Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Strategically will we better off to compete in longer- even if we are relegated? 15:06 - Jan 14 with 651 viewsNookiejack

I don't think we will stay up this season - I think we had opportunities in first half of season when we didn't take advantage of things that went our way - for example sending offs in our favour v Chelsea and Watford and then the sheer number of our defensive mistakes that have cost us too many points. Defensively confidence has gone and we are defensively too fragile to pick up enough points yo stay up.

However financially with Shelvey leaving and potentially Gomis and Montero - we could be in a very financially strong position in Championship with parachute money as well.

We should also be able to attract a large transfer fee for Ayew - as assume no need of a fire sale.

Hopefully could then also get our wage bill back under control. You would also assume players will see a cut in their wages if relegated.

We could go back to the model of identifying hungry players like Jack Cork - who did not quite make it at Southampton and had something to prove - rather than current mercenary players we have who will be off.

We now do have excellent training facilities and an Academy - which should make us more competitive in long run.

Three teams out of 20 are relegated each season and that is a fact. So somebody has to go down. However potentially we will be financially stronger than most teams in Championship - with no debt to service and parachute money.

We will not be in same financial position like other relegated clubs such as Leeds, Portsmouth and clubs where financial benefactors have lost interest Bolton, QPR, Wigan and Cardiff. I think we will be much stronger.

Parachute money will effectively give us three great chances of returning to Premier League.

Yes Board probably has made mistakes this season (3 year Gary Monk contract) and trouble is because we are so small - difficult then to reverse mistakes without going into debt and gambling with long term future. However Board has made far more good decisions than bad ones which fairs well for the future.

If we can't buy good value players in this window - I would rather we go down to Championship in financially a very strong position - with a very good chance of going again. Rather than paying over the top, still going down but then less financially strong to compete in medium term.

Norwich appeared to be in similar position to us (they seem a well run club) who haven't financially exposed themselves) when they got relegated but bounced back and have been competitive this season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024