Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? 12:12 - May 31 with 84619 viewsTrundle10

Got a lot of different species here at the moment. Nuthatch, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Coal Tits, Long Tailed Tits, Chaffinch, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Robins, bullfinch, Gold finch.
What visitors do you get on yours?
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 19:17 - Mar 2 with 3921 viewsDarran

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 19:10 - Mar 2 by BrynCartwright

Sorry Darran; just checked the most recent ranges on the the Chiffchaff and , although unusual, it is not impossible to have one here this time of year.

They do over winter in Spain and some in more Northerly coastal areas.

Must be feeling the cold though poor little dwt.

lol listen to Bill Oddie trying to tell me about birds.

There was one spotted in Devon earlier today too.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 19:20 - Mar 2 with 3915 viewsswanforthemoney

It's important to give them water when it's this cold. Trouble is, the bowl I put out froze over every couple of hours.

I stand in the North Stand

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 19:39 - Mar 2 with 3903 viewsGowerjack

Loads of Redwings today

30 to 40 of them

Aggressive blighters

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 19:41 - Mar 2 with 3902 viewsDarran

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 19:39 - Mar 2 by Gowerjack

Loads of Redwings today

30 to 40 of them

Aggressive blighters

Photos?

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:00 - Mar 2 with 3887 viewslifelong

How do you tell the difference between a Chiff Chaff and a Willow Warbler, apart from their song?
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:04 - Mar 2 with 3884 viewsDarran

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:00 - Mar 2 by lifelong

How do you tell the difference between a Chiff Chaff and a Willow Warbler, apart from their song?

The Willow Warbler is slightly paler.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:19 - Mar 2 with 3873 viewslifelong

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:04 - Mar 2 by Darran

The Willow Warbler is slightly paler.

The Chiff Chaff has dark coloured legs with the Willow Warbler’s legs being paler, otherwise they are very similar birds.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:28 - Mar 2 with 3864 viewsDr_Winston

I put seeds and fat balls out but the pigeons, blackbirds and magpies scoff the lot before more interesting customers appear.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:30 - Mar 2 with 3863 viewsDarran

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:19 - Mar 2 by lifelong

The Chiff Chaff has dark coloured legs with the Willow Warbler’s legs being paler, otherwise they are very similar birds.

And that.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:33 - Mar 2 with 3854 viewsSwanzay

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:28 - Mar 2 by Dr_Winston

I put seeds and fat balls out but the pigeons, blackbirds and magpies scoff the lot before more interesting customers appear.

Same here, but my fat balls have not been touched this week as they have frozen solid...
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:45 - Mar 2 with 3840 viewsWxmJax

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:38 - Mar 2 by Darran

Superb Dave,we had a Fieldfare today too.

We've had some fieldfare in the he garden as well. Never seen one before.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:55 - Mar 2 with 3830 viewskarnataka

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 19:17 - Mar 2 by Darran

lol listen to Bill Oddie trying to tell me about birds.

There was one spotted in Devon earlier today too.

I snapped this Chiffchaff in our garden late November. Thought it was a bit out of season so looked on the RSPB webiste and it says "Chiffchaffs can be seen all year round, but most arrive in late March and depart in August and September. More have been over-wintering in recent years".

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:56 - Mar 2 with 3827 viewsDarran

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 20:55 - Mar 2 by karnataka

I snapped this Chiffchaff in our garden late November. Thought it was a bit out of season so looked on the RSPB webiste and it says "Chiffchaffs can be seen all year round, but most arrive in late March and depart in August and September. More have been over-wintering in recent years".

Stunning Dave.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 21:14 - Mar 2 with 3819 viewsDarran

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowy-owl-picture-snow-weather-montreal

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 22:30 - Mar 2 with 3800 viewsNeathJack

Yesterday

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:09 - Mar 2 with 3783 viewsoldgrey

Regarding chiffchaffs and winter.
We were down kidwelly quay about a month ago on the look out for firecrest.
The hot spot is near the sewerage works (it always is).
No firecrest, but the trees there were full of goldcrests and chiffchaffs.
Never seen so many in one place.
Spoke to one of the other more experienced birdwatchers there and he confirmed that chiffchaffs now overwinter here although more migrate here in the spring.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 12:15 - Mar 8 with 3630 viewslifelong

Looking promising for some lodgers again this Spring.
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 17:24 - Mar 8 with 3598 viewscsf

Recently moved house which is now 300 yards closer to Morriston Park than the old one. Species we get in this one that we didn't see at the last one, Great tit, Goldfinch, Long tailed tit, and today we saw our first Siskins. It's the sunflower hearts that have done it. Still getting the blue tits and coal tits but no starlings! My wife tells me she saw a buillfinch but I haven't yet
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 13:14 - Mar 9 with 3555 viewsProfessor

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 21:03 - Feb 25 by karnataka

Quite a few Great White Egrets or just egrets in general? If there are 'quite a few' aren't they Little Egrets and not Great Whites?

Mainly Little Little Egrets with occasional Great Whites-which confused me a few years ago as though it was a strange Heron. Lots of waterfowl too. Not a great expert on wild birds only domesticated ones
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:32 - Mar 12 with 3481 viewsLohengrin

Today’s Guardian carried an article saying how garden feeding is killing with kindness. The gist of it being that wild birds are gathering in unusual numbers and if the feeders aren’t cleaned every other day then the sheer volume of birds coming into contact with droppings is serving to greatly increase the spread of avian diseases.

Give the feeders a thorough clean before you refill them, folks.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:51 - Mar 12 with 3462 viewslifelong

There’s a turf war going on in my garden between the Blue Tits and the Sparrows, they’ve been fighting over one of my nest boxes and it looks like the Sparrows have won. There’s one on permanent guard at the box while another one is inside. I haven’t seen this previously.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 08:19 - Mar 13 with 3422 viewsProfessor

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 23:32 - Mar 12 by Lohengrin

Today’s Guardian carried an article saying how garden feeding is killing with kindness. The gist of it being that wild birds are gathering in unusual numbers and if the feeders aren’t cleaned every other day then the sheer volume of birds coming into contact with droppings is serving to greatly increase the spread of avian diseases.

Give the feeders a thorough clean before you refill them, folks.

good advice- we did a fair bit of work with ZSL on this in the Northwest and in particular the Salmonella epidemic in wild birds around 12 years ago-thankful this has largely gone, but other diseases like Trichomonas are still common. Remember to wash hands as well-plenty of potential zoonoses from wild birds too,
Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 10:32 - Mar 13 with 3407 viewsLohengrin

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 22:30 - Mar 2 by NeathJack

Yesterday

Lovely

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 10:44 - Mar 13 with 3403 viewsDarran

Last week in the garden when we had snow.

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 10:48 - Mar 13 with 3397 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Does Anyone Here Feed Birds in the Garden? on 10:44 - Mar 13 by Darran

Last week in the garden when we had snow.

I reckon that last one is a trick photograph.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024