Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rules of Engagement: Johnalot 21:36 - Aug 11 with 2273 viewsAndyCole

It would be good to get some clarity from you on the current Rules of what's acceptable to post and what isn't.

I absolutely get the Charity thread sentiment posted by Keith. However when it gets to the stage that far more intelligent folk than you are confused by your modus operandi on here nowadays, you need to act, and provide some clarity.

Many threads have been deleted by you. Many posts have been deleted - all without rationale nor explanation. Confusion abounds.

I have recently had a fair few posts deleted by you - with no explanation, whatsoever. Yet similar posts by less intelligent happy clapper sheeple are not deleted. What the heck ?

For the avoidance of doubt, John - Please set out, in your own words, the current Rules of Engagement, John.

TIA......

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 21:47 - Aug 11 with 1450 views73__73

If there’s going to be censorship on here, then the site will slowly die.

Since johnalot has become a mod, censorship has been definitely creeping forward.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 22:17 - Aug 11 with 1424 viewsSirjohnalot

Hi Andy, the only posts I’ve deleted of yours are ones wheee I’ve had complaints from other posters about the way you post to them. Other mods may have removed other posts, but I’ve also left others in where you’ve done nothing wrong

The only thread I removed was the latest vaccine one.

Im trying to strike a balance keeping between everyone happy, there’s no doubt I’ll get it wrong sometimes and may well delete posts of yours and others where I probably shouldn’t, but when I multiple complaints about your posts, it’s difficult to ignore. Can I also suggest you look at some of the posts you write and think whether you may also be at fault.

If you’re ever at an away game up in the North, always happy to have a coffee and a chat, anything I can do to improve things and always happy to take suggestions on board.
Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 22:39 - Aug 11 with 1397 viewsAndyCole

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 22:17 - Aug 11 by Sirjohnalot

Hi Andy, the only posts I’ve deleted of yours are ones wheee I’ve had complaints from other posters about the way you post to them. Other mods may have removed other posts, but I’ve also left others in where you’ve done nothing wrong

The only thread I removed was the latest vaccine one.

Im trying to strike a balance keeping between everyone happy, there’s no doubt I’ll get it wrong sometimes and may well delete posts of yours and others where I probably shouldn’t, but when I multiple complaints about your posts, it’s difficult to ignore. Can I also suggest you look at some of the posts you write and think whether you may also be at fault.

If you’re ever at an away game up in the North, always happy to have a coffee and a chat, anything I can do to improve things and always happy to take suggestions on board.

Hey John, thanks for your reply, but you've not provided the clarity so many of us now require from you. If anything you've clouded the issue.

We all know that not so clever folk will always lash out and complain. And folk like you lap it up.

Can you please look at some of the posts I write and show me: how I may be 'also at fault'. According to your ever more cloudy rules.

Every day I see abuse directed at posters like OHL - personal, long standing abuse - and absoultely no intervention by you. I see posters only posting to post abuse at OHL and other cleverer posters.

John - you have far more to do to outline the current Rules of Engagement - give it your best shot - it is the exam question after all. The one you failed to answer, so far.

Thanks John, hope to see you soon for that coffee. For the greater good.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 22:48 - Aug 11 with 1388 viewsSirjohnalot

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 22:39 - Aug 11 by AndyCole

Hey John, thanks for your reply, but you've not provided the clarity so many of us now require from you. If anything you've clouded the issue.

We all know that not so clever folk will always lash out and complain. And folk like you lap it up.

Can you please look at some of the posts I write and show me: how I may be 'also at fault'. According to your ever more cloudy rules.

Every day I see abuse directed at posters like OHL - personal, long standing abuse - and absoultely no intervention by you. I see posters only posting to post abuse at OHL and other cleverer posters.

John - you have far more to do to outline the current Rules of Engagement - give it your best shot - it is the exam question after all. The one you failed to answer, so far.

Thanks John, hope to see you soon for that coffee. For the greater good.

I agree the abuse of OHL is not acceptable, but I don’t have time to look through all the posts on the forum, i come on periodically during the day and when I’ve a spare few minutes. I mostly respond to people who have reported posts. If I remove things there are complaints about censoring, if I don’t, I’m allowing favourite people to get away with everything.

Either way, people say it’s wrong.

As far as I’m concerned as long as people aren’t abusive, it’s all good. As you’ve seen with mine and OHLs disagreements it’s great to have different opinions but not crossing the line.
Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 23:07 - Aug 11 with 1364 viewsAndyCole

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 22:48 - Aug 11 by Sirjohnalot

I agree the abuse of OHL is not acceptable, but I don’t have time to look through all the posts on the forum, i come on periodically during the day and when I’ve a spare few minutes. I mostly respond to people who have reported posts. If I remove things there are complaints about censoring, if I don’t, I’m allowing favourite people to get away with everything.

Either way, people say it’s wrong.

As far as I’m concerned as long as people aren’t abusive, it’s all good. As you’ve seen with mine and OHLs disagreements it’s great to have different opinions but not crossing the line.

I appreciate your response John, but you fail to answer the exam question.

The Rules of Engagement need clarifying. What is and isn't acceptable ?

To help you: maybe it's best to use examples to clarify your rules : you deleted a post of mine last night: for what reason ?

Many thanks.

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 23:20 - Aug 11 with 1352 viewsDJack

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 23:07 - Aug 11 by AndyCole

To help you: maybe it's best to use examples to clarify your rules : you deleted a post of mine last night: for what reason ?

Many thanks.

There are MANY sites that operate on the rule that if you openly question the moderation you first get a warning after the second you get a temporary ban...

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 00:14 - Aug 12 with 1328 viewsTreforys_Jack

A general rule of thumb would be to treat all posters respectfully, treat people as you would like your wife, son, daughter etc. to be treated. if you don't understand that, then there's not much can be done to help you.

Post confrontationally and you'll get it back no doubt, basically you set the tone.

I respectfully point out the line in your initial post "However when it gets to the stage that far more intelligent folk than you" this is confrontational and uncalled for.

Keep it up SirJohnalot, doing a great job in a thankless task.
Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 00:15 - Aug 12 with 1323 viewsItchySphincter

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 23:07 - Aug 11 by AndyCole

Many thanks.

You don’t half go on.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 00:20 - Aug 12 with 1321 viewsTreforys_Jack

On a similar theme, I was looking earlier at some private messages exchanged between myself and the late Lord Bony who most will know was a moderator on the old PS site. He was basically trying to moderate the site whilst fighting cancer, and was getting a lot of grief from certain posters, 1 in particular (who are no longer welcome on this site). The position of moderator is a completely thankless task and you need the skin of a rhino.

RIP LB, top man
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 0:22]
Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 01:54 - Aug 12 with 1294 viewsKilkennyjack

Anyone who helps Keith gets my full and unconditional support.

Thanks Johnalot.

Beware of the Risen People

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 03:59 - Aug 12 with 1276 viewsDr_Parnassus

I must say, the abuse OHL gets is not right at all.

People follow him about looking to wind him up. He posts a view on the game and immediately people jump on him and state he must be enjoying it.

Posts like that I would delete. They aren’t there to add anything to the discussion other than to try and instigate conflict.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 05:51 - Aug 12 with 1257 viewsjojaca

I like the non football stuff on here and the debates that split people into camps to get wide range of views. If you start censorship, it will only be worth logging in on match day to follow the game. I enjoy reading post match when we lose, it can be entertaining, not so much when we win unless we produce stuff of the old days of Laudrup, Rodgers and Martinez.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 5:53]

Even when you know, you never know?

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 05:54 - Aug 12 with 1252 viewsSirjohnalot

Andy, you continually call people ‘sheeple’ ‘twp’ etc. The post I deleted of yours was one of those.

Any posts where you have a pop at me, I’ll either reply to or if ott, ignore.

This is not an exam, I’m not going to write an essay giving examples or what and what it not acceptable, it’s just common sense. Just post respectfully to other people, don’t call them thick or ‘sheeple’ and it’s all good.

All I’m doing to trying to help the site.
Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 05:56 - Aug 12 with 1250 viewsSirjohnalot

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 03:59 - Aug 12 by Dr_Parnassus

I must say, the abuse OHL gets is not right at all.

People follow him about looking to wind him up. He posts a view on the game and immediately people jump on him and state he must be enjoying it.

Posts like that I would delete. They aren’t there to add anything to the discussion other than to try and instigate conflict.

I agree, and I’m sent them, I’ll have a look.
Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 09:15 - Aug 12 with 1152 viewsonehunglow

Here is some clarity
Vast majority on here are fine posters especially the ones that can post opposite views without cant and hate.
What is posted my way goes back 20 years ,before some posters were born. I ch@llenged egos then and they didn’t like it.They still don’t .
Abuse coming my way is that exactly and it does not wind me up or make me angry but simply reflect on the narrow valley narrow minded folk out there,many of whom used to come into my home own for @ fight on a Saturday nigh5. Us Jacks,Swansea people that is,saw them as backward .I still do rightly or wrongly .

I have to say I do go to games and people know who I am but no one soul has uttered any pejorative to my face. I met with one notorious poster who was a pussy in the flesh.

My abuse is mainly from Two people.They have acolytes who simply join in.

The bad news is. I will always have my say and always challenge people,especially when my club of over 60 yrs is being insulted by people like Martin.A nobody

Jon and I will have a pre court discussion tomorrow and I am well briefed. He d better be on form .

Love each other or love the one you re with
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 9:16]

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 09:29 - Aug 12 with 1114 viewsKerouac

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 05:54 - Aug 12 by Sirjohnalot

Andy, you continually call people ‘sheeple’ ‘twp’ etc. The post I deleted of yours was one of those.

Any posts where you have a pop at me, I’ll either reply to or if ott, ignore.

This is not an exam, I’m not going to write an essay giving examples or what and what it not acceptable, it’s just common sense. Just post respectfully to other people, don’t call them thick or ‘sheeple’ and it’s all good.

All I’m doing to trying to help the site.

If 'sheeple' or 'twp' is the line get prepared for a ton of reported posts as abuse...I do not want to do this, it is childish and goes against my principles, but if this site is to be moderated by posters who complain about 'sheeple' and 'twp' whilst using worse and behaving worse themselves...well then we don't have a choice then do we.
Make sure you deal with all complaints the same please, the least we should be able to expect.

Censorship is for cowards/bullies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 09:48 - Aug 12 with 1071 viewsonehunglow

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 09:29 - Aug 12 by Kerouac

If 'sheeple' or 'twp' is the line get prepared for a ton of reported posts as abuse...I do not want to do this, it is childish and goes against my principles, but if this site is to be moderated by posters who complain about 'sheeple' and 'twp' whilst using worse and behaving worse themselves...well then we don't have a choice then do we.
Make sure you deal with all complaints the same please, the least we should be able to expect.

K
I d be happy for the following banned

Doom and gloom merchants
Usual suspects
Negative
Positive

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 09:52 - Aug 12 with 1069 viewsSirjohnalot

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 09:15 - Aug 12 by onehunglow

Here is some clarity
Vast majority on here are fine posters especially the ones that can post opposite views without cant and hate.
What is posted my way goes back 20 years ,before some posters were born. I ch@llenged egos then and they didn’t like it.They still don’t .
Abuse coming my way is that exactly and it does not wind me up or make me angry but simply reflect on the narrow valley narrow minded folk out there,many of whom used to come into my home own for @ fight on a Saturday nigh5. Us Jacks,Swansea people that is,saw them as backward .I still do rightly or wrongly .

I have to say I do go to games and people know who I am but no one soul has uttered any pejorative to my face. I met with one notorious poster who was a pussy in the flesh.

My abuse is mainly from Two people.They have acolytes who simply join in.

The bad news is. I will always have my say and always challenge people,especially when my club of over 60 yrs is being insulted by people like Martin.A nobody

Jon and I will have a pre court discussion tomorrow and I am well briefed. He d better be on form .

Love each other or love the one you re with
[Post edited 12 Aug 2022 9:16]

Wondered why you wanted me there at 10am : )
Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 09:56 - Aug 12 with 1052 viewsSirjohnalot

As I said, I’m trying to keep everyone happy, trying to make the site a decent experience for everyone.

I’ll get things wrong, I’ll delete stuff I shouldn’t, I’ll let stuff go I should delete, but please let’s put things in perspective, this is not the Houses of Parliament or newspapers being censored, it’s a football forum, it’s not censorship, I’m trying to do my best when I’m free.

Not going to wait to please everyone, as that is not going to happen.
Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 09:58 - Aug 12 with 1046 viewsunion_jack

There’ll always be grey areas as to what is or isn’t acceptable. A lot of it is in the ‘tone’ of the post which by its very nature is not easy to detect accurately.

With regards OHL, I believe he is greatly misunderstood on this site with many taking his perceived negativity as a stick to beat him with. I see it more as a genuine, inherent passion that gets him angry when he feels the club, players, manager etc. are not performing to his standards. This is the way he deals with it, we all have different methods. Personally, I see it as a sign of a true fan and definitely not one who wishes the club any harm. Far from it.

I think some of us just need to grow up at times and post in a way that isn’t confrontational and that goes to proponents of both sides of an argument. Try to understand the other side’s views even if you disagree. Don’t use inflammatory language which you know will exacerbate a contentious situation. Debate! Agree to disagree but make your point respectfully.

Freedom of speech? It doesn’t mean you can say what you like.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 10:04 - Aug 12 with 1019 viewsonehunglow

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 09:58 - Aug 12 by union_jack

There’ll always be grey areas as to what is or isn’t acceptable. A lot of it is in the ‘tone’ of the post which by its very nature is not easy to detect accurately.

With regards OHL, I believe he is greatly misunderstood on this site with many taking his perceived negativity as a stick to beat him with. I see it more as a genuine, inherent passion that gets him angry when he feels the club, players, manager etc. are not performing to his standards. This is the way he deals with it, we all have different methods. Personally, I see it as a sign of a true fan and definitely not one who wishes the club any harm. Far from it.

I think some of us just need to grow up at times and post in a way that isn’t confrontational and that goes to proponents of both sides of an argument. Try to understand the other side’s views even if you disagree. Don’t use inflammatory language which you know will exacerbate a contentious situation. Debate! Agree to disagree but make your point respectfully.

Freedom of speech? It doesn’t mean you can say what you like.

That s the closest anyone has got to getting me ,Union.

I love my home city ,warts and all . Being a Jack,a Swansea man,is for life and that means taking no sheets from anyone,especially politicians who have killed Swansea for a good 50 years .

The club ,is like the Whites, part of the fabric.

Nobody but nobody should accept second best

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 10:04 - Aug 12 with 1022 viewsDr_Parnassus

I think consistency is the key.

For a long time only ‘certain’ posters have been banned/reprimanded for things, where as if another poster does exactly the same or quite often far worse it’s allowed.

That feeling of favouritism when it comes to site rules that gets people’s backs up.

Not accusing anyone of that, I’m talking generally.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 10:09 - Aug 12 with 1004 viewsTreforys_Jack

If someone is continually getting posts deleted then they should probably look at what they post and the tone in which they post, rather than harangue the mods.
Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 10:21 - Aug 12 with 962 viewsKeithHaynes

We are trying to strike a balance and John is a very trusted moderator as you have to be with the access you have now when you moderate the site. The very fact he can be bothered and is open to discussion tells me he is good for the site, and our cause. For someone who is as busy as he is to help us out is quite humbling and very welcome.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 10:45 - Aug 12 with 922 viewsKeithHaynes

Rules of Engagement: Johnalot on 23:20 - Aug 11 by DJack

There are MANY sites that operate on the rule that if you openly question the moderation you first get a warning after the second you get a temporary ban...

Nobody has been banned for questioning the moderation, just for abuse.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024