Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' 23:59 - Feb 14 with 14258 viewsbonymine

Man City = Maine Road very intimidating when I went there as a 16 year old in 1981 1st Div Season in middle of Moss Side and we lost 4-0.
Liverpool = Just after Shankly died and Tosh wore a Liverpool shirt under his Swans tracksuit. Game was 2=2 but like the Wild West outside after the game.
West Ham = FA Cup Rd 5 1981 thought we'd claimed a replay before David Cross scored winner .. stabbed by WHU fans with knitting needles and pelted with golf balls.
Burnley = What's the time Taff?
Oh what joy it was to follow the Swans then.....we used to get a bus from Burry Port which stopped at the Uplands and then Skewen with Huw & Gordon to take us on our travels.....oh what happy days............

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 12:37 - Feb 15 with 4171 viewsJackanapes

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 10:47 - Feb 15 by Al_Bundy

Best -

Preston Away 1981 - Promotion Party

Bristol Rovers Away 1980 - Midweek mayhem at Eastville and on the trains

Cambridge Away 1983/4 ?? Ending our winless away streak with Steve Mardenborough scoring two

The win at ninian park with Hughes the jock scoring

Peterborough Away new years day maybe late eighties .. everybody having hangovers then 0-2 down at half time the Alsop , Thomas and Cusack scored second half and our terrace went mental behind the goal.

Derby County away - winning 0-1 at the baseball ground on a hot bank holiday Monday when we celebrated by all jumping down from the seated stand on to the terrace below to celebrate the goal

Drawing at Carlisle in L1 on a tuesday night driving from Bournemouth - Carlisle - Bournemouth in one hit.

The Seals midweek trip to Hull in L2 - being invaded by the Hull hoolies in our section

Promotion/Cup wins at Bury , Sheff Utd , Gillingham , Liverpool and West Ham

Worst -

Millwall away first game in 1983 - the worst match ever for trouble and constant violence the whole day not helped by the 100 jacks to tried to take the home end

Wigan away - 0-0 with 20 mins to go standing on a mud bank which started snowing then a storm then we concede 5 then we get attacked outside the ground by the Wigan hoolies

Darlo away - 7-0 thrashing long trip and attacked.

Fulham away in the FA CUP - the only match i've ever left early through utter disbelief

Darlo away at feethams when we drew 2-2 and my car was trashed by home fans

Cardiff away in the infamous match when the stand got ripped up

Lincoln City around 1985 when we played away on a Sunday when around 10 of us were in a pub when the LTE turned up and turned us and the pub over when i actually questioned following the Swans away.

We ended our winless away streak against Bournemouth three weeks before the Cambridge game. But it had been over a season without an away win. The whole D2 season.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 13:17 - Feb 15 with 4124 viewsSwanseajill

I was there

I remember at main road when they scored against us, only a wire fence seperated the fans. Some thug threw a pint of beer over me.
At West Ham, again very littl to seperate us fans, I mentioned to my other half that a WH 'fan' kept looking at me and showing me the knife in his sock, he eventually was arrested but their fans were waiting below the stands for swans fansto be realeased.
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 13:21 - Feb 15 with 4121 viewsFieryJack

Surprising how much unpleasantness you come across against smaller teams.

As has been mentioned, Lincoln City and Luton both have their fair share of dedicated thugs.

And I can remember as a kid in the 1970s seeing a load of mayhem and sickening violence in the streets after - of all things - a preliminary round FA Cup tie between Bedford Town and Runcorn!

Only a few months ago there were ugly scenes at a similar FA cup tie when Atherstone (!) fans waded into the away end and started beating up middle-aged Barrow supporters.

About 7 years back got caught up in some trouble in the quaint historic town of Chester, when a dozen of their cowardly "hard men" decided to beat up a Swans fan in front of his wife and kids in the car park before the game.

Just shows that you can't take any away visit too lightly, even if it's to a seemingly harmless little place.

Always keep your colours covered unless your in a substantial group - and always make sure you've got back up!
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 13:40 - Feb 15 with 4104 viewsAl_Bundy

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 13:21 - Feb 15 by FieryJack

As has been mentioned, Lincoln City and Luton both have their fair share of dedicated thugs.

And I can remember as a kid in the 1970s seeing a load of mayhem and sickening violence in the streets after - of all things - a preliminary round FA Cup tie between Bedford Town and Runcorn!

Only a few months ago there were ugly scenes at a similar FA cup tie when Atherstone (!) fans waded into the away end and started beating up middle-aged Barrow supporters.

About 7 years back got caught up in some trouble in the quaint historic town of Chester, when a dozen of their cowardly "hard men" decided to beat up a Swans fan in front of his wife and kids in the car park before the game.

Just shows that you can't take any away visit too lightly, even if it's to a seemingly harmless little place.

Always keep your colours covered unless your in a substantial group - and always make sure you've got back up!

Chester were a nasty bunch.. the "125" firm hated everything welsh with a passion. Went o a Chester v Newport Co game in the eighties and it kicked off all over the place.
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 13:57 - Feb 15 with 4092 viewsFieryJack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 13:40 - Feb 15 by Al_Bundy

Chester were a nasty bunch.. the "125" firm hated everything welsh with a passion. Went o a Chester v Newport Co game in the eighties and it kicked off all over the place.

Clearly Chester hate the Welsh so much because they're so close to the border - they still have a medieval law there which states that it is lawful to shoot any Welshman with an arrow from a bow if he is spotted in the town after dark. You have been warned!

There's also, I've heard, this amateur "organization" called the EBF (The English Border Front) - an ad hoc group who keep a look-out, from Cheshire down through Shropshire and Herefordshire, for any Welsh villains who might have crossed the border in the night to go on the rob in quiet English market towns. They particularly fear those, mostly Bluebird lot, who dwell in the deprived Valleys north of Cardiff.
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 14:41 - Feb 15 with 4050 viewspencoedjack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 13:21 - Feb 15 by FieryJack

You can add Shrewsbury to a little club with a naughty firm ....

Agree about Lincoln & Luton.

Wolves away in the mid/late 80's was pretty naughty too (think it was shown on panorama at the time) .... The whole of our bus was arrested due to violence all day with their subway crew.

Only 2 sides of the ground open, West Brom in our end too.... Crazy day.
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 15:01 - Feb 15 with 4040 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 14:41 - Feb 15 by pencoedjack

You can add Shrewsbury to a little club with a naughty firm ....

Agree about Lincoln & Luton.

Wolves away in the mid/late 80's was pretty naughty too (think it was shown on panorama at the time) .... The whole of our bus was arrested due to violence all day with their subway crew.

Only 2 sides of the ground open, West Brom in our end too.... Crazy day.

Were you on the Queens bus lol? Your driver cut up our bus (pop and crisps) and unfortunately you became the first target of the Wolverhampton brick throwing brigade. They must have smashed quite a few of your windows and as you passed a guy laughing at you by a bus stop you stopped. You should have seen his face as he ran for his life up some alley pmfsl

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 15:11 - Feb 15 with 4023 viewspencoedjack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 15:01 - Feb 15 by Brynmill_Jack

Were you on the Queens bus lol? Your driver cut up our bus (pop and crisps) and unfortunately you became the first target of the Wolverhampton brick throwing brigade. They must have smashed quite a few of your windows and as you passed a guy laughing at you by a bus stop you stopped. You should have seen his face as he ran for his life up some alley pmfsl

Yep ...................

Not a window left on the bus, kept us at police station till about 9 o clock blocked every exit from Wolverhampton to Swansea ... a long cold journey home.

You know what year that was ?
Login to get fewer ads

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 15:17 - Feb 15 with 4014 viewsAl_Bundy

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 15:11 - Feb 15 by pencoedjack

Yep ...................

Not a window left on the bus, kept us at police station till about 9 o clock blocked every exit from Wolverhampton to Swansea ... a long cold journey home.

Was this the game Terry Yorath our then manager had to play because we were short on players?
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 15:34 - Feb 15 with 4002 viewspencoedjack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 15:17 - Feb 15 by Al_Bundy

Was this the game Terry Yorath our then manager had to play because we were short on players?

No clue mate ....
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 15:41 - Feb 15 with 4000 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 15:11 - Feb 15 by pencoedjack

Yep ...................

1987?

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 16:26 - Feb 15 with 3966 viewsJackanapes

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 15:41 - Feb 15 by Brynmill_Jack

1987?

Yes Feb 87.Just after we beat Northampton away and promptly staged a collapse England batsmen would have proud of. We got docked points as well.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 16:41 - Feb 15 with 3946 viewspencoedjack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 16:26 - Feb 15 by Jackanapes

Yes Feb 87.Just after we beat Northampton away and promptly staged a collapse England batsmen would have proud of. We got docked points as well.

Makes where we are all the sweeter
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 17:11 - Feb 15 with 3923 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 16:26 - Feb 15 by Jackanapes

Thanks for reminding me about Northampton! They were like miles ahead of us in second place and they were full of it, "there's only one Trevor Morley" and "we're gonna score in a minute" when in the 87th minute a well placed corner from Tommy Hutch I think was flicked on at the near post and either Pascoe or Sean McCarthy nodded in . All 2,000 of us on the bank behind that goal went Bezerk and their mob didn't like it, trying to get us after the game. I think we were wearing a sky blue Admiral kit on the day.
What a feckin day out that was!
Later in the season we went to Aldershot and lost 4-1 , getting our consolation goal very late on. Good days though

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 17:35 - Feb 15 with 3904 viewstimendalli

millwall early 90,s...was on a coach with some of the more well known swansea hooligans.....and as we were entering london 1 of them stood up and decided it would be a good idea too go in the home end.
have too say i have been in a few scary situations in football matches , but that was beyond scared, still got a couple of scars on my arms from the barbwire fence i had to get over.

drop your guns? your surrounded by armed bastards!

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 17:47 - Feb 15 with 3882 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 17:35 - Feb 15 by timendalli

millwall early 90,s...was on a coach with some of the more well known swansea hooligans.....and as we were entering london 1 of them stood up and decided it would be a good idea too go in the home end.
have too say i have been in a few scary situations in football matches , but that was beyond scared, still got a couple of scars on my arms from the barbwire fence i had to get over.

So that's twice we've tried to take the Millwall home end and at least once the West Ham home end. F*cking hell lol

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 18:49 - Feb 15 with 3847 viewsDaggyjack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 17:11 - Feb 15 by Brynmill_Jack

Thanks for reminding me about Northampton! They were like miles ahead of us in second place and they were full of it, "there's only one Trevor Morley" and "we're gonna score in a minute" when in the 87th minute a well placed corner from Tommy Hutch I think was flicked on at the near post and either Pascoe or Sean McCarthy nodded in . All 2,000 of us on the bank behind that goal went Bezerk and their mob didn't like it, trying to get us after the game. I think we were wearing a sky blue Admiral kit on the day.
What a feckin day out that was!
Later in the season we went to Aldershot and lost 4-1 , getting our consolation goal very late on. Good days though

Think it was Steve Lovell who scored, I was it the home end as my mate's brother was playing for Northampton! It was Pascoe who scored at Aldershot.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2014 18:50]
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 19:20 - Feb 15 with 3821 viewsymaohyd

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 18:49 - Feb 15 by Daggyjack

Think it was Steve Lovell who scored, I was it the home end as my mate's brother was playing for Northampton! It was Pascoe who scored at Aldershot.

Fair play, huge respect to many of the above posts. I'm just a part timer compared to most on here. I've done my bit but huge respect to you all.

A lifetime of passion.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 19:27 - Feb 15 with 3820 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 18:49 - Feb 15 by Daggyjack

I remember it now, Phil Williams took the corner, Pascoe heads on and Lovell nods in from close range. Or was it Ian Love?

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 19:49 - Feb 15 with 3806 viewsmonmouth

Pascoe scored at Nhtn in 87 didn't he? We had a real cock in work that supported Northampton and I remember getting the IT bloke to change everyone's password to Pascoe01. He was fuming for days. Don't sy I got it wrong!

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 20:00 - Feb 15 with 3792 viewsangryjack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 19:27 - Feb 15 by Brynmill_Jack

I remember it now, Phil Williams took the corner, Pascoe heads on and Lovell nods in from close range. Or was it Ian Love?

it was steve lovell i remember because he is my cousin made his debut against burnley on a friday night at the vetch when that little guy scored with a run from his own half taking the whole swansea team on
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 20:01 - Feb 15 with 3789 viewsAl_Bundy

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 19:20 - Feb 15 by ymaohyd

Fair play, huge respect to many of the above posts. I'm just a part timer compared to most on here. I've done my bit but huge respect to you all.

A lifetime of passion.

Everybody is on a Swans journey regardless of when it all started..the key is to stick with it especially the newish fans and sons and daughters of older fans.

Only shame is a good number of fans have passed away over the last 20 years who have contributed to where we are now.
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 20:10 - Feb 15 with 3786 viewsJackanapes

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 20:00 - Feb 15 by angryjack

it was steve lovell i remember because he is my cousin made his debut against burnley on a friday night at the vetch when that little guy scored with a run from his own half taking the whole swansea team on

Ashley Hoskin was that little guy, but it was Pascoe who scored at NHampton.

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 20:30 - Feb 15 with 3750 viewsGretsch

My best away game at 54 yrs old. Wembley play off final, beautiful day
Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 21:32 - Feb 15 with 3706 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Best and Worst Days at the 'Famous Old Grounds' on 20:10 - Feb 15 by Jackanapes

Ashley Hoskin was that little guy, but it was Pascoe who scored at NHampton.

Ah. Maybe a Tommy Hutch corner and a lil Phil Williams flick on

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024