Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea fans 18:45 - Aug 10 with 4480 viewspencoedjack

Do we give managers enough time?

Feel I have been very supportive of Martin (as I always am with managers)but along with what seems like the majority that support has gone.

We have been pretty lucky with managers with a few going onto bigger things.

Is a year enough time for a manager before the fans turn or have we been spoilt in recent years?
Swansea fans on 19:12 - Aug 10 with 1602 viewsguthrieintherain

If he showed that he was prepared to adapt yes.
But he won't and his pressers are getting very odd indeed.

Perhaps he fancies a big off.

Only football rewards abject failiure.

Poll: What will happen with Morgan Whittaker

Swansea fans on 20:36 - Aug 10 with 1554 viewsKeithHaynes

Pencoed is a proper swans fan, objective and a realist.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea fans on 20:44 - Aug 10 with 1519 viewsonehunglow

Many managers have done well out of our club and become top managers .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea fans on 20:46 - Aug 10 with 1522 viewsDr_Parnassus

Of course it is enough time.

He is now our longest serving manager since Garry Monk almost a decade ago (Cooper aside of course).

If over a year is not enough time, then what is… would be the question.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Swansea fans on 20:55 - Aug 10 with 1500 viewsAndyCole

Swansea fans on 20:36 - Aug 10 by KeithHaynes

Then maybe pencoed ought to proffer his own insight and answer his own question.

Too many have latched on to the Martinball schmooze, without thinking objectively.

The fact that only now some are waking up speaks volumes.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Swansea fans on 20:59 - Aug 10 with 1478 viewsonehunglow

Why the subtle dig Keith.
I’m not dumb,matey.
That is not on,frankly.
Proper fans care and are seldom patient

It is easy to make out one is a great fan on here. Just post that which is easily swallowed

Swansea fans on 21:08 - Aug 10 with 1473 viewspencoedjack

Swansea fans on 20:55 - Aug 10 by AndyCole

Then maybe pencoed ought to proffer his own insight and answer his own question.

Too many have latched on to the Martinball schmooze, without thinking objectively.

The fact that only now some are waking up speaks volumes.

With respect posters who have no positivity towards a new manager, newly signed players & in general a negative opinion about my football club are not worthy of a response,

You can count yourself lucky on this occasion.

Lets get back on topic before we have a 'told you so' thread.
Swansea fans on 21:17 - Aug 10 with 1444 viewsJack11

All you ever ask for as a fan is progress, even if it’s slow and there are bad days. What is unforgivable is no progress and no learning. I think as a fan base we’re better than decent in regards to seeing the bigger picture. In recent times we saw progress with Potter, some really flakey and naive performances but you could see there was a work in progress and he had our backing unequivocally. Same to a large extent with Cooper too. Martin is a different story though. Things are not getting better, there’s no sign of improvement or learning. We must be the easiest team in the top few leagues to prepare to play against. I’d be amazed if opposition even bothered sending scouts down to be honest.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea fans on 21:20 - Aug 10 with 1423 viewsonehunglow

Swansea fans on 21:08 - Aug 10 by pencoedjack

With respect posters who have no positivity towards a new manager, newly signed players & in general a negative opinion about my football club are not worthy of a response,

You can count yourself lucky on this occasion.

Lets get back on topic before we have a 'told you so' thread.

With respect to you,no fan owes any manger anything. The manager has to earn his corn. Martin hasn’t .

Some fans are demonstrative,sone aren’t

No fan is better than another

Swansea fans on 21:29 - Aug 10 with 1416 viewspencoedjack

Swansea fans on 21:17 - Aug 10 by Jack11

All you ever ask for as a fan is progress, even if it’s slow and there are bad days. What is unforgivable is no progress and no learning. I think as a fan base we’re better than decent in regards to seeing the bigger picture. In recent times we saw progress with Potter, some really flakey and naive performances but you could see there was a work in progress and he had our backing unequivocally. Same to a large extent with Cooper too. Martin is a different story though. Things are not getting better, there’s no sign of improvement or learning. We must be the easiest team in the top few leagues to prepare to play against. I’d be amazed if opposition even bothered sending scouts down to be honest.

Yep agree with that.

I also think the vast majority of fans are very supportive of managers (& players) & give more slack than a lot fans from other clubs.
Swansea fans on 21:30 - Aug 10 with 1411 viewsCatullus

A year is plenty, specially when things actually look worse.

At some clubs a manager is lucky to get a few months.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Swansea fans on 21:51 - Aug 10 with 1383 viewsSwans9

Flynn was let go when we finished tenth in league 2 and he brought alot of good players in Britton Martinez Trundle Tate. Jackett got us out of league 2 and nearly out of league 1 also had his cards. If Martin does go at some point the yanks will look for the cheapest alternative available. Imagine Cameron Toshack turning the job down.
Swansea fans on 21:57 - Aug 10 with 1374 viewsSTID2017

Swansea fans on 21:29 - Aug 10 by pencoedjack

Yep agree with that.

I also think the vast majority of fans are very supportive of managers (& players) & give more slack than a lot fans from other clubs.

I must say the support given to Martin last night through the game was very positive.
Even at the end there were certainly no choruses of disenchantment.
Not to say we were not unhappy, just not a reflection of the posts on here.
Does that say more about the fans who follow the team home and away or the general mindset of some of the more veriforous posters on here ?
Not sure myself

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Swansea fans on 22:05 - Aug 10 with 1370 viewsCatullus

Swansea fans on 19:12 - Aug 10 by guthrieintherain

If he showed that he was prepared to adapt yes.
But he won't and his pressers are getting very odd indeed.

Perhaps he fancies a big off.

Only football rewards abject failiure.

Nah, politics too.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Swansea fans on 22:09 - Aug 10 with 1364 viewsCatullus

Swansea fans on 21:57 - Aug 10 by STID2017

I must say the support given to Martin last night through the game was very positive.
Does that say more about the fans who follow the team home and away or the general mindset of some of the more veriforous posters on here ?
Not sure myself

Maybe what helped there was us scoring early and actually dominating a game, then we go the second so everybody was happy.

I would imagine the atmosphere was somewhat different as the penalties started and quite a bit worse when Sorinola missed.

Swansea fans on 22:13 - Aug 10 with 1359 viewsFireboy2

Swansea fans on 22:09 - Aug 10 by Catullus

Maybe what helped there was us scoring early and actually dominating a game, then we go the second so everybody was happy.

I would imagine the atmosphere was somewhat different as the penalties started and quite a bit worse when Sorinola missed.

As G said 'at the end'

Tbh I'm quite surprised that they never got booed off.
Swansea fans on 22:17 - Aug 10 with 1356 viewspencoedjack

Not sure myself

I think Martin will see a change in the support he has received from Swans fans if we lose Saturday & in the following home games against Millwall & Luton.

That said football fans are very fickle & a decent result changes everything.

Those who follow the Swans up & down the country (of which I was once one) are the most important.

Didn’t see the game last night but I’m surprised he still has it.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 22:26]
Swansea fans on 22:22 - Aug 10 with 1349 viewsCatullus

Swansea fans on 22:13 - Aug 10 by Fireboy2

As G said 'at the end'

Tbh I'm quite surprised that they never got booed off.

Yeah which I said atmosphere, if they didn't leave there feeling very disappointed then something was wrong but when our second went in I'd imagine there were wld celebrations.

Swansea fans on 22:39 - Aug 10 with 1325 viewsTreforys_Jack

That will upset a few no doubt, but you're right. We do have some self entitled followers always demanding unrealistic transfers and performances. That said, RM has had pretty much unwavering support on matchdays, but that definitely changed last Saturday, it was a pretty toxic atmosphere by 16:45.
Swansea fans on 23:01 - Aug 10 with 1304 viewsSTID2017

Swansea fans on 22:22 - Aug 10 by Catullus

Yeah which I said atmosphere, if they didn't leave there feeling very disappointed then something was wrong but when our second went in I'd imagine there were wld celebrations.

Yes we all left there disappointed not to have secured the win after ( of course ) cheering both goals.
However we have virtually all witnessed worse cup defeats, other teams lost to lower league opposition and so we need to keep it in perspective.
Three games from now and the fickle fans who follow the Swans could well be applauding RM again.
Such is football

Swansea fans on 00:10 - Aug 11 with 1275 viewsDr_Parnassus

Not sure myself

What about the chorus of boos in the last league game then?

It’s funny people seem to conveniently decide to not hear the obvious. On the other site there is a thread discussion on the clear booing at half time and at full time.

This “everyone that does is happy” line that seems to have been invented in the last 6 months is hilarious.

Swansea fans on 00:14 - Aug 11 with 1272 viewsDr_Parnassus

So has anyone come up with a timeframe of what constitutes “long enough”?

Remember this will have to be consistent going forward and also going back. So if we decide 2 years is what we give a manager, that means Bob Bradley should have been afforded the same luxury.

What you decide is the amount of time afforded to Russell should be consistent regardless of manager.

So how long do you think we should have given Bob Bradley? Whatever that answer is, should be the same in this instance.

I have always said that in any long term goal, you need short term targets and metrics to hit to ensure progression - I would say Russell Martin has missed every single one of those.

Swansea fans on 00:38 - Aug 11 with 1268 viewsSTID2017

Swansea fans on 00:10 - Aug 11 by Dr_Parnassus

What about the chorus of boos in the last league game then?

It’s funny people seem to conveniently decide to not hear the obvious. On the other site there is a thread discussion on the clear booing at half time and at full time.

This “everyone that does is happy” line that seems to have been invented in the last 6 months is hilarious.

Clearly I am talking about last night in isolation ?
Even you can acknowledge that ?
Not suggesting last Saturday's reaction wasn't very different, am I ?

Swansea fans on 00:45 - Aug 11 with 1260 viewsDr_Parnassus

Swansea fans on 00:38 - Aug 11 by STID2017

Clearly I am talking about last night in isolation ?
Even you can acknowledge that ?
Not suggesting last Saturday's reaction wasn't very different, am I ?

Your point was the fans that physically attended have a different opinion to those who didn’t. That’s a general point.

But for reference I was extremely unhappy when I saw us lose 5-0 to Tottenham away and also Laudrups last game at West Ham. Both performances were pathetic - I didn’t boo once.

Not booing isn’t a sign of support.

Swansea fans on 01:12 - Aug 11 with 1252 viewsSTID2017

Swansea fans on 00:45 - Aug 11 by Dr_Parnassus

Your point was the fans that physically attended have a different opinion to those who didn’t. That’s a general point.

But for reference I was extremely unhappy when I saw us lose 5-0 to Tottenham away and also Laudrups last game at West Ham. Both performances were pathetic - I didn’t boo once.

Not booing isn’t a sign of support.

For reference I have seen many awful performances and results since the early 70's ( pre Harry Gregg days ).
I have never booed or left a game early.
Doesn't mean I was happy with the performances, results, etc.
Just talking about the reaction at Oxford and suggesting that maybe ( or maybe not ) the fans who attended had a different perspective on events to those who relied on reports and clips of the game.
Those same supporters who attended on Tuesday may well react differently if we get mauled on Saturday at Blackpool or at the next home game

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024