Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loan thread 22:07 - Mar 14 with 3588 viewsTreforys_Jack

When did "loan" players become a thing ? Listening to soccer Saturday and it was game after game where the goal scorer was on loan from another team. I know we've done relatively well using the loan market, but surely its detrimental to the sport.
I think it was Chelsea who had 20 odd players out on loan that cannot be right. It distorts whatever division these players are loaned to.

Edit
First players I remember being on loan to us were John Salako or Joey Beauchamp, any earlier?
[Post edited 14 Mar 2022 22:10]
Loan thread on 22:17 - Mar 14 with 2997 viewsKeithHaynes

Spot on they have 20 plus, frightening.
I think this sanction thing has affected the ones they have though.
Salako definitely, the original Joe Allon, I think we had Terry Phelan on a free ?
It’s tough to recall anyone pre Salako / Allon.

Watch, someone will have a list now.

Edit. There was a Scottish bloke in 1972 I’m reliably informed by what’s app. Anyone ?

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Loan thread on 22:26 - Mar 14 with 2976 viewsSTID2017

Wasnt Jimmy Rimmer and Dai Davies on loan to us at some point to us ?

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Loan thread on 22:34 - Mar 14 with 2967 viewsTenbySwan

Watching Palace v City tonight.

Guehi and Gallagher starring for Palace , two we helped develop them but they belong to someone else.

I would much rather develop our own players.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2022 22:36]
Loan thread on 22:57 - Mar 14 with 2949 viewsTreforys_Jack

Loan thread on 22:17 - Mar 14 by KeithHaynes

Salako definitely, the original Joe Allon, I think we had Terry Phelan on a free ?

Edit. There was a Scottish bloke in 1972 I’m reliably informed by what’s app. Anyone ?

Just seems something that's really bad for most teams and the integrity of the sport.
Loan thread on 23:08 - Mar 14 with 2937 viewsSTID2017

Loan thread on 22:17 - Mar 14 by KeithHaynes

SANDY ALLAN
Scottish striker Sandy Allan had a loan spell at Swansea City during the 1972-73 season. A former amateur with Barnsley and Doncaster Rovers, he was a prolific goalscorer for Rhyl prior to joining Cardiff City for £12,500 in March 1967. He netted a hat-trick against Mjondalen in the 1969-70 ECWC and moved to Bristol Rovers for £12,500 in March 1970. Harry Gregg signed him on loan in March 1973 and he scored once in seven League games for struggling Swansea. He joined Cape Town City in March 1974, then had a spell as Harrogate Railway's player-boss before returning to South Africa to set up a window company.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Loan thread on 23:41 - Mar 14 with 2928 viewsReslovenSwan1

Chelsea and Man Utd areeffectively manipulating the Champounship by "picking winners".

Chelsea withdrew Gallagher from Charlton stuggling to give to Swansea doing well.

The reverse happened with Laird leaving struggling Swansea to go to Bournemouth.

Somme executive at these clubs are effectively loading the dice and making the championship as noncompetitive as the premier league. Giles went from Cardiff to Blackburn.

If the big clubs get a bonus of a increased payment for a permanent transfer on promotion it is border line rigging and potentially corrupt.

Birch should loo at it. He however was the man that allowed the players to be in a photo shoot for the now discredited BLM movement,

Wise sage since Toshack era

Loan thread on 23:51 - Mar 14 with 2924 viewsTreforys_Jack

Loan thread on 23:41 - Mar 14 by ReslovenSwan1

Chelsea and Man Utd areeffectively manipulating the Champounship by "picking winners".

Chelsea withdrew Gallagher from Charlton stuggling to give to Swansea doing well.

The reverse happened with Laird leaving struggling Swansea to go to Bournemouth.

Somme executive at these clubs are effectively loading the dice and making the championship as noncompetitive as the premier league. Giles went from Cardiff to Blackburn.

If the big clubs get a bonus of a increased payment for a permanent transfer on promotion it is border line rigging and potentially corrupt.

Birch should loo at it. He however was the man that allowed the players to be in a photo shoot for the now discredited BLM movement,

Agree with most of that.
Loan thread on 07:21 - Mar 15 with 2878 viewsgrabsplatter

Loan thread on 22:26 - Mar 14 by STID2017

Wasnt Jimmy Rimmer and Dai Davies on loan to us at some point to us ?

Yes, we had Jimmy Rimmer on loan from Manchester Utd in 73 I think.
Login to get fewer ads

Loan thread on 08:34 - Mar 15 with 2855 viewstheloneranger

3 Man City youngsters came here on loan in 1972.

Jeff Johnson, Phil Henson and Keith Hanvey.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Loan thread on 09:08 - Mar 15 with 2836 viewsKeithHaynes

Loan thread on 08:34 - Mar 15 by theloneranger

3 Man City youngsters came here on loan in 1972.

Jeff Johnson, Phil Henson and Keith Hanvey.

This is what it’s all about 👍 Top stuff TLR

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Loan thread on 10:31 - Mar 15 with 2788 viewstheloneranger

Bobby Owen also came here on loan from Man City in 1970.

Loan thread on 11:01 - Mar 15 with 2768 viewsWhiterockin

Loan thread on 10:31 - Mar 15 by theloneranger

Bobby Owen also came here on loan from Man City in 1970.

Did Vic Gomersall do the same or was he a straight signing.
Loan thread on 12:43 - Mar 15 with 2727 viewstheloneranger

Loan thread on 11:01 - Mar 15 by Whiterockin

Did Vic Gomersall do the same or was he a straight signing.

Paid approx £5K for Vic from Man City in 1966.

Loan thread on 13:08 - Mar 15 with 2708 viewsWhiterockin

Loan thread on 12:43 - Mar 15 by theloneranger

Paid approx £5K for Vic from Man City in 1966.

Thanks. That would have been a lot of money for us in those days. I remember him coaching me at underhill. Players use to coach locally on those days.
Loan thread on 20:13 - Mar 15 with 2653 viewsCatullus

Didn't Chelsea have 35 out on loan a few seasons back? Several at their Dutch "feeder" team.

The rules should be changed. These players at Chelsea, 19/19/20 years old and on wages we could never afford if they were first team regulars here. it is harming the sport as a whole and simply reinforcing the dominance of a few teams at the top.

It's money again.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Loan thread on 23:09 - Mar 15 with 2609 viewsTreforys_Jack

Loan thread on 20:13 - Mar 15 by Catullus

Didn't Chelsea have 35 out on loan a few seasons back? Several at their Dutch "feeder" team.

The rules should be changed. These players at Chelsea, 19/19/20 years old and on wages we could never afford if they were first team regulars here. it is harming the sport as a whole and simply reinforcing the dominance of a few teams at the top.

It's money again.

Indeed, Premier teams are directly influencing other divisions and not just Prem teams, how many players do we currently have out on loan ?
Loan thread on 00:58 - Mar 16 with 2582 viewsWhiterockin

Loan thread on 23:09 - Mar 15 by Treforys_Jack

Indeed, Premier teams are directly influencing other divisions and not just Prem teams, how many players do we currently have out on loan ?

Exactly it could be said of us in league one favoring Lincoln, but in all honesty we have not helped them..
Loan thread on 06:36 - Mar 16 with 2561 viewsgrabsplatter

Carter-Vickers is still a Spurs player but he's nowhere near good enough to play for their first team.
He's now at Celtic, that's his 7th different loan spell, absolutely ridiculous!
Loan thread on 12:26 - Mar 16 with 2531 viewsProfessor

More a sea change of longer term loans. Salako, Lampard and John Hendry were for a month or two more often than not just a short term cover which were fine from both sides

Siggurdson and De Guzman were a change in being for longer terms. It seems crazy we have youngsters out in League 1 & 2 and bring in PL youngsters to cover-albeit some like Guehi have been great for us.
Loan thread on 21:35 - Mar 25 with 2432 viewsTenbySwan

At the Wales v Austria game, 5 starting players came through the Swanssa City academy. Almost half the team.

Joe Allen, Ben Davies, Joe Rodon, Dan James and Connor Roberts.

This made me very proud.

We should always look to bring through our own players.
Loan thread on 19:10 - Apr 15 with 2258 viewsTreforys_Jack

I see Chelsea have refused Crystal Palace permission to play Connor Gallagher which just goes to further highlight the ridiculous loan situation. They have directly weakened Palace, or have Palace been falsely strengthened all season. Whole system stinks.
Loan thread on 19:13 - Apr 15 with 2244 viewsWhiterockin

Loan thread on 19:10 - Apr 15 by Treforys_Jack

I see Chelsea have refused Crystal Palace permission to play Connor Gallagher which just goes to further highlight the ridiculous loan situation. They have directly weakened Palace, or have Palace been falsely strengthened all season. Whole system stinks.

Why would you allow one of your players to play against you? It is normally written into the loan contract that this is not permitted.
Loan thread on 21:12 - Apr 15 with 2182 viewsTreforys_Jack

Loan thread on 19:13 - Apr 15 by Whiterockin

Why would you allow one of your players to play against you? It is normally written into the loan contract that this is not permitted.

Exactly, that's why the system is flawed. If you loan a player then he should be allowed to play against any side , even the parent club.
Loan thread on 23:01 - Apr 15 with 2147 viewsBillyChong

Loan thread on 23:41 - Mar 14 by ReslovenSwan1

Weren’t you all for the Arriola and Morris loans?
Loan thread on 04:20 - Apr 16 with 2112 viewsKilkennyjack

Fabio Borini was a great loan signing. Brenda take a bow.

Keith Lowe from Wolves played a handful of games for us but one was a wembley final. I was not a big fan.

Beware of the Risen People

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024