Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Council trying to build on Ganges field again. 23:34 - Mar 26 with 5096 viewsswansRus

In 2009 after a 3 year battle, we managed to get plans to uproot an ancient hedge and build on the sports field kicked out. Planners said no - councillors said no.

Before this, in 2004, a full survey was done which concluded that open space was needed in Townhill (we only have around 30 percent of statutory recommendation) and the field should not be built on.

This not a case of Nimby-ism - the field is used for casual football at weekends - and by people from all over the Hill - the area was an open space before I was born and I hope it will remain so after I'm long gone.

it was originally common land - enclosed in the 18th century land grab (the Pentyla road hedge is last intact remnant of this) given to Swansea for recreation in 1920's - and now because the council are short of a couple of quid they want to try and grab a piece of it back and sell it to developers

the 250 year old hedge is on a raised bank 10 - 16 feet above the road - and is old hawthorn with crab apple and beech - so it's not a garden privet - it can't be replaced

the more that object to this the more chance we have of keeping the field in public use - it was used for kids football not long ago, Swans youth played there - West End trained there - who's to say it won't be needed again?

So if you know the place, and have a moment to spare, here's how to lodge an objection go to

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/planningsearch

and enter 2015/0458 in the application search box - you can then click on the 'comment on application' button

thanks
Council trying to build on Ganges field again. on 15:28 - Mar 27 with 4969 viewsNogginthenog

I have great memories of the Ganges ,being bussed up there from Dynevor for football or athletics. I recall the hedge as well. Let's hope it remains.
Council trying to build on Ganges field again. on 16:47 - Mar 27 with 4938 viewssketty_jack

I looked at the planning application and it says the new houses will only use up less than 5% of the playing fields.
Council trying to build on Ganges field again. on 19:10 - Mar 27 with 4889 viewsswansRus

Council trying to build on Ganges field again. on 16:47 - Mar 27 by sketty_jack

I looked at the planning application and it says the new houses will only use up less than 5% of the playing fields.

so that makes it ok? to build on a field given to public, to destroy part of our natural heritage, to have construction vehicles turning on a narrow blind bend on each end of the residential access road, to divert a major water main supplying tycoch cockett and sketty, to rip up 60 mature hawthorns,
to destroy the habitat of birds butterflies bees and small mammals

and once they get in there will it stop? the field has been declared 'surplus to requirements; - this in an area that is already 60per cent under the prescribed amount of open space per head -

all this for 8 houses - excuse my cynicism -

and you think its OK to take 5%?

so lets do it to Singleston - it's 20 times the size of the Ganges

lets infill at Underhill - think of the land value there

but this is Townhill see - so it doesn't matter - we're all plebs up here
Council trying to build on Ganges field again. on 22:20 - Mar 27 with 4817 viewssketty_jack

I was merely stating a fact. You made it sound like they were developing the whole site. Like you say, the council is skint, so we're all feeling the pinch with council tax rises etc. The council are selling off any slither of land they can all over Swansea so it's not just Ganges field.
Council trying to build on Ganges field again. on 23:47 - Mar 27 with 4777 viewswaveydavey

I was under the impression that the land was owned by The Metropolitan University (The old Townhill college) and not the council.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024