Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In a nutshell - this lament says it all 21:06 - Feb 28 with 2769 viewsjackrabbit

"We are a premier league team. A premier league team that couldn't put two passes together second half. Spurs are maybe a very good side, thats why they are second in the league, but to play the way we did second half is inexcusable.
Why are we playing without width? This would have been our best form of defence. It seems to me the players are no longer able to express themselves. I thought i was watching sunday league football at one point. An international captain hoofing the ball down field anywhere. Have we fallen so far behind that we are unable to defend the lead. Nine men parked in the box? What did we have to lose today by not playing with width?
We are Swansea City. We were the team that could pass the ball. We had wide men."

- From SCFC2
In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:28 - Feb 28 with 2645 viewsPozuelosSideys

..and yet despite all that, today was the closest weve come to getting anything at all at WHL since we've been in the PL.

Frustrating yes, but none of us expected anything. Just like nobody should be expecting anything against Arsenal.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:32 - Feb 28 with 2619 viewsAl_Bundy

When we play with width we look vulnerable defensively. We have a squad with players we really should have upgraded on over the past two years but we have gone backwards.

We play narrow to negate the opposition and protect our fullbacks. We have three players in Britton , Ki and Cork which doesn't really work in my view in the same side and we don't have enough goals in us at the top end.

We may scramble over the safety line this season and if we don't get wins over the teams around us then we are down. Today looked dire especially the second half when the match was used as shooting practice for Spurs and we should have lost by 5 in all truth.
In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:44 - Feb 28 with 2557 viewsDr_Winston

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:32 - Feb 28 by Al_Bundy

When we play with width we look vulnerable defensively. We have a squad with players we really should have upgraded on over the past two years but we have gone backwards.

We play narrow to negate the opposition and protect our fullbacks. We have three players in Britton , Ki and Cork which doesn't really work in my view in the same side and we don't have enough goals in us at the top end.

We may scramble over the safety line this season and if we don't get wins over the teams around us then we are down. Today looked dire especially the second half when the match was used as shooting practice for Spurs and we should have lost by 5 in all truth.

Do we really?

The "we play narrow to protect the defence" argument gets trotted out a lot but we seem to end up conceding plenty of set piece goals anyway. I don't see that we have anything to lose by reverting to the style of play that served us so well for years before GM had the bright idea of changing it all.

If we're going to go down we might as well make a fight of it instead of meekly surrendering games because we want to protect Neil Taylor.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:54 - Feb 28 with 2489 viewsAl_Bundy

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:44 - Feb 28 by Dr_Winston

Do we really?

The "we play narrow to protect the defence" argument gets trotted out a lot but we seem to end up conceding plenty of set piece goals anyway. I don't see that we have anything to lose by reverting to the style of play that served us so well for years before GM had the bright idea of changing it all.

If we're going to go down we might as well make a fight of it instead of meekly surrendering games because we want to protect Neil Taylor.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Narrow defending in open play to offset the lack of pace in our side defensively.

Set pieces has no effect on our formation as we just zonal mark which we are not very good at.

We are setting ourselves up to not get beat as opposed to actually trying to win a game.
In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 22:01 - Feb 28 with 2463 viewsDr_Winston

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:54 - Feb 28 by Al_Bundy

Narrow defending in open play to offset the lack of pace in our side defensively.

Set pieces has no effect on our formation as we just zonal mark which we are not very good at.

We are setting ourselves up to not get beat as opposed to actually trying to win a game.

Agree completely with your third sentence.

I think we're stuck between a rock and a hard place at the minute. Based on his past history Guidolin likes his teams to be more aggressive than we are, but it doesn't look like like he wants to risk tearing anything up at this late stage. Instead he's trying to muddle through with an improved version of the mess Monk left us with.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 22:28 - Feb 28 with 2329 viewsAl_Bundy

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 22:01 - Feb 28 by Dr_Winston

I think we're stuck between a rock and a hard place at the minute. Based on his past history Guidolin likes his teams to be more aggressive than we are, but it doesn't look like like he wants to risk tearing anything up at this late stage. Instead he's trying to muddle through with an improved version of the mess Monk left us with.

Think the gaffer knows the limitations of this squad fortunately or unfortunately ....
In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 23:24 - Feb 28 with 2188 viewsJJJack

Which is exactly what he is doing and needs to do. As long as we improve slightly on what was happening under Monk then we stay up and try and sort things in the summer. Any idea that he was ever gonna come in and wave a magic wand and all would be fine was far-fetched in the extreme.
In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 00:00 - Feb 29 with 2113 viewsA_Fans_Dad

No he continued with what Curt instigated after GM left us looking lost on the field.
Login to get fewer ads

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 06:03 - Feb 29 with 1991 viewsjack247

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 23:24 - Feb 28 by JJJack

Which is exactly what he is doing and needs to do. As long as we improve slightly on what was happening under Monk then we stay up and try and sort things in the summer. Any idea that he was ever gonna come in and wave a magic wand and all would be fine was far-fetched in the extreme.

Exactly. It was all he was ever supposed to do. Our squad simply isn't good enough to go toe to toe with teams like Spurs, even average teams, so we try to eek out results. It used to be, but due to Garry coaching the flair out of us and some spectacular ineptitude in the transfer market, we are up against better players nearly every week.

I know the way we play is boring, but it's about survival, not entertainment at this point.

However much Spurs dominated us, and they did, we were still in the game at the end, it took a great save from Paloschi's volley to stop it going 2-2. We did he same thing at Goodison and got away with it. Do people honestly believe the scoreline would even have been close in those two games if we had played with 2 wingers?
In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 06:46 - Feb 29 with 1955 viewsKilkennyjack

I think he has an option at home though and our traditional pre Monk 4-2-3-1 is the most likely way to get the wins we need. Also the best way of defending at this level is to keep the ball so the other team dont have it to use. And hope.

Beware of the Risen People

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 14:45 - Feb 29 with 1605 viewsSmellyplumz

Which is simply not good enough

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 16:30 - Feb 29 with 1517 viewssP7qupUf

If we have to play as we did on Sunday away from home in order not to get beaten by the top sides, or go for damage limitation, so be it. We need to survive this year end of. All this talk of width and attack is wishful thinking with the squad we have. Our wide men are not good enough and playing them yesterday would have left us really exposed. Could you imagine what Montero would have done defensively or contributed going forward? He had a good first few games, since then awful.
In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 19:26 - Feb 29 with 1400 viewsStarsky

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 06:03 - Feb 29 by jack247

Exactly. It was all he was ever supposed to do. Our squad simply isn't good enough to go toe to toe with teams like Spurs, even average teams, so we try to eek out results. It used to be, but due to Garry coaching the flair out of us and some spectacular ineptitude in the transfer market, we are up against better players nearly every week.

I know the way we play is boring, but it's about survival, not entertainment at this point.

However much Spurs dominated us, and they did, we were still in the game at the end, it took a great save from Paloschi's volley to stop it going 2-2. We did he same thing at Goodison and got away with it. Do people honestly believe the scoreline would even have been close in those two games if we had played with 2 wingers?

I preferred how we set up against Man City

It's just the internet, init.

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:28 - Feb 29 with 1288 viewsblaenaugwentjack

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:32 - Feb 28 by Al_Bundy

Spot on, we have not recruited well over the past few seasons and we are paying the price.
In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:51 - Feb 29 with 1238 viewsLeonisGod

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:28 - Feb 28 by PozuelosSideys

..and yet despite all that, today was the closest weve come to getting anything at all at WHL since we've been in the PL.

Frustrating yes, but none of us expected anything. Just like nobody should be expecting anything against Arsenal.

That's about the most sensible thing I'vebread on here for a while. This nashing of teeth over losing to a Spurs side who are flying is just idiotic.
In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:57 - Feb 29 with 1228 viewsmonmouth

In a nutshell - this lament says it all on 21:51 - Feb 29 by LeonisGod

That's about the most sensible thing I'vebread on here for a while. This nashing of teeth over losing to a Spurs side who are flying is just idiotic.

Except it's not true. We came closer to getting a point when we lost 3-2 last season there and Fernandez missed an open goal in injury time. Totto only had 2 more shots on target than us that day too, rather than 10. So lets put that little myth to bed shall we.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024