Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. 20:06 - Feb 9 with 9025 viewsChrisSCFC

Expecting a good few down arrows for this but I don't think Jack Cork is all he's cracked up to be by the majority of our fans.

His apparent designated position is a defensive midfielder yet it's Leon who does the vast majority of breaking up opposition play, Cork runs his bollocks off but he doesn't read the game like Leon does and IMO the game seems to pass him by at times.

I'd also go as far to say that Leon is more effective going forward than JC who's attacking prowess is on a par with Neil Taylor's.

Sadly with the way Ki's playing we look a bit light in terms of midfield options...
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 20:08 - Feb 9 with 6277 viewsPozuelosSideys

Cork has a bit of a habit of finding himself with the ball/around the ball/attracting the ball in advanced/attacking areas more than any of our other defensive players. Not sure how he manages it, but id much rather it was any of the other central midfielders. I prefer Cork when he sits deep, but that aint gonna happen when Leon does that role so well. Should be one or the other on the pitch imo

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 20:08 - Feb 9 with 6272 viewsdickythorpe

I'm not blown away by Cork either.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 20:12 - Feb 9 with 6230 viewsveng9

I have no statistics to back this up but I feel we look a lot more solid and concede less goals from open play if Cork is on the pitch.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 20:19 - Feb 9 with 6188 viewsjasper_T

Cork isn't playing as a defensive midfielder in the current system. He's doing a box to box job down the right of the field i.e. running his bollocks off for the team. Leon does the majority of the defensive work because he's playing the central anchor role.

At the start of the season Cork was top of the league for interceptions (along with Cabaye iirc) so when played in a holding role his game-reading is fine.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 20:40 - Feb 9 with 6091 viewsLeonisGod

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 20:08 - Feb 9 by PozuelosSideys

Cork has a bit of a habit of finding himself with the ball/around the ball/attracting the ball in advanced/attacking areas more than any of our other defensive players. Not sure how he manages it, but id much rather it was any of the other central midfielders. I prefer Cork when he sits deep, but that aint gonna happen when Leon does that role so well. Should be one or the other on the pitch imo

Agreed. Why he keeps popping up on the edge of the box is anyone's guess. The diamond doesn't suit him. JdG would have been great in it
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 20:48 - Feb 9 with 6025 viewsVetchitBack

I don't get Cork. Maybe it's not him it's me. Maybe his intricacies are lost on me. I don't know. Definitely Taylor-like attacking but I m sure I'll get told it's not his game.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:02 - Feb 9 with 5956 viewsDewi1jack

Maybe it's just me but,
I see Corky as being the closest we've found to being Ickle Leon's replacement.
Certainly far closer than Canas was.
Sooner or later Leon is going to hang up his boots. We tick with someone in that position.
Although Leon seems to be getting quicker with age. He's certainly running at defenders more in recent matches.
Maybe we're going to see his first goal since Sheffield (think it was Sheffield Utd, MG scored as well- hate the memory disability, have to write everything fuggin down!!.)
I like Corky, others won't.
Hey ho that's life.
Be boring if everyone was the same and held the same opinions.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:06 - Feb 9 with 5934 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:02 - Feb 9 by Dewi1jack

Maybe it's just me but,
Sooner or later Leon is going to hang up his boots. We tick with someone in that position.
Although Leon seems to be getting quicker with age. He's certainly running at defenders more in recent matches.
Maybe we're going to see his first goal since Sheffield (think it was Sheffield Utd, MG scored as well- hate the memory disability, have to write everything fuggin down!!.)
Hey ho that's life.

I agree.

Nottingham Forest - play off at the Liberty.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Login to get fewer ads

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:07 - Feb 9 with 5927 viewsskippyjack

Cork and recently Ayew or Ki.. have been playing the defensive midfield press on the left and right.. moving up in stages like the rugby.. they all take positions in turns like a cycle when going forward..

Our problem in our current formation, is that our fullbacks are not very good at it.. i thought Taylor had cracked it at Everton.. then played like a c*nt against West Brom.. Same for Rangel against Palace..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:17 - Feb 9 with 5874 viewspencoedjack

Maybe it's just me but,
Hey ho that's life.

Also agree
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:31 - Feb 9 with 5821 viewsshandyjack

Maybe it's just me but,
Hey ho that's life.

i agree, good player, still can't believe how cheap he was, bargain. Monks downfall included leaving Cork out for no reason towards the end of his role

Poll: Expectation for the season

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:39 - Feb 9 with 5786 viewsDewi1jack

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:06 - Feb 9 by Joe_bradshaw

I agree.

Nottingham Forest - play off at the Liberty.

Thank you for that.
Forgot the Florist match goal.
Wasn't it a piledriver?
Think Dobbs got a cracker as well and who can forget Prats to seal the match when Camp Camp was sauntering back to his goal.
Brain lesions wrecking the memory banks.
Comments/ threads by others on here, trigger a lot of good, bad and pretty indifferent memories of watching us home and away.
So many thanks to one and all.

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:40 - Feb 9 with 5785 viewsSS2013

Very solid decent player.

Poll: Will Ayew be a Swansea player come Feb ?

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:50 - Feb 9 with 5746 viewsKilkennyjack

Ok squad player, certainly no Leon for quality and has zero go forward game. Good attitude and does the basics pretty well with the ball. Competitive and proven. Might prove hugely important in the run in.

Beware of the Risen People

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 22:07 - Feb 9 with 5680 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

I like cork

I don't line cork running down the right wing .

It's a f@cking dreadful sight to be totally honest .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 22:13 - Feb 9 with 5648 viewsjruss1

Cork is a fantastic holding midfield player.

He's suffered a bit even when playing that position because he's different in style to Leon. Leon is a fairly unique player skill set wise and with what he does for us,even at this level.

As pointed out, Cork is being asked to play beyond his skill set right now but he's still doing OK. Although I hope to see us either ditch the diamond Saturday or put Ki or Fer in that position so we have a player who is more natural in forward areas.

Cork was a great buy for a bargain price, he will serve us well for years, no doubt about it. The type of player you always need.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 23:22 - Feb 9 with 5459 viewsGriffting

Cork is a good player. Garry Monk knocked his confidence after Stoke when he dropped him for that clanger that lead to the pen and he suffered a bit after that but yeah, certainly in this formation he's being asked to do a job because in that box to box role. While both him and Leon are on the pitch, Leon will always take the deeper centre mid role. Away from home that set up with both Cork and Britts is fine by me but i think at home we should look to play maybe 2 of Ayew/Ki/Fer in Cm in front of Leon for a bit more attacking intent. Maybe even go back to playing wingers.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 00:02 - Feb 10 with 5387 viewsDavillin

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 21:31 - Feb 9 by shandyjack

i agree, good player, still can't believe how cheap he was, bargain. Monks downfall included leaving Cork out for no reason towards the end of his role

A quibble: I don't think that Monk left him out "for no reason."

Note, please, that I do not know the reason, nor the reason for Monk's leaving other good players out.

Nor can I explain why he didn't recognize, or at least do something about, the impact these actions had on the team and the team's success rate.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 00:05 - Feb 10 with 5379 viewsBanosswan

I'm sorry what? I'm obviously in the minority in thinking he is class and we were lucky to get him for the price we paid. He's definitely Leon's successor in the 'hold the team together' role. Too many times this season he's been covering other midfield failings, which then impacts on his role. See the Oxford game for an extreme example.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 04:13 - Feb 10 with 5281 viewsdameedna

Cork Siggy and Leon are less versatile than most midfielders in my opinion
Leon is showing more capacity to go box to box than Cork and continues to be an enigma
Did well against Cabaye and Mom
Cork should play Dm it is the only role he is any good at he can tackle run and head a ball better than all our midfielders except Ayew who is Mr utility and does all
With Cork and Leon sitting deep we need Naughton and bring in a player like van armhole from Sunderland as we are pitiful at wing back
our midfield covers this weakness by grinding back and forth like a liner at harbour
Cork doesn't have a turn of speed but very pleased we signed him as lose Leon and we will struggle unless Fer is good enough which I doubt
[Post edited 10 Feb 2016 4:15]
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 06:06 - Feb 10 with 5221 viewsEasternJack

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 22:07 - Feb 9 by oh_tommy_tommy

I like cork

I don't line cork running down the right wing .

It's a f@cking dreadful sight to be totally honest .

Can't agree with this post enough...

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 06:12 - Feb 10 with 5219 viewsEasternJack

Some per-90 mins data to help the discussion... some interesting areas of comparison

I think the below confirms what we already know - i.e. that Cork gives us what we need in terms of solidity and is expected to play further forward. The latter is arguably not a strong area for him and is part of the puzzle on why we're not creating/scoring enough as a team.

I see Cork as a Leon replacement and/or someone we can use when we need to be more solid. We're missing a more effective attacking option - I'm guessing this is where Fer comes in?

[Post edited 10 Feb 2016 6:15]

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 07:56 - Feb 10 with 5108 viewsZut_Alors

Well put post, although I don't agree with your assessment of Cork.

I haven't seen Leon making the kinds of bursts forward we've seen of late for ages, and I think that has a lot to do with the stability that Cork offers the midfield. Post Monk, the complaints surrounding the team have primarily been with defensive lapses at set pieces and dilly dallying around the box. Stability in midfield, quick flowing passing have all returned and I would be reluctant to see us drop Cork, as that was exactly the type of thing people were complaining about before.

I would go as far as saying a combination of Cork and Leon could work well in a 4-2-3-1 system too. It would take some of the burden of defending from the wingers and perhaps allow for Barrow, Jeff or Routs to push on further.

If we're to stay in the diamond system, there's a big call to make on Saturday with Ki back fit. Personally, I would continue with the 11 who started against CP. I believe Ki needs to work harder, like he did when he returned from his loan spell at Sunderland.
Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 08:40 - Feb 10 with 5048 viewsClinton

I've been thinking for a couple of weeks just how well Cork has been playing recently. Contributed to the improvement on results. I wasn't a big fan of him last season, but he's come on a lot since Christmas. He's turning into a top player.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 08:52 - Feb 10 with 5032 viewsPapaLazarou

Unpopular opinions regarding Swans players. on 07:56 - Feb 10 by Zut_Alors

Well put post, although I don't agree with your assessment of Cork.

I haven't seen Leon making the kinds of bursts forward we've seen of late for ages, and I think that has a lot to do with the stability that Cork offers the midfield. Post Monk, the complaints surrounding the team have primarily been with defensive lapses at set pieces and dilly dallying around the box. Stability in midfield, quick flowing passing have all returned and I would be reluctant to see us drop Cork, as that was exactly the type of thing people were complaining about before.

I would go as far as saying a combination of Cork and Leon could work well in a 4-2-3-1 system too. It would take some of the burden of defending from the wingers and perhaps allow for Barrow, Jeff or Routs to push on further.

If we're to stay in the diamond system, there's a big call to make on Saturday with Ki back fit. Personally, I would continue with the 11 who started against CP. I believe Ki needs to work harder, like he did when he returned from his loan spell at Sunderland.

Definitely this.

We need to start playing Cork & Britton sitting deep, with Sigurdsson in the hole ahead of them, similar to how we played Allen, Britton and Sigurdsson under Rodgers.

Then pick 2 wingers from: Ayew, Routledge, Barrow & Montero.

Cork will never be as effective playing on the right flank.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2016 9:59]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024