Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the new format less entertaining? 08:52 - Jun 21 with 3624 viewsmacthejack

I know it will hardly be Wales fans' biggest concern at the moment but I thought this tweet from Gary Lineker last night was interesting:

Does he have a point? Do you now have too many teams playing for a draw? Slovakia last night being the prime example, with the previous format they would have had to win to go through which you assume would have made for a much more exciting game.
Is the new format less entertaining? on 09:10 - Jun 21 with 3595 viewssherpajacob

Would he have tweeted this if England had won?

There is a point, in that only 8 teams will go home after the group stages.

Conversely it keeps teams in with a chance, Albania were brilliant, and Russia knew a win would take them through.

All teams still have something to play for.

As for bring on the knockout stages has the jugged eared crisp salesman forgotten England parking the entire Wallace Arnold fleet against Italy 4 years ago.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Is the new format less entertaining? on 09:59 - Jun 21 with 3514 viewsHighjack

Slovakia could have potentially topped the group with a win at kick off yesterday so why would they play for a draw?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Is the new format less entertaining? on 10:08 - Jun 21 with 3492 viewsrealpencoedjack

it is my belief that pretty much any of teh 8 teams that will end up going home do have a chance if they win their last game, so no i think it has actually made it more interesting.
Is the new format less entertaining? on 10:12 - Jun 21 with 3476 viewsHighjack

Exactly. Finishing third is not guaranteed to get you through so why would you deliberately play for third?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Is the new format less entertaining? on 10:24 - Jun 21 with 3456 viewsClinton

Is the new format less entertaining? on 10:08 - Jun 21 by realpencoedjack

it is my belief that pretty much any of teh 8 teams that will end up going home do have a chance if they win their last game, so no i think it has actually made it more interesting.

Yes, most teams have something to play for right to the end.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Is the new format less entertaining? on 10:45 - Jun 21 with 3433 viewsjack247

Is the new format less entertaining? on 09:59 - Jun 21 by Highjack

Slovakia could have potentially topped the group with a win at kick off yesterday so why would they play for a draw?

Because if they had attacked England, they would probably have been annihilated and eliminated. Despite scoring 3 goals in 2 games, England have proved they aren't the best at unlocking defences.

It is boring when teams play for a 0-0, but you can't really blame them. Only saw injury time because I was watching Wales. Did they play like that all game?
Is the new format less entertaining? on 11:08 - Jun 21 with 3402 viewssherpajacob

Is the new format less entertaining? on 10:45 - Jun 21 by jack247

Because if they had attacked England, they would probably have been annihilated and eliminated. Despite scoring 3 goals in 2 games, England have proved they aren't the best at unlocking defences.

It is boring when teams play for a 0-0, but you can't really blame them. Only saw injury time because I was watching Wales. Did they play like that all game?

I haven't seen any of the game.

My guess is England played with lots of energy and Slovakia were happy for them to have the ball 30 yards or more out.

Neither of the centre backs carried the ball forward, lots of passing but little movement in the way of one-two s or triangles.

Lots of poor final balls either hit too long or not clearing the first defender with more and more long balls into the box the longer the game went on.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Is the new format less entertaining? on 11:12 - Jun 21 with 3398 viewsJethroJack

Sour cream flavoured Walkers crisps from WING-NUT Lineker.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024