Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Better analyst than coach 07:08 - Mar 7 with 3134 viewsonehunglow

Last three games have seen a pattern
Discuss ,as they say

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Better analyst than coach on 07:22 - Mar 7 with 1974 viewspembsjack

I think the fact that we can perform in the first half and create chances say he is a coach and things will hopefully continue to improve. 7 points out of 3 games shouldn't be sniffed at.
I firmly believe the majority (not all) of the blame sits with the players. Lacklustre and half arsed performances aren't new to the Williams era, they've been there all season. Some of the individual performances make me feel sick, cowards and egos who shouldn't ever wear our shirt.
I hope that he is being fully involved with recruitment for next season, a full clear out is needed,
Better analyst than coach on 07:26 - Mar 7 with 1966 viewsonehunglow

Better analyst than coach on 07:22 - Mar 7 by pembsjack

I think the fact that we can perform in the first half and create chances say he is a coach and things will hopefully continue to improve. 7 points out of 3 games shouldn't be sniffed at.
I firmly believe the majority (not all) of the blame sits with the players. Lacklustre and half arsed performances aren't new to the Williams era, they've been there all season. Some of the individual performances make me feel sick, cowards and egos who shouldn't ever wear our shirt.
I hope that he is being fully involved with recruitment for next season, a full clear out is needed,

Decent reply but I simply don’t agree

Better analyst than coach on 07:32 - Mar 7 with 1959 viewspembsjack

Be boring if we all agreed.

Only time will tell, most important is we are picking up points. Full judgement on Williams next season.
Better analyst than coach on 07:51 - Mar 7 with 1932 viewsonehunglow

Better analyst than coach on 07:32 - Mar 7 by pembsjack

Be boring if we all agreed.

Only time will tell, most important is we are picking up points. Full judgement on Williams next season.

It would
Good man
I'm hoping he buggers off , myself

Better analyst than coach on 08:40 - Mar 7 with 1888 viewsshandyjack

3 great first halves and show we will progress again with Williams at the helm. Second half we run out of steam out wide and don't have the like for like pace to bring on off the bench.
The team is crying out for a decent number 9 who can hold a ball up when we are under the cosh in the second half to take the pressure off. Currently we have to do it with our back 2 to slow the pace down which leads to inevitable mistakes.

Loads of positives to take, 7 pts from 9 , another window with Wiliams able to move on certain players hopefully and bring in more of his own style of players and things are looking up

Poll: Expectation for the season

Better analyst than coach on 09:08 - Mar 7 with 1849 viewsOptimisticJack

Unbeaten run - 7 points from 9

Optimisticjack

Better analyst than coach on 09:14 - Mar 7 with 1838 viewsWhiterockin

As a matter of interest OHL who was the last coach you found acceptable, you seem to have criticised every coach we have had for years.
Better analyst than coach on 09:45 - Mar 7 with 1801 viewsonehunglow

Better analyst than coach on 09:14 - Mar 7 by Whiterockin

As a matter of interest OHL who was the last coach you found acceptable, you seem to have criticised every coach we have had for years.

Morning Whitey.
It’s a question I’ve asked myself.
Do you ever question yourself?

Certain ones stand out for me ,frankly, the ones I don’t like for various reasons .
Martin, Cooper probably top.
Duff doesn’t count as he was too irrelevant
Monk destroyed much of our good

Who did I like ….Sousa ,ludicrously slagged off by many forum luminaries , Martinez, hated by loads who brand him Judas , Rodgers who took us to the promised land ,never to be forgotten .
Tosh ,obviously
Guidelines,cruelly dumped when he was doing a decent job
Yorath
Harry Griffiths
John Hollins .
And obviously Laudrup

Everyone of those was honest and pragmatic .

There ya go

How about you ?
Any you disliked ?

Login to get fewer ads

Better analyst than coach on 10:23 - Mar 7 with 1753 viewsWhiterockin

Better analyst than coach on 09:45 - Mar 7 by onehunglow

Morning Whitey.
It’s a question I’ve asked myself.
Do you ever question yourself?

Certain ones stand out for me ,frankly, the ones I don’t like for various reasons .
Martin, Cooper probably top.
Duff doesn’t count as he was too irrelevant
Monk destroyed much of our good

Who did I like ….Sousa ,ludicrously slagged off by many forum luminaries , Martinez, hated by loads who brand him Judas , Rodgers who took us to the promised land ,never to be forgotten .
Tosh ,obviously
Guidelines,cruelly dumped when he was doing a decent job
Yorath
Harry Griffiths
John Hollins .
And obviously Laudrup

Everyone of those was honest and pragmatic .

There ya go

How about you ?
Any you disliked ?

In the Championship Potter was decent and I wish he had stayed. Cooper bored me senseless but got results, but I still can't forgive him for the play off final. I often wonder if he would have lasted so long if supporters were allowed in the ground during all of his tenure. Martin was frustrating but I honestly believe he was getting somewhere. Duff was a complete cock up from start to finish. Sheehan did a good job and I wonder why we didn't stick with him. Williams has had just two months and some really tough fixtures in there plus a lot of injured players he is trying to nurse back, is he being over cautious because there are serious problems behind the scenes because we have had so many injuries. IMO we have improved massively since Duff but there is a long way to go, he needs time.

Of the older managers many were just managers who came and went but here are a couple and my thoughts.

Harry Griffiths forever in his debt for starting off the Toshack era.
Tosh for all the obvious reasons.
Frankie Burrows hell of a character.
Brian Flynn should have been more committed to us and used us as a plaything.
Martinez I'm biased on this one because I knew him very well, transformed us as a football club.
Sousa probably the most boring manager we have ever had football wise.
Rogers was great for us and took us up, plus changing his contract so we got decent compensation, one of our greats.
Laudrup just brilliant, delivered memories many could only dream off.
Guidolin so unfairly treated, although Monk started the decline the Guidolin sacking accelerated it.
Bradley just useless and where the owners showed their complete lack of football knowledge.
The ones I have missed out are in my opinion neither here or there managers who have not left a mark. I must mention Billy Lucas my first manager who was always great with us when collecting autographs at the players gate.

Probably many will disagree with much of this post.
Better analyst than coach on 10:28 - Mar 7 with 1749 viewsonehunglow

Better analyst than coach on 10:23 - Mar 7 by Whiterockin

In the Championship Potter was decent and I wish he had stayed. Cooper bored me senseless but got results, but I still can't forgive him for the play off final. I often wonder if he would have lasted so long if supporters were allowed in the ground during all of his tenure. Martin was frustrating but I honestly believe he was getting somewhere. Duff was a complete cock up from start to finish. Sheehan did a good job and I wonder why we didn't stick with him. Williams has had just two months and some really tough fixtures in there plus a lot of injured players he is trying to nurse back, is he being over cautious because there are serious problems behind the scenes because we have had so many injuries. IMO we have improved massively since Duff but there is a long way to go, he needs time.

Of the older managers many were just managers who came and went but here are a couple and my thoughts.

Harry Griffiths forever in his debt for starting off the Toshack era.
Tosh for all the obvious reasons.
Frankie Burrows hell of a character.
Brian Flynn should have been more committed to us and used us as a plaything.
Martinez I'm biased on this one because I knew him very well, transformed us as a football club.
Sousa probably the most boring manager we have ever had football wise.
Rogers was great for us and took us up, plus changing his contract so we got decent compensation, one of our greats.
Laudrup just brilliant, delivered memories many could only dream off.
Guidolin so unfairly treated, although Monk started the decline the Guidolin sacking accelerated it.
Bradley just useless and where the owners showed their complete lack of football knowledge.
The ones I have missed out are in my opinion neither here or there managers who have not left a mark. I must mention Billy Lucas my first manager who was always great with us when collecting autographs at the players gate.

Probably many will disagree with much of this post.

Not me. An excellent riposte and thanks for that
I too despised the way VCooper buggered up the play offs .
Unforgivable really.
We will never have a better chance .

Anyway,enjoy the day . Beautiful here and snow on the welsh hills over the Dee estuary .
Gods land indeed.

Better analyst than coach on 11:15 - Mar 7 with 1710 viewsangryjack

Better analyst than coach on 07:51 - Mar 7 by onehunglow

It would
Good man
I'm hoping he buggers off , myself

Give him time he's doing a good job so far,just needs couple better players in certain areas especially up front,can see we better at the press ,he's mixed the dead ball situations up,and we attack with more purpose when we attack..think it will be better as long as the yanks back him in summer,which I don't think happen..
Better analyst than coach on 11:38 - Mar 7 with 1664 viewsjack247

Better analyst than coach on 11:15 - Mar 7 by angryjack

Give him time he's doing a good job so far,just needs couple better players in certain areas especially up front,can see we better at the press ,he's mixed the dead ball situations up,and we attack with more purpose when we attack..think it will be better as long as the yanks back him in summer,which I don't think happen..

Good post Angry. I’m not sure what will happen in the summer, looks like a big turnover of players at the moment.

The last few games we have played well for 45 minutes, sometimes a bit longer, then faded badly and clung on. We weren’t bossing teams at all earlier in the season. We’re progressing slowly and picking up enough points as we’re doing it.
Better analyst than coach on 11:58 - Mar 7 with 1653 viewsonehunglow

Better analyst than coach on 11:15 - Mar 7 by angryjack

We will see Angry boy.
As of now, he doesn’t impress.
He might and that’s fine .

Better analyst than coach on 12:26 - Mar 7 with 1608 viewsPawelAbbott

I don't think Cooper screwed up the play offs so much.
We were looking in a great position for a top 2 finish by February. But, it was clear in the January window that we needed something extra in midfield with Gibbs-White going back.
We brought in the Irish guy from Villa and he started OK and then just strolled around disinterested.
We were playing with 10 men at times and the last games if the season had us picking up almost nothing.
A bit of investment in a quality CAM at that point and we would have finished in the top 2.
Cooper might have been boring but the loan players he brought in are now worth a fortune.
Better analyst than coach on 13:34 - Mar 7 with 1542 viewsangryjack

Better analyst than coach on 11:58 - Mar 7 by onehunglow

We will see Angry boy.
As of now, he doesn’t impress.
He might and that’s fine .

Definitely improved us ans at times enjoyable to watch..some of his decisions baffling but definitely can see he's been doing a lot of work on training field..
Better analyst than coach on 14:22 - Mar 7 with 1487 viewsonehunglow

Better analyst than coach on 13:34 - Mar 7 by angryjack

Definitely improved us ans at times enjoyable to watch..some of his decisions baffling but definitely can see he's been doing a lot of work on training field..

Another good reply .
Don’t agree with you
And that’s fine

Better analyst than coach on 16:08 - Mar 7 with 1409 viewsReslovenSwan1

It seemed to me Martin has a game plan and strategy that in the whole did not work. he spent 2 years of a 3 year contract then left the team in the lurch with a possession heavy game plan.

He talked of gaining possession making the other teams run, 'putting tiredness into they legs' then pick them off when they were tired. The change to 5 subs (correct me if I am wrong) then came in rendering this dubious game plan redundant. It worked on occasions mostly against Cardiff Barnsley and Peterborough.

In the development phase it was Swansea that ran out of gas giving away big first half leads 3-0 v AFCB (3-3) and Reading 1-4 (4-4). These teams just went direct and Swansea could not cope.

Under Duff he wanted Swansea to be tougher and meaner and they just became very boring. The surrenders at CCS being a particular low point.

Williams at least has added pace and a counter attacking threat. He has honest battlers only at no 9 with not much inspiration or brute strength that Swansea have always had.

Williams team at Notts County had a footballing identity. He now has much better players and Watson to help him out. Watson has talked about a complete upgrade of the scouting. I believe that Williams can do serious damage with a proper centre forward and creative midfield player patino should be. If the club is going to loan players then go for 1 or 2 and go for the best.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Better analyst than coach on 17:30 - Mar 7 with 1343 viewsSullutaCreturned

There are signs of improvement but there are also some things that are puzzling, why are we so poor in the second half? Is it entirely dwn to game plan and the subs he makes, are the players wearing themselves out first half?

It's something I'm struggling with, if he's happy to get a first half lead then go a bit more negative then I',concerned because we invite pressure on ourselves.

Maybe he just needs the 3-4 new players and to get better quality on the bench, to cut away dead wood. That comes down to what the owners do.

Time will tell for sure but I can't see a reason for going all negative on our coach just yet.
Better analyst than coach on 17:40 - Mar 7 with 1321 viewsDr_Winston

It's probably worth noting that good first halves followed by poor to horrendous second halves were also a regular occurrence during the Martin era, comparisons to whom Williams still has to do a lot of work to get past.

For me we just about have enough to get points against the poorer teams in the division, but we're still wide open for a proper reaming against the better ones defending the way we do.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Better analyst than coach on 18:11 - Mar 7 with 1280 viewsFlashberryjack

Better analyst than coach on 17:40 - Mar 7 by Dr_Winston

It's probably worth noting that good first halves followed by poor to horrendous second halves were also a regular occurrence during the Martin era, comparisons to whom Williams still has to do a lot of work to get past.

For me we just about have enough to get points against the poorer teams in the division, but we're still wide open for a proper reaming against the better ones defending the way we do.

If football games were 45 minutes long instead of 90, we'd be pushing for promotion.
As you've already said, we've been unable to string two 45 minutes in one game for quite a while now, so it's nothing new.

I'm no football or fitness coach, but if I was, I'd be asking why we can't play for 90 minutes, and certainly looking for ways of remedy it.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Better analyst than coach on 19:22 - Mar 7 with 1218 viewsSullutaCreturned

Better analyst than coach on 18:11 - Mar 7 by Flashberryjack

If football games were 45 minutes long instead of 90, we'd be pushing for promotion.
As you've already said, we've been unable to string two 45 minutes in one game for quite a while now, so it's nothing new.

I'm no football or fitness coach, but if I was, I'd be asking why we can't play for 90 minutes, and certainly looking for ways of remedy it.

We should be fit enough though, wasn't it said that Duff worked the players really hard and he said they'd have to be really fit to play his way.

Yet here were are, a 45 minute team. We can't have lost so much fitness in the time we sacked Duff and appointed Williams so whats going on?

I think Williams is possibly very much like Martin, he has a gameplan and sticks to it no matter what happens on the pitch. If that's it then it's stupid. You can't say before kick off that on 60 minutes we will definitely sub player X but every game around 60-65 minutes we sub someone, usually Allen if he's started.

Our ability to look like Champions for stretches of the first half but relegation fodder in the second, it worries me.
Better analyst than coach on 19:25 - Mar 7 with 1213 viewsDr_Winston

Better analyst than coach on 19:22 - Mar 7 by SullutaCreturned

We should be fit enough though, wasn't it said that Duff worked the players really hard and he said they'd have to be really fit to play his way.

Yet here were are, a 45 minute team. We can't have lost so much fitness in the time we sacked Duff and appointed Williams so whats going on?

I think Williams is possibly very much like Martin, he has a gameplan and sticks to it no matter what happens on the pitch. If that's it then it's stupid. You can't say before kick off that on 60 minutes we will definitely sub player X but every game around 60-65 minutes we sub someone, usually Allen if he's started.

Our ability to look like Champions for stretches of the first half but relegation fodder in the second, it worries me.

Third paragraph is very much my concern at the minute and not seen much since he was appointed to convince me otherwise.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Better analyst than coach on 21:33 - Mar 7 with 1118 viewsjack247

Being the better side for half the match is a big step forward from where we’ve been most of the season. The points we’ve picked up over the last few games reflect that.

Whether he can progress that to an hour or ninety minutes remains to be seen, but let’s not write him off while he’s making progress. Let’s at least wait until that stalls or goes backwards.
Better analyst than coach on 21:48 - Mar 7 with 1113 viewsswancity

Definite progress with players who are fully committed. There’s a good identifiable style to our play. Wide players who are getting at full backs and possession based without taking unnecessary risks are all good positive things to see. And yet some people who would have trouble picking their nose let alone run a professional football club seem to know better. No names mentioned Dr Winston.

Watford were very good in the second half. They have pace and can hurt teams with their intensity albeit they’re on a bad run at the moment they did well after their horrific own goal.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Better analyst than coach on 23:39 - Mar 7 with 1051 viewsscruffyjack

We had two right backs available and he picked a centre half in that position, which is baffling. Still not convinced by Williams, took him 6/7 games to work out that three at the back doesn’t work and a few more to realise that Fulton/Grimes is not a good partnership in the middle.
In addition he’s left our 6’4” centre forward out of the match day squad when we have, at last, pace out wide. Cullen and Yates are not known for their aerial ability and we are limiting our options.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024