Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So this 'diamond' formation 20:03 - Mar 21 with 2643 viewsPozuelosSideys

Is it a yay or nay?

Think we have played five games with it, won three, lost 2 and havent been outclassed in either of those.

We have looked solid on the whole but also as though we are unlikely to be prolific using it. It seems we control games better using the system, much like we used to, but at the expense of that flair and wing play.

Are the wingers poorly performing due to the system and coaching? Or is the form of the wingers a response by the coaches to look for alternatives?

This shape didnt really work for Rodgers and he changed it up. Is it something we should continue with or would you rather revert back to type with one of our previous incarnations?

[Post edited 21 Mar 2015 20:04]

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

So this 'diamond' formation on 20:14 - Mar 21 with 2595 viewslibertine

would rather we changed to suit our opponents

I suggested it a while before GM actually used it after the January transfers and was shot down and ridiculed
it seemed toplay to our strengths it worked against Liverpool who are a top side, also then GM brings the wingers on later to add a bit of pace to the width and its worked.

our passing game was good again today fast barca type passes again ilike the look of the squad.

I think we should adapt to the game as we are doing maybe a plan b and c
So this 'diamond' formation on 20:20 - Mar 21 with 2568 viewsJackofdreambeach

As a Swans fan of 40years (+) just like to say respect to Gary Monk and fans and players today.

Well done all.

Possession, control, intelligence ,technique on the field and continued from monday night Liberty performance. Both sets of Fans loud and proud ....quite majestic.

Keep it going to the finish line Swans
So this 'diamond' formation on 20:59 - Mar 21 with 2477 viewsjackforever

The key was all our wingers lost form or hot injured all at the same time. Jeff looks better coming off the bench IMO far more effective but needs to have at least 30 min. This formation makes us a difficult side to beat which IMO is the first priority for any PL side even Chelsea work on this principle. This result over style is just bull shite as first half Monday showed. GM is a rookie a kid in managerial terms and is out thing and out playing far more experienced managers. Yet still there is a lunatic wing who don't rate him. Possibly ukip voters?!
So this 'diamond' formation (n/t) on 21:00 - Mar 21 with 2470 viewslonglostjack

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

So this 'diamond' formation on 21:32 - Mar 21 with 2382 viewslonglostjack

So this 'diamond' formation on 20:14 - Mar 21 by libertine

would rather we changed to suit our opponents

I suggested it a while before GM actually used it after the January transfers and was shot down and ridiculed
it seemed toplay to our strengths it worked against Liverpool who are a top side, also then GM brings the wingers on later to add a bit of pace to the width and its worked.

our passing game was good again today fast barca type passes again ilike the look of the squad.

I think we should adapt to the game as we are doing maybe a plan b and c

This. You have to have the players to provide the options and I think we started that process when we signed Shelvey.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

So this 'diamond' formation on 21:52 - Mar 21 with 2299 viewsmarchamjack

I like it as an alternative to 'the Swansea Way', but I don't enjoy watching it as much from an entertainment point of view.

Great it's now in our locker though and top marks to Garry for introducing it as it's made us stronger as a team overall and it's going to help sustain us in the PL in the long term now we've got it.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

So this 'diamond' formation on 21:54 - Mar 21 with 2292 viewsicecoldjack

One poster called it right earlier(forget which one sorry) on another thread , it works well until it's worked out,normally at half time!

We started the second half against Man utd,Liverpool and Villa on the back foot and dropping deeper, once they worked it out the system seems harder to use, as long as garry gets his subs on the money then it will get resonable success .

No complaints from me overall though , credit to Monk, as long as we can modify and change through the 90 mins then there is no problem keeping it but..

A few draw backs IMO , Siggy doesn't seem to be quite the same in this system, Montero misses out on a start and sometimes we arnt able to exploit space out wide .

The positives are that Shelvey looks great playing this way, Cork looks nothing short of world class and such an intelligent player who drops into any position to cover holes seemlessly, routs does alot of unseen movement off the ball which confuses defenses, if only he could finish !
So this 'diamond' formation on 11:39 - Mar 22 with 1957 viewsJackFish

We look really solid now, whether that's the formation or just the addition of Cork and Naughton. Yesterday was like Burnley, never got the impression that Villa we're going to score, was just a question of if we could. It lets us have all of our best players on the pitch at the same time, would be tempted to give Jeff a start ahead of Routs though.
Login to get fewer ads

So this 'diamond' formation on 12:09 - Mar 22 with 1919 viewsLeonisGod

I mostly agree with that. It's effective, but not very exciting. We're set up to not be beat and it's obvious we haven't worked out how to turn that into an effective attacking threat. It also seems to suit some players (Shelvey, Cork, Routs in a freer role) more than others (esp. Siggy, Ki). The other problem is that it means the player who can terrorise defenders (Montero) is left on the bench. With a lack of width, we'd also be better playing Angel as Naughton looks like a fish out of water being left exposed on the right - at least Angel would be more confident looking after the ball and would cross the half way line.
So this 'diamond' formation on 12:21 - Mar 22 with 1903 viewsLord_Bony

I would imagine tactically it's something to be randomly pulled out of the hat on occasions.
If we use it week after week it won't take opposition long to figure it out and spoil and frustrate.

Does look promising with Siggy up front if they get it right on a good day.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

So this 'diamond' formation on 12:31 - Mar 22 with 1882 viewsLeonisGod

So this 'diamond' formation on 12:21 - Mar 22 by Lord_Bony

I would imagine tactically it's something to be randomly pulled out of the hat on occasions.
If we use it week after week it won't take opposition long to figure it out and spoil and frustrate.

Does look promising with Siggy up front if they get it right on a good day.

I think it kills Siggy - it isolates him and is one of the main flaws (the other being we're so congested when we turn over possession and have few outlets out wide).

edit - unless he's carrying injury again over the last few games. But he's not had a good match since we changed to this system
[Post edited 22 Mar 2015 12:32]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024