Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dogs and sticks - cautionary tale 22:29 - Feb 25 with 2021 viewsswansRus

I've got a collie cross 18months old - very active, Took her to park today as usual - and as usual she brought me a stick to throw. I'd heard the odd dog walker saying they never threw sticks for their dogs, but never having a problem with any other dog in the past, I though nothing of it. Until today. The stick broke as it hit the ground and as she went to grab it she whined.

I checked her mouth but couldn't see anything stuck there - but she coughed a bit when I took her home and wouldnt drink or eat - not like her at all. Took her to vets - where she needed a general to knock her out for investgation, turned out the stick had made two deep puncture holes in the base of her tongue. Vet showed me picture of gashes - luckily she did not sever any blood vessels. All sorted out and a few quid lighter, I will never throw a stick again. Vet told me of a dog he couldn't save that had had a that went down throat and pierced its aorta. Sticks and dogs - accident waiting to happen.
Dogs and sticks - cautionary tale on 23:48 - Feb 25 with 1972 viewsTreforys_Jack

Wise advice mate, glad alls ok now though.
Dogs and sticks - cautionary tale on 11:52 - Feb 26 with 1858 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

Glad she's OK mate - it's soemthing that you don't really think about until something happens

Always remember a girl in my Primary School who was in floods of tears and inconsolable for days after she was out walking her dog before school with her Dad and a thrown stick stuck in the soft ground and the dog was running so fast the stick pierced through the dog's chest and into her heart killing her instantly...

Left a big impression on me as a kid - I never threw sticks for any of my dogs after that - used a rubber ball, much safer
Dogs and sticks - cautionary tale on 13:17 - Feb 26 with 1814 viewsWarwickHunt

Spot on.

Mate's beautiful young black lab died a painful death as a result of exactly this.
Always use a ball.
Dogs and sticks - cautionary tale on 13:33 - Feb 26 with 1806 viewsdickythorpe

Mind you a ball can cause its own problems as well
I threw a ball for my faithfull Pitbull called Jesus some years ago and the wind took it off course and it went over a cliff, Jesus followed the flight of the ball as well. Just like the dog in the popular Cafe Hag advert.
Dogs and sticks - cautionary tale on 19:14 - Feb 26 with 1749 viewsTreforys_Jack

Dogs and sticks - cautionary tale on 13:33 - Feb 26 by dickythorpe

Mind you a ball can cause its own problems as well
I threw a ball for my faithfull Pitbull called Jesus some years ago and the wind took it off course and it went over a cliff, Jesus followed the flight of the ball as well. Just like the dog in the popular Cafe Hag advert.

Bloody hell, that must have been an awful experience. On another note I chuckled at a Pitbull called Jesus.
Dogs and sticks - cautionary tale on 20:39 - Feb 26 with 1728 viewsjack247

Thanks for warning, never knew that could be an issue. I'll keep it in mind
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024