Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? 12:12 - May 31 with 84023 viewsTrundle10

Got a lot of different species here at the moment. Nuthatch, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Long Tailed Tits, Chaffinch, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Robins, bullfinch, Gold finch.
What visitors do you get on yours?
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 22:15 - Feb 22 with 2884 viewsBrynCartwright

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 22:20 - Jan 28 by Darran

We get a bastard Sparrow Hawk.

Why so negative about a completely awesome killing machine?...acutely adapted to doing what it does?

This bird can fly through woodland and back gardens at amazing speeds and pick off birds and small rodents just as it was designed to do.

Seeing one is a massive privilege..

Poll: Artificial Crowd Noise for Premier League and Champiionship Games is...

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 09:56 - Feb 23 with 2792 viewsProfessor

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:42 - Feb 22 by karnataka

I know this thread is about birds in the garden but a few days ago, from an upstairs window, I saw a Great White Egret in one of fields near our house so seen from our property but not in it. There are a few resident about 5-6 miles from where we live but I've never previously seen one around here. Think it's probably because there is still a lot of flood water around.

Get quite a few by me-I live about 200m from the Dee Estuary Marshes which has a RSPB centre about 2 miles down the road. Lots of Egrets and Herons and other marginal land birds especially Godwits. Also quite a number of raptors such as Harriers picking off small mammals around the marsh.

Had a Sparrow Hawk take out a Blackbird fledgling on my decking about 5 years ago-hell of a sight at 6 am.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 13:04 - Feb 23 with 2763 viewslifelong

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 09:56 - Feb 23 by Professor

Get quite a few by me-I live about 200m from the Dee Estuary Marshes which has a RSPB centre about 2 miles down the road. Lots of Egrets and Herons and other marginal land birds especially Godwits. Also quite a number of raptors such as Harriers picking off small mammals around the marsh.

Had a Sparrow Hawk take out a Blackbird fledgling on my decking about 5 years ago-hell of a sight at 6 am.

Lots of Egrets on the Loughor Estuary, it was once an endangered species, now there are plenty of them about.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 13:41 - Feb 23 with 2758 viewswobbly

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:19 - Jul 8 by WarwickHunt

Nice tits
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 21:03 - Feb 25 with 2653 viewskarnataka

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 09:56 - Feb 23 by Professor

Quite a few Great White Egrets or just egrets in general? If there are 'quite a few' aren't they Little Egrets and not Great Whites?
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:08 - Feb 25 with 2625 viewsjacktar

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:53 - Jan 28 by Darran

Every single day we get.

Blue Tit.
Coal Tit.
Great Tit.
Long Tailed Tit.
Chaffinch.
Bullfinch.
Robin.
Wren.
Nuthatch.
Magpie.
Jay.
Jackdaw.
Carrion Crow.
Blackbird.
Song Thrush.
Dunnock.
House Sparrow.
Collared Dove.
Wood Pigeon.
Starling.
Tree Creeper.
Grey Wagtail.
Pied Wagtail.

We’ve also had over the last few years.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.
Brambling.
Blackcap.
Siskin.
Greenfinch
Goldfinch.
Fieldfare.
Herring Gull.
Rook.
Goldcrest.

Not many cats around your place then Dar. Lots around us and they sit on the fence waiting for something to come along. It's usually sparrows, starlings, the odd blackbird and thrush and others few and far between.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:16 - Feb 25 with 2617 viewsDarran

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:08 - Feb 25 by jacktar

Not many cats around your place then Dar. Lots around us and they sit on the fence waiting for something to come along. It's usually sparrows, starlings, the odd blackbird and thrush and others few and far between.

Get an air gun.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 16:29 - Mar 1 with 2497 viewsDarran

Today.

Login to get fewer ads

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:11 - Mar 1 with 2479 viewsWxmJax

The wife banned the feeding of birds after they became very picky and we had various grasses and the like growing up through the paving. Anyway, feeling sorry for them I put some of those fruit balls out today.
I then had the scenario of 4 blackbirds nearby, one guarding the food from the others but not eating it. Bearing in mind that it's snowing again and the food will soon be covered as I had to clear an area of snow for them in the first place I can only deduce that birds are thick. It's the same with the robin. Don't guard it, just eat it.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:13 - Mar 1 with 2478 viewsDarran

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:11 - Mar 1 by WxmJax

The wife banned the feeding of birds after they became very picky and we had various grasses and the like growing up through the paving. Anyway, feeling sorry for them I put some of those fruit balls out today.
I then had the scenario of 4 blackbirds nearby, one guarding the food from the others but not eating it. Bearing in mind that it's snowing again and the food will soon be covered as I had to clear an area of snow for them in the first place I can only deduce that birds are thick. It's the same with the robin. Don't guard it, just eat it.

Don’t use seed then you fool.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:14 - Mar 1 with 2476 viewsDarran

Just had a female Blackcap. Landed,much.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 19:03 - Mar 1 with 2456 viewsWxmJax

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:14 - Mar 1 by Darran

Well it's obviously landed there just to have a shit. It'll be full of seeds as well

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:32 - Mar 1 with 2432 viewsGowerjack

Lapwings today.

Often seen when the weather is snowy.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:36 - Mar 1 with 2427 viewsFlashberryjack

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:32 - Mar 1 by Gowerjack

Lapwings today.

Often seen when the weather is snowy.

Funny you should mention Lapwings, I saw about 6 birds flying down the valley this afternoon and thought they looked like Lapwings, I have never seen them around here before.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:41 - Mar 1 with 2424 viewsoldgrey

Being as mad as a badger, I went down WWT Llanelli today, taking advantage of the unseasonably mild weather.
Plenty of lapwing about on the scrapes. Water Rail on feeder on the way to the Peter Scott hide. Saw Great White Egret there also, my first. Would post a photo I took if I knew how.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:53 - Mar 1 with 2405 viewscsf

Staying in Nicholaston for two nights, seen a big flock 20-30 lapwing, some fieldfare and then more common garden birds. As well as a GS Woodpecker. Great start to our break.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:22 - Mar 2 with 2323 viewskarnataka

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:14 - Mar 1 by Darran

Nice one.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:25 - Mar 2 with 2318 viewskarnataka

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:41 - Mar 1 by oldgrey

Being as mad as a badger, I went down WWT Llanelli today, taking advantage of the unseasonably mild weather.
Plenty of lapwing about on the scrapes. Water Rail on feeder on the way to the Peter Scott hide. Saw Great White Egret there also, my first. Would post a photo I took if I knew how.

Last month or so, we've had flocks of up to about 200 lapwings on the Somerset Levels.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:34 - Mar 2 with 2315 viewskarnataka

With all the snow around, we've had loads of Redwings & Fieldfares in the garden today.

A bit fuzzy, taken through glass.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:38 - Mar 2 with 2312 viewsDarran

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:34 - Mar 2 by karnataka

With all the snow around, we've had loads of Redwings & Fieldfares in the garden today.

A bit fuzzy, taken through glass.

Superb Dave,we had a Fieldfare today too.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:56 - Mar 2 with 2307 viewskarnataka

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:38 - Mar 2 by Darran

Superb Dave,we had a Fieldfare today too.

Cheers Dar, we've had about 10-12 Fieldfares and about 20+ Redwings most of the day. Some of the Redwings have landed on a cotoneaster just outside my window and about 2 feet from where I was sitting. That female Blackcap would have been an extremely unusual sight at this time of year before about 20 years ago but the numbers wintering in the UK have grown steadily since then.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 18:02 - Mar 2 with 2304 viewsDarran

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:56 - Mar 2 by karnataka

Cheers Dar, we've had about 10-12 Fieldfares and about 20+ Redwings most of the day. Some of the Redwings have landed on a cotoneaster just outside my window and about 2 feet from where I was sitting. That female Blackcap would have been an extremely unusual sight at this time of year before about 20 years ago but the numbers wintering in the UK have grown steadily since then.

We had a Chiffchaff yesterday too but by the time I’d grabbed my camera it had flown.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 18:52 - Mar 2 with 2285 viewsBrynCartwright

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 18:02 - Mar 2 by Darran

We had a Chiffchaff yesterday too but by the time I’d grabbed my camera it had flown.

Bit early for Chiffcahaff ain't it? They are a Summer visitor from Africa and are pretty much identical to Willow Warbler apart from their call. What did it's one song sound like?

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 19:10 - Mar 2 with 2276 viewsBrynCartwright

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 18:52 - Mar 2 by BrynCartwright

Bit early for Chiffcahaff ain't it? They are a Summer visitor from Africa and are pretty much identical to Willow Warbler apart from their call. What did it's one song sound like?

Sorry Darran; just checked the most recent ranges on the the Chiffchaff and , although unusual, it is not impossible to have one here this time of year.

They do over winter in Spain and some in more Northerly coastal areas.

Must be feeling the cold though poor little dwt.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 19:12 - Mar 2 with 2268 viewsBrynCartwright

Also...what I love about this thread is that it has had more views than Pikey's horrid countdown thread.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024