Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scottish Leagues 11:52 - May 16 with 1540 viewsenfieldargh

Can somebody please explain (in English) how these leagues actually work?

They play a full league season then split the leagues into top half lower half then there are 2 clubs left in the middle. The play offs are ultra confusing

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Scottish Leagues on 11:54 - May 16 with 1526 viewsNorthernr

This post has been edited by an administrator
Scottish Leagues on 12:10 - May 16 with 1416 viewsaston_hoop

Isn´t the Scottish Premier League basically that League on the Scilly Isles where the same two teams play each other 30 times a season to decide who is this years champion?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Scottish Leagues on 12:16 - May 16 with 1381 viewsBathRanger

Why does the Scottish Premiership split in two?

Fixture balance is seen as the main reason behind the Scottish Premiership split.

With 12 teams in the competition, every club initially faces each other three times, meaning 33 league games are played by each side prior to the split.

If the league didn't split in two at that point, the season would need to consist of 44 matches to ensure balance - six more games than the current system.

Those extra matches would cause significant fixture congestion with the current split allowing for a league break over the Easter period.

In addition to logistics, the split also ensures teams face opponents closer to them on the table at a key point in the season.

Rather than first-place wrapping up the title with a win against the team coming last, they must continue to pick up points against the five sides closest to them on the ladder.

Conversely, the split gives the bottom sides a more even chance of avoiding relegation and creates more last-minute drama.

How does the Scottish Premiership split work?

The Scottish Premiership split sees the competition split in two - divided into a top and bottom six.

Those teams then face off against the other five clubs in their section once to conclude the season.

While clubs can alter their standings in a specific section, a team from the bottom six cannot jump above a side in the top six once the split occurs.

Hibernian, for example, finished seventh before the split, and could finish the season with more points than teams in the top six, but that won't be reflected in the final standings.

When was the split introduced in Scotland?

The split was introduced in 2000 when the Scottish Premiership, then known as the Scottish Premier League, was expanded from 10 clubs to 12.

Prior to expansion, each side played each other four times across a season that lasted 36 matches.

The addition of two clubs, however, saw the competition introduce a split to avoid the need for a further eight league games each season.

Instead, seasons consist of a more manageable 38 matches - the same number as the Premier League.

From https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/football/news/scottish-premiership-split-why-doe
Scottish Leagues on 12:21 - May 16 with 1351 viewsslmrstid

Everyone plays each other so many times until they are all bored stiff and sick of the sight of each other at the prospect of St Mirren v Kilmarnock for the fifth time this season.

Then they have a summer off and get ready to do it all over again.

No wonder they drink so much, having to deal with that.

The Championship to League 2, as they now call it having copied us, is also bonkers, with 10 teams each of everyone getting sick of the sight of each other rather than having bigger leagues, then a sort of pyramid below but the leagues below have to all play off against each other until just one remains, in a sort of Battle Royale situation, to play the team at the bottom of League 2 who they generally absolutely batter because those lower leagues are a much better standard than Scottish League 2, and the League 2 side disappears into those lower leagues never to be seen again (see Albion Rovers, Cowdenbeath, Berwick Rangers, East Stirlingshire etc...)

The promoted side then seems to rocket up the leagues a bit showing how much better those "non-league" teams are than the league sides, until they run out of momentum and the cycle continues.

Or something like that.
Scottish Leagues on 12:44 - May 16 with 1257 viewsDannyPaddox

Scottish Leagues on 12:10 - May 16 by aston_hoop

Isn´t the Scottish Premier League basically that League on the Scilly Isles where the same two teams play each other 30 times a season to decide who is this years champion?

If I remember correct the two teams on the Scillies are Hugh Town & The Garrison. There was controversy in the mid-90s when with a week to go till the end of the season, one of the teams had a game in hand.
[Post edited 16 May 12:46]
Scottish Leagues on 12:51 - May 16 with 1237 viewsBrizR

If you think Scotland's bad, don't look into how Belgium does it...
Scottish Leagues on 12:59 - May 16 with 1215 viewsSydneyRs

Scottish Leagues on 12:16 - May 16 by BathRanger

Why does the Scottish Premiership split in two?

Fixture balance is seen as the main reason behind the Scottish Premiership split.

With 12 teams in the competition, every club initially faces each other three times, meaning 33 league games are played by each side prior to the split.

If the league didn't split in two at that point, the season would need to consist of 44 matches to ensure balance - six more games than the current system.

Those extra matches would cause significant fixture congestion with the current split allowing for a league break over the Easter period.

In addition to logistics, the split also ensures teams face opponents closer to them on the table at a key point in the season.

Rather than first-place wrapping up the title with a win against the team coming last, they must continue to pick up points against the five sides closest to them on the ladder.

Conversely, the split gives the bottom sides a more even chance of avoiding relegation and creates more last-minute drama.

How does the Scottish Premiership split work?

The Scottish Premiership split sees the competition split in two - divided into a top and bottom six.

Those teams then face off against the other five clubs in their section once to conclude the season.

While clubs can alter their standings in a specific section, a team from the bottom six cannot jump above a side in the top six once the split occurs.

Hibernian, for example, finished seventh before the split, and could finish the season with more points than teams in the top six, but that won't be reflected in the final standings.

When was the split introduced in Scotland?

The split was introduced in 2000 when the Scottish Premiership, then known as the Scottish Premier League, was expanded from 10 clubs to 12.

Prior to expansion, each side played each other four times across a season that lasted 36 matches.

The addition of two clubs, however, saw the competition introduce a split to avoid the need for a further eight league games each season.

Instead, seasons consist of a more manageable 38 matches - the same number as the Premier League.

From https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/football/news/scottish-premiership-split-why-doe

We wouldn't have got to beat Leeds, Preston or Coventry under that system 😲
Scottish Leagues on 13:53 - May 16 with 1104 viewseastside_r

Scottish Leagues on 12:51 - May 16 by BrizR

Does it involve kayaking and / or lorry drivers?
Login to get fewer ads

Scottish Leagues on 13:57 - May 16 with 1094 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Someone tried to explain it to me once, but it was just waffle.
Scottish Leagues on 14:53 - May 16 with 971 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Celtic win.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Scottish Leagues on 15:15 - May 16 with 902 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Berwick Rangers are English and should be in our L2.

Free Berwick!!!
Scottish Leagues on 15:42 - May 16 with 817 viewsenfieldargh

I got a headche in just trying to get my head around it.

My old Shoot league tables had Scotland with just 2 divisions there were 18 teams in lge 1 and maybe 19 in league 2

It made no difference as Celtic or Rangers always won it.

I watched the end of St Johnstone V Ross Co last night what a pile of doudou.

I was watching Aberdeen V someone, Junior Hoilet scored 2, he's their #10. Sadly I turned over at 1-0 for the St Johns game which was awful, Aberdeen ended up scoring a hatfull.

I'm sure there is better quality on my local rec.

I thought I would watch Spuds/Citeh but as usual no upset there, all too predictable.

The unpredictability of watching QPR is what makes it so attractive.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Scottish Leagues on 15:52 - May 16 with 771 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Scottish Leagues on 15:15 - May 16 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Berwick Rangers are English and should be in our L2.

Free Berwick!!!

I went and saw Berwick last season and they are non league now.

They played Edinburgh Uni.
Scottish Leagues on 15:56 - May 16 with 746 viewsGloucs_R

If Hibs win less than Hearts but more than Aberdeen and Rangers win just less than Celtic but more than Hearts...

Who wins the league?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Scottish Leagues on 16:48 - May 16 with 647 viewsjtuck

Legal system is a bit strange too.

LAranger

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024