Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
British Airways Avios 19:51 - Mar 10 with 2091 viewsCooperman

(Or other frequent flyer scheme miles)

Has anyone done anything nice recently with these?
The BA scheme is slowly contracting in the way it awards points. However the spending experiences still look pretty good. I've not spent any in the last year so are the options as good as they once were and without restrictions in the small print?

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

British Airways Avios on 20:00 - Mar 10 with 2083 viewsDarran

Did you see that couple in the States that had a private jet to themselves from Boston to Washington state with vouchers they'd collected?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

British Airways Avios on 20:01 - Mar 10 with 2077 viewsDarran

Here it is.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3478874/Gilbert-Ott-Laura-

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

British Airways Avios on 20:16 - Mar 10 with 2051 viewsCooperman

British Airways Avios on 20:01 - Mar 10 by Darran

Here it is.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3478874/Gilbert-Ott-Laura-

Yes, I had read that. He runs an interesting blog 'God Save The Points' which is a side dig at some of the new BA rulings.

Some of his material can be of benefit to travellers.

British Airways Avios on 22:10 - Mar 10 with 1996 viewsSwanzay

These frequent flyer schemes are really shite offerings to what they used to, BA especially.
Ive done NZ and Canada amongst others in recent years with BA and still not equated enough points to travel even as far as Paris. Previously 5/6 years ago that would have got you one free return flight, now since they introduced Avios in 2012 nothing.
Its like a Tesco club card, so cant really be assed anymore, as I don't fly frequently enough.
I do have a friend who's work was based in Aus, he would travel there and back every three months for over 3 years with Emirates and got Gold status, but even that didn't get him a regular upgrade, only when the flight was considerably empty would the bump him up to business class, apart from that he just got access to the business class lounge, but only because he got friendly with the Emirates staff he recons!
British Airways Avios on 07:22 - Mar 11 with 1922 viewssquarebear

Been collecting BA miles since 1997. Had a couple of club class flights using the companion vouchers (New York, Miami) which were great but it seems the mileage thresholds have risen because it took years to accumulate enough for our last flight (Las Vegas first class two years ago). The taxes were £1200 per ticket, mind, so hardly a free trip but for a one-off bucket list experience we don't regret it.

I looked at the BA site to see what 85000 miles would buy me but it's not clear. It only showed me one way costs but didn't make clear if a return would cost double. I collect out of habit but get increasingly frustrated with their value and non-ease of use.

Mind you (I'm a sucker for a loyalty card and I've got the enlarged wallet to prove it) I get frustrated by all off them. It's all smoke and mirrors. I've used hotel points for my last two stays in Amsterdam (ten stays = one free night seems a simple enough concept to understand?). But the free night has such a low purchase value (and excludes certain hotels) that I always have to top up with cash.

Moan moan.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2016 14:57]
British Airways Avios on 07:34 - Mar 11 with 1913 viewsPacemaker

I have used quite a few other schemes including Emirates and Singapore, not had much out of them. My neighbour rants about Avios it doesn't seem that good to me.

My brother lives in the states and travels all over the world constantly he uses United airlines and most of the big hotel chains and manages to get enough points for his wife go to fly Houston to UK and stay in hotels a couple of times a year.

He generally flies business or premium economy so that probably helps.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

British Airways Avios on 11:58 - Mar 11 with 1849 viewsmarchamjack

Gutted when the old Air Miles scheme stopped, specially after it had got linked to Tescos clubcard too

Went to New York and all over Europe for 'free' with those Miles. Banked on one European trip a year for myself and Mrs MJ for 10 years or so.

In fact, I only started it when I bought a video recorder (back in the day) and they gave me 3,500 Air Miles with it (remember it well). Went on the Air Miles website and checked out where 3,500 miles would get me...worked out at 7 flights to Paris on BA!! Couldn't believe my luck, video only cost about £300. Went from there and did loads of trips as I say.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

British Airways Avios on 10:52 - Apr 14 with 1700 viewsCooperman

British Airways Avios on 22:10 - Mar 10 by Swanzay

These frequent flyer schemes are really shite offerings to what they used to, BA especially.
Ive done NZ and Canada amongst others in recent years with BA and still not equated enough points to travel even as far as Paris. Previously 5/6 years ago that would have got you one free return flight, now since they introduced Avios in 2012 nothing.
Its like a Tesco club card, so cant really be assed anymore, as I don't fly frequently enough.
I do have a friend who's work was based in Aus, he would travel there and back every three months for over 3 years with Emirates and got Gold status, but even that didn't get him a regular upgrade, only when the flight was considerably empty would the bump him up to business class, apart from that he just got access to the business class lounge, but only because he got friendly with the Emirates staff he recons!

2 x first class return flights to San Franciso and 4 nights in 4* downtown hotel for 475,000 Avios + £990; next April.

Cracking deal!

Login to get fewer ads

British Airways Avios on 18:59 - Apr 14 with 1632 viewsBigPhilG

I was gutted when it went from air miles to avios. Half the time the points don't go on and I have to ring the bank
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024