Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Old Swansea Night Clubs 07:13 - May 15 with 161107 viewsLord_Bony

Hey Anyone have any memories of the plethora of clubs on offer in the 70s80s90s? The good the bad and the ugly.

My personal fave was Barons...had some brilliant times there...REALLY miss that place

Here's some from about 20 years ago

http://www.moremusic.co.uk/swansea/swanclub.htm

[Post edited 15 May 2014 7:19]

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 08:48 - Aug 5 with 4169 viewsCaptain_Sham

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:04 - May 18 by pansypants

Where was the Admiral Benbow? I have heard many a tale

Nxt door to Neptunes. (Neptunes had an inordinately small dancefloor as I recall.)
[Post edited 5 Aug 2018 8:56]

Its just a ride.

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:00 - Aug 5 with 4109 viewsbuilthjack

If you couldn't pull in Marthas or Harpers, you went to Dora's For a rough one. Or to Barons for an old un.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:11 - Aug 5 with 4098 viewsLord_Bony

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:00 - Aug 5 by builthjack

If you couldn't pull in Marthas or Harpers, you went to Dora's For a rough one. Or to Barons for an old un.

Oh I don't know...some lovely birds in Barons.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 14:41 - Oct 13 with 3540 viewsGammon

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:00 - Aug 5 by builthjack

Dora’s! Now that’s bringing back memories. That place was dog rough.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 14:48 - Oct 13 with 3536 viewsdickythorpe

Walking around Swansea yesterday and I was wondering what the Quadrant Gate pub used to be like? I can't ever remember going in
The Eli Jenkins was ticking over nicely. What was it called before it changed its name circa 1996?

Good to see the "3 Lamps" return.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 15:14 - Oct 13 with 3506 viewssainthelens

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 10:11 - Aug 5 by Lord_Bony

Oh I don't know...some lovely birds in Barons.

Yep, and at 1.50 am it was like watching students on their marks in a Tesco Express waiting for the cheap out of date stock to become available.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 15:19 - Oct 13 with 3507 viewsraynor94

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 14:48 - Oct 13 by dickythorpe

Walking around Swansea yesterday and I was wondering what the Quadrant Gate pub used to be like? I can't ever remember going in
The Eli Jenkins was ticking over nicely. What was it called before it changed its name circa 1996?

The Criterion

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 15:44 - Oct 13 with 3488 viewsdickythorpe

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/ten-most-notorious-s
Login to get fewer ads

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:38 - Oct 13 with 3398 viewstheloneranger

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 14:48 - Oct 13 by dickythorpe

The Quadrant Gate was a much better pub when it was The Belle Vue Hotel.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:56 - Oct 13 with 3373 viewsdickythorpe

Gone now, but a lovely small Portuguese cafe/pastry shop there now.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 09:11 - Oct 14 with 3258 viewsTreforys_Jack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 08:11 - Aug 4 by bonymine

Christ .....just seen myself on there so slim and with hair !!!

Great times

Haha just clocked you mate, great times indeed.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:49 - Oct 15 with 3087 viewsbonymine

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 09:11 - Oct 14 by Treforys_Jack

Haha just clocked you mate, great times indeed.

Cheers Jamesy mate was speaking to Jeremy tonight organising our Sheffield Wednesday away trip next month we had some cracking away trips Torquay with ‘the forgeries back in 1988’ with Winnie was up there, Wycombe away & Huddersfield at Wembley in 1994 amongst others....then 2011 at Wembley when I met Brendan and my son captained Swansea City v Leeds in the Kids Cup Final......Happy Days ......... never to be repeated !!

So many more we can recall (or not !!’) ....that’s all for now folks ........’

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 23:20 - Oct 15 with 3065 viewsTreforys_Jack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:49 - Oct 15 by bonymine

Cheers Jamesy mate was speaking to Jeremy tonight organising our Sheffield Wednesday away trip next month we had some cracking away trips Torquay with ‘the forgeries back in 1988’ with Winnie was up there, Wycombe away & Huddersfield at Wembley in 1994 amongst others....then 2011 at Wembley when I met Brendan and my son captained Swansea City v Leeds in the Kids Cup Final......Happy Days ......... never to be repeated !!

So many more we can recall (or not !!’) ....that’s all for now folks ........’

Jeremy's Sunday night tours, ending up in the Taj , Torquay was a good un , apart from the weather. I can remember thinking we're never going to get in with these forgeries, they were shocking, then when we got there, the guy on the turnstile was about 80, didn't Winnie get thrown out and got back in with another forgery
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:54 - Oct 17 with 2880 viewsbonymine

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 23:20 - Oct 15 by Treforys_Jack

Jeremy's Sunday night tours, ending up in the Taj , Torquay was a good un , apart from the weather. I can remember thinking we're never going to get in with these forgeries, they were shocking, then when we got there, the guy on the turnstile was about 80, didn't Winnie get thrown out and got back in with another forgery

Yes mate him & Gwyther (RIP) went down the night before we met them outside before going in the ground then Winnie got kicked out before kick off but got back in with another forgery !!

They were like cloakroom tickets back in the day we were supposed to have an allocation of 200 tickets 😳 but I know of a few ‘Printers’ locally who produced a ticket which looked more authentic than the original !! 🤣🤣

Happy Days !!!

Catch up soon mate 👍😉

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 15:35 - May 5 with 2568 viewspansypants

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:56 - Oct 13 by dickythorpe

Gone now, but a lovely small Portuguese cafe/pastry shop there now.

That's gone now as well old pal.

Anyway, what club would you bring back and why?(once lockdown is lifted)

Poll: Sick of the media love in with Brazil?

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 15:57 - May 5 with 2544 viewscontroversial_jack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 15:35 - May 5 by pansypants

Barons. A late drink with an older crowd and friendly ladies
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 16:44 - May 5 with 2509 viewsgordondg

Jazz club,glanmor park rd,cracking Friday night then down the Asian grill.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:23 - May 5 with 2425 viewsBest_loser

I always thought Harper's was the best club, not too big not too small

Lots of fights though, never saw much trouble in barons but Harper's seemed to have lots
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:36 - May 5 with 2416 viewsjack2jack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:23 - May 5 by Best_loser

I always thought Harper's was the best club, not too big not too small

Lots of fights though, never saw much trouble in barons but Harper's seemed to have lots

My favourite too, Valbonne was excellent, saw a few bounced down the stairs there.
Got to be honest, never saw any trouble in Harper's ever, and I spent most of my time in there, during the early 80s. First stop was always Shades.👍
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:48 - May 5 with 2403 viewsBest_loser

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:36 - May 5 by jack2jack

My favourite too, Valbonne was excellent, saw a few bounced down the stairs there.
Got to be honest, never saw any trouble in Harper's ever, and I spent most of my time in there, during the early 80s. First stop was always Shades.👍

I must have gone on bad nights then 😁

When I say fights they mostly involved customers resisting being ejected by bouncers, usually in weekdays, not so bad at weekends
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:53 - May 5 with 2397 viewsjack2jack

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:48 - May 5 by Best_loser

When I say fights they mostly involved customers resisting being ejected by bouncers, usually in weekdays, not so bad at weekends

Fridays and Saturdays were superb, happy days, never to be repeated.👍
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:25 - May 6 with 2295 viewsJack59

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 22:48 - May 5 by Best_loser

I'm not sure if it was still called Harpers in the late 90's, but during that time there was a bad crowd going there on week nights, and I did see quite a bit of trouble then.
The Harpers years that I remember best were in the early to late 80's when it was owned by Bill Phillipart, in fairness it was a great club then.
I probably was there twice a week for 4 or 5 years and I don't remember much trouble at all during those years.
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:52 - May 6 with 2281 viewsBest_loser

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 18:25 - May 6 by Jack59

I'm not sure if it was still called Harpers in the late 90's, but during that time there was a bad crowd going there on week nights, and I did see quite a bit of trouble then.
The Harpers years that I remember best were in the early to late 80's when it was owned by Bill Phillipart, in fairness it was a great club then.
I probably was there twice a week for 4 or 5 years and I don't remember much trouble at all during those years.

Maybe he named the club

I always assumed it was named after the culture magazine
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:03 - May 6 with 2267 viewsNicetoMichu

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 15:35 - May 5 by pansypants

Pastel de Nata owner has gone over to home delivery it looks like, one of the businesses just been added to Swansea council spreadsheet for up and running at the moment, ooh yep he's got a fb page https://m.facebook.com/Pastel-de-Nata-in-Abertawe-1822778594438585/
Old Swansea Night Clubs on 19:06 - May 6 with 2262 viewsmonmouth

Old Swansea Night Clubs on 08:48 - Aug 5 by Captain_Sham

Nxt door to Neptunes. (Neptunes had an inordinately small dancefloor as I recall.)
[Post edited 5 Aug 2018 8:56]

Was this the surf? My first ever ‘disco’ aged 15. Far too scared to ask girls to dance. They were like creatures from Zog to me. Penlan (before girls were allowed in) had that effect on me.

Edit: actually they are creatures from Zog aren’t they?
[Post edited 6 May 2020 19:07]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024