Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? 17:35 - Dec 10 with 18662 views_

Should Trust Board Directors have personal financial gain from the club?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

[Post edited 10 Dec 2014 19:07]

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:35 - Dec 11 with 1651 viewslondonlisa2001

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:33 - Dec 11 by _

For a start you don't know that, the last bit. It's been mooted on here but doesn't mean it's the full story and gospel.

And that profit perhaps could go towards stadium expansion and cheaper tickets in the first instance....

I'm not talking about the training ground comment - I've seen it a number of times re the programmes.

And I agree that is a very very good use of profits re your second point.
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:39 - Dec 11 with 1645 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:35 - Dec 11 by londonlisa2001

I'm not talking about the training ground comment - I've seen it a number of times re the programmes.

And I agree that is a very very good use of profits re your second point.

You mean the printing business?

And profits to lower season tickets and get more fans in and get more fan engagement is what football should be all about.

Not buying a cash cow so you can award contracts to your businesses, employ your whole family, get stinking rich whilst charging the poor people you once relied on an arm and a leg.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 08:13 - Dec 11 with 1583 viewsDr_Winston

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 22:49 - Dec 10 by BobJack

It would worry me if a directors business got a job at Liberty because he was 20% cheaper.

Normal scenario would be closed / sealed bid, but if shown a personal interest then surely a conflict of interest- no bid allowed.

Otherwise in reality the directors business would always offer the cheaper quote and win every time.

Hope we are bigger and better than that as a club,

Is the only answer.

It's often suggested that the club gets deals cheaper this way, but unless the vendor is doing the job at a loss then they're still personally profiting from their relationship with the club.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 08:13 - Dec 11 with 1583 viewsPhil_S

OK, two penneth worth

On the forum and a conflict of interest - there simply isn't one in my view. if views were censored because they criticised the club then totally

To say that a Trust board member should not have an opinion is just mad (in my view) and exactly what we get criticised for most. does my opinion always agree with the club? Nope, but I still give it but I also give it when it does agree as well. I believe I said on here less than two weeks ago for example that tickets were priced too high which is a wider opinion of many of the TRust board so to claim that we always go with the status quo and are pointless just doesn't add up to me

In terms of business interests, I would completey agree it was wrong if those business interests influenced decisions but they don't. I know that to be a fact. One thing we learned back in 2001 is there are a host of people wanting to help the club and sometimes that is due to people being able to offer services cheaper than anyone else because of that love. We could pay more, we may get more back by paying more (better product for example) but that doesn't mean that what is happening is wrong. Huw knows me well enough that if I felt there was a conflict of interest I would say so, I don't think there is but that is my view.

The problem I see CHris is you like to make things very personal when you give your views and that is probably why people get their back up - there were a few comments yesterday which border closely between opinion and slander/defamation and you just need to be a little careful around that

ALl I can ever say to you is the best forum for getting the views you have across is the fans ones - I have hosted many and only once do I recall asking people to tone it down and that was more from language rather than anything else
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 09:37 - Dec 11 with 1542 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 08:13 - Dec 11 by Phil_S

OK, two penneth worth

On the forum and a conflict of interest - there simply isn't one in my view. if views were censored because they criticised the club then totally

To say that a Trust board member should not have an opinion is just mad (in my view) and exactly what we get criticised for most. does my opinion always agree with the club? Nope, but I still give it but I also give it when it does agree as well. I believe I said on here less than two weeks ago for example that tickets were priced too high which is a wider opinion of many of the TRust board so to claim that we always go with the status quo and are pointless just doesn't add up to me

In terms of business interests, I would completey agree it was wrong if those business interests influenced decisions but they don't. I know that to be a fact. One thing we learned back in 2001 is there are a host of people wanting to help the club and sometimes that is due to people being able to offer services cheaper than anyone else because of that love. We could pay more, we may get more back by paying more (better product for example) but that doesn't mean that what is happening is wrong. Huw knows me well enough that if I felt there was a conflict of interest I would say so, I don't think there is but that is my view.

The problem I see CHris is you like to make things very personal when you give your views and that is probably why people get their back up - there were a few comments yesterday which border closely between opinion and slander/defamation and you just need to be a little careful around that

ALl I can ever say to you is the best forum for getting the views you have across is the fans ones - I have hosted many and only once do I recall asking people to tone it down and that was more from language rather than anything else

Oh I disagree Phil, I'm making an opinion on perhaps a sensitive subject but also an area which I feel strongly isn't healthy for the Trust and how I believe it should operate.

You are talking about millions of pounds potentially here. The Trust's funds have grown to a level never thought expected and we have personal business interests cloudy ing the water when at the very least that's not what we should be talking about.

It's also very handy the Chairman of the Trust gets to have such a strong opinion, albeit you're not one to shout your mouth off, but still. You have a controlling voice and you've just argued against the points made in this very thread when at least two thirds of posters who voted disagree with you.

Think about it Phil... These are not good ethicis I'm afraid.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 09:41 - Dec 11 with 1536 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 08:13 - Dec 11 by Dr_Winston

Is the only answer.

It's often suggested that the club gets deals cheaper this way, but unless the vendor is doing the job at a loss then they're still personally profiting from their relationship with the club.

Of course they are and there's nothing wrong with having a discussion about this especially as it's us, the fans who have followed this same club when there was two or three thousand watching us, when nobody cared, it's us who picked up the pieces and it's us, who out of everyone involved are getting rinsed in terms of being treated just like a customer these days.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 09:49 - Dec 11 with 1527 viewsPhil_S

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 09:37 - Dec 11 by _

Oh I disagree Phil, I'm making an opinion on perhaps a sensitive subject but also an area which I feel strongly isn't healthy for the Trust and how I believe it should operate.

You are talking about millions of pounds potentially here. The Trust's funds have grown to a level never thought expected and we have personal business interests cloudy ing the water when at the very least that's not what we should be talking about.

It's also very handy the Chairman of the Trust gets to have such a strong opinion, albeit you're not one to shout your mouth off, but still. You have a controlling voice and you've just argued against the points made in this very thread when at least two thirds of posters who voted disagree with you.

Think about it Phil... These are not good ethicis I'm afraid.

Why wouldn't I argue against them? Isn't that the point of a debate talking about our individual opinions??

as I said you are making your views based on what you think/know, I am doing exactly the same - being Chairman of the Trust should never amend that - not forcing you or anyone to agree but you don't want to see that so you choose not to. Which of course you are entitled to do
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 10:03 - Dec 11 with 1497 viewsperchrockjack

the defamation ,the abuse, the insult is a constant and it is why he gets people s backs up.
We support the same club incredibly but the way we go forward differs.

We have a body of people who have taken us from the gutter of football yet these now are not fit or capable of taking us forward and making the right decisions.

Opinions are fine but its how to react to a different one and second comings are pitiful.

23% see no wrong apparently in directors benefitted so that s a fair body of people who should be pilloried, abused and have all sorts of bile posted anonymously at them

As long as my club is sound- and it is- I don't give a fook about how much they benefit; those who are annoyed maybe just show signs of jealousy. THIS BAND OF PEOPLE invested in us THOSE ON HERE DIDNT- no matter how big a fan they see themselves.

I ve had some spats with Phil S but by the Lord himself, Im so grateful for him and the Trust and to the Board.

Its a welsh trait to build someone up then when it seems they re too big or successful ,pull him down.

Fin

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 10:10 - Dec 11 with 1490 viewsDarran

So 36 members of our fan base went for the yes options eh.

EGM it is then the people have spoken.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 10:13 - Dec 11 with 1493 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 09:49 - Dec 11 by Phil_S

Why wouldn't I argue against them? Isn't that the point of a debate talking about our individual opinions??

as I said you are making your views based on what you think/know, I am doing exactly the same - being Chairman of the Trust should never amend that - not forcing you or anyone to agree but you don't want to see that so you choose not to. Which of course you are entitled to do

To you and Jim White, who I've just seen his post on another thread.

The whole issue here for me is that for too long, season after season the same complaints from fans crop up over and over again. Regardless of whether we've only got a Supporters Director on the club Board and that person isn't himself sitting on a fortune in terms of shares owned, that person is still representing the third largest stake in the club. That's more than Huw Jenkins and Dineen for example who seem to have more say in matters which very much affect us, the fans.

Open-ness, honesty and transparency are what everyone would ideally need and I appreciated Jim coming forward and defending what he feels he offers the Trust. I know Jim, of course and even though I've not seen him much over the last few years i know how passionate he is about the Swans and the Trust and I mean you no ill whatsoever. I also remember you starting up your business and how much effort you put into that and I hope it's going well. I take back my comment about serving the fans badly,that was a flippant remark to try and get some reaction to what was before the Trust event on Saturday night a much worried over and talked about affair.

Jim, I've no idea if those figures you've posted are correct, I would assume and hope they are but I still stand by the absolute fact that nobody on the Trust should ever have any conflict of interest at club board level. We shouldn't be talking about that even and we as fans and as a Trust representative should expect someone sometimes going into battle conscience free of any personal interests to get the best deal for the fans. Because if I meant anything by the term serving us badly then I don't feel we've had the best deal by a long shot and there has been ample opportunity for the club to have rectified that over the years.

You wouldn't expect Bob Crow when he was alive, for example, to have personal business interests with the RMT. I would imagine there would be a clear constitution that would not be acceptable.

I'm sorry but it should be the same with the Trust and club also.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 10:15 - Dec 11 with 1479 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 10:10 - Dec 11 by Darran

So 36 members of our fan base went for the yes options eh.

EGM it is then the people have spoken.

Two thirds did...

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 10:27 - Dec 11 with 1460 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 10:03 - Dec 11 by perchrockjack

the defamation ,the abuse, the insult is a constant and it is why he gets people s backs up.
We support the same club incredibly but the way we go forward differs.

We have a body of people who have taken us from the gutter of football yet these now are not fit or capable of taking us forward and making the right decisions.

Opinions are fine but its how to react to a different one and second comings are pitiful.

23% see no wrong apparently in directors benefitted so that s a fair body of people who should be pilloried, abused and have all sorts of bile posted anonymously at them

As long as my club is sound- and it is- I don't give a fook about how much they benefit; those who are annoyed maybe just show signs of jealousy. THIS BAND OF PEOPLE invested in us THOSE ON HERE DIDNT- no matter how big a fan they see themselves.

I ve had some spats with Phil S but by the Lord himself, Im so grateful for him and the Trust and to the Board.

Its a welsh trait to build someone up then when it seems they re too big or successful ,pull him down.

Fin

No offence but WTF has this all got to do with you? This is a discussion between Swans fans, not retirement hobbyists.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 10:28 - Dec 11 with 1459 viewsSpratti

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 08:13 - Dec 11 by Phil_S

OK, two penneth worth

SPRATTY SAY HI

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 10:34 - Dec 11 with 1440 viewsSpratti

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 01:24 - Dec 11 by londonlisa2001

If I may make one slightly different point on this, and at the risk of the usual accusation of being a club apologist (or worse) from T2C, etc.

I understand that there are some nerves when relationships that should be strictly arms' length can sometimes appear a little incestuous and it's completely right that there are provisions in place which ensure that companies (of which the Swans is one) have strict rules about what are effectively transactions with a related party. I'm sure that these rules are strictly adhered to, or at least, I have seen no suggestion that this is not the case.

BUT - there have been quite a few accusations on here over the past couple of weeks around things like club employees being related and so on. I actually think there's something quite unique about our club - maybe not like it was a few years ago, now that we're in the premier league, but still different to other clubs. And that is that we appear to maintain at least to some degree, an atmosphere of being a 'family club'.

It's remarked on time and time again by players, and ex players, and seems to set us apart and be genuinely welcomed by them. Now I'm not saying that means that the club shouldn't employ people who are well qualified and good at their jobs, and I also have said before, and strongly believe, that the club should look outside for world class advice on, for example, commercial activities (which they seem to be doing, with various deals being announced recently to this effect).

But part of being a 'family club' is surely that there are people involved who have been involved for years, or whose families have been involved who are local, and who have a genuine affinity for the club and the city? I don't mean employ someone simply because they happen to enjoy a Joes, but I mean that where someone is suitably qualified, I think it's nice that there are families and so on, all of whom work for the club and have done for donkey's years.

I think that sort of family atmosphere (and not necessarily families, but ex players and so on as well) gives a feeling that simply hiring people randomly from wherever just doesn't give. And for the players that are drawn to that, it will surely help keep them happy and more likely to stay around than they would do if it was all a bit more sterile?

Maybe a bit naive but it's an impression.

Certainly if they are the best person for the job recruited under fair and equal conpetition

As far as conflict of interest it is a clearly recognised problem and that is why there are so many rules in place to guard against the problems this intentionally or even unintentionally may cause. Common good practice and common sense.
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 10:44 - Dec 11 with 1414 viewsperchrockjack

Not as funny as "retired hobbyist".

I can see the future when fans will have their credentials checked by chrissy to be allowed in the ground

Incredible stuff but sad beyond reason.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 10:56 - Dec 11 with 1395 viewsicecoldjack

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 02:05 - Dec 11 by londonlisa2001

I'm not Chris.

There are many things I disagree with, as I've said on many occasions before. Matchday ticket prices for example - I fundamentally disagree with the view that we should charge £45 because we can (in other words, because we sell them all) or that it matters if that costs us a £1m or so and hinders us in relation to other clubs. I really think it's wrong.

I sit in the West, so am not affected, but I disagree with the adverts pointing at people in the East & South - it would p*ss me off no end if I had to put up with 'come and eat at the wherever after the match' for 90 minutes.

And some of the companies I mentioned dwarf us, even at a hundred million turnover. As I said, I'm not even slightly suggesting that we employ people who are not qualified, it's just that if they are, then I think it's quite nice in some ways that's all.

And I'm not sure that all off the field activities are as shocking as you say. I know there are problems in some areas, but there are problems in admin areas in all businesses.

I just felt that some of the vitriol earlier this week against some members of staff was unfair. In the same way as someone shouldn't be employed just because of who they are, they equally shouldn't be stopped from being employed (or thought of as poor) just because they are related to others at the club.

edited to add:

by the way - in the same way as you think I say anyone that disagrees has an agenda (which I don't), you constantly accuse anyone that disagrees with you as being a club apologist, which they are not.

[Post edited 11 Dec 2014 2:08]

Bottom line for me is that we as a multi million pound buisness should always employ the best person for the job where ever possible.

We can forgive the club for being behind the curve in off field activities in its first year or two in the prem league but it sums it up for me when in our 4 th year in the richest league in the world we pursue local curry houses to advertise on crowd facing hoardings at a grand a pop which in all honesty is small time thinkimg and probably peoplle thinkimg local and family in the wrong areas!

Nice to have the family feel but not when we are a global buisness with so much more options to persue.

Im un sure about alot of thngs regardng our club but on the other hand i also know that the people there have the club at heart.

Its difficult but i feel we are punching well below our weight in off field matters and i also think eople at the club know this and are worried its getting perhaps too big for them.

I feel for all concerned, there are some really tough decisions ahead thats for sure !
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 11:03 - Dec 11 with 1389 viewsperchrockjack

and the last post by ice really is THE post and one which says it as is is and should be

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 11:09 - Dec 11 with 1383 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 11:03 - Dec 11 by perchrockjack

and the last post by ice really is THE post and one which says it as is is and should be

Isn't it time for you to pop off to LIDL... Come on now, off you trot

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 11:29 - Dec 11 with 1365 viewsUxbridge

Well, my 2p for what it's worth.

Both viewpoints are very valid IMO, and comes down to perception and substance. If there is any intertwined relationships then some will always have the perception that they used their position to achieve that. Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, that will be the case. And for that reason, ideal utopian view is that there'll never be that scenario.

However, real world is that there might be, and this is where the substance of it comes into play. Was the contract earned due to their position? Is the deal in the best interests of the club? This is what matters ultimately, and as I understand it there is a proper process with proper oversight into such matters, I'm confident that isn't the case. Plus, in one case at least, their business interests are older than their interests in the club.

So yeah, what Clasey said really. I get where T2C is coming from, albeit like a sledgehammer as ever (!), but there does have to be a degree of practicality to it all.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 11:47 - Dec 11 with 1334 viewsLeonisGod

I don't really know how the in and outs of ownership structure to be honest, but doesn't the Trust have shares in the club, in which case wouldn't they be entitled to any dividends paid out? Or is that not what you mean by personal gain?
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 11:50 - Dec 11 with 1331 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 11:29 - Dec 11 by Uxbridge

Well, my 2p for what it's worth.

Both viewpoints are very valid IMO, and comes down to perception and substance. If there is any intertwined relationships then some will always have the perception that they used their position to achieve that. Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, that will be the case. And for that reason, ideal utopian view is that there'll never be that scenario.

However, real world is that there might be, and this is where the substance of it comes into play. Was the contract earned due to their position? Is the deal in the best interests of the club? This is what matters ultimately, and as I understand it there is a proper process with proper oversight into such matters, I'm confident that isn't the case. Plus, in one case at least, their business interests are older than their interests in the club.

So yeah, what Clasey said really. I get where T2C is coming from, albeit like a sledgehammer as ever (!), but there does have to be a degree of practicality to it all.

Sledgehammer? Well that's nice innit... ;-)

We are not in League 2 anymore but some of the comments on here relating to nepotism, cronyism, the gifting of top jobs - Leigh a vending machine guy being Commercial Director, doing jobs on the cheap....

Well fack me, we may as well be...

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 12:02 - Dec 11 with 1306 viewsLe_Swans

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 11:50 - Dec 11 by _

We are not in League 2 anymore but some of the comments on here relating to nepotism, cronyism, the gifting of top jobs - Leigh a vending machine guy being Commercial Director, doing jobs on the cheap....

Why wasn't any of this an issue when we were in league 2? Or are you just trying a new angle to beat the club and trust with?
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 12:03 - Dec 11 with 1301 viewswhiterock

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 11:50 - Dec 11 by _

The corner shop analogy has been labeled at the club for years, long may it continue
Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 12:03 - Dec 11 with 2108 views_

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 11:47 - Dec 11 by LeonisGod

I don't really know how the in and outs of ownership structure to be honest, but doesn't the Trust have shares in the club, in which case wouldn't they be entitled to any dividends paid out? Or is that not what you mean by personal gain?

Haha no, and yes of course the Trust itself receives dividends.

The poll is about trust members or directors having personal business interests with the club so not only are they representing every fan but also deal with the club on a personal business level.

I will say on record that no wrongdoing has ever occurred, at least not to my knowledge and said people in question have outstanding reputations and a long, long history with the club.

I'm just saying ethically the Trust should avoid any sort of conflict of interest to be able to solely concentrate on their Trust duties.

Should THE TRUSTS Board of Directors have personal financial gain from the club? on 12:06 - Dec 11 with 2095 viewsUxbridge

I'm no fan of nepotism old chap. Quite despise it. I'm all about the right people in the right position to do the right jobs. I believe I may have made my comments known about certain individuals in the past on that score

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024