Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boleyn or Upton Park 13:19 - May 9 with 12678 viewsymaohyd

Have I missed the memo that West Ham fans call Upton Park the' Boleyn Ground' rather than Upton Park.

Not that I could give a toss generally, but being an anorak for football general knowledge, since I was a kid have always been able to name all the ground names and never knew it as the Boleyn.

Used to read a few references calling it the Boleyn but practically always Upton Park. Now all of a sudden, Sky Sports news coverage of the last game and everything is the Boleyn.

Curious, have West Ham fans voted to refer to it as the Boleyn recently?

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:21 - May 9 with 9369 viewsdickythorpe

Upton Park FFS!!
Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:23 - May 9 with 9362 viewsLeon_Drinker

I've always known it as The Boleyn Ground or Upton Park.
Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:24 - May 9 with 9351 viewsymaohyd

Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:21 - May 9 by dickythorpe

Upton Park FFS!!

Well watching Sky Sports News now, everything refers to the Boleyn Ground.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:27 - May 9 with 9335 viewsdickythorpe

Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:24 - May 9 by ymaohyd

Well watching Sky Sports News now, everything refers to the Boleyn Ground.

I feel your pain!! Been doing my nut in and I dont even care! LOL!!
Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:31 - May 9 with 9318 viewsItchySphincter

Yeah, they're all pretending they've always used the Boleyn although every football fan that ever existed knows they've always preferred Upton Park. Both names apply but this Boleyn boIIocks is recent.

Same applies to West Ham in general - you have to call it Stratford theses days as there is no West Ham. There's an East Ham mind, maybe they should have f*cked off over there.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:37 - May 9 with 9298 viewslondonlisa2001

The stadium has always officially been the Boleyn Ground (named incidentally after Boleyn Castle hence the castle in their badge - a house owned by Anne Boleyn or her family just by the stadium).

It was known as Upton Park because that's where it is - the area is Upton Park (and the tube station). Their fans always used to call it Upton Park other than real traditionalists who called it by its proper name.

They've all started calling it by its proper name for some reason.

Incidentally, Arsenal was the same. Highbury was actually 'The Arsenal Stadium' but it was called Highbury because that's where it was and all fans called it that.
Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:49 - May 9 with 9247 viewsGroo

From the time I got into football in the late 60's, it was always Upton Park. Like others I had never even heard of Boleyn as a reference and like others I proded myself that knew the names of all grounds.

Started hearing Boleyn a few years ago and wondered why they changed the name, for someone to say its always been the case is baffling to me.

Groo does what Groo does best

Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:51 - May 9 with 9233 viewsmonmouth

Yes, but since when has it been Boh-linn rather than Bollyn?

That's what's doing my Swede in. Bloody Phillippa Gregory and her ilk probably.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Login to get fewer ads

Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:53 - May 9 with 9223 viewslondonlisa2001

Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:49 - May 9 by Groo

From the time I got into football in the late 60's, it was always Upton Park. Like others I had never even heard of Boleyn as a reference and like others I proded myself that knew the names of all grounds.

Started hearing Boleyn a few years ago and wondered why they changed the name, for someone to say its always been the case is baffling to me.

The old East End blokes would always call it Boleyn even when virtually all their fans called it Upton Park. I know this because I've sat in the back of a cab driven by one more than once over the years :-)
Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:06 - May 9 with 9193 viewslondonlisa2001

Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:51 - May 9 by monmouth

Yes, but since when has it been Boh-linn rather than Bollyn?

That's what's doing my Swede in. Bloody Phillippa Gregory and her ilk probably.

The great myth is that the ground is where Anne Boleyn was beheaded (she wasn't, of course).

There are some lovely stories about parts of London and why they're called what they are. I've always found it really interesting.

As an example, Elephant and Castle has a brilliant myth that it was named after the Spanish Infanta (The Infanta de Castille) who married someone (Edward?) and the locals couldn't say it so called it the Elephant and Castle. In truth, it is named after a pub which had the sign of an elephant with a 'castle' (it's not really a castle but a Howdah) on its back because the pub was on the site of an old blacksmiths where they were members of the Cutlers Company (one of the London guilds) and that was their sign (because the ivory used for cutlery came from India).

I love that sort of stuff.
Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:28 - May 9 with 9149 viewsmonmouth

Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:06 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

The great myth is that the ground is where Anne Boleyn was beheaded (she wasn't, of course).

There are some lovely stories about parts of London and why they're called what they are. I've always found it really interesting.

As an example, Elephant and Castle has a brilliant myth that it was named after the Spanish Infanta (The Infanta de Castille) who married someone (Edward?) and the locals couldn't say it so called it the Elephant and Castle. In truth, it is named after a pub which had the sign of an elephant with a 'castle' (it's not really a castle but a Howdah) on its back because the pub was on the site of an old blacksmiths where they were members of the Cutlers Company (one of the London guilds) and that was their sign (because the ivory used for cutlery came from India).

I was fascinated by the E&C when I was a kid because of the name and because it was the end of the tube line. Then, as an adult, I went there. Mistake.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:33 - May 9 with 9132 viewsunion_jack

Boleyn or Upton Park on 13:37 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

The stadium has always officially been the Boleyn Ground (named incidentally after Boleyn Castle hence the castle in their badge - a house owned by Anne Boleyn or her family just by the stadium).

It was known as Upton Park because that's where it is - the area is Upton Park (and the tube station). Their fans always used to call it Upton Park other than real traditionalists who called it by its proper name.

They've all started calling it by its proper name for some reason.

Incidentally, Arsenal was the same. Highbury was actually 'The Arsenal Stadium' but it was called Highbury because that's where it was and all fans called it that.

Was she a big fan?

Anyway, Hammers or Irons?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:38 - May 9 with 9116 viewslondonlisa2001

Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:33 - May 9 by union_jack

Was she a big fan?

Anyway, Hammers or Irons?

That's the same as Swans or jacks I believe?
Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:44 - May 9 with 9102 viewsunion_jack

Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:38 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

I've only ever known WHU fans to call them the Hammers in conversation but they sing "come on you irons". Suppose a hammer is made out of iron so makes sense.
[Post edited 9 May 2016 14:44]

Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:49 - May 9 with 9090 viewslondonlisa2001

Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:44 - May 9 by union_jack

I've only ever known WHU fans to call them the Hammers in conversation but they sing "come on you irons". Suppose a hammer is made out of iron so makes sense.
[Post edited 9 May 2016 14:44]

The team are the Irons (because they started out as Thames Ironworks).

I thought the fans were the Hammers (as in the followers of West Ham).

Isn't it the same as our team is the Swans, we are Jacks, but the team is also referred to as the Jacks sometimes?
Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:53 - May 9 with 9080 viewsunion_jack

Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:49 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

Isn't it the same as our team is the Swans, we are Jacks, but the team is also referred to as the Jacks sometimes?

I suppose it could be just that, yes.

Boleyn or Upton Park on 16:39 - May 9 with 8978 viewsWxmJax

Knew it as Upton Park in the 70's and it always used to be a trick trivia question - who play their home games at The Boleyn Ground ?

However, all the merchandise on sale last Saturday referred to leaving The Boleyn Ground after 112 years, didn't see anything with reference to Upton Park so I take it to be The Boleyn Ground.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Boleyn or Upton Park on 16:43 - May 9 with 8967 viewsairedale

Academic now though isn't it? It will more than likely be called Nelson Mandela House before too long.
Boleyn or Upton Park on 18:02 - May 9 with 8866 viewstaffpunk

I remember a question on Who wants to be a millionaire prob 20 years ago. It was for at least 50 grand, where do west ham play? Before the 4 options came up, I said to the other half, it's Upton Park. That wasn't even one of the choices, I was adamant they'd got it wrong, and when they said the answer was the Boelyn Ground, I told her that the quiz compilers had obviously made a mistake, there was no such stadium.
[Post edited 9 May 2016 18:03]

Second Time Around Record Shop-Tonypandy, RCT-Open Friday and Saturday. Valley Leaflets-Reliable Leaflet Distribution throughout South Wales.

Boleyn or Upton Park on 18:08 - May 9 with 8843 viewslondonlisa2001

Boleyn or Upton Park on 16:43 - May 9 by airedale

Academic now though isn't it? It will more than likely be called Nelson Mandela House before too long.

Not in that part of London it won't be!

Great highlight for me of going to see us at West Ham a few times was that they used to play Teenage Kicks at the end of the match - do they still do that anyone that went on Saturday?

Much better than What A Beautiful Day !
Boleyn or Upton Park on 18:14 - May 9 with 8832 viewssherpajacob

Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:49 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

West ham fans have always known it as the boleyn ground. i recall alf garnett calling it that in one episode.

i would never call "the team" the jacks. the jacks is us the fans or a collective of us and the team. The team on its own is the swans.If others think differently thats fine.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Boleyn or Upton Park on 18:25 - May 9 with 8806 viewslondonlisa2001

Boleyn or Upton Park on 18:14 - May 9 by sherpajacob

West ham fans have always known it as the boleyn ground. i recall alf garnett calling it that in one episode.

i would never call "the team" the jacks. the jacks is us the fans or a collective of us and the team. The team on its own is the swans.If others think differently thats fine.

That's because he was one of the 'old boys' I was referring to who always called it that.

I wouldn't refer to the team as the Jacks either - I'm mainly talking about people elsewhere in the country who sometimes do.
Boleyn or Upton Park on 18:25 - May 9 with 8806 viewsImAlrightJack

Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:06 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

Yeah, I've been getting all into this stuff lately and learnt a lot of new stuff from this thread :), I also find it fascinating reading all these early names for places described in the Doomsday Book, and why they changed their spellings to the ones used today.

The idea of Upton Park being the cognoquillal name, as it's officially Boleyn Ground, reminds me of Seaford.... locals say "Sea-ford", everyone else outside says "sea-furd". What one is official I really don't know!.
Boleyn or Upton Park on 18:58 - May 9 with 8759 viewsexiledclaseboy

Always been Upton Park to me. I've always been aware of the Boleyn name but hardly anyone ever used it until about yesterday.

Poll: Tory leader

Boleyn or Upton Park on 19:04 - May 9 with 8745 viewsGowerjack

Boleyn or Upton Park on 14:38 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

No Lisa I don't think it is.

When I first started watching the Swans (1974) our only nickname was the Swans.

Jacks became more popular as I recall in the mid 80's or so.

I believe that in any case Jacks should be used in relation to the clubs supporters,the team nickname is the Swans.
[Post edited 9 May 2016 19:06]

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024