Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
View from outside 17:36 - Jan 23 with 2964 viewsSirjohnalot

I love this forum, I read it every day but rarely contribute. Brought up in Neath, love the Swans, went down the Vetch as often as a could, but rugby was my game. I don't have an Indepth knowledge of football and I live up North these days, certainly not to the level of the ladies and gents on here, hence why I don't contribute, very often, but here's my take...

Around 10 years ago, we were faced with being relegated out of the league completely. Our attendance was extremely poor, our finances were woeful, we were in a ground that was falling apart and the situation was dire. We managed to stay up and through careful, deliberate, slow and sensible planning, we gradually invested and made our way up through the leagues.

When we won promotion, everyone tipped us to go down, every year we were in the group that were looking at relegation. We defied the odds, impressed the world with our football, won a major trophy and competed in Europe.

We bought a player no one had heard of and sold him for nearly £30 million to Man City, another who fell apart after leaving and virtually other player who left has not performed any near where he did when he was with us.

This year, with respect, we are at a place where everyone has always expected us to be and where, in super hard reality, we, theoretically should have been. We are not in Villa's postion, we are not in the bottom three and out goal difference is better those beneath us.

We are in a difficult position regarding buying players. Forget about players not wanting to come to a club near the bottom in a dog fight, the Board have to avoid buying players on big wages who we may still have to finance if we are relegated. This has to be balanced against the need of getting players in with enough fire power to score goals and keep us up. It's a very fine balancing act. Do you honestly think the Board have been sat on their hands doing nothing, or working feverishly trying to find people without announcing it to the public ?

I used to watch Swansea in the days of Torpey, Roger Freestone, and Super Johnny Cornforth. Watching them when I get the chance to go home and see mum and dad, really is living the dream. We are in the Premiership playing the likes of Man U and Arsenal, how crazy is that ?

Before people bemoan the Board calling for heads to roll, remember, where we came from, what we have achieved and what will be going on behind the scenes that we, none of us are aware of.

I may be talking a load of nonsense, I most certainly do not know what I'm talking about, I'm not even a plastic Swansea fan, (don't get the chance to watch them enough to be that). But I do love the football club, and thought I would give a relatively unbiased view from Cheshire way.

John
View from outside on 17:38 - Jan 23 with 2943 viewsAngelRangelQS

Great post mate. You'd definitely be welcome on this board!
View from outside on 17:44 - Jan 23 with 2875 viewsjackportis

With regards to rugby being your game neath still have a rugby team I think. what is your view on the now Swansea based Ospreys set up?

Jackportis the brand. “A gifted poster”, “planet swans have a real talent on their hands in the name of Jackportis” sky sports 2018. . JP fully supports posters of LBG, mx orientation and ethnic minority groups. Update - now fully supporting the pansexual community.

View from outside on 17:45 - Jan 23 with 2872 viewsEvanski

You should post more often John, best post I've read on here for a long time.

Jacs y Canolbarth - Cangen Aberystwyth / Mid Wales Jacks - Aberystwyth Branch

View from outside on 17:49 - Jan 23 with 2825 viewsperchrockjack

Yeah and ice seen all that.
Where I am is not wanting to go backwards.

The past is killing, best to look forward.

Cheshire is nice on the whole.e

Are you Manc Cheshire, rural Cheshire or chester

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

View from outside on 17:49 - Jan 23 with 2826 viewsdailew

Yes. Great post ans sums up my position as well.

People forget what we're competing against. Teams either with much bigger fanbases or a sugar daddy. It's a very fine and difficult balancing act to do it on a balanced budget.

We're only 3 points behind Chelsea who have had a billion pounds thrown at them

Undoubtedly the board sometimes get it wrong but I'm prepared to cut them some slack instead of immediately jumping on their back. We all make mistakes and it's the overall picture we should look at.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

View from outside on 17:50 - Jan 23 with 2807 viewsJackfath

View from outside on 17:45 - Jan 23 by Evanski

You should post more often John, best post I've read on here for a long time.

You need to unblock OldJack.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

View from outside on 17:59 - Jan 23 with 2749 viewsTreforys_Jack

What would have been a crying shame would have been if we spent all our money and millions more we don't have on players who may or may not turn out to be decent signings. We have invested in the academy and excellent training facilities as well as staying competitive in the toughest league in the world. I still think we will stay up but if we go down hey ho that's life. We've got the best board in the league, yep they make mistakes but I still trust them to make sound decisions for the long term benefit of my football club.
View from outside on 18:00 - Jan 23 with 2739 viewsEvanski

View from outside on 17:50 - Jan 23 by Jackfath

You need to unblock OldJack.

Who's OldJack?

Jacs y Canolbarth - Cangen Aberystwyth / Mid Wales Jacks - Aberystwyth Branch

Login to get fewer ads

View from outside on 18:00 - Jan 23 with 2731 viewsLoyal

View from outside on 17:38 - Jan 23 by AngelRangelQS

Great post mate. You'd definitely be welcome on this board!

Fck off he's a big head. 😂

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

View from outside on 18:01 - Jan 23 with 2729 viewsperchrockjack

Sound decisions eh.

Cracker.

Hey ho

High ho, silver lining

View from outside on 18:01 - Jan 23 with 2724 viewsSirjohnalot

Jackportis

Grew up,in the days of playing Llanelli with fans hanging from the floodlights. The day played NZ and the year we broke two world records will forever live wth me. Travelling the length and breadth of Wales watching Neath was so much fun and a great part of my childhood. Hen I went home last year and watched Neath play Swansea in front of a crowd of around 500 was really sad.

However, I also remember how dire Wales were in the 80s, how we were regularly humiliated in Internationals and how we always played Ireland for the Wooden Sponn. Problem with rose tinted spectacles is the petals tend to fall off.

It bothers me not that the Ospreys are based in Swansea, it's a regional side, and needs must. What they must do though is start playing at places like The Gnoll, Talbot Athletic, Brewery Field, to get support. I'd play the local game first followed by the Ospreys game, for maybe a fiver more. I'd also organise free busses from outlining areas. Or maybe using the Ospreys season for a 50% reduction in the club's enter.

Can't be good for the players playing in front of a half filled stadium, partly shown by the Welsh Footbsll team playing at a full Cardiff City Stadium as opposed to the Mllennum.

Forgot your question, think I answered it
[Post edited 23 Jan 2016 18:03]
View from outside on 18:02 - Jan 23 with 2706 viewsLoyal

View from outside on 18:01 - Jan 23 by Sirjohnalot

Jackportis

Grew up,in the days of playing Llanelli with fans hanging from the floodlights. The day played NZ and the year we broke two world records will forever live wth me. Travelling the length and breadth of Wales watching Neath was so much fun and a great part of my childhood. Hen I went home last year and watched Neath play Swansea in front of a crowd of around 500 was really sad.

However, I also remember how dire Wales were in the 80s, how we were regularly humiliated in Internationals and how we always played Ireland for the Wooden Sponn. Problem with rose tinted spectacles is the petals tend to fall off.

It bothers me not that the Ospreys are based in Swansea, it's a regional side, and needs must. What they must do though is start playing at places like The Gnoll, Talbot Athletic, Brewery Field, to get support. I'd play the local game first followed by the Ospreys game, for maybe a fiver more. I'd also organise free busses from outlining areas. Or maybe using the Ospreys season for a 50% reduction in the club's enter.

Can't be good for the players playing in front of a half filled stadium, partly shown by the Welsh Footbsll team playing at a full Cardiff City Stadium as opposed to the Mllennum.

Forgot your question, think I answered it
[Post edited 23 Jan 2016 18:03]

Put the washing out mate 👍

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

View from outside on 18:03 - Jan 23 with 2695 viewsTreforys_Jack

View from outside on 18:01 - Jan 23 by perchrockjack

Sound decisions eh.

Cracker.

Hey ho

High ho, silver lining

Yep in general.
View from outside on 18:03 - Jan 23 with 2693 viewsperchrockjack

I remember Neath as basically thugs.

I can go back to the Wilson Lauder days.

Neath was always a dark place

View from outside on 18:25 - Jan 23 with 2586 viewsSirjohnalot

Perch, Bramhall way, not too far from the Peaks. Very hilly, great for running. Well out of the City. Got the hills, but miss the sea.

Thugs ? What Hugh Richards, Paul Jackson, Mark Jones, surely not.

May have been slightly self defensive at times I grant you.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2016 18:29]
View from outside on 18:32 - Jan 23 with 2549 viewsperchrockjack

Great stuff.

Mark Jones... Defensive. Lol.

Went to hull fc I believe but didn't shine.

Glyn shaw I liked though.

You done well obviously. Lovely part of world .

View from outside on 18:44 - Jan 23 with 2496 viewsskippyjack

View from outside on 17:49 - Jan 23 by dailew

People forget what we're competing against. Teams either with much bigger fanbases or a sugar daddy. It's a very fine and difficult balancing act to do it on a balanced budget.

Undoubtedly the board sometimes get it wrong but I'm prepared to cut them some slack instead of immediately jumping on their back. We all make mistakes and it's the overall picture we should look at.

"People forget what we're competing against. Teams either with much bigger fanbases or a sugar daddy. It's a very fine and difficult balancing act to do it on a balanced budget"

I hate it when fans point this out..

We have a wage bill in excess of 68 million plus.. we should be competing in this league.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

View from outside on 18:45 - Jan 23 with 2496 viewsHighjack

View from outside on 18:03 - Jan 23 by perchrockjack

Take your sunglasses off then.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

View from outside on 08:14 - Jan 24 with 2247 viewsRevJames

Great post
View from outside on 10:13 - Jan 24 with 2066 viewsdobjack2

View from outside on 18:25 - Jan 23 by Sirjohnalot

Perch, Bramhall way, not too far from the Peaks. Very hilly, great for running. Well out of the City. Got the hills, but miss the sea.

Thugs ? What Hugh Richards, Paul Jackson, Mark Jones, surely not.

May have been slightly self defensive at times I grant you.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2016 18:29]

Without the TVs coverage you have now they were able to impose their "self defence" on other teams. A different era in both the way the game was played and in going to watch the whites home or away if the swans were away and I hadn't fancied the trip
View from outside on 12:11 - Jan 24 with 1949 viewsBloodyhills

Sometimes, standing outside of a situation gives a much clearer view. Good post.

I can't for the life of me remember anyone thinking we would stay in the Prem when we first got promoted including us, the fans. The attitude was, we are going to have a great year and make the most of this experience. Although we were well beaten by Man C in our first game that game also made me think we can compete in the league as they struggled to get the ball off us for most the game.

A few years down the road we are still hear but teetering but now down yet. The recent upturn in form of our rivals seems to have petered out a bit yesterday and I wait with baited breath and much hope for the game to today and for the rest of the season to see if the new manger can get the best out of players. STID

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

View from outside on 12:13 - Jan 24 with 1943 viewsBloodyhills

View from outside on 17:49 - Jan 23 by dailew

"We're only 3 points behind Chelsea who have had a billion pounds thrown at them"

That really puts things in perspective.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

View from outside on 12:27 - Jan 24 with 1899 viewsBloodyhills

View from outside on 18:03 - Jan 23 by perchrockjack

I remember the Allblacks callinng Neath 'bag snatchers' after a game. Can't think why. LoL

View from outside on 12:41 - Jan 24 with 1868 viewsSirjohnalot

Re Bag snatchers I was in the Cow Shed for the South Africa game, 95ish. Andrew Kembury I think it was, ran half the pitch to throw a punch, missed and fell over !

Happy days
View from outside on 12:50 - Jan 24 with 1833 viewslancasterswan

View from outside on 18:44 - Jan 23 by skippyjack

"People forget what we're competing against. Teams either with much bigger fanbases or a sugar daddy. It's a very fine and difficult balancing act to do it on a balanced budget"

I hate it when fans point this out..

We have a wage bill in excess of 68 million plus.. we should be competing in this league.

According to this, the wage bill is in the order of 51 million, a quarter of what the Manchesters, Chelsea and Arsenal shell out. We are very lowly in terms of wages, but we are not bankrolled.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/english-premier-league-wage-bills-club-by-club

The obvious thing is money does not always buy you success, but shrewd selection in the market does. Perfectly evidenced by Chelsea and Leicester's positions in both tables.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024