Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh Sides in Europe 13:49 - Jul 8 with 5030 viewsyescomeon

Got the bug after the Euro's, actually watched TNS's first qualifying round second leg game against Tre Penne of San Marino, gave them a bit of a pasting, as you would hope the would, 3-0 on the night, 5-1 on aggregate. They play APOEL Nicosia, in the second round, a week Tuesday, some football to watch between the Euros and the Premier League season.

In the Europa league Bala lost 4-0 on aggregate to AIK Stockholm, Llandudno lost 7-1 on aggregate to IFK Goteborg in the debut Europa league "campaign", and Connah's Quay managed a 1-0 aggregate win over Stabeak of Norway. They will face Serbian side FK Vojvodina in the second round on Thursday.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the TNS game, they seem to have been walking all over the Welsh league since they've gone pro and will be interesting to see them against some (no disrespect) better competition in APOEL who have qualified for the champions league group stages a few times and got to the quarter finals a few years ago.

Upthecity!

Welsh Sides in Europe on 13:51 - Jul 8 with 5018 viewsCooperman

Genuine question - do many LoW clubs progress beyond their first round in European competition? I ask because I don't see any publicity of the early matches.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Welsh Sides in Europe on 14:01 - Jul 8 with 4996 viewsyescomeon

In general or this season? The league winner (pretty much TNS for the foreseeable future) goes into the champions league first qualifying round. Then 3 more, go into the Europa league first qualifying round. TNS are through to the second round champions league qualifying this season and Connnah's Quay are in the second round qualifying of the Europa league.

Historically I actually have no idea how far teams have managed to go but getting through the first round is certainly not unheard of, with teams from San Marino and the like in the mix.

It's a real big deal for the Welsh clubs its about £200k per qualifying round in the Europa league and like £200k, plus £100k per round in the champions league. It's got to be how TNS have managed to go pro.

Upthecity!

Welsh Sides in Europe on 14:48 - Jul 8 with 4957 viewsOxOsp

What channel are these games on? I didn't realise that they were on the tellybox.
Welsh Sides in Europe on 14:54 - Jul 8 with 4949 viewsWxmJax

I thought TNS were bankrolled by Total Network Solutions hence the name. Can't remember the name of the company owner who was/is also the chairman of the club. They used to be called Llansantffraid and their nickname was The Saints. TNS=the new saints was just a coincidence.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Welsh Sides in Europe on 15:00 - Jul 8 with 4938 viewsyescomeon

Welsh Sides in Europe on 14:48 - Jul 8 by OxOsp

What channel are these games on? I didn't realise that they were on the tellybox.

I have been watching streams, the TNS game was on San Marino TV and I am assuming the next one will be on Cypriot TV.

[edit] If I find one for the games over the next few weeks and I remember I'll post them in this thread.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2016 15:03]

Upthecity!

Welsh Sides in Europe on 15:01 - Jul 8 with 4937 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

What an absolutly fantastic win for Connahs Key that is .

One of the best in welsh premier league football .

Superb stuff

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Welsh Sides in Europe on 15:01 - Jul 8 with 4935 viewsyescomeon

Welsh Sides in Europe on 14:54 - Jul 8 by WxmJax

I thought TNS were bankrolled by Total Network Solutions hence the name. Can't remember the name of the company owner who was/is also the chairman of the club. They used to be called Llansantffraid and their nickname was The Saints. TNS=the new saints was just a coincidence.

I do remember them being Total Network Solutions. Them being full time seems to be such a big advantage, they're on for a treble of trebles, or did they get that this season?

Upthecity!

Welsh Sides in Europe on 15:04 - Jul 8 with 4928 viewsJackFish

They took Debrecen to extra time in Hungary last season, but just lost out. Don't think they have much of a chance against APOEL unfortunately. Our sides will always struggle while our biggest four clubs play in the English leagues unfortunately.
Login to get fewer ads

Welsh Sides in Europe on 15:20 - Jul 8 with 4907 viewsCooperman

Welsh Sides in Europe on 14:01 - Jul 8 by yescomeon

In general or this season? The league winner (pretty much TNS for the foreseeable future) goes into the champions league first qualifying round. Then 3 more, go into the Europa league first qualifying round. TNS are through to the second round champions league qualifying this season and Connnah's Quay are in the second round qualifying of the Europa league.

Historically I actually have no idea how far teams have managed to go but getting through the first round is certainly not unheard of, with teams from San Marino and the like in the mix.

It's a real big deal for the Welsh clubs its about £200k per qualifying round in the Europa league and like £200k, plus £100k per round in the champions league. It's got to be how TNS have managed to go pro.

Cheers for that. I didn't realise the financial stakes were so high in the early rounds either.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Welsh Sides in Europe on 15:22 - Jul 8 with 4902 viewsTreforys_Jack

Does sgorio fruit know you started this thread.
Welsh Sides in Europe on 18:04 - Jul 8 with 4820 viewsLoyal

Welsh Sides in Europe on 15:04 - Jul 8 by JackFish

They took Debrecen to extra time in Hungary last season, but just lost out. Don't think they have much of a chance against APOEL unfortunately. Our sides will always struggle while our biggest four clubs play in the English leagues unfortunately.

And long may that be the case.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Welsh Sides in Europe on 18:43 - Jul 8 with 4786 viewsJack_Kass

Wales have an absolute dog of a UEFA coefficient score so the domestic champion goes into the first quali round with 7 other teams (from countries of similar standing such as Andorra, and San Marino)

Most of the time they do progress, but in recent times have found it incredibly difficult to get past the 2nd round, with a lot of professional leagues entering their elective teams into the round (They could have played Celtic in this round)

Hopefully with their sudden found wealth, the FAW invests in the domestic game, because surely a stronger League of Wales = stronger national side

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Welsh Sides in Europe on 18:57 - Jul 8 with 4771 viewsswanjackal

TNS....Shropshire's finest.

They were looking to relocate to Salt Lake City, USA, after being looked at by prominent Mormon businessmen, but it fell through due to not being able to secure their preferred name.....TUS.......The Utah Saints.....(getting my coat as I speak...)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Welsh Sides in Europe on 19:43 - Jul 8 with 4736 viewsmorningstar

Welsh Sides in Europe on 15:22 - Jul 8 by Treforys_Jack

Does sgorio fruit know you started this thread.

If he hasn't given permission, he wont be havin a larf when he sees this that's for sure.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Welsh Sides in Europe on 20:21 - Jul 8 with 4701 viewsyescomeon

Hard to see how the coefficient is going to improve unless a few more Welsh teams can go pro, and hard to see how they can go pro without the money European success brings. (unless they can secure outside investment of course) Seems a bit of a catch 22. One lucky year in the draw is all it needs for TNS and they could find themselves in the Europa league group stages, happened to Shamrock Rovers a few years ago.

Upthecity!

Welsh Sides in Europe on 23:39 - Jul 8 with 4605 viewsMorganator100

Lost to Liverpool in the UEFA Champions League qualifier one year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4675805.stm
Welsh Sides in Europe on 00:00 - Jul 9 with 4586 viewsmorningstar

Welsh Sides in Europe on 20:21 - Jul 8 by yescomeon

Hard to see how the coefficient is going to improve unless a few more Welsh teams can go pro, and hard to see how they can go pro without the money European success brings. (unless they can secure outside investment of course) Seems a bit of a catch 22. One lucky year in the draw is all it needs for TNS and they could find themselves in the Europa league group stages, happened to Shamrock Rovers a few years ago.

Problem TNS have is that as Welsh 'champions' they enter the Champions league qualifiers of which they have zero chance of progressing to the group stage. I believe the best a Welsh premier club has gone in any European competition is when Barry Town got through the qualifiers of the old Euro cup winners cup and got knocked out 6-4 against Aberdeen over two legs in the first round.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Welsh Sides in Europe on 00:07 - Jul 9 with 4577 viewsItchySphincter

Welsh Sides in Europe on 14:54 - Jul 8 by WxmJax

They used to be Llansantfraid because that's where they were, then TNS Llansatfraid because they were sponsored by Total Network Solutions then when they went to play in Oswestry, England, they became The New Saints to keep the TNS part of the name. Still play in the LoW. I'll be there on Tuesday unfortunately.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Welsh Sides in Europe on 17:22 - Jul 15 with 4302 viewsyescomeon

Connah's Quay got on quite well in their away leg, losing 1-0 to a goal late on. Be interesting to see what the can manage at home. Draw for the 3rd round has been done and it's been reasonably friendly. IF, TNS can make it past APOEL (still a big if) then they will play either the Norwegian side Rosenborg or Swedish side Norrkoping - Rosenborg 3-1 up after the first leg. You'd fancy them to do okay against one of those if they are capable of negotiation the APOEL tie. If they were able to get through, Connah's Quay would play either Dinamo Minsk or St Patrick's - 1-1 after the first round. Either would be a tricky fixture but could have be worse for sure.

Upthecity!

Welsh Sides in Europe on 18:15 - Jul 15 with 4258 viewsLoyal

Welsh Sides in Europe on 00:00 - Jul 9 by morningstar

Problem TNS have is that as Welsh 'champions' they enter the Champions league qualifiers of which they have zero chance of progressing to the group stage. I believe the best a Welsh premier club has gone in any European competition is when Barry Town got through the qualifiers of the old Euro cup winners cup and got knocked out 6-4 against Aberdeen over two legs in the first round.

I remember as a kid Newport doing something in Europe way back. And Merthyr too.
I personally would love to see TNS in the group stages.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024