Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
US tour squad 11:51 - Jul 7 with 3768 viewssomersetsimon

http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article/2016-17/swans-depart-for-america-tour-31

No mention of Gomis...

US tour squad on 11:58 - Jul 7 with 3080 viewsPegojack

He's having a rest after being caught offside more than any other Premier player in 2015-6.
US tour squad on 12:13 - Jul 7 with 3040 viewsAl_Bundy

Gomis has insisted he will be called up by France for the Euro final so he's staying here waiting for the Paris call.
US tour squad on 12:27 - Jul 7 with 2986 viewsairedale

7 youngsters going. But where be Bafe, him off to Marseille imo.
US tour squad on 12:33 - Jul 7 with 2968 viewssomersetsimon

US tour squad on 12:27 - Jul 7 by airedale

7 youngsters going. But where be Bafe, him off to Marseille imo.

It was odd that they didn't even mention his name. Did they think no one would notice?
US tour squad on 12:36 - Jul 7 with 2954 viewsjasper_T

Great to see Dan James included. Was still playing with the u18s before last season and looks the real deal.

Connor Roberts too.
US tour squad on 12:44 - Jul 7 with 2929 viewsairedale

US tour squad on 12:33 - Jul 7 by somersetsimon

It was odd that they didn't even mention his name. Did they think no one would notice?

Because they haven't said anything and therefore its the elephant in the room, I reckon an announcement [about him] is imminent.
US tour squad on 12:45 - Jul 7 with 2929 viewssomersetsimon

US tour squad on 12:36 - Jul 7 by jasper_T

Great to see Dan James included. Was still playing with the u18s before last season and looks the real deal.

Connor Roberts too.

It's about time we had a youngster step up into the first team. Who is the most likely?

If they are nowhere close to the first team at 20 or 21, are they ever likely to make it?
US tour squad on 13:06 - Jul 7 with 2865 viewslondonlisa2001

It's so typical of the way we manage information that our only 1st team forward is left out of the squad and no reason is given.

He has to be on his way (which is good) but what on earth is the point of a training camp if we have so many players missing and haven't got new signings in place. Makes me think that our new signings are coming from the Euros as well otherwise why on earth have we not got hem in by now.

McBurnie is all well and good as a backup to a new 1st choice, 2nd choice and Ayew but that surely is about it.
Login to get fewer ads

US tour squad on 13:10 - Jul 7 with 2852 viewsjasper_T

US tour squad on 12:45 - Jul 7 by somersetsimon

It's about time we had a youngster step up into the first team. Who is the most likely?

If they are nowhere close to the first team at 20 or 21, are they ever likely to make it?

Conventional British wisdom - the kind that awards the Jack Wilsheres and John Stoneses of the world England shirts for life at 18 - says no, by 20 or 21 a young player who has received years of professional coaching should be close to as physically and technically capable as they will ever be. The idea of players peaking at 27/28 is outdated, and modern expectations are that players reach their level at 22-24 and maintain it until 30+.

It's not that straightforward, obviously, but by and large if a player doesn't break through before they turn 21 it's unrealistic to expect a massive jump. Can happen, but don't bet the farm on it.

The players that are likely to succeed in the Premier League will be those that - even in an elite youth environment - stand out above their age level. Dan James has done that, and without being a 6'2 185lb 15 year old like most English prospects. He's the most likely to really make an impact coming through.

Connor Roberts was an upgrade on Liam Shephard at Yeovil (according to them) and plays a position we need change/improvement. If he gets his chance could be the next Ben Davies.

There's a lot of decent players in that 20-21 bracket now but it'll be tough for them to break into a Premier League starting 11, and their futures probably lie in the Championship and below. Make or break time for Fulton, Gorre etc.
US tour squad on 13:12 - Jul 7 with 2834 viewsWatchman

Rest my old eyes but no Tubby on the list? as he certainly was in pre season get together

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

US tour squad on 13:13 - Jul 7 with 2830 viewsairedale

US tour squad on 12:45 - Jul 7 by somersetsimon

In any clubs' academy you're going to have youngsters who are capable of achieving a certain level. The trick is to be able to identify that level for each individual, as some will develop later that others.

So, potentially in our academy we may have no home grown players capable of achieving PL standard at any given time, which means that we have developed these players for the benefit of clubs at different levels than our own.

Taking this argument a stage further then, its reasonable to say that the best way to secure young talent for our clubs future is to buy these young players from other clubs.
US tour squad on 13:18 - Jul 7 with 2812 viewssomersetsimon

US tour squad on 13:12 - Jul 7 by Watchman

Rest my old eyes but no Tubby on the list? as he certainly was in pre season get together

Probably needs a rest after a week's pre-season training.
US tour squad on 13:30 - Jul 7 with 2776 viewslondonlisa2001

US tour squad on 13:12 - Jul 7 by Watchman

That's a very good point. Another one with no mention.
US tour squad on 13:32 - Jul 7 with 2765 viewsWatchman

US tour squad on 13:30 - Jul 7 by londonlisa2001

That's a very good point. Another one with no mention.

summer of the long knifes Lisa

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

US tour squad on 13:38 - Jul 7 with 2748 viewslondonlisa2001

US tour squad on 13:32 - Jul 7 by Watchman

summer of the long knifes Lisa

I'm not concerned about the players going, but I'll be hugely concerned if our replacements are not brought in relatively sharpish.

I'm still expecting Ki to go.
US tour squad on 13:44 - Jul 7 with 2730 viewsJack_Kass

US tour squad on 13:10 - Jul 7 by jasper_T

Conventional British wisdom - the kind that awards the Jack Wilsheres and John Stoneses of the world England shirts for life at 18 - says no, by 20 or 21 a young player who has received years of professional coaching should be close to as physically and technically capable as they will ever be. The idea of players peaking at 27/28 is outdated, and modern expectations are that players reach their level at 22-24 and maintain it until 30+.

It's not that straightforward, obviously, but by and large if a player doesn't break through before they turn 21 it's unrealistic to expect a massive jump. Can happen, but don't bet the farm on it.

The players that are likely to succeed in the Premier League will be those that - even in an elite youth environment - stand out above their age level. Dan James has done that, and without being a 6'2 185lb 15 year old like most English prospects. He's the most likely to really make an impact coming through.

Connor Roberts was an upgrade on Liam Shephard at Yeovil (according to them) and plays a position we need change/improvement. If he gets his chance could be the next Ben Davies.

There's a lot of decent players in that 20-21 bracket now but it'll be tough for them to break into a Premier League starting 11, and their futures probably lie in the Championship and below. Make or break time for Fulton, Gorre etc.

Just like Jamie Vardy..

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

US tour squad on 13:52 - Jul 7 with 2704 viewsjasper_T

US tour squad on 13:44 - Jul 7 by Jack_Kass

Just like Jamie Vardy..

Not at all. Jamie Vardy developed in non-league football, only joining Conference side Fleetwood Town when he was 24, and progressed up the leagues from there.

He's very much an exception to the norm, and not someone we should be expecting our young players to resemble in terms of development. As I said, it can happen, but shouldn't be the expectation.
US tour squad on 14:13 - Jul 7 with 2669 viewsJack_Kass

US tour squad on 13:52 - Jul 7 by jasper_T

Not at all. Jamie Vardy developed in non-league football, only joining Conference side Fleetwood Town when he was 24, and progressed up the leagues from there.

He's very much an exception to the norm, and not someone we should be expecting our young players to resemble in terms of development. As I said, it can happen, but shouldn't be the expectation.

Gareth McAuley
Troy Deeney
Chris Smalling

It's not s**t or bust at 21, far from it.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

US tour squad on 14:21 - Jul 7 with 2640 viewsjasper_T

US tour squad on 14:13 - Jul 7 by Jack_Kass

Gareth McAuley
Troy Deeney
Chris Smalling

It's not s**t or bust at 21, far from it.

Good thing that's not what I said.

The vast majority of players that fall out of top level academies at 20/21 years of age don't come back up to the Premier League. Cherry-picking a few exceptions doesn't disprove anything, especially when most of the famous ones either weren't a part of top flight academies to begin with, or were let go at a much earlier age (usually for asinine reasons like being "too small to play football").

Smalling signed for United when he was 20.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2016 14:30]
US tour squad on 14:31 - Jul 7 with 2601 viewsLoyal

Kingsley, albeit Falkirk, is a superb player. Will be a top top player one day.
As an aside, who the Fck is coming in up front !

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

US tour squad on 14:38 - Jul 7 with 2581 viewsexiledinenglandjack

US tour squad on 14:31 - Jul 7 by Loyal

Kingsley, albeit Falkirk, is a superb player. Will be a top top player one day.
As an aside, who the Fck is coming in up front !

I know it's how the club likes to operate but its a bit worrying there has been no links to strikers
US tour squad on 14:51 - Jul 7 with 2554 viewsjasper_T

US tour squad on 14:38 - Jul 7 by exiledinenglandjack

I know it's how the club likes to operate but its a bit worrying there has been no links to strikers

Hopefully they've got one in mind but it's for such a serious amount of money the takeover needs to be completed first.
US tour squad on 14:54 - Jul 7 with 2547 viewslondonlisa2001

US tour squad on 14:51 - Jul 7 by jasper_T

Hopefully they've got one in mind but it's for such a serious amount of money the takeover needs to be completed first.

Hopefully they've got more than one in mind as we've shipped out three by the looks of things.

(Oh, and Emnes).
US tour squad on 15:00 - Jul 7 with 2537 viewsskippyjack

US tour squad on 13:06 - Jul 7 by londonlisa2001

It's so typical of the way we manage information that our only 1st team forward is left out of the squad and no reason is given.

He has to be on his way (which is good) but what on earth is the point of a training camp if we have so many players missing and haven't got new signings in place. Makes me think that our new signings are coming from the Euros as well otherwise why on earth have we not got hem in by now.

McBurnie is all well and good as a backup to a new 1st choice, 2nd choice and Ayew but that surely is about it.

I was thinking that..

Robson-Kanu has been on Huws radar before.. and when they're on his radar.. they're signed up.. Emnes, Fer, Gomis, Routledge, Graham, Cork.

Hopefully they're after out of favour Mario Gomez.. but I'll doubt it... but if Gomis is indeed off.. We can afford his 70k a week wages.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2016 15:07]

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

US tour squad on 15:09 - Jul 7 with 2502 viewsLandore_Jack

The only recognised striker on the tour is Oliver McBurnie.

Down to the bare bones.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2016 15:18]

#backtojack

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024