Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One For The Oldies 22:07 - Feb 13 with 18175 viewsbonymine

Remember the old half time scoreboard at the Vetch at the East Bank end ?

A guy on a ladder putting up boards with the scores on and looking in the match programme for the corresponding match ABCDE etc .............

Also, anyone remember the Sheff Wednesday game at the Vetch when Wednesday fans were 'banned' from away games but then hundreds appeared from nowhere in the Double Decker singing all game our stewards were clueless but all harmless fun ............great times !!!!!

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

One For The Oldies on 21:02 - Feb 15 with 4768 viewsmorningstar

Maybe a bit old for some of us, but heres the vetch in 1929. Notice how the large North Bank entrances are not there. It appears people walked up the big bank behind and down onto the terracing the other side!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

One For The Oldies on 23:48 - Feb 15 with 4729 viewsStarsky

One For The Oldies on 21:02 - Feb 15 by morningstar

Maybe a bit old for some of us, but heres the vetch in 1929. Notice how the large North Bank entrances are not there. It appears people walked up the big bank behind and down onto the terracing the other side!

The Centrestand looks like it's falling down even way back then.

Although the double decker looks brand new.

I wonder what years both stands were built?

It's just the internet, init.

One For The Oldies on 01:13 - Feb 16 with 4713 viewsWanderer

Ah the double decker, remember being under there for the Panathanikos game, shiting myself in case it came tumbling down, only rust holding it together i thought.
One For The Oldies on 01:27 - Feb 16 with 4706 viewsBobJack

Thats a cracking photo of the ground and surroundings.

Prison there since 1861.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2015 1:30]

Poll: Most FAVOURITE Swansea City Manager to date

One For The Oldies on 21:57 - Feb 16 with 4650 viewsmorningstar

One For The Oldies on 23:48 - Feb 15 by Starsky

The Centrestand looks like it's falling down even way back then.

Although the double decker looks brand new.

I wonder what years both stands were built?

Centre stand 1913, and the Double decker in 1927.
[Post edited 16 Feb 2015 21:58]

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

One For The Oldies on 22:49 - Feb 16 with 4634 viewsTreforys_Jack

Loved the DD me, used to look over enviously at the NB where all the pwopa geezers were.
One For The Oldies on 00:44 - Apr 26 with 4502 viewsbonymine

We've got the Welsh Kevin Keegan was the chant for Gilo against Keegan in those days..........

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

One For The Oldies on 07:47 - Apr 26 with 4443 viewsepaul

One For The Oldies on 23:49 - Feb 13 by Treforys_Jack

Don't remember the Watney cup? I do remember the Patrick cup, between us and Southampton wasn't it?

I shook hands with Keegan as the teams were coming out of the tunnel that night

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Login to get fewer ads

One For The Oldies on 08:27 - Apr 26 with 4419 viewsoldcob

One For The Oldies on 22:35 - Feb 14 by NeiltheTaylor

And John Terry

Pat Terry, centre forward, how many remember him?
One For The Oldies on 09:32 - Apr 26 with 4388 viewsfishman

One For The Oldies on 22:20 - Feb 13 by bonymine

Remember that banner : Alan Waddle lays on more balls than Fiona Richmond.......................Classic

Yeah ,good times ,my good mate Carl "Moon" Morgan who is a signwriter done the banner,
One For The Oldies on 09:45 - Apr 26 with 4370 viewsSwansNZ

I'm an oldie - where the feck has all that time gone

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

One For The Oldies on 15:36 - Apr 26 with 4311 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I was the lad who put the scores up for about 6 years in the early 70s. Waiting for the press association to telephone the scores in at half time.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

One For The Oldies on 15:55 - Apr 26 with 4290 viewsmax936

One For The Oldies on 00:10 - Feb 14 by marchamjack

do you remember that photo of Fiona Richmond in the players bath with Malcolm Allison when he was Palace manager after the Chelsea cup game, him with a massive cigar (this is not a euphamism...)

she was nice

Here you go

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fiona+richmond+posters&biw=1093&bih=471&site=w
[Post edited 26 Apr 2015 16:05]

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

One For The Oldies on 15:56 - Apr 26 with 4281 viewsswan_si

One For The Oldies on 09:32 - Apr 26 by fishman

Yeah ,good times ,my good mate Carl "Moon" Morgan who is a signwriter done the banner,

if that's the same Carl Morgan from St Thomas, top bloke.

One For The Oldies on 17:19 - Apr 26 with 4223 viewsfishman

One For The Oldies on 15:56 - Apr 26 by swan_si

if that's the same Carl Morgan from St Thomas, top bloke.

The very same,been over Eastside a while now ,but is a Waun Wen boy born and bred
One For The Oldies on 17:48 - Apr 26 with 4199 viewsmarchamjack

One For The Oldies on 15:55 - Apr 26 by max936

Here you go

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fiona+richmond+posters&biw=1093&bih=471&site=w
[Post edited 26 Apr 2015 16:05]

funny what things stick in your mind...

enjoyed the refresher though, cheers

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

One For The Oldies on 19:30 - Apr 26 with 4146 viewssherpajacob

My first ever game was Sheffield Wed in the early 80's, I think it was the promotion season. We lost 3-2. Don't know if that was the game referred to. I was on the west terrace, below the double decker.

Nobody ever explained to me the ABCDE thing, so I didn't have a clue what it all meant.

I can't remember there ever being a scoreboard at the Vetch that told you what the score was in the game you were watching. People arriving late alwAys had to ask what the score was.

Happy days

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

One For The Oldies on 21:21 - Apr 26 with 4097 viewsfishman

One For The Oldies on 19:30 - Apr 26 by sherpajacob

My first ever game was Sheffield Wed in the early 80's, I think it was the promotion season. We lost 3-2. Don't know if that was the game referred to. I was on the west terrace, below the double decker.

Nobody ever explained to me the ABCDE thing, so I didn't have a clue what it all meant.

I can't remember there ever being a scoreboard at the Vetch that told you what the score was in the game you were watching. People arriving late alwAys had to ask what the score was.

Happy days

Reminds me of the time that i got to the Vetch at 3.05 ,been playing at Asleigh road ,it was against Reading ,after drawing 0-0 thought it was a good point gained as Reading were flying high ,only to get home to find we had lost 1-0 ,Trevor Senior having scored in the first 2 mins!!
One For The Oldies on 22:55 - Apr 26 with 4058 viewsSwanseajill

One For The Oldies on 11:37 - Feb 14 by WarwickHunt

Cheeky c*nt.

Stole the show at George Harrison's tribute. Lovely stuff.

I loved that thanks for showing it, at the same time it brings back some memories that sadden me.

And as for being an oldie, my two stand out memories in the DD were when the lights failed when we were playing against Iceland ( Vetch was jam packed)
And sitting in the DD watching us playing Stoke in the mud. The drains had collapsed near the bylines nearest the center stand. The players spent more time slipping and sliding than kicking the ball.
And one more....Ian Callaghan majestically running the game from the midfield. The view of his play from the DD was simply wonderful.
One For The Oldies on 23:06 - Apr 26 with 4047 viewsHighjack

I had no idea who Fiona Richmond is but after Googling her and discovering she was in a film called "Let's get Laid" I think I have a fair idea of her character.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

One For The Oldies on 00:28 - Apr 27 with 4010 viewsScoobyWho

The bloke who ran on the pitch and stuck two big Fck off hands in Dai Davies goal.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

One For The Oldies on 11:02 - Apr 27 with 3963 viewsLord_Bony

I was lucky I suppose,the first game I ever went to at the Vetch was the 5.1 victory over Leeds.

But as a youngster in those days it was very difficult to see the game properly from the terraces,a bit daunting really if you were not at least 6 ft.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

One For The Oldies on 17:14 - Apr 27 with 3905 viewsOldjack

One For The Oldies on 17:19 - Apr 26 by fishman

The very same,been over Eastside a while now ,but is a Waun Wen boy born and bred

the plot thickens, is your name Colin or John by any chance, if memory serves me correct ,didn't Carl fall off the smaller version of the old double roof whilst painting it seriously knackering his back?

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

One For The Oldies on 21:39 - Apr 27 with 3845 viewsfishman

One For The Oldies on 17:14 - Apr 27 by Oldjack

the plot thickens, is your name Colin or John by any chance, if memory serves me correct ,didn't Carl fall off the smaller version of the old double roof whilst painting it seriously knackering his back?

Yes Al ,he and another feller called Damien Ridler ,both fell off the "small" double decker ,they were doing the signwriting ,there was heavy shower ,and the roof ,according to Carl became like a sheet of ice ,they both started sliding ,and over they went ,before the days of elf n safety ,so no ropes or anything ,could have been a real tragedy ,but "luckily" [!] got away with a couple of broken bones ,if it happened now ,he could have made a fortune with the various injury lawyers for you ,
One For The Oldies on 16:10 - Apr 28 with 3776 viewsjazzswan

Who remembers the guy wandering around the North Bank during the second half selling the Evening Post? He would shout "All ee 'arf time scores"
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024