Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Somme 18:57 - Apr 29 with 1914 viewsTreforys_Jack

I'm off to the Somme the week after next, visiting Mametz, and various other battlefield sites, memorials and cemeteries. I'll be paying my respects to recently discovered family members who paid the ultimate sacrifice. If anyone wants me to pay respects ot take photographs of any specific headstones, I'll be more than happy to oblige if I can. It's an organised trip so the itinerary is set, but I intend travelling out in the evenings to a few sites in and around Amiens. Drop me a pm.
The Somme on 19:43 - Apr 29 with 1889 viewsbonymine

Hope you have a memorable and fulfilling experience it’s still on my bucket list but had a few ‘topsy turvy’ years shall we say so yet to get over there !!

All the best mate catch up soon 👍👊

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

The Somme on 21:46 - Apr 29 with 1855 viewsbritferry

I would love to do it, especially to see one of the craters of the mines they left off on the first morning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochnagar_mine

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

The Somme on 22:17 - Apr 29 with 1839 viewsLohengrin

For the OP: Mate, if you’re packing just the one book to read as you travel make it this one.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Somme on 23:01 - Apr 29 with 1821 viewsTreforys_Jack

The Somme on 19:43 - Apr 29 by bonymine

Hope you have a memorable and fulfilling experience it’s still on my bucket list but had a few ‘topsy turvy’ years shall we say so yet to get over there !!

All the best mate catch up soon 👍👊

Cheers, get on it Toby, it becomes addictive, this is my 6th roadtrip, but my first to Mametz.

Definitely catch up soon mate
The Somme on 23:06 - Apr 29 with 1817 viewsTreforys_Jack

The Somme on 22:17 - Apr 29 by Lohengrin

For the OP: Mate, if you’re packing just the one book to read as you travel make it this one.

Cheers Loh, Just ordered.
The Somme on 20:48 - Apr 30 with 1765 viewsLohengrin

The Somme on 23:06 - Apr 29 by Treforys_Jack

Cheers Loh, Just ordered.

Before I forget, though I must surely have mentioned this title before, you really need a copy of what I would regard as the best anthology of writings from the Western Front I’ve ever come across. I’ve got scores of similar collections on the shelves but this one stands head and shoulders above anything else I’ve acquired in forty-odd years of collecting.

The fact you can pick up a copy for as little as a few quid is astonishing value, theft almost!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Somme on 23:01 - Apr 30 with 1731 viewsTreforys_Jack

The Somme on 20:48 - Apr 30 by Lohengrin

Before I forget, though I must surely have mentioned this title before, you really need a copy of what I would regard as the best anthology of writings from the Western Front I’ve ever come across. I’ve got scores of similar collections on the shelves but this one stands head and shoulders above anything else I’ve acquired in forty-odd years of collecting.

The fact you can pick up a copy for as little as a few quid is astonishing value, theft almost!

Will check it out, cheers.
The Somme on 23:54 - Apr 30 with 1722 viewsThrasher6

You're doing something respectful...savior it...not for yourself but for them. They were exactly like you, me and everyone when they died. Full of so many good qualities...

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Login to get fewer ads

The Somme on 12:27 - May 1 with 1686 viewsTreforys_Jack

The Somme on 23:54 - Apr 30 by Thrasher6

You're doing something respectful...savior it...not for yourself but for them. They were exactly like you, me and everyone when they died. Full of so many good qualities...

Indeed, it's tragic when you look at the ages on the headstones and how cheaply lives were thrown away. Looking at the world today, we've still not learnt anything at all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024