Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hobbies 16:02 - Aug 25 with 15196 viewsMatch82

Bear with me a little here.

With everything that's been going on in the last year I've decided that I need to pick up a hobby, just to keep my sanity. I'm struggling to think of something that I really LOVE though, something which would give me something to look forward to on tough or stressful days.

So I'm reaching out to the wonderful people on this board for suggestions. What hobbies or activities have you picked up that you'd recommend? I know this kind of thing depends on what activities I enjoy but that's kind of the point, I have no idea what might be out there that I've never thought of so I'm trying to keep an open mind!

I'm in the US so "going to watch QPR" isn't a realistic option much as I'd like it to be!

Not sure if it matters but I'm about to hit the big 4-0 if that makes any difference to suggestions...
Hobbies on 06:07 - Aug 28 with 1362 viewsdaveinmelbourne

Hobbies on 16:12 - Aug 25 by Metallica_Hoop

Don't play World of Tanks or Warships.

Both used to be fun now it's getting monetized, the game play is toxic and both are full of red stat clickers free xp'ing premiums.

I enjoy picking up a guitar now and again until my fingers hurt and I leave it for a few weeks.

I’m on the NA server on WOT, davidsilo. Yep not as fun as it was, a lot of people haven’t a clue how to play, buying expensive vehicles and ‘camping’ etc. But I still have a laugh with it.
Hobbies on 12:10 - Aug 28 with 1262 viewsMrSheen

Hobbies on 16:20 - Aug 27 by Cliff

As for Crete if you hire a car to get about, I recommend a day at Lake Kournas, it's a fresh water lake with a number of eateries dotted around the edge if you have lunch or even an occasional beverage you can use their sunbeds for free. They also have peddle boat for hire and you can also swim in the lake.

I've heard Samara Gorge can get crowded, when I went I stayed in the south of the island in Frangokastillo, there is a gorge nearby called Impros Gorge. The best way to do this is to drive down to Komitades at the end of the Gorge, park at one of the cafes and ask if they'll give you a lift back up to the top of the Gorge - they all will . or know someone who will for a reasonable price. You can then walk back down and pick up your car, Hora Sfakion, is then nearby if you want somewhere to eat and finish the day in the South.

Finally, I recommend Knossos which is over near Heraklion and was the center of the Minoan empire, where we get the word Minatour from.. Apparently the Romans used to visit the site as a historical site and it was as old to them as roman sites are to us today!

Thanks for the info Cliff. I'm not going to get a car, partly due to the expense, but also so I can have a drink! I take your point about the crowds but I'm hoping they will have thinned out by September. I just checked in for my flight and the plane only looks half full so far, if that's an indicator.
Hobbies on 22:33 - Aug 28 with 1162 viewsJuzzie

Photography.

Gets you out and about (so can be combined with other things) and it can be done on a budget (ish) with a compact (not really worth it IMO) or really chuck a lot of money at it.

A good middle ground is a dSLR with a few dedicated lenses (wide angle/landscape, 50mm prime lens for portraits, zoom lens for animals, buildings etc). Mirrorless is where it’s going but that then means plenty of normal dSLR’s and lenses being offloaded at potentially good prices if you don’t mind a camera that’s not as light as what’s now available.

A have a Canon G10 and a waterproof Fuji XP130 which are my out-with-the-kids or on holiday camera’s and then two Canon bodies (30D and 600D) plus a Canon f1.4 50mm prime lens, Sigma 18-250mm “carry-around” lens and a Canon 70-300mm IS USM (the classic cream coloured ones).

Then there’s post-processing. Lots of fun to be had when you get home with things like photoshop.

From around 2005 at Brands Hatch (first two) and Le Mans.

[Post edited 28 Aug 2021 22:52]
Hobbies on 23:46 - Aug 28 with 1126 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

My allotment is coming along pretty well, and overall is pretty low maintenance. I recommend for anyone.
Hobbies on 00:01 - Aug 29 with 1111 viewsdistortR

Hobbies on 23:46 - Aug 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

My allotment is coming along pretty well, and overall is pretty low maintenance. I recommend for anyone.

f'king monty f'king don

Hobbies on 00:10 - Aug 29 with 1097 viewsCiderwithRsie

Hobbies on 00:01 - Aug 29 by distortR

f'king monty f'king don

I'm thinking of taking up accountancy as a hobby and when I retire I'm going to turn the shed into an office, do a lot of book-keeping and tell everyone how rewarding it is when the ledgers balance and how great it is not to get my hands dirty.
Hobbies on 01:43 - Aug 29 with 1072 viewsDavieQPR

Lots of ideas on here but a fair few that you can only do in good weather and occasionally e.g. golf. Trying to find something that is stress relieving means it should be something that you can do whenever the need. Having an end product normally brings more satisfaction.
Hobbies on 03:05 - Aug 29 with 1051 viewsMatch82

Hobbies on 01:43 - Aug 29 by DavieQPR

Lots of ideas on here but a fair few that you can only do in good weather and occasionally e.g. golf. Trying to find something that is stress relieving means it should be something that you can do whenever the need. Having an end product normally brings more satisfaction.

Yes, I've tried that one
Login to get fewer ads

Hobbies on 09:05 - Aug 29 with 1004 viewsHanwellHoopster

What an excellent thread. Enjoyed reading through.

Like others, I've also picked up golf in lockdown. Always played very casually with mates on pitch and putt courses but I was pretty rubbish, only able to get a clean connection half the time. I've taken lessons at West London Golf Centre which have been worth every penny and have got me to a place where I can enjoy a round. I can relate to what others said about the stress fading away at 8.30am on the tee on Saturday morning. Driving range at night is also good.

Cycling and reading are the other main hobbies for me. Set myself a challenge in lockdown to read 24 books in 2020 and ended up on 22 or something. I try to vary my reading between fiction and non-fiction, but also use Audible for audiobooks which is great for 'reading' while cleaning the house or doing the garden etc. Got very into the garden in lockdown 1 (with the rest of the world) but it's rather suffered since I've had golf lessons.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024