Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crossing 09:41 - Aug 31 with 2151 viewsmacthejack

What's with this sudden obsession with crossing?

It must be a relic from the reign of Garry Monk because the Swans I remember never relied heavily on crossing. In our best spell we played with wingers who couldn't cross the f*cking road. We always used to work the ball into the box through clever passing and movement or a winger would get to the by-line after beating their man or having a ball slip inside by the full-back and cut it back in the box.

I think it points to the fact that our passing style has still deserted us if we're truly relying on whipping cross after cross into our target man in the hope he'll nod one in. We still desperately need to get back to the short, and most importantly QUICK passing game we had, using our striker as a lynch pin for others to buzz around not as a bruiser desperately trying to get on the end of terrible crosses with three defenders on his back.
Crossing on 09:43 - Aug 31 with 2135 viewstherealme

You're damn right the passing style has deserted us, its gone to pieces

And we have a big dude as a target man up front that can only score with his head

That's why

Francesco's black and white army ⚪️⚫️

Crossing on 09:51 - Aug 31 with 2105 viewsjack247

It's because we signed a 6'5 and a 6'3 striker, along with the fact that Siggy is unfit, Routledge is bang out of form and neither Barrow or Montero are suited to the short, sharp passing game.

I'd love us to get back to that style of play, but we would need to sign a couple of players suited to it.
Crossing on 10:11 - Aug 31 with 2029 viewsJango

It's not just about crossing, it's about getting the ball into the box, be it with a great cross or a clever ball into feet or to run onto, none of which our current wide players seem to be able to do.
Crossing on 10:18 - Aug 31 with 2006 viewsLegend83

I think with work and desire we can get back to the old style as Llorente definitely showed against Burnley he has the required touch and ability to lay-off - what we don't have currently is anyone close enough to him to get on the end of his one-touches.

Barrow and Montero are touch-line huggers so need to mix their game up a bit. Routledge and Dyer are the better proponents of the inside-wing play but are past their best and Siggy is woefully short of form.

I actually think someone like Valencia would be positive step as he is Ayew-like in that he can play wide but likes to come inside close to the striker.
Crossing on 10:24 - Aug 31 with 1987 viewsPrivate_Partz

Crossing on 10:18 - Aug 31 by Legend83

I think with work and desire we can get back to the old style as Llorente definitely showed against Burnley he has the required touch and ability to lay-off - what we don't have currently is anyone close enough to him to get on the end of his one-touches.

Barrow and Montero are touch-line huggers so need to mix their game up a bit. Routledge and Dyer are the better proponents of the inside-wing play but are past their best and Siggy is woefully short of form.

I actually think someone like Valencia would be positive step as he is Ayew-like in that he can play wide but likes to come inside close to the striker.

Good post. Llorente was excellent at Burnley and it was his effort that led to the goal. Against Hull he was trying to lay the ball off with his back to goal and the players around him were not reading this. One of the problems in signing players on late on in the close season. It is far too early to dismiss this guy as a duffer.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Crossing on 10:26 - Aug 31 with 1976 viewsHighjack

Crossing is more effective when you have more than one person in the box. It's no coincidence that the goals we have scored came when we were brave enough to get 3 or 4 people in there. Llorente as good as he is in the air has no to little chance when surrounded by 5 defenders.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Crossing on 10:28 - Aug 31 with 1970 viewsLegend83

Crossing on 10:24 - Aug 31 by Private_Partz

Good post. Llorente was excellent at Burnley and it was his effort that led to the goal. Against Hull he was trying to lay the ball off with his back to goal and the players around him were not reading this. One of the problems in signing players on late on in the close season. It is far too early to dismiss this guy as a duffer.

Agreed.

Despite overwhelming past evidence to the contrary, so many fans expect the likes of Llorente et al to just fit in straight away forgetting that he has been in the squad for best part of 3 weeks.
Crossing on 10:30 - Aug 31 with 1965 viewsjack247

Crossing on 10:26 - Aug 31 by Highjack

Crossing is more effective when you have more than one person in the box. It's no coincidence that the goals we have scored came when we were brave enough to get 3 or 4 people in there. Llorente as good as he is in the air has no to little chance when surrounded by 5 defenders.

Exactly. Defenders marking Gomis was a big factor in a few of Ayews goals. Still a bit sceptical about playing two strikers though
Login to get fewer ads

Crossing on 10:35 - Aug 31 with 1945 viewsmonmouth

yeah, I read somewhere that we rely more on crossing than any other team now. If you buy a 6'5" (?) bloke who's scored around 60% of his goals with his nut, I suppose that's what you get.

I also read that we'd created more clear cut chances than any other team...so go figure.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Crossing on 10:45 - Aug 31 with 1918 viewsClinton

Crossing on 10:35 - Aug 31 by monmouth

yeah, I read somewhere that we rely more on crossing than any other team now. If you buy a 6'5" (?) bloke who's scored around 60% of his goals with his nut, I suppose that's what you get.

I also read that we'd created more clear cut chances than any other team...so go figure.

Llorente has already missed a couple of sitters this season. Also a couple in pre-season. Hes not the lethal poacher Id hoped for.
Still time mind, all players take time to adjust to the Premier League.
BTW a lot of the really big money signings made by other teams will disappoint in the short run, I can see a lot of fans of other clubs wondering where the money went as they sit towards the bottom with a misfiring big money player strugging to adjust.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Crossing on 10:52 - Aug 31 with 1894 viewsLandore_Jack

We desperately need a creative midfield player.

#backtojack

Crossing on 12:22 - Aug 31 with 1797 viewsJackFish

Exactly.
Crossing on 13:37 - Aug 31 with 1709 viewskarnataka

So is that down to our coach's overcautious gameplan then? Players maybe under instruction not to desert their shape by venturing too far forward leaving us vulnerable to a quick counter?

Fer has already shown that he is capable of getting maybe 8-10 goals this season by getting into the box to help the target man out and I hope he does but others need to get in there and contribute as well. I really hope Borja lives up to expectations but will we see him and Llorente together giving opposition defenders more to think about?
Crossing on 13:46 - Aug 31 with 1686 viewsjasper_T

We used to use wide players who could play without the ball; making runs in between and behind defences to open up space and create chances. Intelligent movement off the ball was the biggest factor in our attacking success.

Now we're relying on wingers that can only play with the ball in Montero and Barrow. They wait on the touchline with the defence between them and goal, so there is a far greater onus on their ability to beat men one on one and put in crosses from out wide.

The wings aren;t the only areas we've lost that kind of ability, it's just the most obvious.
Crossing on 14:02 - Aug 31 with 1657 viewskarnataka

Crossing on 13:46 - Aug 31 by jasper_T

We used to use wide players who could play without the ball; making runs in between and behind defences to open up space and create chances. Intelligent movement off the ball was the biggest factor in our attacking success.

Now we're relying on wingers that can only play with the ball in Montero and Barrow. They wait on the touchline with the defence between them and goal, so there is a far greater onus on their ability to beat men one on one and put in crosses from out wide.

The wings aren;t the only areas we've lost that kind of ability, it's just the most obvious.

"We used to use wide players who could play without the ball; making runs in between and behind defences to open up space and create chances."

Weren't those players Routledge and Dyer?
Crossing on 14:07 - Aug 31 with 1647 viewsjack247

Crossing on 14:02 - Aug 31 by karnataka

"We used to use wide players who could play without the ball; making runs in between and behind defences to open up space and create chances."

Weren't those players Routledge and Dyer?

This place would revolt if we started Routledge and Dyer

But yes, Routledge, Dyer, Hernandez. None of them anywhere near prolific or good crossers. Played their part in a comparatively successful and entertaining team though. I guess there is more focus on the wingers without a Michu or a Bony
Crossing on 14:13 - Aug 31 with 1638 viewsgiantstoneater

Crossing on 10:52 - Aug 31 by Landore_Jack

We desperately need a creative midfield player.

The shortest post on here but its what we need!!!
Crossing on 14:25 - Aug 31 with 1618 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

On a related point, has Guidolin ever given his thoughts on how we wants us to play since he arrived? Do we even know what he's aiming for? his style of play, tactics, formation, dare I say it...philosophy? Or has he just been told how we're going to play and he's just there to make a few subs and do the media?

Maybe the language issue means he never gets asked questions like that.

Monk (bless his cotton socks) often talked about his....way...of doing things , Laudrup talked a lot about how he wanted us to play, Rogers also. With Guidolin I can't recall anything apart from bland generalisms. It'd be welcome to have him do a detailed interview in italian for translation with his views on developing the team and tactics/style of play.
We seem a bit purposeless at times, lacking vision. Interested in whether that's Guidolin being sh*t or Guidolin being shackled by Huw & co.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Crossing on 14:27 - Aug 31 with 1614 viewsPozuelosSideys

Crossing on 09:51 - Aug 31 by jack247

It's because we signed a 6'5 and a 6'3 striker, along with the fact that Siggy is unfit, Routledge is bang out of form and neither Barrow or Montero are suited to the short, sharp passing game.

I'd love us to get back to that style of play, but we would need to sign a couple of players suited to it.

Id argue the only players we have in our first 11 capable of playing that sort of game are Gylfi and maybe Routledge & Ki. None of the others are suitable imo

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Crossing on 14:31 - Aug 31 with 1607 viewsSmellyplumz

Crossing on 14:25 - Aug 31 by FearOfAJackPlanet

On a related point, has Guidolin ever given his thoughts on how we wants us to play since he arrived? Do we even know what he's aiming for? his style of play, tactics, formation, dare I say it...philosophy? Or has he just been told how we're going to play and he's just there to make a few subs and do the media?

Maybe the language issue means he never gets asked questions like that.

Monk (bless his cotton socks) often talked about his....way...of doing things , Laudrup talked a lot about how he wanted us to play, Rogers also. With Guidolin I can't recall anything apart from bland generalisms. It'd be welcome to have him do a detailed interview in italian for translation with his views on developing the team and tactics/style of play.
We seem a bit purposeless at times, lacking vision. Interested in whether that's Guidolin being sh*t or Guidolin being shackled by Huw & co.

Good post and the same point I made in the match day thread on Saturday, what is he trying to get us to do because it's not vat attacking Italian football.

""Although I cannot promise or predict the future, I can guarantee one thing - the current board of directors will always fight, as we have done over the last 12 years, to work together as one with the Supporters Trust to make 100% sure that Swansea City football club remains the number one priority in all our thoughts and in every decision we make."
Poll: Huw Jenkins

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024