Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? 17:35 - Dec 10 with 18659 views_

Should Trust Board Directors have personal financial gain from the club?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

[Post edited 10 Dec 2014 19:07]

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 20:42 - Dec 10 with 1787 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 20:11 - Dec 10 by exiledclaseboy

And of course as others have said, any such arrangements could also benefit the club, with SCFC getting the services from the Trust director/board member's company cheaper than they would elsewhere

So I take it you voted "yes" then?

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 20:46 - Dec 10 with 1769 viewsexiledclaseboy

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 20:42 - Dec 10 by _

So I take it you voted "yes" then?

No I said in my first post on here that the answer is no. I'm just trying to point out that it's not black and white. But as a point of principle, I agree with you.

Poll: Tory leader

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 20:47 - Dec 10 with 1760 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 20:24 - Dec 10 by NeathJack

I disagree.

If the club are getting a better deal than would have been possible elsewhere and said deal has no affect on the directors opinions and decision making in regards to representing the fans then there is no problem.

You appear to be insinuating that there is a conflict of interests for which I assume you have evidence?

No evidence whatsoever but I feel strongly that this shouldn't be the case. Like I said, it was Leigh Dineen 8 years ago in the same position - look where he is now. I have got evidence of that fact.

What is so wrong with having a Supporters Director with no financial interest in the club?

Said person can still be offering his services at whatever it is cheaper than the nearest offer, just not as a SD.

The SD can then just be responsible for the Trusts involvement on the board.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 20:49 - Dec 10 with 1752 viewsmonmouth

Personally I think that the Trust and the club must be clearly differentiated and that trust officials must be 'whiter than white' in substance (which I'm sure they are) and in form (which means no paid work that could ever be used to apply pressure in any future circumstance). That is just good governance in my view. The Trust officials are the equivalent of the fans 'auditors' in my mind which means they must all be visibly independent.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2014 20:50]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 20:52 - Dec 10 with 1744 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 20:46 - Dec 10 by exiledclaseboy

No I said in my first post on here that the answer is no. I'm just trying to point out that it's not black and white. But as a point of principle, I agree with you.

We shouldn't need to be having a conversation of this nature because it just simply should never happen.

If you're a Supporters Trust Director - you have no financial interest from SCFC.

Anyone involved on the Trust who has any sort of financial interest in the club should be removed from the Trust.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 21:00 - Dec 10 with 1717 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 20:49 - Dec 10 by monmouth

Personally I think that the Trust and the club must be clearly differentiated and that trust officials must be 'whiter than white' in substance (which I'm sure they are) and in form (which means no paid work that could ever be used to apply pressure in any future circumstance). That is just good governance in my view. The Trust officials are the equivalent of the fans 'auditors' in my mind which means they must all be visibly independent.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2014 20:50]

Absolutely.

I have total admiration for anyone getting involved with the Trust but not if they feel there would be something worthwhile for them personally by doing so.

I am not suggesting for one minute this is the case but the saga of 8 years ago was very questionable and there has been people involved with the Trust who have business interests with the club since.

Good governance is all I am requesting.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 21:01 - Dec 10 with 1714 viewsjack247

No
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 22:00 - Dec 10 with 1657 viewsItchySphincter

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 20:18 - Dec 10 by Darran

I have been told that a director did a job at the new training ground 20% cheaper than anywhere else.

Club director or trust director? Fair enough if trust members can use their contacts/influence to strike the best deals for the club but any remuneration of say a salary for instance is obviously a conflict of interests. I'm not saying that's happened but it's an obvious answer to a simple question.
[Post edited 10 Dec 2014 22:03]

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 22:23 - Dec 10 with 1633 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 20:18 - Dec 10 by Darran

I have been told that a director did a job at the new training ground 20% cheaper than anywhere else.

I'm afraid what you get "told" and what is "fact" are 99' times out of a 100 complete bollox.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 22:32 - Dec 10 with 1616 viewsswancity

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 22:23 - Dec 10 by _

I'm afraid what you get "told" and what is "fact" are 99' times out of a 100 complete bollox.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 22:49 - Dec 10 with 1595 viewsBobJack

It would worry me if a directors business got a job at Liberty because he was 20% cheaper.

Normal scenario would be closed / sealed bid, but if shown a personal interest then surely a conflict of interest- no bid allowed.

Otherwise in reality the directors business would always offer the cheaper quote and win every time.

Hope we are bigger and better than that as a club,

Poll: Most FAVOURITE Swansea City Manager to date

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 23:00 - Dec 10 with 1583 viewsxmastree

I sometimes wonder if there is also a conflict of interest with trust board members owning and running forums on the net. They can use it to manipulate rather a lot. That's another discussion

With ref to the OP if a trust board member or club board member can do or influence a cheaper service or good that benefits scfc then why not. Private businesses run like that. The club is a private business
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 01:24 - Dec 11 with 1535 viewslondonlisa2001

If I may make one slightly different point on this, and at the risk of the usual accusation of being a club apologist (or worse) from T2C, etc.

I understand that there are some nerves when relationships that should be strictly arms' length can sometimes appear a little incestuous and it's completely right that there are provisions in place which ensure that companies (of which the Swans is one) have strict rules about what are effectively transactions with a related party. I'm sure that these rules are strictly adhered to, or at least, I have seen no suggestion that this is not the case.

BUT - there have been quite a few accusations on here over the past couple of weeks around things like club employees being related and so on. I actually think there's something quite unique about our club - maybe not like it was a few years ago, now that we're in the premier league, but still different to other clubs. And that is that we appear to maintain at least to some degree, an atmosphere of being a 'family club'.

It's remarked on time and time again by players, and ex players, and seems to set us apart and be genuinely welcomed by them. Now I'm not saying that means that the club shouldn't employ people who are well qualified and good at their jobs, and I also have said before, and strongly believe, that the club should look outside for world class advice on, for example, commercial activities (which they seem to be doing, with various deals being announced recently to this effect).

But part of being a 'family club' is surely that there are people involved who have been involved for years, or whose families have been involved who are local, and who have a genuine affinity for the club and the city? I don't mean employ someone simply because they happen to enjoy a Joes, but I mean that where someone is suitably qualified, I think it's nice that there are families and so on, all of whom work for the club and have done for donkey's years.

I think that sort of family atmosphere (and not necessarily families, but ex players and so on as well) gives a feeling that simply hiring people randomly from wherever just doesn't give. And for the players that are drawn to that, it will surely help keep them happy and more likely to stay around than they would do if it was all a bit more sterile?

Maybe a bit naive but it's an impression.
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 01:30 - Dec 11 with 1531 viewsBobJack

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 01:24 - Dec 11 by londonlisa2001

If I may make one slightly different point on this, and at the risk of the usual accusation of being a club apologist (or worse) from T2C, etc.

I understand that there are some nerves when relationships that should be strictly arms' length can sometimes appear a little incestuous and it's completely right that there are provisions in place which ensure that companies (of which the Swans is one) have strict rules about what are effectively transactions with a related party. I'm sure that these rules are strictly adhered to, or at least, I have seen no suggestion that this is not the case.

BUT - there have been quite a few accusations on here over the past couple of weeks around things like club employees being related and so on. I actually think there's something quite unique about our club - maybe not like it was a few years ago, now that we're in the premier league, but still different to other clubs. And that is that we appear to maintain at least to some degree, an atmosphere of being a 'family club'.

It's remarked on time and time again by players, and ex players, and seems to set us apart and be genuinely welcomed by them. Now I'm not saying that means that the club shouldn't employ people who are well qualified and good at their jobs, and I also have said before, and strongly believe, that the club should look outside for world class advice on, for example, commercial activities (which they seem to be doing, with various deals being announced recently to this effect).

But part of being a 'family club' is surely that there are people involved who have been involved for years, or whose families have been involved who are local, and who have a genuine affinity for the club and the city? I don't mean employ someone simply because they happen to enjoy a Joes, but I mean that where someone is suitably qualified, I think it's nice that there are families and so on, all of whom work for the club and have done for donkey's years.

I think that sort of family atmosphere (and not necessarily families, but ex players and so on as well) gives a feeling that simply hiring people randomly from wherever just doesn't give. And for the players that are drawn to that, it will surely help keep them happy and more likely to stay around than they would do if it was all a bit more sterile?

Lisa, a few years back, men promoted men because they were men. Shocking.

At the Liberty boys / girls/ women get the jobs/ promoted because they are family.

Are either right ?

Poll: Most FAVOURITE Swansea City Manager to date

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 01:54 - Dec 11 with 1490 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 01:24 - Dec 11 by londonlisa2001

You really are though, Lisa and everyone that disagrees has an agenda.

Like Bob says, it's not right and we aren't a family business like a cornershop. We have a turnover in tens of millions, if not hundreds....

Do you know what though, maybe there is a correlation between such nepotism and our shocking off the field departments?

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 01:57 - Dec 11 with 1489 viewslondonlisa2001

no and that wasn't what I was suggesting, although I know it may seem a little like that (as the feeling I'm trying to explain is quite hard to put my finger on).

I'm not suggesting that people get jobs or opportunities because they are related to others, more that if people are suitably qualified, there is something quite nice about the 'family' atmosphere.

And the reality of life is that from working for the local butcher's to working for Virgin, family are always hired. Alan Sugar's son, Simon runs his businesses, Richard Branson's children both work for Virgin, Donald Trump's kids work for him, and it used to be the case that to get a good job in the mine or the steel works, you probably had family already there.

I'm just pointing out that the Swans have always had that sort of atmosphere. Ex players always associated with the club, people like Curt around, younger Mr Toshack seemingly doing a great job with the kids, KO'L and now Llewellyn with the 21s (again - seem to be doing really well). And it does give a family club feeling. So there are obvious frustrations, but similarly, there are positive sides to it as well.

As I say -I may not be explaining myself very well.

Oh, and btw - men still promote men because they are men -it's a reason why there is a lot of work done on the golf course ;-)
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:05 - Dec 11 with 1485 viewslondonlisa2001

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 01:54 - Dec 11 by _

You really are though, Lisa and everyone that disagrees has an agenda.

Like Bob says, it's not right and we aren't a family business like a cornershop. We have a turnover in tens of millions, if not hundreds....

Do you know what though, maybe there is a correlation between such nepotism and our shocking off the field departments?

I'm not Chris.

There are many things I disagree with, as I've said on many occasions before. Matchday ticket prices for example - I fundamentally disagree with the view that we should charge £45 because we can (in other words, because we sell them all) or that it matters if that costs us a £1m or so and hinders us in relation to other clubs. I really think it's wrong.

I sit in the West, so am not affected, but I disagree with the adverts pointing at people in the East & South - it would p*ss me off no end if I had to put up with 'come and eat at the wherever after the match' for 90 minutes.

And some of the companies I mentioned dwarf us, even at a hundred million turnover. As I said, I'm not even slightly suggesting that we employ people who are not qualified, it's just that if they are, then I think it's quite nice in some ways that's all.

And I'm not sure that all off the field activities are as shocking as you say. I know there are problems in some areas, but there are problems in admin areas in all businesses.

I just felt that some of the vitriol earlier this week against some members of staff was unfair. In the same way as someone shouldn't be employed just because of who they are, they equally shouldn't be stopped from being employed (or thought of as poor) just because they are related to others at the club.

edited to add:

by the way - in the same way as you think I say anyone that disagrees has an agenda (which I don't), you constantly accuse anyone that disagrees with you as being a club apologist, which they are not.

[Post edited 11 Dec 2014 2:08]
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:09 - Dec 11 with 1483 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 01:57 - Dec 11 by londonlisa2001

no and that wasn't what I was suggesting, although I know it may seem a little like that (as the feeling I'm trying to explain is quite hard to put my finger on).

I'm not suggesting that people get jobs or opportunities because they are related to others, more that if people are suitably qualified, there is something quite nice about the 'family' atmosphere.

And the reality of life is that from working for the local butcher's to working for Virgin, family are always hired. Alan Sugar's son, Simon runs his businesses, Richard Branson's children both work for Virgin, Donald Trump's kids work for him, and it used to be the case that to get a good job in the mine or the steel works, you probably had family already there.

I'm just pointing out that the Swans have always had that sort of atmosphere. Ex players always associated with the club, people like Curt around, younger Mr Toshack seemingly doing a great job with the kids, KO'L and now Llewellyn with the 21s (again - seem to be doing really well). And it does give a family club feeling. So there are obvious frustrations, but similarly, there are positive sides to it as well.

As I say -I may not be explaining myself very well.

Oh, and btw - men still promote men because they are men -it's a reason why there is a lot of work done on the golf course ;-)

This isn't someone's business though, is it? If Alan Sugar's business goes to the wall his employees lose their jobs, same would happen with SCFC's employees, but thousands would lose their whole reason to be alive. Thousands who rallied round, chipped in and paid for season ticket after season ticket.

It goes on in family business because nobody's got a say in it, it doesn't go on in a corporate because they've got shareholders and profit to be concerned with

Oh and every or most clubs like to think themselves as a family club, it's one of the most trotted out mutterings you hear in football.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:17 - Dec 11 with 1478 viewslondonlisa2001

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:09 - Dec 11 by _

This isn't someone's business though, is it? If Alan Sugar's business goes to the wall his employees lose their jobs, same would happen with SCFC's employees, but thousands would lose their whole reason to be alive. Thousands who rallied round, chipped in and paid for season ticket after season ticket.

It goes on in family business because nobody's got a say in it, it doesn't go on in a corporate because they've got shareholders and profit to be concerned with

Oh and every or most clubs like to think themselves as a family club, it's one of the most trotted out mutterings you hear in football.

but Chris, at the end of the day the answer to the first bit is yes - this is someone's business. And season ticket holders are, to an extent, the same as customers of Woolworths when that went bust.

Now look, I have supported this club through thick and think since I was about 8, and I don't feel like a 'customer' - I feel like I have a much bigger stake in the club than that, emotionally and in every other way. In fact, I hate the fact that supporters are thought of like that.

But this isn't a corporate with shareholders and profits outside the shareholders that you are talking about in the first place - they are the ones making the decisions, or using their businesses, or similar.

the BIG difference in this case as compared to a 'normal' corporate is the part ownership by the Trust. Other than that, in a lot of ways, hard as it may be to accept for us fans, it's a normal private corporate that behaves in a very similar way to every other privately owned corporate.

And I know it's trotted out, but it does seem that the players feel it to be different here.
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:18 - Dec 11 with 1476 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 23:00 - Dec 10 by xmastree

I sometimes wonder if there is also a conflict of interest with trust board members owning and running forums on the net. They can use it to manipulate rather a lot. That's another discussion

With ref to the OP if a trust board member or club board member can do or influence a cheaper service or good that benefits scfc then why not. Private businesses run like that. The club is a private business

I agree with this too and don't think it's right. You can clearly see how much influence Phil has on here with the general masses. Take his statement earlier about we'll see who the good people of Planet Swans believe he said. No need for it.

I will say in Phil's favour however that I have never noticed any censorship from him on here, nothing I have ever written anyway, but he does have a very powerful voice and when you want to vent your frustration about ticket prices for example and he comes on, with his own personal opinion it has to be said, and states he thinks they are fair, then he has immediately used his position to discredit the complaint.

He hasn't done that on purpose, not at all, but it happens. I don't think he or the Trust board should have a public opinion on gripes the fans are complaining of. They should listen, gather evidence and if it's the general consensus act on it in terms of getting the message through to the club board of directors.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:20 - Dec 11 with 1472 viewslondonlisa2001

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:18 - Dec 11 by _

I agree with this too and don't think it's right. You can clearly see how much influence Phil has on here with the general masses. Take his statement earlier about we'll see who the good people of Planet Swans believe he said. No need for it.

I will say in Phil's favour however that I have never noticed any censorship from him on here, nothing I have ever written anyway, but he does have a very powerful voice and when you want to vent your frustration about ticket prices for example and he comes on, with his own personal opinion it has to be said, and states he thinks they are fair, then he has immediately used his position to discredit the complaint.

He hasn't done that on purpose, not at all, but it happens. I don't think he or the Trust board should have a public opinion on gripes the fans are complaining of. They should listen, gather evidence and if it's the general consensus act on it in terms of getting the message through to the club board of directors.

oh, the irony of this post ;-)
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:23 - Dec 11 with 1471 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:17 - Dec 11 by londonlisa2001

but Chris, at the end of the day the answer to the first bit is yes - this is someone's business. And season ticket holders are, to an extent, the same as customers of Woolworths when that went bust.

Now look, I have supported this club through thick and think since I was about 8, and I don't feel like a 'customer' - I feel like I have a much bigger stake in the club than that, emotionally and in every other way. In fact, I hate the fact that supporters are thought of like that.

But this isn't a corporate with shareholders and profits outside the shareholders that you are talking about in the first place - they are the ones making the decisions, or using their businesses, or similar.

the BIG difference in this case as compared to a 'normal' corporate is the part ownership by the Trust. Other than that, in a lot of ways, hard as it may be to accept for us fans, it's a normal private corporate that behaves in a very similar way to every other privately owned corporate.

And I know it's trotted out, but it does seem that the players feel it to be different here.

Well it would feel like that to you, here, same as every refereeing decision that goes against the Swans feels the same. It doesn't mean you're right unfortunately.

And who's business is this then? Cos I know a small few own 79% of the shares but the other 21% makes it our business too. We are the shareholders, we should have a say, we should be expecting the right people are in the job and we should be expecting a profit, or certainly a healthy return on commercial activity.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2014 2:26]

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:24 - Dec 11 with 1469 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:20 - Dec 11 by londonlisa2001

oh, the irony of this post ;-)

Go on.....

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:29 - Dec 11 with 1464 viewslondonlisa2001

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:23 - Dec 11 by _

Well it would feel like that to you, here, same as every refereeing decision that goes against the Swans feels the same. It doesn't mean you're right unfortunately.

And who's business is this then? Cos I know a small few own 79% of the shares but the other 21% makes it our business too. We are the shareholders, we should have a say, we should be expecting the right people are in the job and we should be expecting a profit, or certainly a healthy return on commercial activity.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2014 2:26]

but the bit that we 'earn' in respect of profits - what do we do with that? Oh yes, we use it to buy shares that have just gone up in price because of that profit !

And every refereeing decision that goes against the Swans isn't wrong - just the ones where the opposition player has punched the ball first ;-)

But on a serious point, yes - we should have a voice, and a strong voice, and we should care about profits and everything else. But you are arguing against a business doing a job for the club at a lower price than they could otherwise get (thus making the club more profit) simply because it's owned by a director.
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:33 - Dec 11 with 1629 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:29 - Dec 11 by londonlisa2001

but the bit that we 'earn' in respect of profits - what do we do with that? Oh yes, we use it to buy shares that have just gone up in price because of that profit !

And every refereeing decision that goes against the Swans isn't wrong - just the ones where the opposition player has punched the ball first ;-)

But on a serious point, yes - we should have a voice, and a strong voice, and we should care about profits and everything else. But you are arguing against a business doing a job for the club at a lower price than they could otherwise get (thus making the club more profit) simply because it's owned by a director.

For a start you don't know that, the last bit. It's been mooted on here but doesn't mean it's the full story and gospel.

And that profit perhaps could go towards stadium expansion and cheaper tickets in the first instance....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024