Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective 14:28 - Nov 10 with 4357 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

Yesterday, for the first time this season, I saw a whole QPR game, on a 32 inch TV screen, instead of being limited to a few minutes of highlights on a laptop. It certainly made a difference to my viewing experience, as it allowed me to take in so much more of what was happening and who was making it happen. Usually, I'm squinting and struggling to even identify players on my lappie's tiny screen.

Now, when a live TV match involves (or could potentially involve) Mr N Kranjčar, I don't watch it like a normal person. Yes, of course, I follow the action but, my viewing is Niko-centric! My brain takes in all sorts of tiny details and I observe things that most people don't even notice.

At 12 noon on Saturday, I made sure that my Sky+ box's red light was on. Recording the game is a must, because I tend to miss bits of action during the live broadcast and like to have the chance to replay any interesting incidents or even, as I did yesterday, watch the whole match again.

It’s fascinating to see all the pre-match build up. Did anyone else clock the little snippets from the away dressing room — Niko sat quietly, reading the programme; JJ and Danny Simpson listening to their music? Stuff like that tells you a lot about how players find their focus before a game. Some are very relaxed, while others just like to be alone, to clear their minds and zone in.

Having heard the team news before the TV broadcast started, I knew that Niko had passed his morning fitness test and was on the bench. This was music to my ears, as I think a start would have been too ambitious. But 20-30 minutes as a second half substitute would have been manageable. However, when I watched the players warming up, taking a pace and lifting each knee up towards their chests, I saw Niko grimace, as he lifted his left knee, to stretch his hamstring. That told me he was still feeling some discomfort.

And so, the game began. A lively first fifteen minutes — Matt Phillips & Junior Hoilett were bright and full of running. Alas, it didn’t take long for Reading to figure this out and stop the supply of balls to them. Then, on the half hour mark, JJ sank to the floor, holding his right thigh. Instantly, there was movement on the subs bench. Of course, I always enjoy seeing Niko taking his clothes off but, on this occasion, it was much too early in the proceedings and I feared for him, having to play until half time, then stop and start again for the second half.

That spell up to the break was tricky for Rangers. Reading were coming more into the game and the R’s had to adjust to the change Niko’s arrival had made, as well as protecting Richard Dunne, who was obviously struggling with an injury. They did well to keep the score at 0-0.

Second half saw the arrival of Onuoha and again, a little adjustment time was needed, to accommodate the new player in defence. Within the first few minutes, Niko played two balls, one to Hoilett, one to Phillips, allowing them both to go running again, which was good to see. Unfortunately, later in the half, Hoilett also suffered an injury in the thigh area, which put paid to any more runs. Credit to him, though, for staying on the field (all 3 subs had already been made, by this time). In the past, I have seen Premiership players, including one from my own club ‘Spurs, walk off and have no qualms about leaving the team to struggle on with 10 men.

The Reading goal was unfortunate. A highly-dubious throw-in awarded to them and, ten seconds later, Garath McCleary’s wonder-strike was in the back of the net. It WAS a good hit, though!

My concerns for Niko grew, mid-way through the half, when I saw him flexing his left leg, two or three times. Having said that, he seemed to get a second wind, after AJ came on in the 68th minute. The Hoops’ number 19 put in a real shift for the team yesterday, probably to his own detriment, as I now have major doubts about him being fit enough to start for Croatia in their crucial World Cup play-off against Iceland on Friday.

And then came the equaliser! A free kick on the edge of the box. During the match, I had asked on Twitter: “Why does Joey Barton have to take ALL the QPR set pieces?”, so it came as no surprise when JB picked up the ball. One of the posters from this forum, who I speak to on Twitter said: “I noticed Niko badly wanted the free kick that Joey scored from”. Well, I’m not so sure!

If you observed the action like I did, you’ll have seen NK share a few whispered words with Barton, before the kick was taken. I reckon Niko was telling him where to aim, because he (Niko) then wandered off; took a place in the Reading wall and leaned on Chris Gunter, who was stood at the end of the wall. As Joey prepared to strike, Niko moved, taking Gunter with him and the ball went straight through the gap that was created. Take a look at the whole incident again and you’ll see what I mean! Unfortunately, the video clip on the official site starts just after the ‘whispered words’ bit.

Now, my next observation won’t win me any popularity contests on this forum! Firstly, let me say that Joey’s decision to celebrate his goal by running to the bench, grabbing Ale Faurlin’s shirt and holding it up to the travelling fans was a lovely, touching, supportive gesture to an injured colleague and I applaud him for the sentiment. However, that goal was an equaliser, not a match winner! There were only 12 minutes to go before the end of the game — time during which Rangers could potentially have snatched the win! The professional thing to do would have been to grab the ball out of the net; hurtle back to the centre spot and get the game re-started as quickly as possible, to maximise the amount of time left to get a second goal. One player did this, but when he saw what was going on in front of the dug-out, he went over to join in, probably realising that it would look churlish if he didn’t. It’s just my opinion and you can flame me for it, if you like, but I felt that the Faurlin tribute would have been more apt after a QPR winning goal …. or better still, after a QPR goal in the next home game.

All in all, I enjoyed the match, although Rangers are capable of better and, once the temporary injury crisis is over, I anticipate some good performances ahead.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2013 15:38]
Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 14:33 - Nov 10 with 4326 viewsqueensparker

I hate to say it OHFTN, but I thought your man was poor yesterday, looked well off the pace and wanted far too much time on the ball. He gave it away unnecessarily 4/5 times in the last 20 mins when we were moving forward.
Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 14:37 - Nov 10 with 4312 viewsizlingtonhoop

You don't seem to mention that Crunchie looked like he's spent a lot of money in the chip shop since we last saw him...
[Post edited 10 Nov 2013 14:43]
Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 14:42 - Nov 10 with 4284 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 14:33 - Nov 10 by queensparker

I hate to say it OHFTN, but I thought your man was poor yesterday, looked well off the pace and wanted far too much time on the ball. He gave it away unnecessarily 4/5 times in the last 20 mins when we were moving forward.

Hmmm ..... having watched it twice, I recognise the spell of the game you're referring to and would say that he was dispossessed two, maybe three times, during a period when he was really struggling with the injury and could barely run (and he's not the greatest runner, at the best of times).

But yes, I agree, due to the circumstances, it wasn't one of his better days.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2013 16:29]
Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 14:46 - Nov 10 with 4266 viewsLoft1979

Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 14:37 - Nov 10 by izlingtonhoop

You don't seem to mention that Crunchie looked like he's spent a lot of money in the chip shop since we last saw him...

Personally, I appreciate your offering of your perspective.
Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 14:57 - Nov 10 with 4235 viewsDieByYourSide

Seek help

Poll: And it's hi ho

Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 15:03 - Nov 10 with 4217 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 14:37 - Nov 10 by izlingtonhoop

No, sorry - I'm not having that one!

You need to look back to my very first post on here for my explanation! He's 6ft 1" and a chunky boy - you can't do much about what nature hands you. But see him shirtless and he really isn't fat!

Before last year's Euros, Croatia's players did these 5 minute video clips (one for each player) in which they talked to camera about themselves, their lives and their football careers. One of the things in Niko's clip was the question of people going on about his weight. He said it's been a trauma since the early days of his football career and even to this day, he weighs himself every morning: " .... just to see if I accidentally put on a 100g".
Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 15:09 - Nov 10 with 4200 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 14:57 - Nov 10 by DieByYourSide

Seek help

Why, thank you for your concern, but I am perfectly mentally stable.

And if, as I suspect, you have an issue with a woman who can write about football better than you can, why not put me on your 'ignore' list, eh? I'm not begging or demanding that anyone should read my musings!

Just because you don't personally like my take on things, is there any real need to try and make me look small? It just makes you look like a cowardly, cyber bully!
[Post edited 10 Nov 2013 15:10]
Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 15:16 - Nov 10 with 4168 viewsTacticalR

Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 15:03 - Nov 10 by OnlyHereForTheNiko

No, sorry - I'm not having that one!

You need to look back to my very first post on here for my explanation! He's 6ft 1" and a chunky boy - you can't do much about what nature hands you. But see him shirtless and he really isn't fat!

Before last year's Euros, Croatia's players did these 5 minute video clips (one for each player) in which they talked to camera about themselves, their lives and their football careers. One of the things in Niko's clip was the question of people going on about his weight. He said it's been a trauma since the early days of his football career and even to this day, he weighs himself every morning: " .... just to see if I accidentally put on a 100g".

Yes OnlyHereForTheNiko explained all this ages ago. It's an optical illusion produced by jumpers. Because Niko is a man of many layers.

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 15:29 - Nov 10 with 4129 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

And the really frustrating thing is that while someone in this thread has been keen for me to get mental help and someone else thinks Niko's too fat, no-one has passed comment on the issue I would have liked to have heard your thoughts on - the goal celebration!

Oh well
Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 15:38 - Nov 10 with 4093 viewsbobby

What do you think about the beard OHFTN?

http://twitter.com/#/bobbyosborne1

Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 16:15 - Nov 10 with 4020 viewsted_hendrix

Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 15:29 - Nov 10 by OnlyHereForTheNiko

And the really frustrating thing is that while someone in this thread has been keen for me to get mental help and someone else thinks Niko's too fat, no-one has passed comment on the issue I would have liked to have heard your thoughts on - the goal celebration!

Oh well

*the goal celebration! *

There was excessive man hugging followed by a quick turn to the right to give fatty in the Reading end the finger, that sort of thing.
Any player who kisses the badge when he scores should be shot dead at the end of the game.
Any player who runs over to the corner flag and does a stupid unrecognisable dance after he scores should also be shot dead at the end of the game.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 23:06 - Nov 10 with 3718 viewsToast_R

Niko played like a bit of fancy Dan yesterday. I expected more from him.
Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 03:07 - Nov 15 with 3478 viewsSonofNorfolt

Not too bad a synopsis.
For a bird.

A QPR midfield containing a fit Barton, Faurlin, Krancjar would have been a perfect.
Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 05:06 - Nov 15 with 3468 viewsDubaiR

I think we need to see a picture. Your posts are very good but I have my suspicions that you are In fact NK himself posing as a woman trying to get support;)

I think he/you will be a very good player for us but needs to stay fit to get fit.
Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 10:29 - Nov 15 with 3372 viewsAlvarado

Reading v QPR, from the weird, stalker-woman's perspective on 15:09 - Nov 10 by OnlyHereForTheNiko

Why, thank you for your concern, but I am perfectly mentally stable.

And if, as I suspect, you have an issue with a woman who can write about football better than you can, why not put me on your 'ignore' list, eh? I'm not begging or demanding that anyone should read my musings!

Just because you don't personally like my take on things, is there any real need to try and make me look small? It just makes you look like a cowardly, cyber bully!
[Post edited 10 Nov 2013 15:10]

What she said.

Thanks for the perspective OHFTN.

Also Dubai I don't think it's really Kranjcar, the English looks too much like it's written by someone with mother tongue English.

Re the goal celebration, perhaps you have a point. I would say it probably wasn't thought through in that much detail. And if it's professionalism you're seeking, I wouldn't start with Joey (though I admit he has his moments).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024