Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time will tell 11:58 - Aug 9 with 4480 viewsBarrySwan

But am I the only one who thinks getting £20.5m for Ayew and between £10m and £13 for Ashley Williams isn't too bad business?

Ayew came with a reported £5m to £6m signing on fee instead of a transfer fee, it's unclear whether he got that up front or whether it was linked to monthly wages and whether or not he won't now get all of it (or if there will be a settlement fee from the Swans) either way a plus £15m profit to reinvest isn't too shabby in my view.

He certainly isn't a poor player and worth a goal or two here or there but I'm not entirely sure that he ever found his best role here and £20.5m isn't a bad little sum to get a new player with who hopefully isn't looking around constantly to see if he can do 'better' at another club.

As for Ashley, what can you say, other than Swansea have had a great 8 years out of him, a rock at the back, supposedly a leader of men on and off the pitch, as determined and wholehearted as they come and a staggeringly impressive fitness record in regard to never being injured and always available.

However things will always move on at football clubs, personnel will always change as time always moves on.

Ashley is now approaching 32, for me he is still hugely responsible for those last ditch tackles and blocks which have saved a goal on so many occasions, but I would also say is a little tapped for pace and seems to get away with at least two clear cut handballs in the penalty box per game ( how I've no idea)

He obviously is still worth his place in the team but for how much longer? Perhaps just another season at most perhaps longer, nobody really knows, thats what making a call is all about.

I'm not totally confident in the alternatives, Ferdinand for me is not exactly a rock, his passing is dodgy, he concedes more fouls just outside the box due to quite obvious fouling than any central defender in the premier, Amat is clearly a decent player but prone to the odd gaffe, perhaps an extended run will highlight this trait or eradicate it from his game and who knows what the new Dutch guy is really like yet?

One thing is sure, that unfortunately none of us can hold back time and things move on.

Players will always look out for their own and their families best interests and clubs will always look after their own interests in regards to income and what the management team think is the best course of action.

I used to be really disappointed when decent players left the club now I just accept that the players will do what they feel is best for themselves and that new players will be signed who may or may not turn out to be better than those who have left for pastures new.

Life goes on at every football club whatever division they end up in.
Time will tell on 12:00 - Aug 9 with 3241 viewsTom1912

If we can replace Williams with a younger, competent CB it's been a very smart window business wise.

If we can get Chadli in too, it's been a fantastic window.
Time will tell on 12:19 - Aug 9 with 3151 viewsMorfa_Same

£13m is a good price for a 32-year old, but I also think that having Ash here for the last two years of his contract may have been worth more to us than his value in the transfer market.

£20m for Ayew is 5-10 million too low. Other clubs seem to have a knack of getting top dollar for their players that we just haven't mastered yet.
Time will tell on 12:27 - Aug 9 with 3092 viewsPegojack

Cracking post from the OP, that's how I feel too.

It'll be strange not seeing Ash in his familiar place at the heart of our back line this season, but time moves on for all of us. I remember seeing Ash make his debut for us at Gillingham in a promotion decider in March 2008 and being mighty impressed with him, he had class even then. Thanks for everything, Ash.

As for Ayew, a decent player but I'm not too bothered if Baston and/or Llorente can do the business up front. Sticking it in the net is what it's all about.
Time will tell on 12:36 - Aug 9 with 3013 viewsDr_Winston

The Ayew fee is a little low in the current market.

A £12m+ fee for an excellent but ageing Ash is a decent deal all round.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Time will tell on 12:39 - Aug 9 with 2982 viewsGoldminer

Carlisle away was his debut,
Time will tell on 12:50 - Aug 9 with 2899 viewssomersetsimon

Time will tell on 12:19 - Aug 9 by Morfa_Same

£13m is a good price for a 32-year old, but I also think that having Ash here for the last two years of his contract may have been worth more to us than his value in the transfer market.

£20m for Ayew is 5-10 million too low. Other clubs seem to have a knack of getting top dollar for their players that we just haven't mastered yet.

If a player really wants to leave and only one club is interested in buying, there's limit to how far you can push the price up. Also, with Ayew, he didn't really fit our formation, so we weren't ever going push the price so hard that West ham walked away and we were stuck with the player.
Time will tell on 12:51 - Aug 9 with 2877 viewstylagarwjack

Time will tell on 12:36 - Aug 9 by Dr_Winston

The Ayew fee is a little low in the current market.

A £12m+ fee for an excellent but ageing Ash is a decent deal all round.

Well given how important Williams has been to us we may not feel that way in the months to come. Obviously I hope that's not the case.

I know this has happened because he wants to go but with Everton's investment and a load of cash from selling Stones it would have been good to hold out for a few more million.
Time will tell on 12:53 - Aug 9 with 2850 viewsWarwickHunt

Time will tell on 12:51 - Aug 9 by tylagarwjack

Well given how important Williams has been to us we may not feel that way in the months to come. Obviously I hope that's not the case.

I know this has happened because he wants to go but with Everton's investment and a load of cash from selling Stones it would have been good to hold out for a few more million.

£12m for a 32 year old defender past his prime not daft enough for you then?
Login to get fewer ads

Time will tell on 12:55 - Aug 9 with 2821 viewstylagarwjack

Time will tell on 12:53 - Aug 9 by WarwickHunt

£12m for a 32 year old defender past his prime not daft enough for you then?

No it is not given some of the deals that have gone through this summer, Ayew was also sold low. Is he past his prime then?
Time will tell on 12:56 - Aug 9 with 2801 viewsItchySphincter

It's overdue that we look beyond Ashley Williams, no tears from me. I think Ayew is a good player but not a good Swanssa player and through no real fault of his own had a negative impact on the side. It seems to me that we've done reasonable business this window, both in terms of out/ins and finances. If we buy a new centre back even better but if we go with what we've got I'll be happy to slug it out until January to see if we still need one.

All in all a good summer personnel wise.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Time will tell on 12:57 - Aug 9 with 2787 viewsKerouac

Great business by us.

Good luck to both of them but especially Ash who I hope comes back one day in some capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Time will tell on 12:58 - Aug 9 with 2774 viewsjasper_T

Time will tell on 12:57 - Aug 9 by Kerouac

Great business by us.

Good luck to both of them but especially Ash who I hope comes back one day in some capacity.

More jobs for the boys?
Time will tell on 12:59 - Aug 9 with 2758 viewssomersetsimon

Time will tell on 12:56 - Aug 9 by ItchySphincter

It's overdue that we look beyond Ashley Williams, no tears from me. I think Ayew is a good player but not a good Swanssa player and through no real fault of his own had a negative impact on the side. It seems to me that we've done reasonable business this window, both in terms of out/ins and finances. If we buy a new centre back even better but if we go with what we've got I'll be happy to slug it out until January to see if we still need one.

I'm looking forward to the season starting, especially as most people outside the club are tipping us to go down because of our terrible transfer dealings!
Time will tell on 13:01 - Aug 9 with 2717 viewsmidswan

Cant argue with any of that.Spot on.
Time will tell on 13:01 - Aug 9 with 2723 viewstylagarwjack

Since we've been in the Prem our defensive stability has been key to our survival, not least last season, with Williams at the heart of that. Yes, we have to look past him at some point, but this is a huge loss and a huge hole to fill.

Ayew scored 12 prem goals last season and players like Mane and Wijnaldum have gone for more money than that with similar returns, Ayew may not have been a good Swansea player (I think you mean in terms of fitting into our system) but he is a very good player. I think we should have held out for more with both players.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2016 13:02]
Time will tell on 13:02 - Aug 9 with 2709 viewsswan65split

Weve had 8 good years from Ash , in my opinion, its a good deal for him and us, Payday for him and I think we have seen the best of Ash, hes hardly got off the ground in the last year or so, hence one of the reasons we were so weal at the back in the air.
Time will tell on 13:02 - Aug 9 with 2704 viewssomersetsimon

Can you place a bet on him giving away a penalty for handball when he plays against us?
Time will tell on 13:07 - Aug 9 with 2668 viewsItchySphincter

Time will tell on 13:02 - Aug 9 by somersetsimon

Can you place a bet on him giving away a penalty for handball when he plays against us?

He'll be under the spotlight now - no more bundling opposition players over his knee or accidentally on purpose handballing in the box for him now.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Time will tell on 13:07 - Aug 9 with 2666 viewsbathgatejack

Time will tell on 13:02 - Aug 9 by somersetsimon

Ayew wont be first choice at w/h come next season
Time will tell on 13:38 - Aug 9 with 2564 viewsKerouac

Time will tell on 12:58 - Aug 9 by jasper_T

More jobs for the boys?

There are 3 players that I hope are involved for years to come on the backroom team...

Leon Britton,
Angel Rangel
and
Ashley Williams.

All bright sensible boys who have proved they had what it takes at the top level.

Not the same thing as Tate, Monk, O'Leary etc.

Time will tell on 13:39 - Aug 9 with 2545 viewsClinton

Good business. Ok there's an element of risk losing our leader, but he had to go some time.
As we've always done, it's thanks and move on. And up hopefully. Trust in HJ.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Time will tell on 13:47 - Aug 9 with 2500 viewsjasper_T

Time will tell on 13:38 - Aug 9 by Kerouac

There are 3 players that I hope are involved for years to come on the backroom team...

Leon Britton,
Angel Rangel
and
Ashley Williams.

All bright sensible boys who have proved they had what it takes at the top level.

Not the same thing as Tate, Monk, O'Leary etc.

You want to send them out in a minibus with Trundle?

Monk at least had done some badges.
Time will tell on 13:48 - Aug 9 with 2489 viewsRogueTrooper

The presence of Barrow and Amat in our squad, is a reason to be optimistic about the season ahead, they are both exellent players and have deputised for Ayew and Ash without the team looking any weaker. The only worry is who will take on the mantle of leadership following Ash's departure, I'm sure there are players who can step up to the plate like he did for GM. We also have the cash to strengthen, as we did after the departure of Joe and Rodgers. McBurnie and Fulton have been performing well too.
We have had the best out of Ash and Ayew was always a shop window signing. Onwards and upwards I say.

"If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of death praying for war. But until that day you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human furcking beings! You are nothing but unorganized, grabastic pieces of amphibian sh1t! Because I am hard, you will not like me. But the more you hate me the more you will learn."

Time will tell on 14:20 - Aug 9 with 2391 viewsKerouac

Time will tell on 13:47 - Aug 9 by jasper_T

I want them to do their badges and become coaches.

...you know, like Alan Curtis.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2016 14:24]

Time will tell on 14:30 - Aug 9 with 2343 viewsswanstillidai

Time will tell on 13:47 - Aug 9 by jasper_T

Aye.

F*cking scouts activity badges!

Wib, wib, wibble.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024