Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? 11:39 - Aug 6 with 6125 viewsJokeren1943

The backbone of Laudrups players - Pablo, Chico, Guzman, and Michu are all leaving Swansea - within 6 months after the old manager was sacked.

Seem there were a general anger (among this group) against the decision made by the Swansea board in January. - true or not,they feelt that Laudrup was'nt treated fair. Both Pablo and Chico even seem to join Laudrups new club.

It is not interesting to discuss the sack of the old manager (enough have been said about that). Would be much more interesting to discuss what effect will the major changes in starting linie-up have for Swansea in the new season.

Will Swansea hit the ground running or will the squad struggle for the first months?

Who has left among the starters:

Vorm
Chico
Davies
Guzman
Pablo
Michu
[Post edited 6 Aug 2014 11:41]
The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 11:47 - Aug 6 with 5177 viewsDarran

It's quite obvious from the threads you've started recently that you hope they do.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 11:51 - Aug 6 with 5159 viewsEarl_Strickland

Im sure some people would love Garry Monk to struggle (unbelievable but true) but i have a good feeling about him and his work ethic.
Laudrup would have taken us down in that i have no doubt, Monks has had a good look at the group he inherited and acted accordingly. He has so far replaced well Imo and with Gylfi I believe we have a gem of a player who wil excel this season.
The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 11:53 - Aug 6 with 5145 viewsDarran

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 11:51 - Aug 6 by Earl_Strickland

Im sure some people would love Garry Monk to struggle (unbelievable but true) but i have a good feeling about him and his work ethic.
Laudrup would have taken us down in that i have no doubt, Monks has had a good look at the group he inherited and acted accordingly. He has so far replaced well Imo and with Gylfi I believe we have a gem of a player who wil excel this season.

The OP is still grizzling from his beloved Laudrup being sacked.
Get over it FFS.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 11:56 - Aug 6 with 5130 viewsthomasJack

well Chico and Pablo hasn't left yet....

Poll: Next signing

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:00 - Aug 6 with 5103 viewslondonlisa2001

Pablo is not joining Laudrup's new club.

And it could equally be argued that they reason they are leaving is not because they are angry with the club but rather that Monk isn't prepared to put up with their nonsense in the way that Laudrup was.

Oh and Michu wasn't a starter for the second half of last season (when we did better than we did in the first half).

In my view we have improved the first choice goalkeeper, stayed pretty level on Davies / Taylor, improved Michu (of last season) vs Gomis (sorry, I know Michu was a 'midfielder' but he really wasn't was he), improved Pablo vs Gylfi.

I believe we need another DM a new centre back if Chico goes and another right back. Will we do that? Don't know.
The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:09 - Aug 6 with 5046 viewsPozuelosSideys

If there are no more outgoings, we look more potent going forward. Think we will score lots of goals. I also think we will concede more.

So no, dont think we will miss Michu or Pablo, but suspect we will miss Chico and Davies.

Hope we get JDG back too, although cant see it happening now.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:10 - Aug 6 with 5040 viewsUxbridge

The squad's clearly weaker than it was three months ago. I'm amazed anyone's arguing otherwise. We need a few more in, but then the club seem to realise that too. The time to worry is if we don't get them in.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:11 - Aug 6 with 5027 viewsJokeren1943

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:09 - Aug 6 by PozuelosSideys

If there are no more outgoings, we look more potent going forward. Think we will score lots of goals. I also think we will concede more.

So no, dont think we will miss Michu or Pablo, but suspect we will miss Chico and Davies.

Hope we get JDG back too, although cant see it happening now.

Agree, a bit surprising we haven't seen Guzman.
Login to get fewer ads

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:14 - Aug 6 with 5000 viewsPozuelosSideys

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:11 - Aug 6 by Jokeren1943

Agree, a bit surprising we haven't seen Guzman.

Not sure how much of Gylfi youve seen, but theres a reason people are excited to have him back here. Spurs played him out of position, we wont. He has massive potential and fits our style better than Michu imo.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:23 - Aug 6 with 4931 viewsTom1912

We need a more defensive minded midfielder and that's not De Guzman. I think Ki is his replacement. He's not as good as JDG but he's a lot cheaper.
The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:25 - Aug 6 with 4919 viewsJokeren1943

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:14 - Aug 6 by PozuelosSideys

Not sure how much of Gylfi youve seen, but theres a reason people are excited to have him back here. Spurs played him out of position, we wont. He has massive potential and fits our style better than Michu imo.

Guzman:
To me Guzman is so calm under pressure (much more then Shelvey).
Play great in the big matchs.
Scores alot of gals.
Makes a hell lot of assists.
Can play bot center and winger (if needed).
The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:34 - Aug 6 with 4880 viewshammy

Not from what I saw at the Reading friendly last Saturday. We seemed to be playing well within ourselves and made a number of really good chances. We kept Reading down to a couple and they only scored via a wonder strike.

Fabianski needs to improve his distribution but he looks much better than Vorm in managing high balls into the box and his shot stopping looks fine.

Gomis and Montero look very good replacements for Michu and Pablo, especially since they were very injury prone last season.

Then there's Siggy and the return of Ki, which I believe will make our midfield very strong this season.

As for Chico well it seems that Bartley provides a bigger, stronger replacement, which should help with our weak defence at corners.

All in all I think we have a better first team squad than last season and with a couple of additions in key areas we should have a great season.

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:49 - Aug 6 with 4802 viewslondonlisa2001

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:25 - Aug 6 by Jokeren1943

Guzman:
To me Guzman is so calm under pressure (much more then Shelvey).
Play great in the big matchs.
Scores alot of gals.
Makes a hell lot of assists.
Can play bot center and winger (if needed).

I like De Guzman and hoped (hope?) that he may come back. But on all of the points that you have listed, Gylfi is far better in my opinion.
The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 13:35 - Aug 6 with 4675 viewsjakarmi

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 12:10 - Aug 6 by Uxbridge

The squad's clearly weaker than it was three months ago. I'm amazed anyone's arguing otherwise. We need a few more in, but then the club seem to realise that too. The time to worry is if we don't get them in.

Why do you think its weaker? Obviously you disagree that Fabianski is on a par with Vorm? Davies/Taylor? (for what its worth i think Kingsley will be 1st choice).

Early signs are Montero looks class, and Gomis we've tracked for a while, and looks to be more than an ample replacement for Michu, who was so disinterested for 3/4 of last season it was embarrassing.
Additionally having Ki back should be like a new signing.
As far as numbers go i'm glad he's off loaded players who were sitting around every matchday picking their wages. Ngog, Vasquez, Lita, Lamah all played at certain parts but dont think we'll notice they've gone.
The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 13:44 - Aug 6 with 4630 viewsUxbridge

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 13:35 - Aug 6 by jakarmi

Why do you think its weaker? Obviously you disagree that Fabianski is on a par with Vorm? Davies/Taylor? (for what its worth i think Kingsley will be 1st choice).

Early signs are Montero looks class, and Gomis we've tracked for a while, and looks to be more than an ample replacement for Michu, who was so disinterested for 3/4 of last season it was embarrassing.
As far as numbers go i'm glad he's off loaded players who were sitting around every matchday picking their wages. Ngog, Vasquez, Lita, Lamah all played at certain parts but dont think we'll notice they've gone.

I'd class Fabianski as better than Vorm.
We already had Taylor. The squad has seen us replace Davies with the Scottish kid. So, weaker overall there.
At CB we're about to lose Chico by the looks of it. So weaker there.
At RB we're the same, although hope we recruit.
In midfield, we've lost Canas, Poz, Pablo, JdG and Michu. We've recruited Sigi. As much as I love Gylfi, that's a lot of bodies to lose.
On the wings we've got Montero and Emnes in. Happy with options there.
Up front, we've sold some utter dross and got someone who looks half decent. Happy enough there, although one more young option would be ideal.

It's the defensive and midfield that worry me. We're currently losing two of our starting defenders from a position that was too light anyway. Plus I think we're at least one full back short. The Leon position worries me too ... fan favourite I know and Canas got pelters from a significant section but going into this season with only Leon as a DM worries me.

We're not way off, and I think what we have recruited is quality. But if we don't get 2 or 3 defenders and another midfielder in, I think we're short.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2014 13:46]

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:01 - Aug 6 with 4565 viewsStarsky

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 13:35 - Aug 6 by jakarmi

Excellent post but you forgot Gylfi

It's just the internet, init.

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:20 - Aug 6 with 4492 viewsWarwickHunt

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 13:44 - Aug 6 by Uxbridge

We already had Taylor. The squad has seen us replace Davies with the Scottish kid. So, weaker overall there.
In midfield, we've lost Canas, Poz, Pablo, JdG and Michu. We've recruited Sigi. As much as I love Gylfi, that's a lot of bodies to lose.
Up front, we've sold some utter dross and got someone who looks half decent. Happy enough there, although one more young option would be ideal.

It's the defensive and midfield that worry me. We're currently losing two of our starting defenders from a position that was too light anyway. Plus I think we're at least one full back short. The Leon position worries me too ... fan favourite I know and Canas got pelters from a significant section but going into this season with only Leon as a DM worries me.

We're not way off, and I think what we have recruited is quality. But if we don't get 2 or 3 defenders and another midfielder in, I think we're short.

Pretty much spot on.

If anyone seriously thinks our squad is stronger I suggest that picking the bench for defence and midfield for OT next week might have a sobering effect.

Factor in an injury and/or a red card if you're feeling really brave...
The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:22 - Aug 6 with 4483 viewslondonlisa2001

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:20 - Aug 6 by WarwickHunt

Pretty much spot on.

If anyone seriously thinks our squad is stronger I suggest that picking the bench for defence and midfield for OT next week might have a sobering effect.

Factor in an injury and/or a red card if you're feeling really brave...

we definitely need in my opinion a full back, a centre half (if Chico goes) and a defensive midfielder. I also think we need a wide/forward player (I think that's the third of Monk's 3 players since Chico makes it four I would think) but this is less urgent in my mind.
The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:22 - Aug 6 with 4481 viewsJackSomething

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 13:44 - Aug 6 by Uxbridge

I tend to agree with you.

Having said that, if it's correct that we're signing Matthews and Van Dijk, then I'd say we're in decent shape, needing only a few midfielders to come in. Plus a backup striker in an ideal world.

The changes from last season's first-team squad would be:

GK: In - Fabianski
Out - Vorm

Defence: In - Kingsley, Matthews, Van Dijk
Out - Chico, Davies

Midfield: In - Gylfi, Ki
Out - Pozuelo, Canas, JDG, Pablo

Wingers: In - Montero
Out - Lamah

Forwards: In - Gomis, Emnes
Out - Michu, Lita, N'Gog

I've included Emnes and Michu as strikers for simplicity.

The only area we would look weaker in that scenario is midfield, where we absolutely need 1 or 2 signings. Otherwise the arrivals and departures look fairly balanced to me.

The concerns for me are the sheer number of changes and the knock-on effect that we're replacing departed players rather than signing eventual replacements for players who are getting on (Britton, Rangel).
[Post edited 6 Aug 2014 14:26]

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:29 - Aug 6 with 4452 viewsUxbridge

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:22 - Aug 6 by JackSomething

Having said that, if it's correct that we're signing Matthews and Van Dijk, then I'd say we're in decent shape, needing only a few midfielders to come in. Plus a backup striker in an ideal world.

Out - Vorm

Out - Chico, Davies

Out - Lamah

Out - Michu, Lita, N'Gog

The only area we would look weaker in that scenario is midfield, where we absolutely need 1 or 2 signings. Otherwise the arrivals and departures look fairly balanced to me.

The concerns for me are the sheer number of changes and the knock-on effect that we're replacing departed players rather than signing eventual replacements for players who are getting on (Britton, Rangel).

I think there's general agreement that if we get a few more defensive options we're looking OK. Whether the Celtic duo fit that criteria is open to question (I wouldn't personally) but it's Garry's call of course.

The thing that puzzles me is how casually some are dismissing the squad of the last two seasons. A squad that quite probably is the best I've ever seen in a white shirt. I don't get it.

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:31 - Aug 6 with 4440 viewsWarwickHunt

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:22 - Aug 6 by JackSomething

Out - Vorm

Out - Chico, Davies

Out - Lamah

Out - Michu, Lita, N'Gog

"then I'd say we're in decent shape, needing only a few midfielders to come in."

Aye, only a few like. No hurry, mun.
The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:35 - Aug 6 with 4422 viewsLeonisGod

That's not really the case, as has been discussed a lot on here already.

Vorm - replaced in like-for-like
Chico - still here. Amat showed he could do a job when Chico was out last year. IF Chico leaves, I would imagine we would look to strengthen
Davies - a loss at his best, but he faded last season. You haven't seen the best of Tayls, but he was very good before his injury.
Guzman - yes it would be nice to see him back, but we've got Ki back who is a good player despite what people say on here.
Pablo - Montero looks decent. Pablo blew so hot and cold that he probably won't be missed too much
Michu - Gylfi's is a top quality replacement (and i'd expect a better season from him than Michu's last year).

Plus we've added Gomis, who only a couple of years ago was one of the top strikers in the French league.

There are a few changes, but it's only the lack of Vorm who's going to potentially be an issue along the back 5. The rest have been together for a while. Leon still sits in front of the defence. Ki's used to us. Shelvey is used to us. Gylfi is used to us (although not as much, but we've already seen his quality in the friendlies). Routledge and Dyer are still here. Bony is still here.

I bet we could field close to a full team with the exception of Fab and Montero who have played together for at least half a season.
The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:37 - Aug 6 with 4411 viewsUxbridge

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:35 - Aug 6 by LeonisGod

That's not really the case, as has been discussed a lot on here already.

Vorm - replaced in like-for-like
Chico - still here. Amat showed he could do a job when Chico was out last year. IF Chico leaves, I would imagine we would look to strengthen
Davies - a loss at his best, but he faded last season. You haven't seen the best of Tayls, but he was very good before his injury.
Guzman - yes it would be nice to see him back, but we've got Ki back who is a good player despite what people say on here.
Pablo - Montero looks decent. Pablo blew so hot and cold that he probably won't be missed too much
Michu - Gylfi's is a top quality replacement (and i'd expect a better season from him than Michu's last year).

Plus we've added Gomis, who only a couple of years ago was one of the top strikers in the French league.

There are a few changes, but it's only the lack of Vorm who's going to potentially be an issue along the back 5. The rest have been together for a while. Leon still sits in front of the defence. Ki's used to us. Shelvey is used to us. Gylfi is used to us (although not as much, but we've already seen his quality in the friendlies). Routledge and Dyer are still here. Bony is still here.

I bet we could field close to a full team with the exception of Fab and Montero who have played together for at least half a season.

Aye, it's all looking rosy ... so long as we don't get any injuries ...

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:38 - Aug 6 with 4403 viewsStarsky

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:37 - Aug 6 by Uxbridge

Aye, it's all looking rosy ... so long as we don't get any injuries ...

Anymore injuries, you mean?

It's just the internet, init.

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:44 - Aug 6 with 4373 viewsJackSomething

The backbone of players have left - Will Swansea struggle? on 14:31 - Aug 6 by WarwickHunt

"then I'd say we're in decent shape, needing only a few midfielders to come in."

Aye, only a few like. No hurry, mun.

I know, I know. Next thing you'll be mentioning Monk's silly statement about wanting all transfer business done before the World Cup.

I'm not arguing that this is far more upheaval than we would have wanted or that the midfield signings needed are showing no signs of arriving.

I'm presuming we're working on deals and maybe players have to be moved on before we can sign the players we want, possibly because of wages? I thought it was interesting that Montero was only confirmed the day Pozuelo left, even though he'd seemingly been having the world's longest medical.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024