Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you remember the days 12:28 - Dec 18 with 14119 viewsswancity

When there were just 3000 fans dotted around the Vetch Field?

When Prosser used to wheel up and down the track along the South Stand making funny faces

When away trips to places like Rochdale, Hartlepool, Cambridge and Chesterfield were to be cherished

When you were ankle deep in piss in the North Bank toilets

When you knew at the games you were surrounded by genuine fans of the football club and not people with a passing interest who have jumped onto a bandwagon

Where you could smoke a cigarette if you wanted one

When the pasties were lovely and the tea like hot water

When you could pay cash at a turnstile to go in.

When Robbie James would stride purposefully from the halfway line before unleashing a thunderbolt

When the players were not vastly over paid. Really can any footballer be worth a salary of a cool £1m a month? Or even £1m a year.

Our story has indeed been an incredible one....but there was also something special about supporting our Swans through the bad times as well. The FA cup draw at Oxford brought back some good memories of standing on the terrace behind the goal at Oxford when I think we beat them on pens?

Good old days....

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Do you remember the days on 16:52 - Dec 18 with 1741 viewsjack247

Do you remember the days on 16:41 - Dec 18 by dgt73

" super fan" alert - pmsl

From your perspective, he probably is.
Do you remember the days on 16:54 - Dec 18 with 1735 viewsdgt73

Do you remember the days on 16:52 - Dec 18 by jack247

From your perspective, he probably is.

Is he your drinking mate from the "good old days" ?.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

Do you remember the days on 17:01 - Dec 18 with 1714 viewsjack247

Do you remember the days on 16:54 - Dec 18 by dgt73

Is he your drinking mate from the "good old days" ?.

I have no idea who he is, just a normal fan who supports his team through thick and thin I'd guess.
Do you remember the days on 18:45 - Dec 18 with 1654 viewsowainglyndwr

Do you remember the days on 13:11 - Dec 18 by Highjack

I remember being at a game against Brentford when there were only 1400 fans there. Hundreds of thousands of people around the South Wales area were also there if you ask them.

Was that 1977 ish
Do you remember the days on 18:51 - Dec 18 with 1647 viewsHighjack

Do you remember the days on 18:45 - Dec 18 by owainglyndwr

Was that 1977 ish

I'm pretty sure it was later than that as I would have been -7 in 1977. Think it was around 2001.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Do you remember the days on 18:56 - Dec 18 with 1637 views3swan

Do you remember the days on 16:45 - Dec 18 by vetchonian

I don't believe any of us would want to go back to those days. Following our swift fall back down the leagues after those heady first division days we all longed for the chance to be back where we are now. Like all aspects of life things have moved on but there was a "special" feel on the North bank I remember walking through the tunnels onto the bank,being able to pay on match day and stand with your mates.....now lost at the Liberty if you were not able to sign up for a season ticket the year we moved.
The "good old days" always seem better. I quess the issue is those who were there remember a different team approach to the "premier" league divas of today....even in the old Div 1,plus having been there when things were really bad get frustrated by all the "johnny come latleys " both on here and at the ground who are always quick to criticise and moan when as in recent months things have gone a little pear shaped.
SOme great times too which will always be remembered, beating Chesterfield on a Friday night to secure promotion but no one was sure as Pa was palying up ....needed the Bristol result (I think) to go our way,Spurs in the league cup,and of course Leeds on the opening day in Div 1.
The new generation will have several special memories of the Liberty, play off semi final ,the League cup semi V Chelsea.
Maybe some of us have those fond memories because of links to our Dad's/Grnadad's who first took us there and with whom we stood,just like in the future our kids/grandkids will feel about the Liberty BUT at the end of the day the tv money has changed our game and the matchday experience ......and not all for the better but give me PL football every day BUT I'll never forget my roots

Very well put.

It's not one v the other, football and life has changed. It was more relaxed then as the football was so poor. Now it's more a business where it's all about staying in this league.
First season in the Prem was great home and away as 'Premier League and we're having a laugh'
Things are now more serious. Would I change where we are, no thanks, but as you say I won't forget my roots
Do you remember the days on 19:05 - Dec 18 with 1616 viewsPhil_S

Do you remember the days on 18:51 - Dec 18 by Highjack

I'm pretty sure it was later than that as I would have been -7 in 1977. Think it was around 2001.

You are thinking of the game against Brentford when we had been relegated back to the bottom tier under Hollins. We were woeful all season but put in a performance midweek where we won 6-0 completely out of the blue

It was 2001 and I think the crowd was 2,002 but you are right there are many more that like to say they were there.

And I was...
Do you remember the days on 19:06 - Dec 18 with 1613 viewsmonmouth

Well I think I preferred the matchday experience in 1981 when we had the vetch, top league and exciting football, local lads lighting up the division and you saw them in the pub to chat to and have a laugh with, even after their promotion party. No dribble then about 'the next level' arse either. Just backed your local team.

Didn't have to drive then though, which probably tips the balance.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Do you remember the days on 19:42 - Dec 18 with 1573 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Do you remember the days on 15:37 - Dec 18 by dgt73

You're probably right.
It does make me laugh though - with people trying to portray the 80's & 90's as the "good old days".
No doubt people enjoyed themselves, in terms of a day out, but in football terms in was shite.

It's strange though because some days were great, many others weren't so.

I think my fondest memories at the Vetch were when I started going the season before Harry died, especially the first games of the season when the evenings were warm and long . The smell of pipe tobacco, cigar smoke , bovril and the eye watering smell of the West Bank toilets I can still remember.

Standing behind the goals watching Robbie, Charlo and Curt terrorising teams was just awesome . It was always great fun going down there with my mates when we were old enough too, even when we were terrible! The nineties was a great laugh and Corny's team of the early to mid nineties revived our optimism .

The atmosphere when there were regularly 18-24k in the early years of toshacks reign were unbelievable but I'm with DGT in saying that what we have now is so much better. I don't mind the seats and to be honest the only bugbear I have with the liberty is its near impossibility to travel to and from via public transport on a Sunday or evening game.

I don't think the atmosphere against forest when Pratley scored had been equalled by any at the Vetch and was the best I've experienced at a home game.

The one thing I remember and truly miss is the genuine love and affection for the Swans and the closeness between the club and local people , not only from the regular attendees down the Vetch but the whole city. Everyone looked out for their results and the club belonged to everyone here, regulars or not. The bond between both is something that Cardiffian CCFC fans have told me doesn't exist between their club and city.

It still exists of course but on a different footing now we're in the PL.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Do you remember the days on 19:46 - Dec 18 with 1560 viewsItchySphincter

Brilliant Bryn, now is different, not worse but not better either. The Vetch days were magical.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Do you remember the days on 21:43 - Dec 18 with 1482 viewsDewi1jack

Rose tinted specs.
The Vetch was excellent, cracking atmosphere especially on night games.

Reality,
we were watching (more often than not) some right sh1te football.
With the Vetch quite full, the atmosphere could be electric, always seeming much louder on a night game.
An awful lot of the time, you could sit and watch the game from the NB.
The pasties could have been used at the Abbey to melt slab!!
The tea was the same colour as the NB loos.
We'd never have attracted the players we have and therefore not have gotten the promotions to the top.
For a lot of games in the 2nd season the last time we were top flight, the ground wasn't sold out or even nearly full- think Wimbledon was a very low crowd.

Still some fantastic memories as well as an awful lot of memories full of depression and worry

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Do you remember the days on 21:57 - Dec 18 with 1466 viewsbuilthjack

Environmental health would close the toilets down these days. They really were awful. Bovril was good, as was the pasties. Anyone remember the little Asian guy who stood to the left of the entrance tunnel on the North bank( the entrance tunnel nearest the town). He always stood on the same spot.
The wooden stand was classic, noisy as hell when everyone was in full stamping mode.
The clock. The letters for the halftime scores. The TV gantry above the North bank. Memories eh.
Even the 50 yard queue outside Macari's before the game.
The trollies of merchandise outside the ground, scarves,flags,hats,badges and anything else they could sell.
The fencing in front of the North bank in the naughty days.
So many memories.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Do you remember the days on 22:04 - Dec 18 with 1456 viewsTNT

Being part of the 3,000 was as special then, as it still feels today. You got to know most of that crowd by sight, as you all returned for more of the same every other Saturday and on some Tuesday nights. Our support was amongst the best in Division Four, both home and away. Some people respected you for being a Vetch regular then, whilst most mocked. Games like 'that' Hartlepool game, Stockport, Tranmere, Rotherham etc. feel as good now as they did almost 40 years ago.

Jack Bastards, the lot of you...

... you know who you are.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Do you remember the days on 22:48 - Dec 18 with 1437 viewsowainglyndwr

Do you remember the days on 19:05 - Dec 18 by Phil_S

You are thinking of the game against Brentford when we had been relegated back to the bottom tier under Hollins. We were woeful all season but put in a performance midweek where we won 6-0 completely out of the blue

It was 2001 and I think the crowd was 2,002 but you are right there are many more that like to say they were there.

And I was...

The 77 game I am almost sure we just got over 1000

And that must of been someone from Cardiff shitty doing our gate receipts.
Onwards and upwards

I remember once saying why do we need a new stadium

Do you remember the days on 22:55 - Dec 18 with 1435 viewsNeathJack

The Vetch pasties were bloody lovely fair play.

The original ones that is in the paper bag.
Do you remember the days on 23:21 - Dec 18 with 1409 viewsowainglyndwr

Do you remember the days on 22:55 - Dec 18 by NeathJack

The Vetch pasties were bloody lovely fair play.

The original ones that is in the paper bag.

Lewis"s then then Peter's which the scummers mixef with some kind of sticky paste.
Anyone from Lewis pies on here.
They supplied the Blue/Redturds at Oniom Parc, the found out that they were eating Jack Pies so Lewis"s had to put a Blueturd on the packet.
Do you remember the days on 23:26 - Dec 18 with 1400 viewsEdmundo

Do you remember the days on 12:36 - Dec 18 by Bloodyhills

I remember standing ankle deep in piss and it wasn't pleasant. I do miss the atmosphere though and I can remember the vetch being packed and bouncing with noise and energy. Brilliantly euphoric.

Ankle deep..........lmfao

Nothing like a bit of exaggeration!

There might have been a bit of piss on the floor on times.

The pasties......well yeh either nuclear hot or friggin luke warm😐

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

Do you remember the days on 23:29 - Dec 18 with 1397 viewsjackportis

To some degree many fans still belong in the old days and are truly spoilt at present.

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

Do you remember the days on 23:50 - Dec 18 with 1375 viewsepaul

Started watching in 75 and loving all the sentiments on this thread, there was nothing better than walking through the tunnel up to the NB to see the pitch and think today Im going to watch the greatest team in the world, there was just something about walking onto the NB and to see the pitch and then watch the game and we were utter sh*te.

At the start of every game thought we were the best in the world and theer was no way we could lose the game then reality kicked in lol.

They are all memories that we can treasure and be greatful that we have then, but i love the adventure that were on now and going to games today i still get the "rush" when the boys come on the pitch that we are the greatest side in the world, that'll never change, whatever happens this season and the next we'll always be Swansea City

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Do you remember the days on 00:38 - Dec 19 with 1340 viewsHighjack

Do you remember the days on 21:57 - Dec 18 by builthjack

Environmental health would close the toilets down these days. They really were awful. Bovril was good, as was the pasties. Anyone remember the little Asian guy who stood to the left of the entrance tunnel on the North bank( the entrance tunnel nearest the town). He always stood on the same spot.
The wooden stand was classic, noisy as hell when everyone was in full stamping mode.
The clock. The letters for the halftime scores. The TV gantry above the North bank. Memories eh.
Even the 50 yard queue outside Macari's before the game.
The trollies of merchandise outside the ground, scarves,flags,hats,badges and anything else they could sell.
The fencing in front of the North bank in the naughty days.
So many memories.

That gantry was crazy. Remember Mark Aizlewood used to commentate for radio wales up there and used to have all sorts of sh it thrown at him. Usually he'd arrive early before the gates opened and got up there safely but one week he arrived late for some reason and had to run through a full north bank. Never seen a fat man climb a ladder so fast with hot dogs being hurled at him from all directions.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Do you remember the days (n/t) on 01:10 - Dec 19 with 1321 viewsJack123

Do you remember the days on 23:50 - Dec 18 by epaul

Started watching in 75 and loving all the sentiments on this thread, there was nothing better than walking through the tunnel up to the NB to see the pitch and think today Im going to watch the greatest team in the world, there was just something about walking onto the NB and to see the pitch and then watch the game and we were utter sh*te.

At the start of every game thought we were the best in the world and theer was no way we could lose the game then reality kicked in lol.

They are all memories that we can treasure and be greatful that we have then, but i love the adventure that were on now and going to games today i still get the "rush" when the boys come on the pitch that we are the greatest side in the world, that'll never change, whatever happens this season and the next we'll always be Swansea City

[Post edited 19 Dec 2015 13:51]

libera nos a malo

Do you remember the days on 01:16 - Dec 19 with 1315 viewsDJack

Do you remember the days on 00:38 - Dec 19 by Highjack

That gantry was crazy. Remember Mark Aizlewood used to commentate for radio wales up there and used to have all sorts of sh it thrown at him. Usually he'd arrive early before the gates opened and got up there safely but one week he arrived late for some reason and had to run through a full north bank. Never seen a fat man climb a ladder so fast with hot dogs being hurled at him from all directions.

I only ever went to the bogs once!

I only ever bought a brew. (food was usually bought on the way home and was only bought once before a game, on a weekend when my family and I were visiting Swansea...Argyle Fish bar, lush)

I (we) spent many a game piss wet and miserable.. and watching poor football.

I loved the floodlit games and I'm not sure whether the Liberty experience (floodlit)is better or improved a result of my North Bank nostalgia.

Swancity (the poster) loves the swans but is still a massive bellend of a poster.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Do you remember the days on 08:04 - Dec 19 with 1256 viewsDewi1jack

Do you remember the days on 00:38 - Dec 19 by Highjack

Used to stand my daughter in front of the gantry post, just by the surge barrier when she started coming as 6 year year old, just to try and protect her.
Lost her when we beat I think it was Exeter (promotion or play off can't remember) during one helluva surge, sometime around 2000/1999/ 2001 area
Found her ,thankfully after a few anxious minutes felt like hours nearly down the front!! and fair play, she's still coming to watch us now.
Now my granddaughter is coming down at the grand old age of 3!
Start 'em young!!!

My daughter and son have some cracking memories from the Vetch and also the away games of the time.
Still getting memories today.
Just a pity many who were at the Vetch are no longer around to see us beat the likes of Utd/ Arsenal/ City regularly.
Gone like the Vetch, but never forgotten

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Do you remember the days on 08:29 - Dec 19 with 1239 views1983

Strangest thing I ever seen at the Vetch was circa 1989-1990 against Brentford a youngster about 16 yrs old went up to the police near the big gate that left the North Bank into the away end and convinced the Police he was a Brentford fan.

When the Police let him into the away area with about 30 Brentford fans he just went wind milling into the lot of them! and took a couple of them out

Do you remember the days on 08:36 - Dec 19 with 1230 viewsepaul

Do you remember the days (n/t) on 01:10 - Dec 19 by Jack123

[Post edited 19 Dec 2015 13:51]

Really! Fair play you can remember back then So who can you be, my memory is crap! Jamo would have been there to

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024