Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swans aid 21:34 - Sep 17 with 1643 viewsswan85

Does anyone remember this and have a copy? I still have 2 copies of the record somewhere at my parents. Think it was around 1986 a fundraiser when the club was going through that phase of financial troubles.
Swans aid on 11:15 - Sep 18 with 1498 viewsTimBowen

If you are referring to the Mal Pope record 'Bringing back the glory days,' then yes, I still have a signed copy.

I was at one of the fund raising meetings at the Grand Hotel, on High Street, in January 1986 and Mal turned up with a pile of the 'Glory days' records. Providing them for us fundraisers for free, offering to print off as many copies as our '86 Campaign' could sell. All proceeds were intended to raise funds for the campaign.

I know, through reading this site, that some posters think MP is 'a plastic' and only attached himself to the club when success came our way. But that's not true and most unfair, he was a Swans fan back in those dark days and he must've spent a significant amount of time and money in recording and printing all those records. And he never 'courted publicity' for having done so either.

It was an innovative way to raise money for the Swans, at a time when every penny contributed counted. And as some regular posters on this site can testify, (having been in their company in the High Court proceedings) the money raised by fans and local people contributing to the '86 Campaign,' was instrumental in enabling the club to escape from administration in that High Court hearing in late July 1986.

The song won't mean much to the 'new fans,' in these £100 million pound 'Sky income' seasons, but back then, the lyrics were inspirational to our campaign and personally, I sincerely thank Mal for his contribution.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024