Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Life in albums 15:26 - Sep 5 with 9399 viewsyescomeon

Seen a few music threads on here so thought I'd go for it. Been listening to loads of music the last few months kicked off by being asked what my top 20 albums of all time are. I thought a more interesting list of albums is albums that define a point in time of your life. Top 20 can be impersonal as I think people tend to pick albums to make themselves look cool. Anyway, warts and all mine would be something like:

Lou Reed - Transformer
Ian Dury - Do it Yourself (deluxe edition)

First 2 are from the car with my old man, if I was including compilations it would probably be different.

Blink 182 - Take of Your Pants and Jacket
Papa Roach - Infest
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Standard albums from my early teenage years a cringy time looking back but very nostalgic listening to them now.

Muse - Origin of Symetry

Really important album, around the time I started playing guitar, if you were in a band you wanted to play songs from this album.

Led Zepplin - IV
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd

The 2 most important albums from the 2 most important artists from my delving into classic rock, influenced by the guitar.

The Darkness - Permission to Land
The Datsuns - The Datsuns
Wolfmother - Wolfmother
Jet - Get Born

Current (at the time) albums that got a lot of play time. These 4 and the 2 above I would play along on the guitar start to finish at least once a week back in the day. The Darkness one is embarrassing looking back but fun to play on the guitar and a funny album.

Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman I'm a Machine

Beast of an album, pretty much the reason I re-stringed my brothers old bass right handed.

Arctitc Monkeys - Whatever People Say I am Thats What I'm not

Perfect album at the perfect time for me, completely related to the songs like nothing I'd listened to before, think I'm pretty much the same age as Alex Turner.

Louis XIV - The Best Little Secrets are Kept (UK version)

No idea how this band weren't better known, this is easily one of my favorite albums ever, and it felt like my own personal album as I never met anyone else who knew it unless I showed it to them.

Audio Bullies - Ego War

Awesome album, really takes me back to a specific period, different to everything so far, it was a time when I was discovering electronic music. A mate from that time would listen to these guys almost exclusively for a time. Defo a big album from back in the day.

Justice - Cross
Digitalism - Idealism

In the same vein as above but by 2007 I was in full electronic music mode and the guitar was gathering dust. Cross was for me was what I assume Daft Punk - Discovery was for the generation before. That and idealism were the albums on in the car on the way to parties.

Miami Horror - Illumination
Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours

Blank space for albums for uni as I was pretty much just listening to singles/eps I would find on blogs. The two above are albums from that time that were usually on in the car on the drive back from Swansea to Pembs.

That's it, in a more or less chronological order. Disclaimer: that's defo not my list of 20 best albums or anything, probably only Lou Reed, Muse, Led Zepplin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Wolfmother, Arctitc Monkeys, Justice would be in that conversation.

Be interested to see others lists. On a real hunt for music at the moment.

Upthecity!

Life in albums on 19:20 - Sep 5 with 7433 viewsperchrockjack

Wow.

Id like to post what is dear to me without the contents being subject to derailment .

However.

Fook it

Little deuce coupe ,..beach boys.. Swansea Summers .

The Nice. Got me back to practising the piano and organ

Sgt. Pepper..no further comments needed
Byrds. Sweetheart of the rodeo. New direction for me
Tapestry.. Sheer majesty

Sweet baby James.. OMG

Aja .steely Dan..memories of living in mumbles

Days of future past.moodies. Strings perfectly acceptable in rock

Born to run...
Nebraska
Born the USA....all very personal .birth of kids

Merseybeast ....Ian macnabb... Doesn't get any better . Thanks Ian.

Blood on the tracks ...Dylan...Divorce

Finally, any foo fighter album ...giving me back my fire in the belly

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Life in albums on 21:19 - Sep 5 with 7392 viewsGowerjack

Life in albums on 19:20 - Sep 5 by perchrockjack

Wow.

Id like to post what is dear to me without the contents being subject to derailment .

However.

Fook it

Little deuce coupe ,..beach boys.. Swansea Summers .

The Nice. Got me back to practising the piano and organ

Sgt. Pepper..no further comments needed
Byrds. Sweetheart of the rodeo. New direction for me
Tapestry.. Sheer majesty

Sweet baby James.. OMG

Aja .steely Dan..memories of living in mumbles

Days of future past.moodies. Strings perfectly acceptable in rock

Born to run...
Nebraska
Born the USA....all very personal .birth of kids

Merseybeast ....Ian macnabb... Doesn't get any better . Thanks Ian.

Blood on the tracks ...Dylan...Divorce

Finally, any foo fighter album ...giving me back my fire in the belly

Steely Dan

An impossibly cool sound

My favourites

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Life in albums on 09:49 - Sep 6 with 7312 viewsyescomeon

I've actually heard a few of those. Always thought I was quite well listened but there is so much out there that I've never heard. Working my way though NME's top 500, amazed how little of it I've listened to. ABC - The Lexicon of Love and Pulp - Different Class are the highlights so far.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2016 9:50]

Upthecity!

Life in albums on 10:01 - Sep 6 with 7298 viewsperchrockjack

OCEAN RAIN...Also.

Echo and Bunnymen at their best possibly

ABC an interesting one.

Pulp. Yeah, underated sharp wit of Cocker.

add Bob Seger Hollywood Nights and Who s next

Life in albums on 10:41 - Sep 6 with 7278 viewsLohengrin

[Post edited 6 Sep 2016 10:44]

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Life in albums on 11:56 - Sep 6 with 7244 viewsGowerjack

Life in albums on 09:49 - Sep 6 by yescomeon

I've actually heard a few of those. Always thought I was quite well listened but there is so much out there that I've never heard. Working my way though NME's top 500, amazed how little of it I've listened to. ABC - The Lexicon of Love and Pulp - Different Class are the highlights so far.

I had the Lexicon of Love for my 18th birthday.

Plastic since 1974

Life in albums on 12:03 - Sep 6 with 7236 viewsyescomeon

Life in albums on 11:56 - Sep 6 by Gowerjack

I had the Lexicon of Love for my 18th birthday.

Been listening to it the last few days shaking my head in disbelief at how good it is, and that I'd never even heard of it.

Upthecity!

Life in albums on 12:14 - Sep 6 with 7228 viewsGowerjack

Life in albums on 12:03 - Sep 6 by yescomeon

Been listening to it the last few days shaking my head in disbelief at how good it is, and that I'd never even heard of it.

A top class production sound very of it's time.

Have a listen to Slave to the Rhythm by Grace Jones.

It's from a similar date but the production is even better.

Plastic since 1974

Login to get fewer ads

Life in albums on 13:02 - Sep 6 with 7201 viewsyescomeon

Life in albums on 12:14 - Sep 6 by Gowerjack

A top class production sound very of it's time.

Have a listen to Slave to the Rhythm by Grace Jones.

It's from a similar date but the production is even better.

I know of Grace Jones, will give that a listen now.

Upthecity!

Life in albums on 16:06 - Sep 6 with 7155 viewsSkewenMitch

Life in albums on 09:49 - Sep 6 by yescomeon

Hi if you are on Facebook look up and join Jeff's jukebox. It's a local group that share their favourite music. I have discovered loads of unknown (to me) stuff on there
Life in albums on 18:27 - Sep 6 with 7106 viewsGoldminer

no room for Darkness on the edge of town Perchie?
Life in albums on 18:30 - Sep 6 with 7103 viewsjacktar

I can remember seeing The Keefe Hartley Band at the Marquee Club in London in 1971. They played most of their latest album "The time is near" an absolutely brilliant performance and as a result I bought the album the following week.
Still have it somewhere but no facility for playing vinyl .................... more's the pity.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Life in albums on 20:26 - Sep 6 with 7057 viewsperchrockjack

Not really .

Darkness was the antithesis of the upbeat born to run.

Pretty dark .

I could go on but those records were in my head st the time.

Life in albums on 10:09 - Sep 7 with 6986 viewsProfessor

Some good calls already. I got into music properly in 1983 - I came over to Swansea for the Newcastle game on the bus(from Treorchy) which was rained off until the next day and spent my money instead on a few singles- most importantly "Blue Monday" which lead to the purchase of the album 'Power Corruption and Lies" which in turn led to a life as a Indie music fan.

New Order leads of course to Joy Division's 2 albums 'Unknown Pleasures' and 'Closer' which still rank up there. So into early 1984- "The Smiths" eponymous debut and The Bunnymen's ' Ocean Rain'. The next year The Fall's "this Nations Saving Grace', The Jesus and Mary Chain's 'Psychocandy' and the Cocteau Twins "Treasure" into 1986 and REM'S "Life Rich Pageant" and Icicle WOrks "If you want to defeat your enemy.." and I move on to London and University.

1987- More REM in "Document', Beastie Boy's "Licensed to Iill" and the Wedding Present's "George Best" and many more

1988 was something of a fallow year- I can only recall REM's 'Green",the first Wonderstuff album and remarkably as a student I watched a schools TV programme about making an releasing a record featuring 'Happy Mondays' leading me to buying 'Bummed'.

1989 started with chickenpox and New Order 'Technique', catching up with the "House of Love" and leading to the "Stone Roses" debut and the Pixies "Dolittle' as the sound of summer.

1990 and graduation, first job and silly record buying-everything I had wanted from Neil Young to Marvin Gaye and a fair bit of early techno/electronica

1991- the year that grunge broke, but for me my favourites at the time and still now we Wedding Present 'Seamonsters" -still a seriously underrated record and Kitchens of Distinction "Strange Free World" and I make the mistake of moving to Oxford.

1992- REM's 'Automatic for the people', Sugar "Copper Blue" Lemon heads "It's a Shame About Ray" Neil Young and Crazy Horse "Weld" and Pavement's 'Slanted and Enchanted'-I return to Wales

1993-Smashin Pumpkins 'SIamese Dream" and my favourite release on Creation by Wirral's finest -Boo Radleys "Giant Steps"

1994- Blur "Parklife" Started my PhD

1995- did it exist. I moved to Cardiff but remember nothing else
1996- Manic's 'Everything must go
1997 Stereophonics "Word gets around"' and Radiohead "OK Computer'-probably the last records that defined a time in my life. Completing my PhD and then leaving Wales and perhaps now never returning-from then on I have probably never bought an album that the sum of was that memorable- other than the two XTC Apple Venus Albums around 2000. Plenty of stuff I like from 1962-now, but somehow nothing made the impact that the years 15-29 made.
Life in albums on 10:51 - Sep 7 with 6970 viewsyescomeon

Hell of a list there Professor. Going to go have a listen to the names I don't recognise, but love most of the ones I do. Makes me think I might have grown up in a bit of a musical dark age.

Upthecity!

Life in albums on 11:52 - Sep 7 with 6957 viewsGreatBritton

People need to(re)listen to:

Moaning in the Moonlight - Howlin' Wolf going down slow
Blood on the tracks * - Bobviously
New Boots and Panties -Do your Dury duty

* A recent contestant on Pointless was asked to name one track and offered "Victim?" but the pointless answer was "If You See Her"-some of the most poignant lyrics ever (along with "All Along the Watchtower" plainly)
Life in albums on 12:59 - Sep 7 with 6942 viewsProfessor

Life in albums on 11:52 - Sep 7 by GreatBritton

People need to(re)listen to:

Moaning in the Moonlight - Howlin' Wolf going down slow
Blood on the tracks * - Bobviously
New Boots and Panties -Do your Dury duty

* A recent contestant on Pointless was asked to name one track and offered "Victim?" but the pointless answer was "If You See Her"-some of the most poignant lyrics ever (along with "All Along the Watchtower" plainly)

I like the poignancy of a number of songs on "New Boots and Panties"- the obvious about the relationship with his father in "my old man', but even "Sweet Gene Vincent"-the ageing rocker 20+ years on from the heyday of Rock n'roll..... and 'Billericay Dicky' is always good for a sing-a-long. Most often when pegging out washing oddly.
Life in albums on 13:23 - Sep 7 with 6932 viewsperchrockjack

Plaistow Patricia . Yep, la

Pegging out the washing.

In north east cheshire😉

Life in albums on 13:26 - Sep 7 with 6930 viewsWarwickHunt

Life in albums on 13:23 - Sep 7 by perchrockjack

Plaistow Patricia . Yep, la

Pegging out the washing.

In north east cheshire😉

How do you peg washing out oddly?

Is it a Northern thing?
Life in albums on 13:29 - Sep 7 with 6924 viewsswanjackal

Life in albums on 13:26 - Sep 7 by WarwickHunt

Is it a Northern thing?

I don't know if pegging is a northern thing, but will explain why some walk funny.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Life in albums on 13:33 - Sep 7 with 6922 viewsperchrockjack

It's what the working class do apparently.
I'm sure professor was joshing.
He s a lovely guy and pre eminent academic.

Pegging out washing where he lives ? Not sure if it's allowed.

For those of us ,without the staff you have, washing is hung out with pegs . Ours are colour coded, viz red for lingerie , blue for shirts ,white for hosiery, yellow for blankets (duvets to you and Wayne)

Life in albums on 15:11 - Sep 7 with 6885 viewsProfessor

Life in albums on 13:26 - Sep 7 by WarwickHunt

Is it a Northern thing?

Rhondda thing . Sometimes on a unicycle at other times on a pogo stick. No wonder it takes me hours and I can get through most of the Stiff records back catalogue.
Life in albums on 15:22 - Sep 7 with 6882 viewsperchrockjack

warwick has never hung any lingerie on a washing line, not even a pair of Sandfields skidded boxer shorts

Life in albums on 19:19 - Sep 7 with 6846 viewsMrSwerve

Abbey Road
Sgt Pepper
Revolver

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

Life in albums on 19:25 - Sep 7 with 6833 viewsperchrockjack

Must be one of the best threads for some time.
Quality guys ,quality.

Did I mention ...harvest ,Neil Young.
I have now

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024