Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can't watch any of the posted videos 08:24 - Aug 12 with 7871 viewsDewi1jack

Guessing this problem has been answered numerous times, but the search function on here isn't coming up with anything.

I can't watch any of the videos posted.
Settings are to "images and videos shown" but just getting a black patch with nothing on it.
Can't see any other settings to adjust
Was watching them up to the last weekend
No problem watching on any other sites eg you tube and the like.
AV programmes haven't blocked it as far as I can tell. That and they'd block all sites wouldn't they?.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Will check everything tonight and try and sort it out

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 09:12 - Aug 12 with 6388 viewsSwansNZ

Was like this for me in work today, using Firefox.

On iPad now, and is ok.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 20:13 - Aug 12 with 6351 viewsalltjack

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 09:12 - Aug 12 by SwansNZ

Was like this for me in work today, using Firefox.

On iPad now, and is ok.

Same here just black screen
Can't watch any of the posted videos on 20:49 - Aug 12 with 6326 viewsmorningstar

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 20:13 - Aug 12 by alltjack

And me!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 20:53 - Aug 12 with 6317 viewsSwansNZ

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 20:13 - Aug 12 by alltjack

Mine is ok on firefox on my home laptop, but not in work yesterday.

What browser are you using?

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 21:00 - Aug 12 with 6302 viewsmorningstar

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 20:53 - Aug 12 by SwansNZ

Mine is ok on firefox on my home laptop, but not in work yesterday.

What browser are you using?

I'm using my eyes, but i do wear reading glasses.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 21:09 - Aug 12 with 6290 viewsSwansNZ

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 21:00 - Aug 12 by morningstar

I'm using my eyes, but i do wear reading glasses.

Give them a clean, see if that fixes it

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 23:31 - Aug 12 with 6215 viewsmalagajack

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 20:49 - Aug 12 by morningstar

And me!

same here too
Can't watch any of the posted videos on 23:47 - Aug 12 with 6206 viewsmysonsarejacks

Me too - Chromebook

Poll: John Terry transfer ?

Login to get fewer ads

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 00:21 - Aug 13 with 6198 viewsJack123

Black patch for me as well.. Using Chrome on pc, but the videos are playing normal via mobile.

libera nos a malo

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 03:16 - Aug 13 with 6174 viewsDJack

As some browsers and some sites are "phasing out" or just plain blocking Flash (they're switching to HTML 5) it may be your browser version or possibly a browser settings issue.

*disclaimer...I ain't no techie, I've just caught a few titbits about flash/html 5 change online.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 00:29 - Aug 14 with 6075 viewsStarsky

All ok here on iPad

It's just the internet, init.

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 10:14 - Aug 14 with 6019 viewsjacktar

Same for me using Chrome browser on PC. If I switch to Firefox all is fine, but I want to use Chrome

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 10:30 - Aug 14 with 6009 viewsphact0rri

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 03:16 - Aug 13 by DJack

As some browsers and some sites are "phasing out" or just plain blocking Flash (they're switching to HTML 5) it may be your browser version or possibly a browser settings issue.

*disclaimer...I ain't no techie, I've just caught a few titbits about flash/html 5 change online.

Chrome is going to block all flash in the newest update... but pretty sure they are the only one. However it would depend. because youtube videos are html5 and most the videos posted here are youtube I believe?

I used firefox when chrome was blocking flash earlier today and it worked well. I believe firefox will limit some flash that is not essential content(sort of like chrome has been doing over the last year). I don't use firefox a lot, but I reckon I'll be using it more here on in for flash reasons.

But to verify if its flash or all videos here's a youtube video which would be html5

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 10:46 - Aug 14 with 5993 viewsphact0rri

Actually I am incorrect about youtube videos. As when they are posted here they are loading with a flash player not the normal html5. why they is the case I have no idea.

It becomes more confused if people view them fine on ipad which doesn't run flash natively. strange....

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 11:12 - Aug 14 with 5983 viewsLord_Bony

The tech fellas have been working on it.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 12:13 - Aug 14 with 5936 viewsDewi1jack

Thanks all.
Swapped back to using Firefox and no problems/ blocks.

Looks like Phactorri is right

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 22:06 - Aug 14 with 5868 viewsLord_Bony

Looks like this recent problem is here to stay for a while especially with YouTube videos.

The following is part quote from site support,I'm sure they wouldn't mind me quoting them just to clarify the situation...

"It's affecting some people but not others then. It looks like some browsers have banned the use of flash, but as we're only using iframes it's up to youtube to detect which browser you use and provide the appropriate code. It looks like it's out of our control but it's affecting a lot of people ..."

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 20:33 - Aug 16 with 5732 viewsploppy

I've been looking into this. There's loads of reports on the interwebs of YouTube videos not playing - especially in forums (fora?)

I think the answer's here
https://developers.google.com/youtube/player_parameters
which is linked to from here
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/1vxJ7eHZeRY

It appears that the code being used to to embed the video is using an old style format which was deprecated by Google in 2015 - and as those of us in the biz know, once something is deprecated by a vendor it's wise to stop using it immediately because it'll normally stop working pretty damn soon afterwards. It appears that Google (YouTube) have recently (in the last couple of weeks) stopped supporting the deprecated style link so the videos don't work anymore. The explanation in the first link is quite clear and Google have done it for very good reasons - amongst other things so that the server can decide whether to serve up html5 video or flash.

What confuses me is that our FAQ is quite clear on how to embed videos - it says you need to use the watch?v=abcdefg parameter format. However, when I try and embed a video using this format, and preview the post, it's embedded the deprecated <object> style format - and it doesn't work. So I guess (and it's just a guess) that the code that produces the previewable (and posted) post is parsing the link in the post and creating an old style link. And naturally it doesn't work.

So the question is how to fix it. This is beyond my expertise I'm afraid and I don't know what product the forum is based upon. Even if there is an update to that product to fix this issue I don't know whether it'll fix posts already made, or just future ones.

Anyone know more?
[Post edited 16 Aug 2016 20:35]
Can't watch any of the posted videos on 21:25 - Aug 16 with 5695 viewsploppy

OK I know some more.

I'm using Chrome on a MacBook Pro. I inspected the html element that represents the video posted by phactorri above, and sure enough it's an old style <object> tag and specifies a flash video. It doesn't work - but we know that already.

I inserted a new html element - an <iframe> as specified in the first link I posted above, specifying the video that phactorri tried to embed, but using the new parameter format. It works - and guess what? It serves up an html5 version of the video (without specifying it, which I guess is the whole point).
[Post edited 16 Aug 2016 21:27]
Can't watch any of the posted videos on 21:58 - Aug 16 with 5678 viewsphact0rri

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 21:25 - Aug 16 by ploppy

OK I know some more.

I'm using Chrome on a MacBook Pro. I inspected the html element that represents the video posted by phactorri above, and sure enough it's an old style <object> tag and specifies a flash video. It doesn't work - but we know that already.

I inserted a new html element - an <iframe> as specified in the first link I posted above, specifying the video that phactorri tried to embed, but using the new parameter format. It works - and guess what? It serves up an html5 version of the video (without specifying it, which I guess is the whole point).
[Post edited 16 Aug 2016 21:27]

*nods* yeah I got the same results when I look at it, that the server is serving the old embed script from like 2007. Not sure if the iframe service for videos is an extended function or hard baked into the server script. But it shouldn't be difficult to fix if they wanted to. :)

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 22:04 - Aug 16 with 5666 viewsClinton

If logged in, On your planetswans screen, top right click 'settings'
Click 'site settings' tab
Set ' pictures and videos shown'

Strangely that fixed it on my iPad, but I still had problems on the PC

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 22:04 - Aug 16 with 5666 viewsploppy

I contacted support at fansnetwork and pointed them to my posts. They replied:

"I’ll have a look at this tomorrow and hopefully will be fixed before the day is out"

Sounds promising.
Can't watch any of the posted videos on 22:07 - Aug 16 with 5663 viewsSupport

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 20:33 - Aug 16 by ploppy

I've been looking into this. There's loads of reports on the interwebs of YouTube videos not playing - especially in forums (fora?)

I think the answer's here
https://developers.google.com/youtube/player_parameters
which is linked to from here
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/1vxJ7eHZeRY

It appears that the code being used to to embed the video is using an old style format which was deprecated by Google in 2015 - and as those of us in the biz know, once something is deprecated by a vendor it's wise to stop using it immediately because it'll normally stop working pretty damn soon afterwards. It appears that Google (YouTube) have recently (in the last couple of weeks) stopped supporting the deprecated style link so the videos don't work anymore. The explanation in the first link is quite clear and Google have done it for very good reasons - amongst other things so that the server can decide whether to serve up html5 video or flash.

What confuses me is that our FAQ is quite clear on how to embed videos - it says you need to use the watch?v=abcdefg parameter format. However, when I try and embed a video using this format, and preview the post, it's embedded the deprecated <object> style format - and it doesn't work. So I guess (and it's just a guess) that the code that produces the previewable (and posted) post is parsing the link in the post and creating an old style link. And naturally it doesn't work.

So the question is how to fix it. This is beyond my expertise I'm afraid and I don't know what product the forum is based upon. Even if there is an update to that product to fix this issue I don't know whether it'll fix posts already made, or just future ones.

Anyone know more?
[Post edited 16 Aug 2016 20:35]

Thanks for the info. I was convinced we were using iframe already which is why I was confident it was YTs error and not ours. It was an easy fix so I've done it this evening.

Thanks again.

Poll: Does my bum look big in this?

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 22:13 - Aug 16 with 5643 viewsSwansNZ

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 22:07 - Aug 16 by Support

Thanks for the info. I was convinced we were using iframe already which is why I was confident it was YTs error and not ours. It was an easy fix so I've done it this evening.

Thanks again.

Looks good now

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 22:21 - Aug 16 with 5636 viewsploppy

Can't watch any of the posted videos on 22:07 - Aug 16 by Support

Thanks again.

Most excellent! Cheers for that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024