Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Montero Enigma 20:41 - Dec 14 with 3999 viewsjackrabbit

Early in the season when we never for a moment envisaged our present predicament, I corrected somebody who called Montero 'world class'. Typical messageboard overstatement. 'No', I said, 'Suarez is world class. Montero is just a very good player'.

Well what has happened to our very good player? I sit in the lower east very near the touchline at the south end so I see Montero close up in the second half. I just don't understand his play. He stands rooted to the touchline just onside with a defender or defenders parked close to him, giving Taylor or whoever very few options for a pass. He inevitably receives the ball and is immediately closed down. The times he does give himself some room by actually moving, he accelerates and usually clips over a delicious cross. But it doesn't happen enough..

A good winger should keep his defender guessing. 'Is he going to stay on the touchline or is he going to dart behind me to run onto a ball slid through inside me?' Montero never tries the latter. I've heard the crowd get on Taylor's back for a poor attempted pass to Montero when really it was Montero's fault for not giving him any options. It is a very frustrating thing to watch week after week and is the reason Montero is not a starter. IMHO he is the most under-achieving player in the squad. Fantastically talented, tremendous acceleration and a glorious left foot but not playing anywhere near where he should be. On his day he has destroyed some of the best fullbacks in the league - ask Arsenal or Chelsea- so he definitely can look 'world class'. Perhaps Curt can sort him out.
The Montero Enigma on 20:43 - Dec 14 with 3021 viewsLeonisGod

In brief, he's a one trick pony. It's a good trick though and he can't show it from the bench.
The Montero Enigma on 20:47 - Dec 14 with 2983 viewsDr_Winston

He's suffered from the same malaise that affected all our wingers in the Monk era. Not helped by the lack of decent support on the left either.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Montero Enigma on 20:50 - Dec 14 with 2961 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Montero Enigma on 20:47 - Dec 14 by Dr_Winston

He's suffered from the same malaise that affected all our wingers in the Monk era. Not helped by the lack of decent support on the left either.

If he was playing for Liverpool or Leicester right now he'd be in his oils mate

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Montero Enigma on 20:53 - Dec 14 with 2912 viewsdeanscfc

I think he has been and can be world class. Monk was just ridiculous to drop him and use him as a bit part player in the way he did. I also think contrary to people saying that Montero let's Taylor down that it is actually the other way around. I think Montero suffers from Taylor's complete lack of attacking instinct.
The Montero Enigma on 20:58 - Dec 14 with 2875 viewsswan65split

hes too predictable, saying that I hope we see a different Montero now Monk has gone, now me, as an experiment, I would do what happened to Curtis, he was an average winger, on his way out, and a switch to the middle and roaming,, worth a try at some stage I reckon, fast tricky, and at em.
The Montero Enigma on 20:58 - Dec 14 with 2864 viewsjack247

He has unbelievable natural pace, trickery and the ability to stop dead and move off in another direction in an instant. Full backs nightmare and exactly the sort of weapon that should make defenders double mark him and create a bit more space centrally.

What he doesn't quite have yet, is the awareness of where teammates and opponents are, which often leads to him being caught out of position, not seeing the easy pass and running into trouble. He also doesn't quite have the speed of thought to match his pace, if he could play simple one touch football the way the likes of Siggy, Routledge, Leon and Rangel do, allied with his pace and dribbling skills, he would be devastating. I'm pretty sure that can be coached into him without neutralising his individual skill
The Montero Enigma on 21:00 - Dec 14 with 2848 viewsKilkennyjack

When he signed i read that many people were surprised it was the white of our Swans and not the white of Real Madrid. Player in the right team.

Beware of the Risen People

The Montero Enigma on 21:01 - Dec 14 with 2825 viewsLeonisGod

The Montero Enigma on 20:53 - Dec 14 by deanscfc

I think he has been and can be world class. Monk was just ridiculous to drop him and use him as a bit part player in the way he did. I also think contrary to people saying that Montero let's Taylor down that it is actually the other way around. I think Montero suffers from Taylor's complete lack of attacking instinct.

Don't think that's the case. If you watch Tayls he goes beyond Monterro often, but Monterro never plays a forward ball to him (or very, very rarely). That's Monterro's weakness. Once Tayls bombs on, Jeff should be more aware of the percentage game and not take risks trying to dribble through everyone. I've lost count of the times he's lost possession in such instances and we get caught on the break down our left. And inevitably Tayls gets the blame!
Login to get fewer ads

The Montero Enigma on 21:16 - Dec 14 with 2756 viewsClinton

He's receiving the ball too deep, by the time he gets the cross in, there are about 6 defenders in the box.
Love to see him running on to through balls and cutting in rather than always hugging the whitewash.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

The Montero Enigma on 21:19 - Dec 14 with 2732 viewsNeathJack

Needs to be making runs for a ball between the lines like Sinclair used to do.

Obviously that needs his team mates feeding the ball through for him though.
The Montero Enigma on 21:26 - Dec 14 with 2684 viewsDr_Winston

The Montero Enigma on 21:19 - Dec 14 by NeathJack

Needs to be making runs for a ball between the lines like Sinclair used to do.

Obviously that needs his team mates feeding the ball through for him though.

Got a lot to do with it. Also what Clinton said.

Hopefully now our movement off the ball will start to come back. Montero in a team that looks to attack could be a brilliant asset.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Montero Enigma on 21:28 - Dec 14 with 2665 viewsjackrabbit

The Montero Enigma on 21:16 - Dec 14 by Clinton

He's receiving the ball too deep, by the time he gets the cross in, there are about 6 defenders in the box.
Love to see him running on to through balls and cutting in rather than always hugging the whitewash.

Exactly what I was saying above.
The Montero Enigma on 21:29 - Dec 14 with 2660 viewsdeanscfc

The Montero Enigma on 21:01 - Dec 14 by LeonisGod

Don't think that's the case. If you watch Tayls he goes beyond Monterro often, but Monterro never plays a forward ball to him (or very, very rarely). That's Monterro's weakness. Once Tayls bombs on, Jeff should be more aware of the percentage game and not take risks trying to dribble through everyone. I've lost count of the times he's lost possession in such instances and we get caught on the break down our left. And inevitably Tayls gets the blame!

yeah because he knows Taylor's crossing is shite.

Montero has looked brilliant for his country and did for us - I don't see why he can't get that back. But sorry I just don't rate Taylor.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2015 21:30]
The Montero Enigma on 21:43 - Dec 14 with 2588 viewsDr_Winston

The Montero Enigma on 21:29 - Dec 14 by deanscfc

Montero has looked brilliant for his country and did for us - I don't see why he can't get that back. But sorry I just don't rate Taylor.

I get on his case a lot, but Taylor is a decent option if all you want in a fullback is defending. Apart from his tendency to turn his back on wingers he's pretty good at it. His biggest problem is that only being able to defend is just not enough for a FB these days.

As a squad player filling in for a first choice he's fine. But we've seen often enough this season that his lack of ability on the front foot inhibits us as an attacking force. Tabanou's total lack of chances is a black mark for Monk.

The Montero Enigma on 22:49 - Dec 14 with 2399 viewsperchrockjack

I d have thought our new coach will sort Montero out and address his weaknesses .

He s raw but I'm sure the right man will transform him.

Might even work on Taylor and what he does or doesn't do going forward.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Montero Enigma on 22:56 - Dec 14 with 2365 viewsjasper_T

The Montero Enigma on 21:00 - Dec 14 by Kilkennyjack

When he signed i read that many people were surprised it was the white of our Swans and not the white of Real Madrid. Player in the right team.

He flopped at Betis and was playing in the Mexican league. Those people, if they exist, were idiots.
The Montero Enigma on 02:58 - Dec 15 with 2207 viewsblackjackwood

The Montero Enigma on 21:43 - Dec 14 by Dr_Winston

I get on his case a lot, but Taylor is a decent option if all you want in a fullback is defending. Apart from his tendency to turn his back on wingers he's pretty good at it. His biggest problem is that only being able to defend is just not enough for a FB these days.

As a squad player filling in for a first choice he's fine. But we've seen often enough this season that his lack of ability on the front foot inhibits us as an attacking force. Tabanou's total lack of chances is a black mark for Monk.

perfectly put.
The Montero Enigma on 09:32 - Dec 15 with 2026 viewsQuakerJack

A decent manager will get so much out of Montero

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

The Montero Enigma on 11:13 - Dec 15 with 1932 viewsDafyddHuw

The Montero Enigma on 21:01 - Dec 14 by LeonisGod

Spot on. Montero has no concept of team play. Taylor often goes down the left with no Montero option available to him because Montero's just stuck there on the touchline with a full back (and often another defender} hovering waiting for the pass. I see this time after time. It's so frustrating.
The Montero Enigma on 11:14 - Dec 15 with 1931 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Montero Enigma on 21:43 - Dec 14 by Dr_Winston

Expect Tabannou to come to the fore if Bielsa gets the job. And expect another right wing back and a ball playing CD and central midfielder to. It might be bye bye Shelvey as I can't see him in a Bielsa team quite frankly

The Montero Enigma on 11:16 - Dec 15 with 1920 viewsjackrabbit

The Montero Enigma on 11:13 - Dec 15 by DafyddHuw

Spot on. Montero has no concept of team play. Taylor often goes down the left with no Montero option available to him because Montero's just stuck there on the touchline with a full back (and often another defender} hovering waiting for the pass. I see this time after time. It's so frustrating.

Exactly what I was saying in my OP.
The Montero Enigma on 11:18 - Dec 15 with 1917 viewsPapaLazarou

The Montero Enigma on 11:14 - Dec 15 by Brynmill_Jack

Expect Tabannou to come to the fore if Bielsa gets the job. And expect another right wing back and a ball playing CD and central midfielder to. It might be bye bye Shelvey as I can't see him in a Bielsa team quite frankly

Selling Shelvey in January and signing a striker with the cash would seem like an obvious choice if we land Bielsa.
The Montero Enigma on 11:25 - Dec 15 with 1901 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Montero Enigma on 11:18 - Dec 15 by PapaLazarou

Selling Shelvey in January and signing a striker with the cash would seem like an obvious choice if we land Bielsa.

As mad as this may sound I don't think the strikers position need be addressed until summertime.

Gomis, Ayew, Gylfi and even Montero WILL score the goals we need in the right formation and with the team going for it. More important is to focus on the midfield and defence to get us that go forward quickly enough which became a snails pace under GM.

With the extra cash in the summer we can look forward hopefully to a centre forward who can play the new manager's style to the utmost devastating effect .

The Montero Enigma on 11:29 - Dec 15 with 1896 viewsjack247

The Montero Enigma on 21:29 - Dec 14 by deanscfc

He is a nightmare to play behind. He plays with his head down. He is like the best kid in the playground beating everybody instead of playing a simple pass.

You almost have to just accept that though as he is a gamechanger in the way the likes of Routs and Barrow aren't. Taylor is a good fit behind him, as you need an extremely defensive fullback to cover a winger like that
The Montero Enigma on 12:41 - Dec 15 with 1815 viewskarnataka

The Montero Enigma on 11:13 - Dec 15 by DafyddHuw

Never was this more evident than in the Villa away game when several times, Taylor brought the ball forward into space and Montero stood on the line watching him instead of making a run for Taylor to play him in and Taylor was shouting and waving his arms at Montero to get moving. After offloading the ball, probably sideways or back to Ash, I saw Taylor shouting an remonstrating at Monk to sort it out as he was getting well peed off.

As the OP says, an enigma, can be devastating but can also be a passenger at times.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024