Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for the cyclists here... 12:25 - Apr 28 with 102732 viewsllangyfelach

For varying reasons I'm not confident enough to get out and about on my bike, so for the next couple of months I'll be using my indoor Turbo Trainer. I'm mindful that at the moment I'll be training based on time rather than distance, so want to get myself a decent milometer. Any recommendations?

Ta in advance

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

One for the cyclists here... on 19:43 - May 20 with 4183 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 16:48 - May 20 by Jackfath

Here's a question, possibly a bit stupid but hey ho.

Rims on bikes. Are they a standard size and you buy different size inners and tyres or do they come in different sizes for the "correct size rims"?

Hoep that makes sense?!

There are currently four different size rims on most adult bikes the standard 26" you find on most older bikes and MTB/hybrid bikes.

Most race bikes will have 700 wheels which are a metric measurement and equivalent to 29", then confusingly on most modern MTB as well as the 26" wheel you will find two new sizes the 29er which is 29"/700 and the 650b which is roughly 27"!!!

Most inner tubes and tyres will then have a second number indicating its width so in a 700 it will usually go from 700x 23 to 700x 32. The latter being more comfortable the former quicker with less rolling resistance.

Look at the wall on the tyre on your current bike and it will generally give you all the information. Most bike tyres will have a size limit related to the width of the forks or frame, too wide and they will be rubbing against the frame. Tube widths will generally cover most ie something like 23-28.

Hope that helps

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

One for the cyclists here... on 19:46 - May 20 with 4178 viewsJackfath

The ones on my Hybrid are 700x42c

Seems rather chunky?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

One for the cyclists here... on 20:00 - May 20 with 4165 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 19:46 - May 20 by Jackfath

Seems rather chunky?

That does seem quite wide compared to a road bike, I did put hybrid tyres on my old MTB but that was on a 26" wheel I think I it was 26 x 1,5" (which is about 40mm ) so about the same size width wise. My rims were obv meant for MTB.

I would think a bit of research on the wheels or bike model would tell you how narrow you could go, if not a call into a local bike shop should identify your limits.

You might be able to see on the actual rim of the wheel the range of widths suitable, the last thing you want going downhill is to see your wheel go one way and your tyre the other!

My mate has a Boardman hybrid which has got 700 x 28 tyres and is a really fast bike.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:02 - May 20 with 4159 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 19:46 - May 20 by Jackfath

Seems rather chunky?

They'll take more pedal power to get em moving JF better workout, its all good.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

One for the cyclists here... on 20:04 - May 20 with 4157 viewsJackfath

I'm chatting to some American chap who's trying to flog me this as we speak.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bikes/Focus-Culebro-10-Bike-2012

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:13 - May 20 with 4146 viewsmax936

If anyone is interested in a new Mountain bike for reasonable money Halfords Voodoo Bizango has been voted the best MTB for 2014 excellent value at 600quid.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:16 - May 20 with 4141 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 20:04 - May 20 by Jackfath

I'm chatting to some American chap who's trying to flog me this as we speak.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Road-Bikes/Focus-Culebro-10-Bike-2012

Focus are a well known make and well respected but I am not aware of that model.

I am assuming you have cooked his head by now!

I would recommend the following as good starter bikes

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road-track-bike/ribble-7005-sportive?part=BB14

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f95-sora-wiggle-exclusive/

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58ALUTIA/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-shimano-tiagra-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogI
[Post edited 20 May 2014 20:25]

One for the cyclists here... on 20:23 - May 20 with 4131 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 20:00 - May 20 by Pacemaker

That does seem quite wide compared to a road bike, I did put hybrid tyres on my old MTB but that was on a 26" wheel I think I it was 26 x 1,5" (which is about 40mm ) so about the same size width wise. My rims were obv meant for MTB.

I would think a bit of research on the wheels or bike model would tell you how narrow you could go, if not a call into a local bike shop should identify your limits.

You might be able to see on the actual rim of the wheel the range of widths suitable, the last thing you want going downhill is to see your wheel go one way and your tyre the other!

My mate has a Boardman hybrid which has got 700 x 28 tyres and is a really fast bike.

Which Model is his Boardman Lee?
[Post edited 20 May 2014 20:23]

Login to get fewer ads

One for the cyclists here... on 20:24 - May 20 with 4125 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 20:23 - May 20 by max936

Which Model is his Boardman Lee?
[Post edited 20 May 2014 20:23]

I think it's the comp Hybrid it's as good as a road bike with flat bars he had a bargain about £449 I think it was.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:25 - May 20 with 4118 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 20:16 - May 20 by Pacemaker

Focus are a well known make and well respected but I am not aware of that model.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road-track-bike/ribble-7005-sportive?part=BB14

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58ALUTIA/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-shimano-tiagra-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogI

Yes. After i told him I'd buy the bike but only if he threw in some freebies.

He offered me;

A shirt
A multi tool
Some stickers
and some bottles

I told him I would like a GPS and he's disappeared.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:27 - May 20 with 4115 viewsmax936

One for the cyclists here... on 20:24 - May 20 by Pacemaker

I think it's the comp Hybrid it's as good as a road bike with flat bars he had a bargain about £449 I think it was.

10% off on most bikes at Halfords this week, don't think it applies to the newer 2014 models though.

My mistake deal includes all bikes.
[Post edited 20 May 2014 20:29]

One for the cyclists here... on 20:28 - May 20 with 4115 viewsJackfath

He's just withdrawn the gifts and said I can have this instead.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Blackburn-Atom-SL-30-Cyclometer

One for the cyclists here... on 20:32 - May 20 with 4109 viewsPacemaker

Ha haha.

GPS I bet he was choking on that one.

Worth asking though I got a jacket, pump, multi tool and some tubes from Halfords when they buggered up my bike.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:38 - May 20 with 4104 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 20:32 - May 20 by Pacemaker

Ha haha.

GPS I bet he was choking on that one.

Worth asking though I got a jacket, pump, multi tool and some tubes from Halfords when they buggered up my bike.

He's gone now as I asked him to upgrade the wheels so it would be lighter for post and packaging.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:42 - May 20 with 4097 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 20:28 - May 20 by Jackfath

He's just withdrawn the gifts and said I can have this instead.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Blackburn-Atom-SL-30-Cyclometer

Cycle computers are dodgy your better off with your map my ride.

That bike is about £300 cheaper than you could buy here but I expect you would have to pay import tax etc.

Shimano Ultegra is a top end system so you wouldn't need to upgrade that, the range of gears is pretty good, the cassette is a good mid range model.

It is above a starter bike and there are quite a few bikes in that £500-£750 range that you couldn't go wrong with.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:43 - May 20 with 4096 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 20:16 - May 20 by Pacemaker

I like the Felt one out of those. Really not sure why though. Which one is the best in your opinion?

Here's another question.

If a bike like these was taken on the cycle path from Loughor to Burry Port would the tyres/rims cope with some of the rougher parts of that track? Obviously it would be better suited to the road but would it cope with a slightly rougher terrain?

One for the cyclists here... on 20:43 - May 20 with 4094 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 20:38 - May 20 by Jackfath

He's gone now as I asked him to upgrade the wheels so it would be lighter for post and packaging.

Ask him to fetch it over in a bike box for you it's only £35 as excess luggage you could pay him cash then.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:45 - May 20 with 4090 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 20:43 - May 20 by Pacemaker

Ask him to fetch it over in a bike box for you it's only £35 as excess luggage you could pay him cash then.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:49 - May 20 with 4085 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 20:43 - May 20 by Jackfath

I like the Felt one out of those. Really not sure why though. Which one is the best in your opinion?

Here's another question.

If a bike like these was taken on the cycle path from Loughor to Burry Port would the tyres/rims cope with some of the rougher parts of that track? Obviously it would be better suited to the road but would it cope with a slightly rougher terrain?

The felt is probably the best out of that lot as it has the best all round ability.

None of those are suitable for anything other than Tarmac.

You can get Cyclocross bikes which have wider tyres and stronger frames and components for rougher terrain they also have disc brakes and are obviously heavier as a result so not quite as quick as an all out road bike but they usually have eyelets for mudguards etc so more practical in winter.

They would still be quicker than your hybrid though.

One for the cyclists here... on 20:52 - May 20 with 4080 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 20:49 - May 20 by Pacemaker

The felt is probably the best out of that lot as it has the best all round ability.

None of those are suitable for anything other than Tarmac.

You can get Cyclocross bikes which have wider tyres and stronger frames and components for rougher terrain they also have disc brakes and are obviously heavier as a result so not quite as quick as an all out road bike but they usually have eyelets for mudguards etc so more practical in winter.

They would still be quicker than your hybrid though.

You should open a bike shop.

One for the cyclists here... on 21:05 - May 20 with 4068 viewsPacemaker

One for the cyclists here... on 20:52 - May 20 by Jackfath

You should open a bike shop.

I am currently studying for my bike mechanics qualification as I am thinking of starting up a mobile bike mechanic to service bikes at customers homes. I can do most jobs as a result of just having an interest in bikes and loads of my mates ask me to sort out gears, cables, bearings, tyres etc

My current job will be finishing in 18 months to 2 years so thought about doing something I enjoy in my twilight years. Don't want to open a shop with all the overheads involved. I have a decent size garage I can use but most customers would obviously prefer to get a job done straight off at home.

Obv there will be a small discount for fellow Jack Army members!

One for the cyclists here... on 20:54 - May 21 with 4036 viewsJackfath

21 miles done. Slow pace though. Knackered.

One for the cyclists here... on 21:16 - May 21 with 4025 viewsPacemaker

21 miles not to be sniffed at no matter what the time. Remember you have been working all day and may well be tired anyway without exercising as well.

Make sure you have eaten properly lunch time and plenty of fluids when it is as warm as today.

I do more or less the same commute most days some days it goes great other days for no obvious reason it is crap. Was having a bit of a crap day tonight then saw this guy in front of me and started working harder to catch up with him then sprinted away the remainder of the journey, felt great coming home.

Checked my time and it was slower than an "ordinary" ride I had done earlier in the week.

It does sound as if you have been working quite hard, you will probably plateau for a bit then start moving on again in levels of fitness, rest is as important as training, got to get your recovery periods in otherwise muscle fatigue will be the result.

One for the cyclists here... on 21:20 - May 21 with 4024 viewsJackfath

One for the cyclists here... on 21:16 - May 21 by Pacemaker

21 miles not to be sniffed at no matter what the time. Remember you have been working all day and may well be tired anyway without exercising as well.

Make sure you have eaten properly lunch time and plenty of fluids when it is as warm as today.

I do more or less the same commute most days some days it goes great other days for no obvious reason it is crap. Was having a bit of a crap day tonight then saw this guy in front of me and started working harder to catch up with him then sprinted away the remainder of the journey, felt great coming home.

Checked my time and it was slower than an "ordinary" ride I had done earlier in the week.

It does sound as if you have been working quite hard, you will probably plateau for a bit then start moving on again in levels of fitness, rest is as important as training, got to get your recovery periods in otherwise muscle fatigue will be the result.

Ave speed was 9 mph, although I did cycle up past 3Ms. I was determined not to get off and kept spinning. Mission accomplished.

The route I did was Llangyfelach, down through Morriston, joined cycle path, past Liberty down to Marina, across bridge, down to Blackpill, up to Gowerton, onto Gorseinon and then back to Llangyfelach.

My mind set is that next time it will be easier.

One for the cyclists here... on 21:24 - May 21 with 4017 viewsPacemaker

I am impressed!

That is a decent route fair play, no wonder you were knackered.

I used to have a similar route and at the highest point I used to try and beat my last time to that point, this resultied in some manic pedalling to save a second or two, but it did get easier and now when I cycle pass that point I always just check my time to see how i am going out of habit.
[Post edited 21 May 2014 21:28]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024