Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for the cyclists here... 12:25 - Apr 28 with 102613 viewsllangyfelach

For varying reasons I'm not confident enough to get out and about on my bike, so for the next couple of months I'll be using my indoor Turbo Trainer. I'm mindful that at the moment I'll be training based on time rather than distance, so want to get myself a decent milometer. Any recommendations?

Ta in advance

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

One for the cyclists here... on 08:19 - May 16 with 2677 viewsorion3016

One for the cyclists here... on 22:33 - May 15 by Pacemaker

Got Rocket Rons on my 29er will be doing a 50 miler over Afan/Rhigos and down the Neath valley tomorrow hopefully the new wind farm on the Rhigos mountain has not blocked off too many forestry road routes.

It's a nice day for it, you're getting dangerously close to my territory now!
When I was up there a month ago A few of the sections on hirwaun / aberdare side of mountain are closed but there's ways around them
Have a good 1

Be over there now after

One for the cyclists here... on 09:57 - May 16 with 2660 viewssherpajacob

One for the cyclists here... on 23:03 - May 9 by 1jack

Never done anything so hard in my life, took me 9 hours, knackered but happy.

Well done, it took me 10 hours,
as it was my first time i took it easy and took long breaks at the feed stations.
i found the wind in the morning tougher than the hills in the afternoon. The reception in tenby was something else.
didnt realise so many jacks were doing it, well have to organise a Peleton Next year

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

One for the cyclists here... on 16:55 - May 16 with 2637 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 08:19 - May 16 by orion3016

It's a nice day for it, you're getting dangerously close to my territory now!
When I was up there a month ago A few of the sections on hirwaun / aberdare side of mountain are closed but there's ways around them
Have a good 1

Took my mate with me for his first ride up there so quite gentle and he was blown away. They are laying the cables to the transformers from the turbines so quote a few roads closed but easy to get around on the weekend.

Oddly enough I pointed out the route to Aberdare/Merthyr and he fancied a ride up to Pontsticll Resevoir, I told him I knew some heavy drinkers with a MTB addiction living up there😀

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:02 - May 16 with 2608 viewsorion3016

One for the cyclists here... on 16:55 - May 16 by Pacemaker

Took my mate with me for his first ride up there so quite gentle and he was blown away. They are laying the cables to the transformers from the turbines so quote a few roads closed but easy to get around on the weekend.

Oddly enough I pointed out the route to Aberdare/Merthyr and he fancied a ride up to Pontsticll Resevoir, I told him I knew some heavy drinkers with a MTB addiction living up there😀

Always most welcome mate

Be over there now after

One for the cyclists here... on 17:47 - Mar 20 with 1677 viewsMariaLuis

One for the cyclists here... on 20:58 - Apr 28 by Jackfath

Bought a helmet earlier. I am good to go!!

Also paid up and ready for the 28 miler Gower bike ride.

Thats good job. Go ahead. I wish you success the journey.

best hybrid bikes

One for the cyclists here... on 19:09 - Mar 20 with 1722 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 17:47 - Mar 20 by MariaLuis

Thats good job. Go ahead. I wish you success the journey.

Thanks love.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

One for the cyclists here... on 19:21 - Mar 20 with 1709 viewssherpajacob

Who else is doing the Carten this year.?

I'd done zero training so far, so yesterday in wind and rain went up the taff trail to Pontypridd and back.

A lot more work needed over the next few weeks.

One for the cyclists here... on 07:14 - Mar 21 with 1653 viewscsf

Just started back after a good while out. QUestion for those who are regular riders. Strava or Mapmyride? WHat are the pros and cons over the other one?
Login to get fewer ads

One for the cyclists here... on 07:41 - Mar 21 with 1645 viewsJFSwan

One for the cyclists here... on 07:14 - Mar 21 by csf

Just started back after a good while out. QUestion for those who are regular riders. Strava or Mapmyride? WHat are the pros and cons over the other one?

Definitely Strava for me as all my fellow club cyclist are on it and we compare times, create routes ect. Also means I can upload rides from my Garmin. Strava is definetly the most popular and widely used
One for the cyclists here... on 17:22 - Mar 30 with 1587 viewsMariaLuis

I might be a little bit late to watch a Cricket game here, and I will surely read the thread through in good time.

But how does a MariaLuis like me, who hasn't owned a bike in near 20 years, start in this malarkey?

Decided to slowly start training for a triathlon so need something at entry level, whilst reliable.

best hybrid bikes

One for the cyclists here... on 17:28 - Mar 30 with 1575 viewsDarran

One for the cyclists here... on 17:22 - Mar 30 by MariaLuis

I might be a little bit late to watch a Cricket game here, and I will surely read the thread through in good time.

But how does a MariaLuis like me, who hasn't owned a bike in near 20 years, start in this malarkey?

Decided to slowly start training for a triathlon so need something at entry level, whilst reliable.

What drugs are you using?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

One for the cyclists here... on 17:29 - Mar 30 with 1575 viewsSoberBaker

One for the cyclists here... on 17:22 - Mar 30 by MariaLuis

A lot of it depends on body shape, height, weight etc...

Can you post a full body pic (naked if you like) of yourself on here so I can advise?

AMOW

One for the cyclists here... on 22:32 - Mar 30 with 1525 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 19:21 - Mar 20 by sherpajacob

Who else is doing the Carten this year.?

I'd done zero training so far, so yesterday in wind and rain went up the taff trail to Pontypridd and back.

A lot more work needed over the next few weeks.

I have entered and pretty much ready to do it. I have done it three or four times before. Pretty tough if the weather is against you, last year it wa a tailwind the entire way god the first time ever.

The toughest section is probably from Kidwelly onwards plenty of climbing if you follow the official route rather than go down the A40.

One for the cyclists here... on 08:52 - Mar 31 with 1474 viewssherpajacob

One for the cyclists here... on 22:32 - Mar 30 by Pacemaker

I have entered and pretty much ready to do it. I have done it three or four times before. Pretty tough if the weather is against you, last year it wa a tailwind the entire way god the first time ever.

The toughest section is probably from Kidwelly onwards plenty of climbing if you follow the official route rather than go down the A40.

My 3rd time this year, and it's the least prepared I've been so far.

Always done the official route and not cheated down the A40.

One for the cyclists here... on 18:13 - Apr 13 with 1383 viewsMariaLuis

I think it is a good decision that you will be using your indoor Turbo Trainer. So you can have a cheap android mobile which costs £50 running Strava in your pocket. The Strava website will tally your total miles.

best hybrid bikes

One for the cyclists here... on 11:32 - Jul 3 with 1188 viewssherpajacob

Anybody doing the velathon again this year.

Bluey has always been a big supporter.

I've hardly been out on my bike since Carten, got up early this morning to go for a spin up little local hill and was blowing out my micky quinn half way up.

might take some good walking shoes with me for the tumble.

One for the cyclists here... on 22:38 - Jul 3 with 1130 viewsCooperman

One for the cyclists here... on 11:32 - Jul 3 by sherpajacob

Anybody doing the velathon again this year.

Bluey has always been a big supporter.

I've hardly been out on my bike since Carten, got up early this morning to go for a spin up little local hill and was blowing out my micky quinn half way up.

might take some good walking shoes with me for the tumble.

Can't do it this year but will definitely be in it next year.

Good luck with it. My one and only attempt last year helped me to raise £1800 for charity and is up there with the greatest days of my life.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

One for the cyclists here... on 19:54 - Aug 9 with 984 viewslittle_britton

After years of sitting on my couch I bought a road bike 3 weeks ago.
I've just cycled 15 miles tonight so getting my fitness up slowly, would you advise me to build up time and distance on the flat first or start incorporating hills into my ride from the off
One for the cyclists here... on 20:07 - Aug 9 with 973 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 19:54 - Aug 9 by little_britton

After years of sitting on my couch I bought a road bike 3 weeks ago.
I've just cycled 15 miles tonight so getting my fitness up slowly, would you advise me to build up time and distance on the flat first or start incorporating hills into my ride from the off

Hills get you fitter faster there is no doubt about that. Try and incorporate a few rolling routes first to get used to correct gears etc. Then look for a long climb but not too steep. I used the same route over and over again when I started back and just tried to beat my last effort. If you can go with someone slightly fitter than you it helps a lot because you will always be working hard just to keep up with them.

Have a look online for good routes or go on Strava And see what's in your area, always spin your gears up hills don't grind.

Are you riding off road or on road?

One for the cyclists here... on 20:51 - Aug 9 with 957 viewslittle_britton

I bought a road bike, a carrera virtuoso from halfords.
Got to say I'm loving it at the moment, using the same route at the minute but going to try a different road Saturday and try and get up to 20 miles
One for the cyclists here... on 21:13 - Aug 9 with 948 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 20:51 - Aug 9 by little_britton

Got to say I'm loving it at the moment, using the same route at the minute but going to try a different road Saturday and try and get up to 20 miles

I was doing 21-26 miles a couple of times a week when I first started it took me a while to get up to that, I was probably doing 10 miles or so at first. I was also about 4 stone heavier than I am now.

The Carerra will be a good bike to use all year around for a good few years, where are you doing your rides are they local?

One for the cyclists here... on 21:24 - Aug 9 with 942 viewsCooperman

One for the cyclists here... on 20:51 - Aug 9 by little_britton

Good effort. I did the same a few years back.

Start small and build up in terms of both mileage and equipment. Remember, the further you go then the more susceptible you are to punctures etc so get yourself a small lightweight rucksack and pack an inner tube, tyre levers, small pump etc. You'll inevitably have some spare room so also take a banana and an energy drink as you'll be needing it as you get beyond 15 miles or so. I also go with a few pound in loose change just in case; there's nothing worse than a walk home from your furthest point from home knowing full well that your unanswered calls are due to your wife's mobile phone being on silent mode.

As Pacemaker says the Strava app is excellent for tracking progress and setting goals.

Above all else stay safe. There is a wide gulf in the levels of road awareness out there. If you're on main roads then hi-viz should be mandtory for you.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

One for the cyclists here... on 21:26 - Aug 9 with 941 viewslittle_britton

One for the cyclists here... on 21:13 - Aug 9 by Pacemaker

I was doing 21-26 miles a couple of times a week when I first started it took me a while to get up to that, I was probably doing 10 miles or so at first. I was also about 4 stone heavier than I am now.

The Carerra will be a good bike to use all year around for a good few years, where are you doing your rides are they local?

Yes local rides at the minute, I'm cycling from my house in Carmarthen down to Bancyfelin and back, started off doing about 5 miles first of all up to my longest ride tonight of 15 miles
One for the cyclists here... on 21:28 - Aug 9 with 936 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 21:26 - Aug 9 by little_britton

Yes local rides at the minute, I'm cycling from my house in Carmarthen down to Bancyfelin and back, started off doing about 5 miles first of all up to my longest ride tonight of 15 miles

Get on Strava!

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

One for the cyclists here... on 21:32 - Aug 9 with 933 viewslittle_britton

One for the cyclists here... on 21:24 - Aug 9 by Cooperman

Good effort. I did the same a few years back.

Start small and build up in terms of both mileage and equipment. Remember, the further you go then the more susceptible you are to punctures etc so get yourself a small lightweight rucksack and pack an inner tube, tyre levers, small pump etc. You'll inevitably have some spare room so also take a banana and an energy drink as you'll be needing it as you get beyond 15 miles or so. I also go with a few pound in loose change just in case; there's nothing worse than a walk home from your furthest point from home knowing full well that your unanswered calls are due to your wife's mobile phone being on silent mode.

As Pacemaker says the Strava app is excellent for tracking progress and setting goals.

Above all else stay safe. There is a wide gulf in the levels of road awareness out there. If you're on main roads then hi-viz should be mandtory for you.

yes I've got all the inner tubes and stuff, I've been watching loads of the GNC videos on YouTube so stocked up on what they advised.
Going to be having a new phone soon so if I download strava on my current phone can I transfer all my data to the new phone
[Post edited 9 Aug 2017 21:33]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024