Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everyone hates the Welsh language 17:39 - Sep 23 with 26078 viewsDarran

lol

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/carmarthen-bookshop-fails-to-sell-welsh-

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:31 - May 20 with 2312 viewsJonathans_coat

Why are welsh speakers, and those who wish to preserve and continue the welsh language always accused of having a “narrow minded, introvert and backward mindset?” (To quote an earlier post)

Are other non-state languages subject to such disdain? Are Catalan speakers considered “backwards and introvert” in Spain? (Genuine question)
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:56 - May 21 with 2203 viewsgravyandchipsjack

I haven't posted on Planet Swans for years, but I can never let a debate about the Welsh language go, so here I am.

In answer to the original post: everyone from Carmarthen knows that if you want to buy something Welsh like Welsh language Scrabble, you'd do it from Siop Y Pentan in the market, and not Waterstones. My aunty works in Siop y Pentan, and they have sold lots of the Welsh language Scrabble. It was an annoying clickbait article that drove traffic to the site, and did its job.

On a personal level, the attitude to Welsh on this forum saddens me a bit. I am from Carmarthen, and every single member of my family, on both my mum and dad's side speak first language Welsh. At my school in Carmarthen this was the norm. Therefore every wedding, funeral, christening and birthday party in my family is conducted in Welsh. This isn't a political statement, or done to make a point, it's just the way it is, because that's the language we all think in. My grandmother who died a couple of years ago was from Tumble in the Gwendraeth Valley, and spoke almost no English as she'd never had to. There is an assumption from some people that the Welsh language is a hobby, or a secret handshake, or an intellectual exercise like doing crytic crosswords in the paper. It isn’t, it’s the language I would speak to my parents and friends in.

In reference to my grandmother being essentially a monoglot Welsh speaker, I'm not saying that I want people to only speak Welsh, I'm using her as an example to show that you can live a fulfilling life through Welsh, as it's a language like any other. But bilingualism is the global norm, as around 65% of the world’s population speaks two languages or more. Romelu Lukaku speaks six. My sister has married a Muslim from Bristol, and they live in Wales. He is learning Welsh, and their kid is attending a Welsh school. That is the future.

I accept that it’s unlikely you’ll hear much Welsh spoken in the city of Swansea itself, but you only have to go a few miles west to hear a lot of it. And in terms of the cost of road signs, etc — there are 560,000 Welsh speakers and we pay taxes too. Around a third of the world’s languages are spoken by fewer than a thousand people, so in global terms, Welsh is a big player (it’s in the top 15% of languages spoken worldwide). I am trying to learn French and it’s difficult, so I have the utmost respect for anyone who gives learning Welsh a go. Having said that, I have never met a multilingual person who regrets learning a language, in the same way I have never met a musician who regretted learning an instrument. There are some people on here who won’t be convinced of the language’s value, but I wanted to try and explode a few myths.

PS. I would personally like to give Graham Potter the job.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:17 - May 21 with 2191 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Let's be honest here, most (if not all) of the people who continually slag off the welsh language do so out of insecurity, whether that's natives or those from the wrong side of Offa's Dyke.

I have many family members whose experiences reflect that of gravyandchips; my great uncle Idwal barely spoke a word of English and most of that side of the family conduct their lives entirely through the medium of welsh; not to annoy others, just because...that's how they've always lived.

On the flip-side, it's fair to say there are some proponents of Welsh who have a self-defeating arrogance directed towards non-speakers; maybe that all stems from insecurity too?

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:22 - May 21 with 2189 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:56 - May 21 by gravyandchipsjack

I haven't posted on Planet Swans for years, but I can never let a debate about the Welsh language go, so here I am.

In answer to the original post: everyone from Carmarthen knows that if you want to buy something Welsh like Welsh language Scrabble, you'd do it from Siop Y Pentan in the market, and not Waterstones. My aunty works in Siop y Pentan, and they have sold lots of the Welsh language Scrabble. It was an annoying clickbait article that drove traffic to the site, and did its job.

On a personal level, the attitude to Welsh on this forum saddens me a bit. I am from Carmarthen, and every single member of my family, on both my mum and dad's side speak first language Welsh. At my school in Carmarthen this was the norm. Therefore every wedding, funeral, christening and birthday party in my family is conducted in Welsh. This isn't a political statement, or done to make a point, it's just the way it is, because that's the language we all think in. My grandmother who died a couple of years ago was from Tumble in the Gwendraeth Valley, and spoke almost no English as she'd never had to. There is an assumption from some people that the Welsh language is a hobby, or a secret handshake, or an intellectual exercise like doing crytic crosswords in the paper. It isn’t, it’s the language I would speak to my parents and friends in.

In reference to my grandmother being essentially a monoglot Welsh speaker, I'm not saying that I want people to only speak Welsh, I'm using her as an example to show that you can live a fulfilling life through Welsh, as it's a language like any other. But bilingualism is the global norm, as around 65% of the world’s population speaks two languages or more. Romelu Lukaku speaks six. My sister has married a Muslim from Bristol, and they live in Wales. He is learning Welsh, and their kid is attending a Welsh school. That is the future.

I accept that it’s unlikely you’ll hear much Welsh spoken in the city of Swansea itself, but you only have to go a few miles west to hear a lot of it. And in terms of the cost of road signs, etc — there are 560,000 Welsh speakers and we pay taxes too. Around a third of the world’s languages are spoken by fewer than a thousand people, so in global terms, Welsh is a big player (it’s in the top 15% of languages spoken worldwide). I am trying to learn French and it’s difficult, so I have the utmost respect for anyone who gives learning Welsh a go. Having said that, I have never met a multilingual person who regrets learning a language, in the same way I have never met a musician who regretted learning an instrument. There are some people on here who won’t be convinced of the language’s value, but I wanted to try and explode a few myths.

Great post.

Its normal - and we will have 1 million welsh speakers by 2050.
Cardiff is already visibly embracing the language and i am sure Swansea will do the same with the City Deal.
FAW doing same.

The young people do get it, a modern bilingual Wales in Europe.
The ‘gammon’ will never get it.

Beware of the Risen People

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:37 - May 21 with 2175 viewsLeonWasGod

Excellent post gravyandchips.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:04 - May 21 with 2157 viewsBobby_Fischer

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:03 - Sep 23 by morningstar

My sons were educated in Welsh schools and both left with 'A' grades in the subject.

I highly doubt whether either of them have uttered a single word of the language since they walked out of the door of Gwyr for the last time.

My brother and I were educated in Englishh schools and left with A Grades

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:26 - May 21 with 2140 viewsmoonie

Sadly the author of this is God forsaken thread has done it again . Introduced hate where there is none.
Who the check says they hate the Welsh or any other language.

If you speak Welsh then fine, but don't expect everyone in Swansea ,a truly anguished city ,to have th e inate love for the language and to deride with pure venom anyone who doesn't see the love .

Nothing ,but nothing devises us more than this topic. Witness the puerile ,racist drivel of killylenny ,our Irish nationalist chum. Weird to see an Irish tricolour on his avatar not the red dragon.

So, let's see this passion ,the unending aggression shown towards creating new jobs for Swansea

FRANKLY, I'm not over bothered about Carmarthen or Llanelli come to that ,being a Jack.

I ll be home soon and I ll hear little Welsh spoken and it's not in any way relevant .

What gets up my nose is people feeling intimidated by killylenny and his racist ,boiling hatred for people who are English .

A terrible car crash of a thread started by the arch cock .

Pull the plug on it ffs
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:38 - May 21 with 2131 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:26 - May 21 by moonie

Sadly the author of this is God forsaken thread has done it again . Introduced hate where there is none.
Who the check says they hate the Welsh or any other language.

If you speak Welsh then fine, but don't expect everyone in Swansea ,a truly anguished city ,to have th e inate love for the language and to deride with pure venom anyone who doesn't see the love .

Nothing ,but nothing devises us more than this topic. Witness the puerile ,racist drivel of killylenny ,our Irish nationalist chum. Weird to see an Irish tricolour on his avatar not the red dragon.

So, let's see this passion ,the unending aggression shown towards creating new jobs for Swansea

FRANKLY, I'm not over bothered about Carmarthen or Llanelli come to that ,being a Jack.

I ll be home soon and I ll hear little Welsh spoken and it's not in any way relevant .

What gets up my nose is people feeling intimidated by killylenny and his racist ,boiling hatred for people who are English .

A terrible car crash of a thread started by the arch cock .

Pull the plug on it ffs

Cock a doddle do. #perchisateapot 😂😂

Beware of the Risen People

Login to get fewer ads

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:47 - May 21 with 2073 viewsSgorioFruit

Great post mate. Diolch yn fawr i chi
I’m a swansea jack born in Swansea but now live in Carmarthenshire, my 1 year old son is already registered for the local welsh primary school for when he starts.
I don’t speak it fluently but I’ve picked up more and more since working and living here. Also I spend a lot of time in the Gwendraeth Valley and have met many of it’s peoples.

If I remember correctly the previous planet swans forum had a welsh section. I’d love for us to start one on here again. Would help me practise my reading and writing in cymraeg.
I notice cardiff fc forum has a welsh section, also on Twitter there are welsh accounts for fans of both Merthyr and Cardiff.
Would be great to talk about football in the “hen iaith”.

On a seperate note I always have a little chuckle to myself when I buy a matchday programme down the liberty and attempt to read the welsh section in there. I chuckle because I think of the away fans who turn up, buy the programme and stumble across that page and think what the feck is this haha.
I also look out for any welsh on the advertising boardings around the stadium so i can see it will be broadcasted on TV. The only ones I’ve see are for prifysgol abertawe.

Anyway a cracking post from you.
Let’s get this welsh planet swans section up and running shall we please chaps?

a bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw
[Post edited 21 May 2018 21:49]

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:16 - May 21 with 2036 viewscymrojack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:47 - May 21 by SgorioFruit

Great post mate. Diolch yn fawr i chi
I’m a swansea jack born in Swansea but now live in Carmarthenshire, my 1 year old son is already registered for the local welsh primary school for when he starts.
I don’t speak it fluently but I’ve picked up more and more since working and living here. Also I spend a lot of time in the Gwendraeth Valley and have met many of it’s peoples.

If I remember correctly the previous planet swans forum had a welsh section. I’d love for us to start one on here again. Would help me practise my reading and writing in cymraeg.
I notice cardiff fc forum has a welsh section, also on Twitter there are welsh accounts for fans of both Merthyr and Cardiff.
Would be great to talk about football in the “hen iaith”.

On a seperate note I always have a little chuckle to myself when I buy a matchday programme down the liberty and attempt to read the welsh section in there. I chuckle because I think of the away fans who turn up, buy the programme and stumble across that page and think what the feck is this haha.
I also look out for any welsh on the advertising boardings around the stadium so i can see it will be broadcasted on TV. The only ones I’ve see are for prifysgol abertawe.

Anyway a cracking post from you.
Let’s get this welsh planet swans section up and running shall we please chaps?

a bydd yr iaith Gymraeg yn fyw
[Post edited 21 May 2018 21:49]

Does dim angen creu adran ar wahan i'r Gymraeg.

Mae gennych yr hawl i ddefnyddio'r Gymraeg ar unrhyw bwnc trafod sy'n bodoli ar hyn o bryd , neu cewch ddechrau pwnc newydd o'ch dewis.

Pe baech yn dymuno dechrau pwnc o'r newydd, yn sicr, buaswn yn hynod o barod i gyfrannu ati yn y Gymraeg.

Defnyddiwch yr iaith gyfeillion!

Gwynedd & Swansea - Veteran of Morriston Boys Club

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:01 - May 21 with 2010 viewsblaenaugwentjack

Brilliant post. Sadly darren tries his best to be planetswans Jeremy clarkson, and it's starting to fail now. His relentless rants and narrow minded mindset from the dark ages will soon be a thing of the past. I come from a family of English speakers. My mam and dad and grandparents were english speaking. When my daughter came along, i or we decided to send her to salimali and mithryn, and then welsh school. She will tell you it's the best thing that happened to her. She has secured quite a few jobs being able to speak welsh and is now in the last year of her degree in swansea uni. I am now coming to the end of my first year learning welsh in evening class. It's been fun, hard going and on times frustrating but, as my old boss used to say, if it was easy everyone would do it. I had my first real conversation of some length in welsh with my daughter, some two weeks ago. Bendegenig.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:26 - May 21 with 1996 viewsbuilthjack

Bloody good post

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:40 - May 21 with 1992 viewsDJack

"I haven't posted on Planet Swans for years..."

Ahhh, so our demise is your fault and not big nose's!

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 11:18 - May 22 with 1917 viewsmoonie

Darren didn't post that because he hates the language rather than satisfy his perverse warped mind which is to create division on here and perpetuate it. He hasn't the intelligence to debate or discuss anything at all. That should be obvious to all.
He will have been aroused by watching the spats on here so we re all guilty.

Finally, nobody HATES the Welsh language just those who use it as a tool to divide and to assume one is a better Welshman than another .

I've known some nasty north wales feckers ,totally Welsh lingua Franca ,but no way as good as the majority in Wales ,the 80 per cent who do not speak Welsh

I doubt many Jacks from Townhill,Penlan,Clase or Sandfields are that arsed about not speaking Welsh. I mean ,this thread is in English language, hated by killykenny etc ...so bo hypocrisy folks.

Now ,mods,warn this cretin and pull this thread
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 11:24 - May 22 with 1915 viewsexhmrc1

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 11:18 - May 22 by moonie

Darren didn't post that because he hates the language rather than satisfy his perverse warped mind which is to create division on here and perpetuate it. He hasn't the intelligence to debate or discuss anything at all. That should be obvious to all.
He will have been aroused by watching the spats on here so we re all guilty.

Finally, nobody HATES the Welsh language just those who use it as a tool to divide and to assume one is a better Welshman than another .

I've known some nasty north wales feckers ,totally Welsh lingua Franca ,but no way as good as the majority in Wales ,the 80 per cent who do not speak Welsh

I doubt many Jacks from Townhill,Penlan,Clase or Sandfields are that arsed about not speaking Welsh. I mean ,this thread is in English language, hated by killykenny etc ...so bo hypocrisy folks.

Now ,mods,warn this cretin and pull this thread

the reality is many people in Swansea are learning the language that is why there are 2 welsh language schools Gwyr and Bryn Tawe. There is a new one opened recently in Port Talbot so someone there must be learning it as well.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:02 - May 22 with 1857 viewsSgorioFruit

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:16 - May 21 by cymrojack

Does dim angen creu adran ar wahan i'r Gymraeg.

Mae gennych yr hawl i ddefnyddio'r Gymraeg ar unrhyw bwnc trafod sy'n bodoli ar hyn o bryd , neu cewch ddechrau pwnc newydd o'ch dewis.

Pe baech yn dymuno dechrau pwnc o'r newydd, yn sicr, buaswn yn hynod o barod i gyfrannu ati yn y Gymraeg.

Defnyddiwch yr iaith gyfeillion!

great post and thanks. diolch,
(half of which I had to use google translate, but half I can read ok)

Your right though, and opened my eyes a bit. There shouldn't be a separate welsh section on a football forum for example. Anyone at any place at any time should indulge in their native language without feeling the need to have a segregation.
Bendegedig.

I will have to make more of an effort to practise my written and reading cymraeg.
Dw i'n dechrau dysgu siarad iaith cymraeg.
dw i'n trio ymarfer on the SaySomething in welsh website.

https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/level1/intro

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:43 - May 22 with 1825 viewslifelong

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:02 - May 22 by SgorioFruit

Your right though, and opened my eyes a bit. There shouldn't be a separate welsh section on a football forum for example. Anyone at any place at any time should indulge in their native language without feeling the need to have a segregation.
Bendegedig.

I will have to make more of an effort to practise my written and reading cymraeg.

It’s a very good course, a great way to start learning the language ,if anyone is interested.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:46 - May 22 with 1823 viewslondontaffia

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:22 - May 21 by Kilkennyjack

Great post.

Its normal - and we will have 1 million welsh speakers by 2050.
Cardiff is already visibly embracing the language and i am sure Swansea will do the same with the City Deal.
FAW doing same.

The young people do get it, a modern bilingual Wales in Europe.
The ‘gammon’ will never get it.

I agree, once Cardiff embraces it, Swansea will undoubtedly follow......

Poll: How loyal are you really?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 08:45 - May 23 with 1760 viewsmoonie

2050 eh. Million speakers .?

Now just explain that .

On second thoughts Paddy , don't

This " discussion" is surreal.

It seems all the monoglot indigenous Jacks are too intimidated to contribute to this thread
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 09:34 - May 23 with 1740 viewsjohnlangy

Brilliant post
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 09:44 - May 23 with 1735 viewsjohnlangy

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:02 - May 22 by SgorioFruit

Bendegedig.

And I could understand that as well after MY adult Welsh learner classes. There are numerous classes around Swansea that have been going for at least ten years so the numbers who can speak Welsh to some extent, while not yn rhugl (fluent), must be rising quickly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024