Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea top university in Wales 13:56 - Sep 23 with 3968 viewsLeonisGod

Well done Swansea University

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/swansea-university-overtakes-cardiff-to-
Swansea top university in Wales on 14:02 - Sep 23 with 3954 viewslondonlisa2001

Just saw that on Twitter.

Absolutely fantastic achievement - think it's the first time Swansea has overtaken Cardiff which has always been regarded as an excellent university as well.

Brilliant to see Swansea doing so well. It'll benefit the city as a whole over time as it attracts bright young people some of whom may start up small businesses and really push the economy of the city on.

Great that the club have such strong links with them as well.
Swansea top university in Wales on 14:22 - Sep 23 with 3929 viewsperchrockjack

Truly pleased to read this .

For a student, I d suggest Swansea be excellent

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea top university in Wales on 17:17 - Sep 23 with 3825 viewsdickythorpe

Swansea top university in Wales on 14:22 - Sep 23 by perchrockjack

Truly pleased to read this .

For a student, I d suggest Swansea be excellent

Cor blimey someone frame this!!!!!
Swansea top university in Wales on 19:55 - Sep 23 with 3764 viewsBanosswan

It's great that Swansea continue to climb the ranking, however what the hell has happened to Cardiff, they were top twenty a few years ago!

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Swansea top university in Wales on 20:16 - Sep 23 with 3741 viewsAnotherJohn

Swansea top university in Wales on 19:55 - Sep 23 by Banosswan

It's great that Swansea continue to climb the ranking, however what the hell has happened to Cardiff, they were top twenty a few years ago!

Hard to say, but my guess is that the aggressive performance management regime at Cardiff hasn't helped retention of senior staff. I know several professors who have moved to other universities, in part at least for that reason.
Swansea top university in Wales on 03:56 - Sep 24 with 3649 viewsperchrockjack

Dicky.
If you actually read what the feck I post, you ll find cryptic love for many Swansea features.

I have happy memories of Swansea people and never forget this site is hardly representative of our people.

Never forget most small towns around Swansea hated us, now they re protecting Swansea from insults fon a site like this.

Floreat swansea

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea top university in Wales on 06:25 - Sep 24 with 3637 viewsKilkennyjack

Fantastic news.

And the new bay campus sites are a European funded statement of confidence that will further develop the university's fine reputation. The likes of Terry Matthews are now investing in it - and he has started 3 billion dollar companies.

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea top university in Wales on 07:53 - Sep 24 with 3609 viewsAnotherJohn

Swansea top university in Wales on 06:25 - Sep 24 by Kilkennyjack

Fantastic news.

And the new bay campus sites are a European funded statement of confidence that will further develop the university's fine reputation. The likes of Terry Matthews are now investing in it - and he has started 3 billion dollar companies.

Much of the funding (over £40m) came from the European Regional Development Fund and it is good to get a little of the UK's net contribution to the EU back. I doubt that much came from the Republic., though the European Investment Bank did lend the University about £60M.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea top university in Wales on 09:23 - Sep 27 with 3475 viewsfelixstowe_jack

It may be part European funded but remember it is UK tax payers money in the first place given to the EU who take their cut then return some of back to the UK. Now we are leaving the EU we can invest the whole amount in the UK.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Swansea top university in Wales on 09:33 - Sep 27 with 3468 viewsepaul

Swansea top university in Wales on 09:23 - Sep 27 by felixstowe_jack

It may be part European funded but remember it is UK tax payers money in the first place given to the EU who take their cut then return some of back to the UK. Now we are leaving the EU we can invest the whole amount in the UK.

In what like, say the NHS

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Swansea top university in Wales on 09:57 - Sep 27 with 3455 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Swansea top university in Wales on 09:33 - Sep 27 by epaul

In what like, say the NHS

First thing to do with the NHS is to make foreign nationals pay for their treatment like most of the other countries do.

Swansea top university in Wales on 10:22 - Sep 27 with 3437 viewsnice_to_michu

Swansea top university in Wales on 09:57 - Sep 27 by felixstowe_jack

First thing to do with the NHS is to make foreign nationals pay for their treatment like most of the other countries do.

And how much would that save?
Swansea top university in Wales on 10:27 - Sep 27 with 3434 viewsfelixstowe_jack

A couple of Billion.
https://fullfact.org/health/health-tourists-how-much-do-they-cost-and-who-pays/
[Post edited 27 Sep 2016 10:29]

Swansea top university in Wales on 10:31 - Sep 27 with 3424 viewsnice_to_michu

Swansea top university in Wales on 10:27 - Sep 27 by felixstowe_jack

A couple of Billion.
https://fullfact.org/health/health-tourists-how-much-do-they-cost-and-who-pays/
[Post edited 27 Sep 2016 10:29]

So if other countries already do it, why didn't we? And what does that have to do with EU membership?
Swansea top university in Wales on 10:47 - Sep 27 with 3404 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Mainly because our NHS administrators would rather complain about lack of funds from the government than actually get of their backsides and start collecting the fees owed. Most of the EU countries actually already charge for treatment and patients claim it back from their health insurance companies.
Within the EU most people can use their EUROPEAN HEALTH INSURANCE CARD (Including UK citizens travelling within the EU) This covers most of the cost of treatment which countries then claim back from visitors' home Country. One again the rest of the EU have procedures in place to do this while the NHS does not as it seems to be too much trouble to ask for EU visitors health cards.

Swansea top university in Wales on 10:48 - Sep 27 with 3404 viewsLeonisGod

Swansea top university in Wales on 10:31 - Sep 27 by nice_to_michu

So if other countries already do it, why didn't we? And what does that have to do with EU membership?

Other countries don't; the right to health care in Europe is based on residency, not nationality (be that access to 'free' and paid for through general taxes or mandatory enrolment in state-insurance schemes). This applies to all countries in the European Economic Area (all EU member states plus a few more).

The £1.8 billion a year 'cost' to the NHS also ignores money that the nhs claims back from other countries (the rules have also been tightened on this). It also excludes savings where UK nationals have moved overseas.

I'm not saying there isn't a cost, but this £1.8m 'cost' isn't the true cost; it's the gross figure and an over-simplification, but a good headline. It's a bit like the cost of membership of the EU was exaggerated in the run-up to the referendum.
Swansea top university in Wales on 11:09 - Sep 27 with 3395 viewsnice_to_michu

Swansea top university in Wales on 10:47 - Sep 27 by felixstowe_jack

Mainly because our NHS administrators would rather complain about lack of funds from the government than actually get of their backsides and start collecting the fees owed. Most of the EU countries actually already charge for treatment and patients claim it back from their health insurance companies.
Within the EU most people can use their EUROPEAN HEALTH INSURANCE CARD (Including UK citizens travelling within the EU) This covers most of the cost of treatment which countries then claim back from visitors' home Country. One again the rest of the EU have procedures in place to do this while the NHS does not as it seems to be too much trouble to ask for EU visitors health cards.

Can't be bothered to get off their backsides and claim it back? Do you honestly believe that it's laziness?

Good lord
Swansea top university in Wales on 12:51 - Sep 29 with 3300 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Yes otherwise they would already have claimed it back.

Swansea top university in Wales on 13:53 - Sep 29 with 3272 viewsAnotherJohn

Swansea top university in Wales on 10:48 - Sep 27 by LeonisGod

Other countries don't; the right to health care in Europe is based on residency, not nationality (be that access to 'free' and paid for through general taxes or mandatory enrolment in state-insurance schemes). This applies to all countries in the European Economic Area (all EU member states plus a few more).

The £1.8 billion a year 'cost' to the NHS also ignores money that the nhs claims back from other countries (the rules have also been tightened on this). It also excludes savings where UK nationals have moved overseas.

I'm not saying there isn't a cost, but this £1.8m 'cost' isn't the true cost; it's the gross figure and an over-simplification, but a good headline. It's a bit like the cost of membership of the EU was exaggerated in the run-up to the referendum.

Some mistakes here. Actually the UK is one of a very few European countries where eligibility is based only on residency. Most of the other countries have social health insurance systems (funded mainly through employment-based contributions) rather than tax-funded NHS-type systems. In SHI systems eligibility depends on membership of the scheme via employment or meeting the conditions required to be covered by supplementary schemes for people not in employment. In some countries co-payments must be made upfront and will be reimbursed later by the relevant SHI scheme. Jumping through the various hoops required for coverage means that most Brits in the EU are properly registered, in most cases through the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which then allows recovery of costs from the UK government. Those who find work in the EU join the relevant SHI scheme via their employment and pay their contributions just like nationals. EU citizens using the NHS should either use their EHIC, or if they are here for a longer period establish their habitual residency status in the UK, in which case the NHS pays (even if the migrant pays little UK tax). The main problem is that not all who could use the EHIC are properly recorded and the cost of care is not reclaimed from their home EU country. UK policy was recently revamped to try to reduce the cost to the NHS.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/496951
[Post edited 29 Sep 2016 14:01]
Swansea top university in Wales on 14:22 - Sep 29 with 3252 viewsnice_to_michu

Swansea top university in Wales on 13:53 - Sep 29 by AnotherJohn

Some mistakes here. Actually the UK is one of a very few European countries where eligibility is based only on residency. Most of the other countries have social health insurance systems (funded mainly through employment-based contributions) rather than tax-funded NHS-type systems. In SHI systems eligibility depends on membership of the scheme via employment or meeting the conditions required to be covered by supplementary schemes for people not in employment. In some countries co-payments must be made upfront and will be reimbursed later by the relevant SHI scheme. Jumping through the various hoops required for coverage means that most Brits in the EU are properly registered, in most cases through the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which then allows recovery of costs from the UK government. Those who find work in the EU join the relevant SHI scheme via their employment and pay their contributions just like nationals. EU citizens using the NHS should either use their EHIC, or if they are here for a longer period establish their habitual residency status in the UK, in which case the NHS pays (even if the migrant pays little UK tax). The main problem is that not all who could use the EHIC are properly recorded and the cost of care is not reclaimed from their home EU country. UK policy was recently revamped to try to reduce the cost to the NHS.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/496951
[Post edited 29 Sep 2016 14:01]

Interesting post, I certainly learnt a few things.

So how does that fit in with the idea that we are too lazy to reclaim monies owed to us, as discussed above?
Swansea top university in Wales on 15:34 - Sep 29 with 3230 viewsAnotherJohn

Swansea top university in Wales on 14:22 - Sep 29 by nice_to_michu

Interesting post, I certainly learnt a few things.

So how does that fit in with the idea that we are too lazy to reclaim monies owed to us, as discussed above?

I'd say that the culture of the NHS, work pressures and the past lack of clarity in guidance all play a part. If you want to read up about the extent of the problem look here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-visitors-and-migrant-use-of-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/329789

The bigger question that has interested me in recent years is whether a tax-funded, residency-based NHS would survive in the EU as it moved towards 'ever closer union'. Austerity is really damaging the Southern European systems that most closely resemble our NHS system (Italy, Spain, Greece, Portugal) to the extent that comprehensive cover for all is being compromised.. NHS-type systems depend on the concept of a risk pool - a known population for which the provision and financing of care can be planned. The problem for an NHS-type system which is less good at cost recovery than an SHI-type system is that it becomes vulnerable when freedom of movement results in an unplanned increase in the population needing healthcare services. Although tax revenues increase, the extra tax receipts (especially from low-paid workers) may be less than the additional healthcare costs. By contrast this is less of a problem when employers deduct the full cost of SHI contributions directly from wages in the insurance-based systems. The temptation for UK policy makers in such a situation is to switch from universal eligibility to contributions-based welfare provision. My guess is that in a situation of 'ever closer union' (which I think would have become a real pressure in the long term) the UK would be pushed away from an NHS-type system towards an SHI-type system - the more common European pattern.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2016 15:36]
Swansea top university in Wales on 15:55 - Sep 29 with 3218 viewscontroversial_jack

Swansea top university in Wales on 09:23 - Sep 27 by felixstowe_jack

You mean , the money Reciters said would go into the NHS then changed their mind and said the NHS will not get it, soon as they had the vote in their favour
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024