Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
10k run 05:15 - Aug 29 with 1555 viewst1000

Anyone have any tips - training plans - places in swansea to train
10k run on 06:17 - Aug 29 with 1542 viewsStarsky

Carry some Vaseline for your nipples.
Consider running round the big lake in Llansamlet (enterprise zone) I reckon 5 or 6 laps of that is about 10k

It's just the internet, init.

10k run on 07:23 - Aug 29 with 1524 viewsjack247

Run the route of the Swansea 10k (cenotaph to mumbles square) it's ideal for training because it's flat and you start and finish in the same place, so you can go a shorter distance. But as mentioned above, the lake in Llansamlet is good too. One lap around the outside is just under 3k, not sure how far it is inside, I'd guess about half that.

Don't try running 10k straight off the bat, it will ruin you, but you will build up to it quite quickly. Try 2k to start with and build up over a couple of runs. You will probably find that once you can do 5-6k, you can just keep on going and will build up easily.

First few hundred metres can be tough and you may feel out of breath, but you quickly get into a rhythm and it's fine.

Stretch before and after. If you have time, do a short, brisk walk so your muscles aren't cold.
10k run on 07:24 - Aug 29 with 1522 viewsJackfath

10k run on 07:23 - Aug 29 by jack247

Run the route of the Swansea 10k (cenotaph to mumbles square) it's ideal for training because it's flat and you start and finish in the same place, so you can go a shorter distance. But as mentioned above, the lake in Llansamlet is good too. One lap around the outside is just under 3k, not sure how far it is inside, I'd guess about half that.

Don't try running 10k straight off the bat, it will ruin you, but you will build up to it quite quickly. Try 2k to start with and build up over a couple of runs. You will probably find that once you can do 5-6k, you can just keep on going and will build up easily.

First few hundred metres can be tough and you may feel out of breath, but you quickly get into a rhythm and it's fine.

Stretch before and after. If you have time, do a short, brisk walk so your muscles aren't cold.

I thought the lake was a mile (1.6k) around the path?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

10k run on 07:37 - Aug 29 with 1510 viewsjack247

10k run on 07:24 - Aug 29 by Jackfath

I thought the lake was a mile (1.6k) around the path?

Yeah I'd say it's about that. By the outside I meant running on the pavement along Phoenix Way, Valley Way etc around the lake.
10k run on 07:44 - Aug 29 with 1504 viewsJackfath

10k run on 07:37 - Aug 29 by jack247

Yeah I'd say it's about that. By the outside I meant running on the pavement along Phoenix Way, Valley Way etc around the lake.

Yes, I'd say you're about right there.

A good tool to use is

http://www.mapmyrun.com/

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

10k run on 07:57 - Aug 29 with 1481 viewsjack247

10k run on 07:44 - Aug 29 by Jackfath

Yes, I'd say you're about right there.

A good tool to use is

http://www.mapmyrun.com/

Yep, good tip. Anyone just starting off should definitely use map my run or strava or something to track their improvement and for motivation
10k run on 08:07 - Aug 29 with 1472 viewswaynekerr55

10k run on 07:23 - Aug 29 by jack247

Full body stretching and core stability work will be critical. Look at your diet too. Avoid supplements (other than cod liver oil, multivitamins and glucosamine) as 10k isn't a distance long enough to burn serious calories. Also avoid sports drinks, use water as again these are laden with sugar.

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

10k run on 08:08 - Aug 29 with 1471 viewsAndy1300

I signed up for the 10 k and joined the Paul popham running club 3 weeks ago.
They do various groups based on ability.
We meet at the 360 on Sunday at 9am and Wednesday 6pm.
They run along the prom and also do hill training.
Yesterday I did a 5 mile run with hill training in 45 mins according to strava, I hadn't run for about 35 years.
Cycling for a year has certainly helped with fitness but boy did I ache after my 1st 2 sessions

Number 1 team in Wales

Login to get fewer ads

10k run on 08:41 - Aug 29 with 1440 viewscontroversial_jack

10k run on 08:08 - Aug 29 by Andy1300

I signed up for the 10 k and joined the Paul popham running club 3 weeks ago.
They do various groups based on ability.
We meet at the 360 on Sunday at 9am and Wednesday 6pm.
They run along the prom and also do hill training.
Yesterday I did a 5 mile run with hill training in 45 mins according to strava, I hadn't run for about 35 years.
Cycling for a year has certainly helped with fitness but boy did I ache after my 1st 2 sessions

Don't run on hard surfaces as it could bugger your knees up, especially as you get a bit older.
10k run on 09:34 - Aug 29 with 1401 viewsJackfath

10k run on 08:41 - Aug 29 by controversial_jack

Don't run on hard surfaces as it could bugger your knees up, especially as you get a bit older.

Run on soft surface and bugger up your achilles.

10k run on 09:38 - Aug 29 with 1397 viewscontroversial_jack

10k run on 09:34 - Aug 29 by Jackfath

Run on soft surface and bugger up your achilles.

Knee damage is permanent
10k run on 23:34 - Aug 29 with 1294 viewsStarsky

10k run on 09:38 - Aug 29 by controversial_jack

Knee damage is permanent

Tell me about it

10k run on 00:01 - Aug 30 with 1284 viewsmonmouth

10k run on 08:41 - Aug 29 by controversial_jack

Edit: not to tempt fate as per CJ post below!

I would say, do core and specific strengthening and develop a good running form...that in itself will protect your knees and hips. Most problems come from poor footstrike or misaligned joints (or stupid overengineered shoes) or bad posture. To do your absolute best at 10k you need to be running at the limit of your comfort (at 'threshold'), but to just get round, start slow and maintain that pace. As said, Swansea 10k loop is a great practice. I miss it...too many frigging hills up here.

Oh and you get slower and fatter as you get older too, so enjoy it now.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2016 12:26]

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

10k run on 07:21 - Aug 30 with 1236 viewsmarchamjack

Started running just over 2 years ago and gone from running a mile or so (and feeling quite knackered) to doing my first Ultra last month.

Main tips for starting out that worked for me :

- put Vaseline on your feet (I've never had a single blister, even on the recent ultra);
- forget worrying about a time/how long it takes you. Just run to whatever pace suits you, you'll enjoy it more then if you haven't got a time on your mind;
- doing laps of the same circuit has never worked for me, going past the same sights 2/3 times, boring, soul destroying...I've always run circular routes (start and finish same place) or linear routes;
- get a garmin/tomtom watch to record your runs as that gives you some motivation to actually run it faster next time or just to marvel at how far you've run on a map basis;
- get good running shoes (road running and trail/off road need different shoes really);
- run with someone if you can, more fun, more motivational (there's 2/3 of us go running and we always end up in the local for a beer);
- enter a race (say one around November from here), say 5k first, to aim at and then there's a target for you. Don't worry/be scared, you will not be last ! The running community is the friendliest of any sport I've come across so you'll be fine. Build up from there to 10k;
- take a running bottle with you (one with a built in handle into the grip) to stay hydrated;
- enjoy! Love running now from a lifetime (I'm 50) of loving sport (football, squash mainly) but hating running I thought.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

10k run on 09:14 - Aug 30 with 1208 viewsSwans9

10k run on 07:21 - Aug 30 by marchamjack

Started running just over 2 years ago and gone from running a mile or so (and feeling quite knackered) to doing my first Ultra last month.

Main tips for starting out that worked for me :

- put Vaseline on your feet (I've never had a single blister, even on the recent ultra);
- forget worrying about a time/how long it takes you. Just run to whatever pace suits you, you'll enjoy it more then if you haven't got a time on your mind;
- doing laps of the same circuit has never worked for me, going past the same sights 2/3 times, boring, soul destroying...I've always run circular routes (start and finish same place) or linear routes;
- get a garmin/tomtom watch to record your runs as that gives you some motivation to actually run it faster next time or just to marvel at how far you've run on a map basis;
- get good running shoes (road running and trail/off road need different shoes really);
- run with someone if you can, more fun, more motivational (there's 2/3 of us go running and we always end up in the local for a beer);
- enter a race (say one around November from here), say 5k first, to aim at and then there's a target for you. Don't worry/be scared, you will not be last ! The running community is the friendliest of any sport I've come across so you'll be fine. Build up from there to 10k;
- take a running bottle with you (one with a built in handle into the grip) to stay hydrated;
- enjoy! Love running now from a lifetime (I'm 50) of loving sport (football, squash mainly) but hating running I thought.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Make sure you turn up. If it's hot look for the guy with a water hose at around the 5 and a half k mark. I am doing it but haven't started training yet. The only good thing about not being ready is you pace yourself.
10k run on 09:26 - Aug 30 with 1199 viewsJackfath

Perhaps you could advise.

I am incredibly stiff in my legs and hips. Been diagnosed with "Gilmore's Groin" which doesnt help. My hamstrings etc are very very tight which limits my ability to run comfortably.

What could one do - any advice on stretches etc?

10k run on 09:52 - Aug 30 with 1175 viewscontroversial_jack

10k run on 00:01 - Aug 30 by monmouth

Edit: not to tempt fate as per CJ post below!

I would say, do core and specific strengthening and develop a good running form...that in itself will protect your knees and hips. Most problems come from poor footstrike or misaligned joints (or stupid overengineered shoes) or bad posture. To do your absolute best at 10k you need to be running at the limit of your comfort (at 'threshold'), but to just get round, start slow and maintain that pace. As said, Swansea 10k loop is a great practice. I miss it...too many frigging hills up here.

Oh and you get slower and fatter as you get older too, so enjoy it now.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2016 12:26]

I ran on roads for 4 months and it f*cked my knees up.
10k run on 11:19 - Aug 30 with 1140 viewswaynekerr55

10k run on 09:26 - Aug 30 by Jackfath

I am incredibly stiff in my legs and hips. Been diagnosed with "Gilmore's Groin" which doesnt help. My hamstrings etc are very very tight which limits my ability to run comfortably.

Whole body stretching - as much as possible

3 sets each joint hold the stretch so that it's uncomfortable.

Core stability and look at your running technique

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

10k run on 12:26 - Aug 30 with 1097 viewsmonmouth

10k run on 09:26 - Aug 30 by Jackfath

Don't run. Swim.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

10k run on 14:48 - Aug 30 with 1033 viewsStarsky

10k run on 09:52 - Aug 30 by controversial_jack

I ran on roads for 4 months and it f*cked my knees up.

What exactly?
Ligaments or cartilage

10k run on 15:56 - Aug 30 with 1009 viewscontroversial_jack

10k run on 14:48 - Aug 30 by Starsky

What exactly?
Ligaments or cartilage

It's mechanical damage to the joints, not muscular or ligaments. Wear and tear and advancing years
10k run on 17:46 - Aug 30 with 956 viewstrampie

Fartlek your way around.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024