Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? 12:15 - Aug 9 with 4139 viewsdobjack2

Up front with Llorente in and Borja Baston set to sign the answer is yes - compared to paloschi Eder and gomis.

Wingers - we have the return of dyer and loss of ayew. I know that ayew split opinions as a winger but that was his original role. Therefore to me the answer at this stage is no we have lost a goal threat. Ayew needs to be replaced.

Midfield - Fer replaced shelvey and has now signed permanently but Leon is a year older and there is no real back up to gylfi therefore not really.

Defence - ash has gone, so whilst Bartley going and van Der Hoorne coming in was strengthening we now need to strengthen in this area.

Goalkeeping no change but I assume all ok with this.

So I think we need at least 2 more in this window - to replace ash and ayew with possibly an alternative to gylfi.
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 17:00 - Aug 9 with 988 viewslonglostjack

If were to sign Baston and Chadli I'd definitely say that we had strengthened. I seem to remember that HJ recently said that we were looking at 2 or 3 new signings. If it remains at only 2 I'd presume that he had already factored in Ash and Ayew leaving when he made that statement. Otherwise we should expect to see one or two more through the door.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 17:15 - Aug 9 with 961 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 16:58 - Aug 9 by londonlisa2001

In most cases I would agree that we don't know until we see them.

But in this case, I really don't think it's a stretch to imagine that Llorente and Baston will be better than Gomis and Eder, or Gomis and Paloschi.

I don't think we should leave Ayew out of that comparison, since he was forced to play up front towards the end of the season. Also FG indicated earlier this summer that Ayew would be there some more this season if he had stayed.

In my opinion:

Llorente + Borja vs Gomis, Paloschi, and Ayew is a close comparison talent-wise, but we at least have two natural strikers now and aren't putting any square pegs in round holes.

Now, add Chadli to the equation and we are definitely better off this season.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 17:25 - Aug 9 with 936 viewslondonlisa2001

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 17:15 - Aug 9 by Tummer_from_Texas

I don't think we should leave Ayew out of that comparison, since he was forced to play up front towards the end of the season. Also FG indicated earlier this summer that Ayew would be there some more this season if he had stayed.

In my opinion:

Llorente + Borja vs Gomis, Paloschi, and Ayew is a close comparison talent-wise, but we at least have two natural strikers now and aren't putting any square pegs in round holes.

Now, add Chadli to the equation and we are definitely better off this season.

Yes - that's fair.

But I can't think of a time I've been so 'meh' about one of our top performers leaving the club as I am about Ayew.

I don't know why - he showed some really good stuff last season, but I am struggling to be bothered that he's gone, even to West Ham, who are pretty much the only club I actually really dislike rather than have no opinion on. (Cardiff obviously, but that's different).
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 17:31 - Aug 9 with 929 viewspikeypaul

The one thing and probably the most important which no one has mentioned is
that Franco will be more settled this year and have more
Experience of the EPL and it will be his team and formation.

Borja and another quality CB and I will happy

Kingsley and Barrow will both have benefited from last season and
the team will be better for it.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 17:52 - Aug 9 with 890 viewsjasper_T

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 17:25 - Aug 9 by londonlisa2001

Yes - that's fair.

But I can't think of a time I've been so 'meh' about one of our top performers leaving the club as I am about Ayew.

I don't know why - he showed some really good stuff last season, but I am struggling to be bothered that he's gone, even to West Ham, who are pretty much the only club I actually really dislike rather than have no opinion on. (Cardiff obviously, but that's different).

It's because he was already out of the ideal starting lineup and because he's been agitating to go since he arrived.
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 18:44 - Aug 9 with 815 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 17:25 - Aug 9 by londonlisa2001

Yes - that's fair.

He never seemed likely to stay long and most fans sensed this. Not bothered at all, just excited at our new spanish strike force!!!

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 19:18 - Aug 9 with 770 viewsangryjack

why is everyone saying we better off with llorente and baston when we not signed baston yet,and you will never know until we play a season with him if we better off
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 19:23 - Aug 9 with 759 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 19:18 - Aug 9 by angryjack

why is everyone saying we better off with llorente and baston when we not signed baston yet,and you will never know until we play a season with him if we better off

You could apply that "we haven't played a season with him yet" logic no matter who we sign. This thread called for speculation, so that's what we're doing.

In the end, somebody else is paying Gomis' wages this season. So that's already a strong indication that we're better off.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2016 19:30]

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Login to get fewer ads

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 19:24 - Aug 9 with 758 viewsAngelRangelQS

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 19:18 - Aug 9 by angryjack

Well it's pretty much nailed on that he's signing isn't it?

They can't be any worse than Gomis, Eder and Paloschi
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 19:39 - Aug 9 with 728 viewsangryjack

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 19:24 - Aug 9 by AngelRangelQS

Well it's pretty much nailed on that he's signing isn't it?

They can't be any worse than Gomis, Eder and Paloschi

maybe but imo dont think eder was given a chance.centre forwards need a good 5 game run to be given a chance and he never got it
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 19:43 - Aug 9 with 722 viewsdobjack2

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 19:39 - Aug 9 by angryjack

maybe but imo dont think eder was given a chance.centre forwards need a good 5 game run to be given a chance and he never got it

He never got it from Monk, Curt or Guidolin.

There has to be a reason why the 3 of them wouldn't play him.
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 20:06 - Aug 9 with 684 viewsangryjack

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 19:43 - Aug 9 by dobjack2

sh$t managers
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 20:42 - Aug 9 with 659 viewsFireboy

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 19:43 - Aug 9 by dobjack2

Attitude I would guess

But what's annoying is he showed how good he could be in the euros
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 20:48 - Aug 9 with 647 viewsdobjack2

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 20:06 - Aug 9 by angryjack

sh$t managers

Of course
[Post edited 9 Aug 2016 20:49]
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 20:50 - Aug 9 with 644 viewsDr_Winston

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 20:42 - Aug 9 by Fireboy

Attitude I would guess

Doubtful how much say Curt or Guidolin had in the matter, and judging any player working under Monk/Beattie would be harsh.

He was gone a matter of days after FG took over, much too soon for him to have had a decent look at him. Almost as if someone was looking to move him on in January regardless and didn't want him injured.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 20:51 - Aug 9 with 628 viewsdobjack2

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 20:42 - Aug 9 by Fireboy

Attitude I would guess

Quite possibly
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 21:44 - Aug 9 with 586 viewsangryjack

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 20:51 - Aug 9 by dobjack2

Quite possibly

like i said wasnt given chance a fair run ..
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 21:47 - Aug 9 with 576 viewsangryjack

Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 20:48 - Aug 9 by dobjack2

Of course
[Post edited 9 Aug 2016 20:49]

serious
Have we strengthened the squad so far this window? on 09:16 - Aug 10 with 487 viewsAussieSwan

As others have said, if we seal the deal for Baston and then get Chadli as well then we have definitely strengthened.

Signing a right back would top it all off

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024