Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Champions league is the aim 13:59 - May 9 with 4042 viewsswan_si

Forget about the Europa league, apparently,according to Leigh Dineen, Huw has set his sights on the the Champions league, not by qualifying through the Europa league, but by finishing in the top four of the Premier league, i loves Huw i does.

i know it was tongue in cheek, but we must dare to dream, our history tells us that.

[Post edited 9 May 2015 14:02]
Champions league is the aim on 14:16 - May 9 with 3251 viewsairedale

Seriously though, if we keep progressing season upon season, I wonder how many years it would take to compete with the top 6 or 7 teams?
Champions league is the aim on 14:44 - May 9 with 3189 viewsshandyjack

this will annoy some people, surely getting into europe would destroy us as a club forever, the horror of it

Poll: Expectation for the season

Champions league is the aim on 17:15 - May 9 with 2975 viewsjackal

Champions league is the aim on 14:44 - May 9 by shandyjack

this will annoy some people, surely getting into europe would destroy us as a club forever, the horror of it

No, of course not, but it would add pressure to our chances of staying in the Prem. Until we get more strength in depth we must concentrate on the league only.
Champions league is the aim on 17:16 - May 9 with 2966 viewsshandyjack

Champions league is the aim on 17:15 - May 9 by jackal

No, of course not, but it would add pressure to our chances of staying in the Prem. Until we get more strength in depth we must concentrate on the league only.

we have better strentgh in depth than last time we were in europa and we didn't struggle much that season

Champions league is the aim on 21:21 - May 9 with 2767 viewsjacktar

Champions league is the aim on 17:16 - May 9 by shandyjack

we have better strentgh in depth than last time we were in europa and we didn't struggle much that season

Think again shandy. We were plummeting towards the bottom when Laudrup was bombed out. Seems your memory is not too good when it suits your argument.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Champions league is the aim on 23:17 - May 9 with 2670 viewsjackrabbit

I applaud that ambition and will happily wait for it to happen which will be a matter of years. The Europa League is the European equivalent of the Johnson's Pisspot Trophy and not worth bothering with. Spurs and Soton are trying their best not to qualify - can't blame them.
Champions league is the aim on 23:26 - May 9 with 2654 viewsjack247

Champions league is the aim on 21:21 - May 9 by jacktar

Think again shandy. We were plummeting towards the bottom when Laudrup was bombed out. Seems your memory is not too good when it suits your argument.

That was more to do with losing half the dressing room than playing the extra games though
Champions league is the aim on 05:36 - May 10 with 2546 viewsshandyjack

Champions league is the aim on 21:21 - May 9 by jacktar

we were hardly plummeting were we, we had a very bad game against West Ham, the club remember stated they did not sack ML based off results and league position

Login to get fewer ads

Champions league is the aim on 08:39 - May 10 with 2464 viewsQuakerJack

We just learn from mistakes, like taking the approach that a smaller squad is what's needed. That was absolutely stupid. Nobody leaves in the summer and we strengthen.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Champions league is the aim on 08:44 - May 10 with 2457 viewsMattG

Ignoring the practicalities of us competing over a full season with the current top six, the only issue I can see with Huw's ambition is that it would probably take a couple of seasons of EL football as a minimum before getting into the CL - don't see us leapfrogging our way straight into the top four.

I loved our EL adventure last season and would welcome more European football at the Liberty but it would take something special to survive and hopefully do well in the EL while, at the same time, progressing and improving our position in the PL.

You can still count me in, though - we are nothing without ambition!
Champions league is the aim on 09:04 - May 10 with 2430 viewsjack247

Champions league is the aim on 08:44 - May 10 by MattG

Ignoring the practicalities of us competing over a full season with the current top six, the only issue I can see with Huw's ambition is that it would probably take a couple of seasons of EL football as a minimum before getting into the CL - don't see us leapfrogging our way straight into the top four.

I loved our EL adventure last season and would welcome more European football at the Liberty but it would take something special to survive and hopefully do well in the EL while, at the same time, progressing and improving our position in the PL.

You can still count me in, though - we are nothing without ambition!

Good post. I can't understand this anti-Europa league feeling. We aren't Wigan, we have strong enough squad to compete in Europe without falling into relegation danger.
Champions league is the aim on 09:51 - May 10 with 2372 viewsStarsky

Ok...

I appreciate there are 2 opposite opinions on this subject and both sides of the debate only want what's best for our club as they see it.

Genuine questions here though, derived from the main points raised, listed below:

1: The Swans don't need the distractions of the Europa Cup, we need stay in this league because the Sky money pot is about to get much bigger.

2: Some see the Europa cup as a tinpot cup that doesn't generate much revenue.

My questions are:

1: When would it be a good time for our posters to want Europa football because this huge money pot is in our face every season we survive the Premier a League?

2: if we regard the Europa cup as a non-entity, are you really wanting to say goodbye to European football because, let's be fair, the Champions League qualification is not going to happen in my lifetime is it.

3: would you prefer, (which I would), a straight 2 legged Europa cup knockout competition, which vastly cuts down the overload of group games that amplify the distraction issues that managers and fans continually bring up?

That's the way I see a decent solution. A proper cup competition would encourage better attendances because there's more riding on the knockout games compared to endless mini league games.

Discuss...

It's just the internet, init.

Champions league is the aim on 10:07 - May 10 with 2351 viewsperchrockjack

If you don't have ambition ,if you don't look upwards you ll fall back.

We re moving ever upwards and it might be some cant cope.

No longer insignificant, no more a pariah failing to pay people, no more pissingin the sinks.

Proud days

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Champions league is the aim on 10:26 - May 10 with 2330 viewsshandyjack

Champions league is the aim on 09:51 - May 10 by Starsky

Ok...

I appreciate there are 2 opposite opinions on this subject and both sides of the debate only want what's best for our club as they see it.

Genuine questions here though, derived from the main points raised, listed below:

1: The Swans don't need the distractions of the Europa Cup, we need stay in this league because the Sky money pot is about to get much bigger.

2: Some see the Europa cup as a tinpot cup that doesn't generate much revenue.

My questions are:

1: When would it be a good time for our posters to want Europa football because this huge money pot is in our face every season we survive the Premier a League?

2: if we regard the Europa cup as a non-entity, are you really wanting to say goodbye to European football because, let's be fair, the Champions League qualification is not going to happen in my lifetime is it.

3: would you prefer, (which I would), a straight 2 legged Europa cup knockout competition, which vastly cuts down the overload of group games that amplify the distraction issues that managers and fans continually bring up?

That's the way I see a decent solution. A proper cup competition would encourage better attendances because there's more riding on the knockout games compared to endless mini league games.

Discuss...

'No time like the present if you ask me, strike while the iron is hot'

'Winning the europa league is probably our only realistic chnace of ever having a hope of CL football'

'Would be ideal if it was this format, but group stages gives fans a chance to visit a few different places'

Champions league is the aim on 12:01 - May 10 with 2257 viewsStarsky

Champions league is the aim on 10:26 - May 10 by shandyjack

'No time like the present if you ask me, strike while the iron is hot'

'Winning the europa league is probably our only realistic chnace of ever having a hope of CL football'

'Would be ideal if it was this format, but group stages gives fans a chance to visit a few different places'

On your last point...

That's what pisses everyone off on here, lol.

Champions league is the aim on 12:23 - May 10 with 2223 viewsoldcob

Its not a decision anyone has to make really, is it. We must play our three remaining games to win. It would be a betrayal to the fans not to. If that takes us to the Europa cup, so be it, so we will have to purchase cover or develop a couple of our youngsters. Surely our intentions anyway if we are ambitious. Of course it will be tougher on the players, but the rewards could be there.
Champions league is the aim on 12:26 - May 10 with 2218 viewsshandyjack

Champions league is the aim on 12:23 - May 10 by oldcob

Its not a decision anyone has to make really, is it. We must play our three remaining games to win. It would be a betrayal to the fans not to. If that takes us to the Europa cup, so be it, so we will have to purchase cover or develop a couple of our youngsters. Surely our intentions anyway if we are ambitious. Of course it will be tougher on the players, but the rewards could be there.

agreed it's a nothing conversation really as can't see us qualifying, but i was just surprised how little people thought of our experiences i europe last season and wouldn't want it again

Champions league is the aim on 12:39 - May 10 with 2199 viewsairedale

If there's a justifiable reluctance to commit to Cup or Europa League football to concentrate on the league, especially next season, then we should play the kids and second choice players.

Waddya say?
Champions league is the aim on 12:41 - May 10 with 2190 viewscanhecatchit

Well to the point of never seeing the Swans playing Champions league football in your lifetime, wasn't it just 10 years or so ago you would have been saying that about the Premier League, just saying like :)

Swansea City, my one and only love , oh and then there's the Wife

Champions league is the aim on 12:54 - May 10 with 2167 viewsjack247

Champions league is the aim on 12:26 - May 10 by shandyjack

agreed it's a nothing conversation really as can't see us qualifying, but i was just surprised how little people thought of our experiences i europe last season and wouldn't want it again

I guess most of the people who complained about it didn't go. The couple of days (not just the match) in Valencia were exactly what being a fan is all about. The sort of thing that makes you smug about being there when we were getting stuffed by Hartlepool.

If we were perennial relegation candidates and we were talking about getting there via a cup, I could understand the scepticism. We are talking about an outside chance of getting there via league position, we have enough to cope.
Champions league is the aim on 13:40 - May 10 with 2126 viewstomdickharry

We will have a clue as to the clubs ambition this summer by the quality of signings if we go for Gestede as opposed to Mitrovic consolidation in the PL is our prime aim.
Champions league is the aim on 13:56 - May 10 with 2095 viewsraynor94

Champions league is the aim on 13:40 - May 10 by tomdickharry

We will have a clue as to the clubs ambition this summer by the quality of signings if we go for Gestede as opposed to Mitrovic consolidation in the PL is our prime aim.

I see Mitrovic has become your latest obsession Bafe up front next season and a reasonably priced back up will be fine by me

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Champions league is the aim on 14:08 - May 10 with 2064 viewsStarsky

Champions league is the aim on 12:41 - May 10 by canhecatchit

Well to the point of never seeing the Swans playing Champions league football in your lifetime, wasn't it just 10 years or so ago you would have been saying that about the Premier League, just saying like :)

Thankyou for making my point.

I don't expect to be alive in 10 years time.

Champions league is the aim on 14:50 - May 10 with 2040 viewstomdickharry

Aye from Brett Pitman to Danny Graham to Alexandar Mitrovic the quality improves as we become more successful that's progress.Gomis and cheap No2 striker would be suicide next season which is important we sign good quality.
Champions league is the aim on 14:57 - May 10 with 2029 viewsraynor94

Champions league is the aim on 14:50 - May 10 by tomdickharry

Aye from Brett Pitman to Danny Graham to Alexandar Mitrovic the quality improves as we become more successful that's progress.Gomis and cheap No2 striker would be suicide next season which is important we sign good quality.

When did Pitman play for us? and Mitrovic is looking at bigger clubs than us, Seriously have you seen much of him or are you basing your opinion on this season's stats

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024