Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for the cyclists here... 12:25 - Apr 28 with 103227 viewsllangyfelach

For varying reasons I'm not confident enough to get out and about on my bike, so for the next couple of months I'll be using my indoor Turbo Trainer. I'm mindful that at the moment I'll be training based on time rather than distance, so want to get myself a decent milometer. Any recommendations?

Ta in advance

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

One for the cyclists here... on 18:50 - May 18 with 2868 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 18:44 - May 18 by Jackfath

I'm thinking of trying for the CARTEN 100 next year. Pacemaker did it this year but he's a racing snake.

My mate is exactly the same he's a monster, he was always slightly ahead of me today and every time I dug in to stay with him he'd go again it'll take me 10yrs training to compete with him, he's never off a bike though he rides back and forth to work from Cimla to Port Talbot in all weathers, plus he's fitness mad, us mere mortals can never compete JF.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

One for the cyclists here... on 19:07 - May 18 with 2861 viewsmax936

JF get some 9 bar flax energy bars they are the big new things on the market for cyclists,

One for the cyclists here... on 08:16 - May 19 with 2825 views1jack

Nice thread, after a bit of advice if you don't mind. I'm the same as quite a few on here, slightly (ahem) overweight and wanting to get fit like I once was, the thing is my 4 year old would have to come with me and I'm looking for the best way to bring her along. She is 3 stone so I am thinking that a carry seat on the bike would be no good anymore, so looking for the cheapest (as I have just bought my season ticket) way of doing this. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.
One for the cyclists here... on 08:39 - May 19 with 2818 viewsDDCH

I have a seat on the back of my bike for my 2 year old but she will outgrow that by 4.

When I was chatting to the man in Schmoos he told me that you can get seats that go on pannier racks that will take much older children.

Give them a bell for some advice but I think that is the way to go.

The poster formally known as DannyDyersChocolateHomunculus

One for the cyclists here... on 08:44 - May 19 with 2818 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 08:16 - May 19 by 1jack

Nice thread, after a bit of advice if you don't mind. I'm the same as quite a few on here, slightly (ahem) overweight and wanting to get fit like I once was, the thing is my 4 year old would have to come with me and I'm looking for the best way to bring her along. She is 3 stone so I am thinking that a carry seat on the bike would be no good anymore, so looking for the cheapest (as I have just bought my season ticket) way of doing this. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi 1Jack, there is a buggy available that can be attached to the back of your bike, in which a child can sit in and be toured around in, try a bike shop like Tredz or Google it and see what pops up.

One for the cyclists here... on 08:48 - May 19 with 2790 views1jack

Cheers both, I shall have a look in to that.
One for the cyclists here... on 18:03 - May 19 with 2762 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 18:44 - May 18 by Jackfath

I'm thinking of trying for the CARTEN 100 next year. Pacemaker did it this year but he's a racing snake.

As anyone who knows me they will confirm I am def not a racing snake!! I look more like a python who has swallowed a kangaroo.

I think once you have done the Gower Bike Ride your next target should be something like Cardiff to Coast which will probably be around Sep/Oct on a Sunday morning.

I did it last year it was about 60 miles from Sophia Gardens to Ogmore by Sea and back very nice countryside a few short but sharp hills it is probably best done on a road bike. If you havent got a road bike I could probably borrow one off a mate.

Or as Max suggested there is the Brecon to Cardiff Taff Trail run which you could do on a MTB/Hybrid which is about 55 miles and quite tough but achievable and something to train for over the summer.

I also ride down the cycle path to Burryport harbour from Baglan which is about 55 miles round trip for me, let me know when you are ready for that and we can have a nice cup of tea and carrot cake in the Pavilion Cafe on the Millenium path between Llanelli and Burryport, very nice way to spend your weekend morning on a summers day.

I will do it with you at your pace, I am convinced Llangy will be down there by then as he has been quiet since starting this thread, I am hoping he has been quietly working away on the turbo trainer.

Then the Carten 100, you can then train through the winter for the Carten to get ready for the inevitable rain and wind!

Ask Jackmorsel for a full description of his first attempt, he couldn't have faced tougher conditions and the new route was very hard, he used a Btwin Triban from Decathalon which has an excellent reputation as a starter bike at a very good price.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

One for the cyclists here... on 19:34 - May 19 with 2749 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 18:03 - May 19 by Pacemaker

As anyone who knows me they will confirm I am def not a racing snake!! I look more like a python who has swallowed a kangaroo.

I think once you have done the Gower Bike Ride your next target should be something like Cardiff to Coast which will probably be around Sep/Oct on a Sunday morning.

I did it last year it was about 60 miles from Sophia Gardens to Ogmore by Sea and back very nice countryside a few short but sharp hills it is probably best done on a road bike. If you havent got a road bike I could probably borrow one off a mate.

Or as Max suggested there is the Brecon to Cardiff Taff Trail run which you could do on a MTB/Hybrid which is about 55 miles and quite tough but achievable and something to train for over the summer.

I also ride down the cycle path to Burryport harbour from Baglan which is about 55 miles round trip for me, let me know when you are ready for that and we can have a nice cup of tea and carrot cake in the Pavilion Cafe on the Millenium path between Llanelli and Burryport, very nice way to spend your weekend morning on a summers day.

I will do it with you at your pace, I am convinced Llangy will be down there by then as he has been quiet since starting this thread, I am hoping he has been quietly working away on the turbo trainer.

Then the Carten 100, you can then train through the winter for the Carten to get ready for the inevitable rain and wind!

Ask Jackmorsel for a full description of his first attempt, he couldn't have faced tougher conditions and the new route was very hard, he used a Btwin Triban from Decathalon which has an excellent reputation as a starter bike at a very good price.

Lee, how do you go about getting from Baglan to Burry Port and can you do that on a MTB? as it sounds like a great ride, plus Im very fond of a bit of carrot cake

Login to get fewer ads

One for the cyclists here... on 19:41 - May 19 with 2745 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 19:34 - May 19 by max936

Lee, how do you go about getting from Baglan to Burry Port and can you do that on a MTB? as it sounds like a great ride, plus Im very fond of a bit of carrot cake

All cycle paths i think

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

One for the cyclists here... on 19:46 - May 19 with 2739 viewsmax936

Here you go JF, its cracker and just under 400quid.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-5-road-bike-grey-id_8239798.html

One for the cyclists here... on 20:02 - May 19 with 2732 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 19:34 - May 19 by max936

Max done it loads of time on road bike but only as far as Loughor on MTB.

I did the cycle path from B/Ferry bridge down to Blackpill crossed over to Clyne valley path, come out at Gowerton cycle path alongside the main road path for about a mile or so then a right turn down onto "marsh road?" its along the estuary you come out on the Loughor bridge roundabout, short bit on the road (but there is a cycle path) then back on cycle path near wildfowl trust centre and follow track to Burryport harbour. Prob better suited to hybrid or roadbike but do able on mtb especially a 29er

I see the weather is not looking great this week I will give you a text if it doesn't look to bad and I make a break for Afan Argoed.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:08 - May 19 with 2730 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 20:02 - May 19 by Pacemaker

I did the cycle path from B/Ferry bridge down to Blackpill crossed over to Clyne valley path, come out at Gowerton cycle path alongside the main road path for about a mile or so then a right turn down onto "marsh road?" its along the estuary you come out on the Loughor bridge roundabout, short bit on the road (but there is a cycle path) then back on cycle path near wildfowl trust centre and follow track to Burryport harbour. Prob better suited to hybrid or roadbike but do able on mtb especially a 29er

I see the weather is not looking great this week I will give you a text if it doesn't look to bad and I make a break for Afan Argoed.

Yeah great was going tonite, but mate foned safternoon to say he's making a start on patio area outside my lads room tomoz so been sorting garage to give him tidy access, garage was an utter tip, glad I done it though as it was never gonna get done otherwise, so he's done me a favour

One for the cyclists here... on 21:45 - May 19 with 2711 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Got a beast lined up for this weekend. A loop, starting from London, down through Surrey and Hampshire to Southampton, across to Brighton, then back to London, over 4 days.

*legs*

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

One for the cyclists here... on 21:49 - May 19 with 2709 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 21:45 - May 19 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Got a beast lined up for this weekend. A loop, starting from London, down through Surrey and Hampshire to Southampton, across to Brighton, then back to London, over 4 days.

*legs*

Good on you I hope it's cool for you, I was only out for about 2hrs yday, heat seen me off.

One for the cyclists here... on 21:50 - May 19 with 2707 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 21:45 - May 19 by FearOfAJackPlanet

*legs*

Jeepers how far is that? Where do you stay when doing a tour like that?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

One for the cyclists here... on 21:58 - May 19 with 2704 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Yeah max, got my fingers crossed the hot weather buggers off! forecast looks good (as in bad).

JF - I was hoping to camp to keep costs down, but as it's a bank holiday everywhere will be booked out or demanding 2-3 night stays and I'm not one for wild camping, not in populated areas anyway. Staying in an....Eco Camping Barn on Friday....should be fun, like a hostel, but sh*t. Sat I got a room in a pub in Southampton, then a hostel in Brighton on Sun.

Hostels are a good way to do stuff like that. Cheap as chips, bike-friendly (mostly) and the lack of creature comforts mean you don't mind getting up and out even when you feel knackered.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

One for the cyclists here... on 22:03 - May 19 with 2701 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 21:58 - May 19 by FearOfAJackPlanet

Yeah max, got my fingers crossed the hot weather buggers off! forecast looks good (as in bad).

JF - I was hoping to camp to keep costs down, but as it's a bank holiday everywhere will be booked out or demanding 2-3 night stays and I'm not one for wild camping, not in populated areas anyway. Staying in an....Eco Camping Barn on Friday....should be fun, like a hostel, but sh*t. Sat I got a room in a pub in Southampton, then a hostel in Brighton on Sun.

Hostels are a good way to do stuff like that. Cheap as chips, bike-friendly (mostly) and the lack of creature comforts mean you don't mind getting up and out even when you feel knackered.

That sounds like a great adventure. Hopefully you'll bump into some Swedish twenty somethings doing the same thing.

One for the cyclists here... on 22:29 - May 19 with 2676 viewsjackforever

One for the cyclists here... on 20:02 - May 19 by Pacemaker

If your going as far as burry port always worth the few extra miles to pembrey country park. Love it down there and great to do a loop of the park then head back.
One for the cyclists here... on 22:34 - May 19 with 2672 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 22:29 - May 19 by jackforever

If your going as far as burry port always worth the few extra miles to pembrey country park. Love it down there and great to do a loop of the park then head back.

You still on the 5-2 diet JF?

One for the cyclists here... on 23:25 - May 19 with 2657 viewsjackforever

One for the cyclists here... on 22:34 - May 19 by max936

You still on the 5-2 diet JF?

Yes buddy started back last 2 weeks. 6 pounds gone so far this time. Another stone and a half to go. Makes cycling that much easier as well. Best way I have ever found to lose weight.
One for the cyclists here... on 12:35 - May 20 with 2628 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 23:25 - May 19 by jackforever

Yes buddy started back last 2 weeks. 6 pounds gone so far this time. Another stone and a half to go. Makes cycling that much easier as well. Best way I have ever found to lose weight.

Great stuff, lm on it, but lve hit a bit of a wall, lm stuck at around 15st can't seem to get below that, weekends my downfall l think even though l try and keep disciplined, l've taken to cutting back ona friday as well now so that's Mon wed and fri l keep cals to around 600 to 800 cals, thats 30 grams porridge with 200mls of semi skimmed milk, tin of tuna lunch time and either veg with a fillet of cod or chicken stir fry for tea, l have upped my exercise levels though.
[Post edited 20 May 2014 12:37]

One for the cyclists here... on 12:50 - May 20 with 2619 viewsjackforever

One for the cyclists here... on 12:35 - May 20 by max936

Great stuff, lm on it, but lve hit a bit of a wall, lm stuck at around 15st can't seem to get below that, weekends my downfall l think even though l try and keep disciplined, l've taken to cutting back ona friday as well now so that's Mon wed and fri l keep cals to around 600 to 800 cals, thats 30 grams porridge with 200mls of semi skimmed milk, tin of tuna lunch time and either veg with a fillet of cod or chicken stir fry for tea, l have upped my exercise levels though.
[Post edited 20 May 2014 12:37]

The one thing I have done which I think helps is cut sugars on my 5 days. Also have porridge but with skimmed milk. Chicken/turkey salad lunch time and a lean meat or fish with salad and small potion of rice or cous cous. Drinking more water and a few green teas a day. Last year if I hit a wall I would do something drastic like a 500 day or even a bit of a blow out on a weekend just to mix things up. Eating far more protein and fibre than ever before.
Exercise wise I'm trying to get out on the bike at least twice a week, and at least 3 time to the gym to do weights. Going on holidays in the middle of July and want a body like Bony for the beach. So lets see how I get on!!

Turning into a tidy thread this. Great place to put some tips on weight loss and cycling in general.
One for the cyclists here... on 16:48 - May 20 with 2593 viewsJackfath

Here's a question, possibly a bit stupid but hey ho.

Rims on bikes. Are they a standard size and you buy different size inners and tyres or do they come in different sizes for the "correct size rims"?

Hoep that makes sense?!

One for the cyclists here... on 17:32 - May 20 with 2585 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 16:48 - May 20 by Jackfath

Here's a question, possibly a bit stupid but hey ho.

Rims on bikes. Are they a standard size and you buy different size inners and tyres or do they come in different sizes for the "correct size rims"?

Hoep that makes sense?!

It should say on the rims what size tyres they suit JF, with a tolerance + & - , all I would say is that I doubt you could put MTB tyres on road rims and vice versa.

One for the cyclists here... on 18:00 - May 20 with 2580 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 12:50 - May 20 by jackforever

The one thing I have done which I think helps is cut sugars on my 5 days. Also have porridge but with skimmed milk. Chicken/turkey salad lunch time and a lean meat or fish with salad and small potion of rice or cous cous. Drinking more water and a few green teas a day. Last year if I hit a wall I would do something drastic like a 500 day or even a bit of a blow out on a weekend just to mix things up. Eating far more protein and fibre than ever before.
Exercise wise I'm trying to get out on the bike at least twice a week, and at least 3 time to the gym to do weights. Going on holidays in the middle of July and want a body like Bony for the beach. So lets see how I get on!!

Turning into a tidy thread this. Great place to put some tips on weight loss and cycling in general.

Cheers JF, I was having an apple or a banana for lunch on my 600 days, but I think the tuna is better as its mostly protein I do put a bit of spring onion and a few slices of cucumber just to add a bit of flavor also plenty of vinegar and pepper. other days breakie same, lunch is small bowl of salad stuff off morrisons salad bar and chicken breast sliced up, tea is a healthy main meal.

Saturday disciplined through day but then a few hrs on the beer and a curry Sunday is sunday dinner and a sweet [oops] brekkie both days is weetbix for a change. I always keep my pg tips levels up though along with plenty of water, started on CLA supplements this week.

With regards weights I've made up a basic circuit which I plan to do 3 times a week [done it 3 times since last Tuesday, give it a try, it consists of 7 different exercises 10 reps an exercise, only difference is on the Shoulder Press where I do front and back in 1 rep, so its 10 reps front 10 back in reality. Only going light at moment though 5kg plates either side of a 10kg bar, it is a tad light but its enough for me at moment, I then do at least 30mins on exercise bike,

Here's the plan

1, Bent over rows 10 reps.

2. Upward rows 10 reps.

3. Front and back Shoulder press 1 rep to front then 1 rep to back in same move equals 1 rep.

4. Good Morning's 10 reps.

5. cleans from floor squatting position to overhead 10 reps.

6. Squats 10 reps

7. Curls 10 reps

minute rest between sets and Im on 4 sets now started on 3 last week, gonna try and increase weight used about every 4 weeks.
[Post edited 20 May 2014 20:04]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024