Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ayew vs Chelsea 06:52 - Apr 10 with 4226 viewsEasternJack

I've not seen a thread on this, but thought I'd post.

Was seriously unimpressed with Ayew yesterday and was shouting at the TV for 10 minutes to sling him off for Routledge before the change was actually made. I'm hoping this is a match-fitness issue - but my gut feel is that he's just not suited to our style of play or the position we're asking him to play (having said that, I can't pin where I think his best position would be - at least for us...)

Things that bugged me:
- Frequently out of position
- Getting too close to our other players
- Was always looking for a solo option when he had the ball in final 3rd. Rarely made a simple pass.
- Tracking back was poor. There was a passage of play where he was jogging 10 yards away from Ivanovic who was bombing down the wing. Ayew seemed more worried about pointing towards Fabregas than tracking their LB.

Would be good to see how FG uses him over the last few games - hopefully today was a match fitness issue.

Poll: Hull vs Middlesborough - What do we want?

Ayew vs Chelsea on 07:36 - Apr 10 with 3360 viewskarnataka

I think a lot of what you've said, he has been doing on and off for most of the season but yesterday, everybody else upped their games and effort so it was probably more noticeable. My main gripe was the number of times he just tried to do too much in the final 3rd and was eventually dispossessed when others around him were better positioned for, as you say, the simple pass which would have kept us moving forward.

As for his best position/role, I don't think anyone knows and it's been discussed many times but yesterday, I think we'd have functioned better as an attacking unit with either Routs or Barrow on the right from the start.
Ayew vs Chelsea on 07:44 - Apr 10 with 3333 viewsjack247

Bar the tracking back, which I agree was poor, but he normally does very well, he does all the rest every game. He has never fitted in to our system.

He is a gamechanger though, the goals dried up a bit before his injury, but he was our main attacking threat before Siggy stepped it up.

I'd say his best position is where Siggy plays, or as a striker in a partnership. I can't see us accommodating him in either role.
Ayew vs Chelsea on 07:51 - Apr 10 with 3310 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ayew vs Chelsea on 07:44 - Apr 10 by jack247

Bar the tracking back, which I agree was poor, but he normally does very well, he does all the rest every game. He has never fitted in to our system.

He is a gamechanger though, the goals dried up a bit before his injury, but he was our main attacking threat before Siggy stepped it up.

I'd say his best position is where Siggy plays, or as a striker in a partnership. I can't see us accommodating him in either role.

If Siggurdsson doesn't get snapped up this summer Ayew should be sold to bring two top quality wing back and a centre half in. And Pablo back please!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Ayew vs Chelsea on 07:56 - Apr 10 with 3286 views3swan

Ayew vs Chelsea on 07:51 - Apr 10 by Brynmill_Jack

If Siggurdsson doesn't get snapped up this summer Ayew should be sold to bring two top quality wing back and a centre half in. And Pablo back please!

Even if Siggurdson is sold, I would still sell if the price is right. He has something about him but chooses the wrong option more often than not
Ayew vs Chelsea on 08:13 - Apr 10 with 3222 viewsjack247

Ayew vs Chelsea on 07:51 - Apr 10 by Brynmill_Jack

I'd guess that will be what happens. I don't see us keeping them both and Ayew looks more likely to be sold.
Ayew vs Chelsea on 09:27 - Apr 10 with 3088 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ayew vs Chelsea on 08:13 - Apr 10 by jack247

I'd guess that will be what happens. I don't see us keeping them both and Ayew looks more likely to be sold.

Probably the more desirable of the two to the chasing clubs, however if Siggurdsson goes to Leicester and Ayew goes we will have some serious money to splash on some very good players.

Ayew vs Chelsea on 09:31 - Apr 10 with 3066 viewsoldcob

It's a strange one. Ayew has the technical ability to be our best player by a mile, but he just doesn't fit into our system. Is this something for our coaches to work on i.e change the system to suit him, or should the player try harder to be a fit?
Ayew vs Chelsea on 09:33 - Apr 10 with 3051 viewsNookiejack

He doesn't release it fast enough on our counter attacks and keep the ball moving. He slows us down.

On the positive side of his play - when we are under pressure is technically skilful enough to hold the ball up, lay it off and take heat out of game - we then keep possession.

If Guidolin could coach him to keep ball moving on counter attacks straight away - would be very happy if he stayed with us - as certainly strengthens our squad.

Hopefully we will see combination of Paloschi, Montero and Barrow starting in final games - to see how that compares with Ayew starting.
Login to get fewer ads

Ayew vs Chelsea on 09:39 - Apr 10 with 3012 viewsmonmouth

Barrow or Routs for him yesterday we win at a canter. He and pouty should be first on the out bus.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Ayew vs Chelsea on 09:41 - Apr 10 with 3009 viewsjack247

Ayew vs Chelsea on 09:33 - Apr 10 by Nookiejack

He doesn't release it fast enough on our counter attacks and keep the ball moving. He slows us down.

On the positive side of his play - when we are under pressure is technically skilful enough to hold the ball up, lay it off and take heat out of game - we then keep possession.

If Guidolin could coach him to keep ball moving on counter attacks straight away - would be very happy if he stayed with us - as certainly strengthens our squad.

Hopefully we will see combination of Paloschi, Montero and Barrow starting in final games - to see how that compares with Ayew starting.

It's very early days with Montero, but he has looked a different player in the last two games. If Guidollin could iron out the flaws in Ayews game as well, we would potentially have two top level players there.

It's easy to write him off as not fitting our system, I've done it myself, but Guidollins coaching seems to be a different level to Monks and if he can sort out Montero, there is no reason he can't do the same with Ayew.

Gut feeling is that he will want a move to a bigger club and we will be happy to cash in though.
Ayew vs Chelsea on 09:55 - Apr 10 with 2927 viewsblaine_scfc

Ayew vs Chelsea on 09:41 - Apr 10 by jack247

It's very early days with Montero, but he has looked a different player in the last two games. If Guidollin could iron out the flaws in Ayews game as well, we would potentially have two top level players there.

It's easy to write him off as not fitting our system, I've done it myself, but Guidollins coaching seems to be a different level to Monks and if he can sort out Montero, there is no reason he can't do the same with Ayew.

Gut feeling is that he will want a move to a bigger club and we will be happy to cash in though.

Montero has always been class. He was off form, it happens. People like yourself and the others wrote him off.

I'll say again. Best winger at the club by a mile.
Ayew vs Chelsea on 10:24 - Apr 10 with 2841 viewsWanderer

Ayew no doubt about it, has something in his locker, bloody good player but cannot put my finger on it, i think it's linking with his teamates, just seems to drift in and out of any specific playing pattern, when it clicks and when he goes off on his own and scores..marvelous, but seeing the ball roll past him or flicking past teamates because of just off wavelength ...frustrating.
By the way, must ,must, must keep the iceman..fantastic contribution!
Ayew vs Chelsea on 10:32 - Apr 10 with 2804 viewsjack247

Ayew vs Chelsea on 09:55 - Apr 10 by blaine_scfc

Montero has always been class. He was off form, it happens. People like yourself and the others wrote him off.

I'll say again. Best winger at the club by a mile.

I'll say it again.

He has always been class going running at fullbacks but his game has had gaping holes in it. It's the reason we are the biggest club he has ever played for. Look at his career to date and re-evaluate 'always been class'.

If you won't take it from me or other people on here who have a basic understanding of the game, read the two recent Guidollin interviews where he points out what Monteros (obvious) deficiencies are (hopefully were) and says he needs to work hard on them to get back in the team.
Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:10 - Apr 10 with 2714 viewsangryjack

Been saying ithat all season that he is shit and been getting slated for it but perhaps people are really seeing it now
Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:16 - Apr 10 with 2679 viewsDafyddHuw

I think you're right on both counts, Eastern. I think yesterday's performance was down to both lack of match fitness and the faults you highlight.

Square peg, round hole for us. Problem is we can't accommodate him and Siggy, and I'd much, much rather have Siggy. But there's a good player for some club in there.
Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:16 - Apr 10 with 2677 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:10 - Apr 10 by angryjack

Been saying ithat all season that he is shit and been getting slated for it but perhaps people are really seeing it now

Both you and Jack247 seem to have forgotten that all the players were shit for most of the season, including Sygi.
It is only since GM left that the players have been returning to their very best form and that includes Montero who you, by your own words have been slating all season.
Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:22 - Apr 10 with 2659 viewsPozuelosSideys

I think if Barrow had played yesterday we would have caused them even more problems in the attacking third than we did.

I like Ayew, i think hes quality - but he just doesnt suit us and a game of traditional wingers and width which we play. He either needs to play up front or not at all. Probably need to cash in and look at replacements in the summer.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:27 - Apr 10 with 2633 viewsblaine_scfc

Ayew vs Chelsea on 10:32 - Apr 10 by jack247

I'll say it again.

He has always been class going running at fullbacks but his game has had gaping holes in it. It's the reason we are the biggest club he has ever played for. Look at his career to date and re-evaluate 'always been class'.

If you won't take it from me or other people on here who have a basic understanding of the game, read the two recent Guidollin interviews where he points out what Monteros (obvious) deficiencies are (hopefully were) and says he needs to work hard on them to get back in the team.

Basic understanding sums it up. We were at our best when we had Montero playing. If you want a flat out "defensive" winger then we should have kept Dyer. He lost form, so did the rest of them. I have no doubt in my mind we would be better off on the points tally now if he played more. Wasted a very talented player this season and are now only reaping the awards of him. I would hazard a guess we will now lose him in the summer aswell.

He's played for Villareal and Real Betis, both bigger clubs than us.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2016 11:31]
Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:34 - Apr 10 with 2594 viewsAl_Bundy

Don't think Siggy will be off. Been there done that ! the grass isn't always greener for players leaving us for better things.

He's better off being a big fish in a small pond.
Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:34 - Apr 10 with 2594 viewsjack247

Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:16 - Apr 10 by A_Fans_Dad

Both you and Jack247 seem to have forgotten that all the players were shit for most of the season, including Sygi.
It is only since GM left that the players have been returning to their very best form and that includes Montero who you, by your own words have been slating all season.

I certainly haven't forgotten we had been shit for a large part of the season and yes that includes most of the first team.

Montero isn't returning to his best form, he is being moulded into a more versatile effective player. If he can keep that up, he will be far better than he was before.

Going forward, he was no better yesterday than at the start of the season. The difference was he wasn't leaving Taylor exposed, was chasing back and tackling, Taylor didn't bring the ball to the halfway line and stretch his arms out in front of him (because Monteros off the ball movement is so much better) and he was coming off his wing to link with Siggy and Paloschi.

I'm honestly amazed that people think he was just off form, when he had never done any of the teamwork side of it before. Not that it really matters, he had gaping holes in his game, if he has filled them he can be a massive player for us.
Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:40 - Apr 10 with 2564 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:16 - Apr 10 by A_Fans_Dad

Siggy was being played out of position in order to accommodate Shelvey into the team.
Since Shelvey left Siggy has played in his best position and the result is there for all to see.

One of the major reasons for Monk losing his job was his insistence that Shelvey was a better option than Siggy who is twice the footballer that Shelvey will ever be.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:45 - Apr 10 with 2553 viewsjack247

Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:27 - Apr 10 by blaine_scfc

Basic understanding sums it up. We were at our best when we had Montero playing. If you want a flat out "defensive" winger then we should have kept Dyer. He lost form, so did the rest of them. I have no doubt in my mind we would be better off on the points tally now if he played more. Wasted a very talented player this season and are now only reaping the awards of him. I would hazard a guess we will now lose him in the summer aswell.

Villarreal and Real Betis are bigger clubs than us? Historically yes, nowhere near since we have been in the Premier League. See what happens if we are in for the same player as either of them in the summer.

You don't need a flat out defensive winger, you may as well play two full backs on the same side. You need a winger who primarily attacks, but doesn't neglect every other aspect of the game. That is what he was doing and why he wasn't in the team. He didn't do it yesterday and was one of the best players on the pitch. Signs were there last week at Stoke.

By the way, if you think Dyer was flat out defensive, I really dont know what to say.

The reason we have picked up so many points lately is because we have sacrificed our wingers , loaded the midfield and made ourselves much harder to break down. It's only opinion, but I think playing conservatively is what has kept us up.

I doubt we will lose him in the summer. If he has any sense, he will see that Guidollin has the ability to make him into a top class winger.
Ayew vs Chelsea on 12:17 - Apr 10 with 2486 viewsblaine_scfc

Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:45 - Apr 10 by jack247

Villarreal and Real Betis are bigger clubs than us? Historically yes, nowhere near since we have been in the Premier League. See what happens if we are in for the same player as either of them in the summer.

You don't need a flat out defensive winger, you may as well play two full backs on the same side. You need a winger who primarily attacks, but doesn't neglect every other aspect of the game. That is what he was doing and why he wasn't in the team. He didn't do it yesterday and was one of the best players on the pitch. Signs were there last week at Stoke.

By the way, if you think Dyer was flat out defensive, I really dont know what to say.

The reason we have picked up so many points lately is because we have sacrificed our wingers , loaded the midfield and made ourselves much harder to break down. It's only opinion, but I think playing conservatively is what has kept us up.

I doubt we will lose him in the summer. If he has any sense, he will see that Guidollin has the ability to make him into a top class winger.

Are you joking? Villareal are fourth in what many seem to think is a stronger league than the Premier League. Historically bigger, and bigger now. Nowhere near bigger than us?! Crazy.

Flat out defensive winger is exaggerating, but he's as good as his defensive duties as any winger I have seen, but has no end quality, and has struggled to beat a man for a while now. Montero gives you so much more in the attacking third. By playing him in pins back the opposition full backs so this in itself gives us a more solid foundation defensively, especially due to the fact our fullbacks don't do a stroke going forward apart from Rangel.

When Montero wasn't playing, we were still being punished time and time again down the flanks, just take a look at the Bournemouth highlights for one, and that's only one example, Sunderland at home another, Leicester at home is yet another, I could go on and on. The notion of ha being more solid defensively with the likes of Routledge playing is an absolutel myth. We just looked unbalanced and carry very little threat in the final third.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2016 12:18]
Ayew vs Chelsea on 12:18 - Apr 10 with 2484 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

If someone comes in for him in the summer for 8-10 million

I'd sell him

There I said it

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Ayew vs Chelsea on 12:25 - Apr 10 with 2446 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Ayew vs Chelsea on 11:27 - Apr 10 by blaine_scfc

No they're not Blaine. We could probably buy them as feeder clubs with whatever get financially in the PL

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024