Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm 10:51 - Jul 21 with 13742 viewsJackSomething

So the Evening Post are reporting (with no quotes or sources) that Gylfi for Ben is a straight swap and will be completed in next few days, while Vorm is going to join Spurs for £2.5m:

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-City-defender-Ben-Davies-close-T

So it seems Ben and Gylfi have both been valued at around £10m. What do people think of that (if true)?

Personally, I don't think we would have settled for a straight swap if Pablo was still here. I think the need for an AM is so great that the club felt they had to compromise.

Vorm for £2.5m seems a little on the cheap side. How long was left on his contract?
[Post edited 21 Jul 2014 10:52]

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 10:55 - Jul 21 with 7344 viewsperchrockjack

Vorm seems cheap but seeing how he played last year it seems robbery on our part thankfully.
Ben is a great prospect but could well ot be a great as we might think he might be.
Gylfi is a class act and very effective. He will be a huge player for us

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 11:30 - Jul 21 with 7136 viewsbluenile

That's bollocks, and the writer should be shot and never allowed near the club again.................£2.5 million??..........not in my lifetime! Utter trash.....

Open the ipod bay doors Hal

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:05 - Jul 21 with 6985 viewsAngelRangelQS

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 11:30 - Jul 21 by bluenile

That's bollocks, and the writer should be shot and never allowed near the club again.................£2.5 million??..........not in my lifetime! Utter trash.....

I still think it's a great deal for us
Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:08 - Jul 21 with 6952 viewsraynor94

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 11:30 - Jul 21 by bluenile

What making a million pound profit on a keeper who hasn't played or been rubbish for the last eighteen months, seems like a good deal to me

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:30 - Jul 21 with 6825 viewsShaky

Hang on, where do you get £10 million from?

"Spurs had been tipped to pay around £10 million . . But . . .the two clubs have now agreed to a swap"

As it is a swap no actual money changes hands, and we could theoretically put any number we like on it such as £10 million or £10 bazillion, but the best number would seem to be £8 million which is what Liverpool and Spurs both bid initially, as well as the offer from Palace for Gylfi that was widely reported to have been accepted recently.

Is it too low? Sure, but it passes Phil's ridiculously low evaluation hurdle of being in the best interests of the club since we would otherwise find ourselves in the deeply unfortunate position of starting the new season without a recognised AM.

And it remains a matter strictly for non-fans only to consider where and whether any blame should be apportioned for getting us into that sad state of affairs in the first place.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:36 - Jul 21 with 6775 viewsCatullus

Non fans only? Oh no, that is the kind of debate that is the lifeblood of this board.

But then the Laudrup sycophants don't want us dissing their hero!!

And the HJ haters don't want us sticking up for him, or any of the board.

But if you'd told me we'd sell Davies and Vorm to Spurs and get Siggy and 2.5 million, I'd be fairly happy. Maybe there was another 2 million in it, but Levy is a hard bargainer. And we need an AM.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:39 - Jul 21 with 6743 viewsJackSomething

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:30 - Jul 21 by Shaky

Hang on, where do you get £10 million from?

"Spurs had been tipped to pay around £10 million . . But . . .the two clubs have now agreed to a swap"

As it is a swap no actual money changes hands, and we could theoretically put any number we like on it such as £10 million or £10 bazillion, but the best number would seem to be £8 million which is what Liverpool and Spurs both bid initially, as well as the offer from Palace for Gylfi that was widely reported to have been accepted recently.

Is it too low? Sure, but it passes Phil's ridiculously low evaluation hurdle of being in the best interests of the club since we would otherwise find ourselves in the deeply unfortunate position of starting the new season without a recognised AM.

And it remains a matter strictly for non-fans only to consider where and whether any blame should be apportioned for getting us into that sad state of affairs in the first place.

I did say around £10m, implying I didn't know for sure. It's been reported we turned down an initial bid of £8m from Spurs and that they were looking at more than £10m for Gylfi, so I thought £10m valuations on each may be where they ended up.

I don't know how a 'swap' deal works in football. Do the two clubs still have to pay each other transfer fees, or do they pass on the players' registrations without any money changing hands? I would have thought that there would have to be money exchanged, as otherwise there would presumably be two unhappy agents.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, perhaps they have valued them at £8m each, you may well be right.

I don't think we'd have got more than £12m for Ben under any circumstances.

It's good to see that even a staunch critic of the club such as yourself thinks this is a good deal for us if it happens.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:47 - Jul 21 with 6674 viewsShaky

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:39 - Jul 21 by JackSomething

I did say around £10m, implying I didn't know for sure. It's been reported we turned down an initial bid of £8m from Spurs and that they were looking at more than £10m for Gylfi, so I thought £10m valuations on each may be where they ended up.

I don't know how a 'swap' deal works in football. Do the two clubs still have to pay each other transfer fees, or do they pass on the players' registrations without any money changing hands? I would have thought that there would have to be money exchanged, as otherwise there would presumably be two unhappy agents.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, perhaps they have valued them at £8m each, you may well be right.

I don't think we'd have got more than £12m for Ben under any circumstances.

It's good to see that even a staunch critic of the club such as yourself thinks this is a good deal for us if it happens.

I think it is a reasonable deal under the circumstances, that nevertheless reveal a disturbing lack of foresight, imagination, scouting, etc..

Misology -- It's a bitch

Login to get fewer ads

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:52 - Jul 21 with 6633 viewsTom1912

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:47 - Jul 21 by Shaky

I think it is a reasonable deal under the circumstances, that nevertheless reveal a disturbing lack of foresight, imagination, scouting, etc..

No it doesn't.

Nothing to say that we didn't select Sigurdsson as our top target after assessing other options. I also think we'd have gone for him without Spurs going for Davies.
Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:52 - Jul 21 with 6626 viewslondonlisa2001

I think that the concept of some of the value of this deal being in Spurs' subsidy of part of Sigurdsson's wages is too much for the Post to understand.

Rather more surprised that it's also too much for our resident financial wizard to understand.

Thankfully the Telegraph understood it which is why they spoke of 'effective value' to the Swans with the 'effective value' being made up partly of cash and partly of the wage subsidy meaning that we save cash over the life of the Sigurdsson contract which we would otherwise have had to pay (or looking at it another way - it's meant that we've signed a player who was otherwise too expensive for us).
Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:01 - Jul 21 with 6557 viewsraynor94

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:52 - Jul 21 by londonlisa2001

I think that the concept of some of the value of this deal being in Spurs' subsidy of part of Sigurdsson's wages is too much for the Post to understand.

Rather more surprised that it's also too much for our resident financial wizard to understand.

Thankfully the Telegraph understood it which is why they spoke of 'effective value' to the Swans with the 'effective value' being made up partly of cash and partly of the wage subsidy meaning that we save cash over the life of the Sigurdsson contract which we would otherwise have had to pay (or looking at it another way - it's meant that we've signed a player who was otherwise too expensive for us).

Fair play Lisa, your posts are a pleasure to read, thanks for the interpretation

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:03 - Jul 21 with 6535 viewsjasonbromham

Little update on this, Reported on the sky sports transfer centre that ben davies has passed his medical and should defintely be completed by tomorrow.

There is also this on vorm too - http://www1.skysports.com/transfer/news/11661/9389545/transfer-news-tottenham-in
Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:08 - Jul 21 with 6492 viewsShaky

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:52 - Jul 21 by londonlisa2001

What is it about the word swap you don't understand, Lisa?

Misology -- It's a bitch

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:10 - Jul 21 with 6478 viewsPozuelosSideys

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:08 - Jul 21 by Shaky

Fcking hell you're thick.

She's going to run rings around you again.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:22 - Jul 21 with 6369 viewsShaky

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:10 - Jul 21 by PozuelosSideys

Fcking hell you're thick.

She's going to run rings around you again.

Just because LyingLisa is able to at once confound and impress you and raynor with a load of semi-gibberish verbiage, doesn't mean I fall into the same boat.

Are you with me, sonny?

Misology -- It's a bitch

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:25 - Jul 21 with 6342 viewsPozuelosSideys

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:22 - Jul 21 by Shaky

Just because LyingLisa is able to at once confound and impress you and raynor with a load of semi-gibberish verbiage, doesn't mean I fall into the same boat.

Are you with me, sonny?

I'm with you Pops. But you can never, ever be correct as your starting position is always wrong. Great viewing though. Its like carcrash messageboarding. Awesome stuff.

Oh, and 'semi-gibberish verbiage'..? Bwaaah.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:26 - Jul 21 with 6329 viewslondonlisa2001

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:08 - Jul 21 by Shaky

assuming this isn't a joke....

We want Gylfi - they value him at £8m
They want Ben - we value him at £10m

Gylfi is on £50k pw at Spurs with 2 years of his contract remaining - why should he move for less money than that - he won't even though he is happy to come back to the Swans.

We can't pay him £50k per week because it affects our wage budgets and leads to other players' arrangements being out of sync.

Both clubs agree that Spurs give £2m to Gylfi (c. £20k per week over the 2 years remaining) and we pay him say £30k per week (so within our wage budgets).

We have swapped the players (hence 'a swap') but the effective value to us is £10m (£8m fee for Gylfi offsetting £8m of the £10m we want for Ben and £2m subsidy of Gylfi's wages making up the remainder of the £10m we want for Ben).

That bloke you screwed over at Merrill Lynch must have been a real star.
Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:30 - Jul 21 with 6288 viewssomersetsimon

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 12:52 - Jul 21 by Tom1912

No it doesn't.

Nothing to say that we didn't select Sigurdsson as our top target after assessing other options. I also think we'd have gone for him without Spurs going for Davies.

Maybe there are potential AM's out there, but given that we are losing both Michu and Pablo, it seems sensible to go for Gylfi as a low risk option. We know his capabilities and we know he fits our system.
Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:32 - Jul 21 with 6268 viewsShaky

So the real deal as you have personally divined it, is that the agreement comprises a) a player swap; and b) a gift from Mr Levy to Gylfi.

I suggest you immediately inform the Evening Post of their reporting error, with an accompanying note detailing your source (tarrot cards/palm reading/rune casting/delete as appropriate)

Misology -- It's a bitch

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:33 - Jul 21 with 6248 viewsscottishjack

The only one I don't understand in all this is Vorm...Off to warm the bench at Spurs? I can't see him shifting Lloris anytime soon. Surely he'd be better moving to a club looking for a No. 1 keeper?
Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:34 - Jul 21 with 6237 viewsTom1912

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:30 - Jul 21 by somersetsimon

Maybe there are potential AM's out there, but given that we are losing both Michu and Pablo, it seems sensible to go for Gylfi as a low risk option. We know his capabilities and we know he fits our system.

Exactly.
Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:37 - Jul 21 with 6209 viewslondonlisa2001

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:32 - Jul 21 by Shaky

So the real deal as you have personally divined it, is that the agreement comprises a) a player swap; and b) a gift from Mr Levy to Gylfi.

I suggest you immediately inform the Evening Post of their reporting error, with an accompanying note detailing your source (tarrot cards/palm reading/rune casting/delete as appropriate)

It's the deal that both the Telegraph and the Mail have reported along with many other sources including Tottenham sites.

I don't think informing the Post of their reporting errors would be a good use of anyone's time - be like painting the Forth Bridge although in some ways they are not so much wrong as not reporting the full details of the deal.

Glad you understand it now though - if it's still difficult for you, maybe think of it like Spurs wanting an apple and the Swans wanting a banana .....
Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:37 - Jul 21 with 6207 viewsTom1912

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:32 - Jul 21 by Shaky

Not usual for clubs continue to subsidise wages of players after they've left.

It's not exactly a huge leap to see this is likely to be what's happening here. Spurs want to move Sigurdsson on, Sigurdsson doesn't want to lose the wage he agreed to in his contract with Spurs and we want to sign Sigurdsson but can't afford to match that wage. This compromise works for all parties.
Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:44 - Jul 21 with 6163 viewslondonlisa2001

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:37 - Jul 21 by Tom1912

Not usual for clubs continue to subsidise wages of players after they've left.

It's not exactly a huge leap to see this is likely to be what's happening here. Spurs want to move Sigurdsson on, Sigurdsson doesn't want to lose the wage he agreed to in his contract with Spurs and we want to sign Sigurdsson but can't afford to match that wage. This compromise works for all parties.

This sort of deal appears to happen quite frequently at this level.

I think that we're not used to this sort of stuff because we have always plied our trade at lower levels where deals tend to be more straightforward I guess - you want a player, you pay the fee, they move.

There are all sorts of strange details in higher level type transfers - I think that when Adebayor went from Man City to Spurs this type of thing happened and someone said elsewhere on the board that top players often have several sources of income coming in from various clubs (and, indeed, not here but in other countries, are sometimes actually owned by more than one club / source - wasn't there something like that with Borini?)
Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:48 - Jul 21 with 6121 viewsShaky

Evening Post on Gylfi, Davies and Vorm on 13:37 - Jul 21 by londonlisa2001

It's the deal that both the Telegraph and the Mail have reported along with many other sources including Tottenham sites.

I don't think informing the Post of their reporting errors would be a good use of anyone's time - be like painting the Forth Bridge although in some ways they are not so much wrong as not reporting the full details of the deal.

Glad you understand it now though - if it's still difficult for you, maybe think of it like Spurs wanting an apple and the Swans wanting a banana .....

The Mail have now changed their mind: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2699182/Tottenham-swap-Gylfi-S

And the Telegraph are usually clueless.

Try to keep up will you.

Misology -- It's a bitch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024