Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everyone hates the Welsh language 17:39 - Sep 23 with 26204 viewsDarran

lol

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/carmarthen-bookshop-fails-to-sell-welsh-

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 10:00 - Sep 29 with 1666 viewslifelong

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 03:23 - Sep 29 by perchrockjack

Amen to that.

I see the Welsh language, without any doubt, being the most divisive issue in Wales.
No?
Then why this topic, why the open contempt from the likes of lifelong.

Our kids need to expand their boundaries.

Sorry, Welsh speaking doesn't.

I'm in a place right now that has language fascist and it's not very edifying at all.

Welsh is of use only in Wales and to 20 per cent of general public. I say general as you can discount n e Wales and much of the marches.

20 per cent don't in Gwynedd and a less hospital people you could not wish to meet.

So there

Why this topic? Because Darran like to throw in a wind up about the Welsh language occasionally, just to get the likes of you to make stupid comments about it.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 10:00 - Sep 29 with 1666 viewsmonmouth

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 09:53 - Sep 29 by lifelong

Personally, I've been through Ynysforgan Roundabout often enough not to need to use the road signs.

Maybe they should just do them in Chinese. Or German. At least Stark would be happy then. One language is all we need after all and the poor lamb would no longer have to write to the EP as 'Confused of Ynysforgan'.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 10:08 - Sep 29 with 1664 viewsCatullus

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 08:35 - Sep 29 by nice_to_michu

Yep. Totally unnecessary.

I've never met someone who only speaks welsh and cannot understand English, so having all of our signs and documents in both languages is an incredible waste.

I have met somebody for whom English was very much their second language, to the point that he couldn't manage a conversation in English without lots of stopping to think and asking a friend (in Welsh) for the right words.
He was from Anglesey, we were on a train from Chester across to Manchester to watch Wales play England, several years ago now.
In some parts of the country bilingual signs make sense, but not in South Wales.

Welsh does have value, but I'm not arguing against teaching it in schools. It's the letters, road signs etc that bother me. To me they don't represent good value for money when schools and hospitals are having budgets cut.
It might only be 17.5 million a year, but how many life saving or life changing operations would that pay for, or cancer treatment for children?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 11:47 - Sep 29 with 1647 viewsexiledclaseboy

Personally, I've been through Ynysforgan Roundabout often enough not to need to use the road signs.

Anyone that discombobulated by bilingual road signs should probably be considering whether they should be driving in the first place.

Poll: Tory leader

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 11:48 - Sep 29 with 1646 viewsUxbridge

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 09:21 - Sep 29 by nice_to_michu

I ask this genuinely, not in a condescending way.

In what way do you think your daughter's quality of life, career, happiness etc etc is affected by speaking the Welsh language? Will she use it on w daily basis? Is the case to learn Welsh fluently stronger than learning another language fluently (e.g. Spanish, French, Chinese)?

She uses Welsh on a daily basis, in school and with family. She likes her school, which is a Welsh medium one. Learning Welsh will help her learn other languages, such as Spanish and French which I've always found more similar in structure. Plenty of studies show that bilingual children find learning other languages easier.

I don't speak Welsh, bar a B at GCSE. I'll likely never learn, despite those around me speaking it (something I have no issue with). However I can clearly see that the language means a lot to many people and is an intrinsic part of a country that, for its many flaws, I love. I don't get the rationale of those seeking to remove or denigrate it.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 12:24 - Sep 29 with 1689 viewsTaliesin

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 08:35 - Sep 29 by nice_to_michu

Yep. Totally unnecessary.

I've never met someone who only speaks welsh and cannot understand English, so having all of our signs and documents in both languages is an incredible waste.

I agree the directional road signs need not be bi lingual - that doesn't mean they should be in English only. I would suggest that we should be using the Welsh place names not English bastardisations.

Remove English place names Simple - Job done
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 13:04 - Sep 29 with 1669 viewslondonlisa2001

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 11:47 - Sep 29 by exiledclaseboy

Anyone that discombobulated by bilingual road signs should probably be considering whether they should be driving in the first place.

Anyone that discombobulated by bilingual road signs won't understand your post.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 13:08 - Sep 29 with 1668 viewslondonlisa2001

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 09:21 - Sep 29 by nice_to_michu

I ask this genuinely, not in a condescending way.

In what way do you think your daughter's quality of life, career, happiness etc etc is affected by speaking the Welsh language? Will she use it on w daily basis? Is the case to learn Welsh fluently stronger than learning another language fluently (e.g. Spanish, French, Chinese)?

Every single study shows that bilingual children find learning other languages far easier.
Login to get fewer ads

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:16 - Sep 29 with 1638 viewsunion_jack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 13:08 - Sep 29 by londonlisa2001

Every single study shows that bilingual children find learning other languages far easier.

So why not learn a language of more use first and take Welsh up at another point in time if necessary?

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:18 - Sep 29 with 1637 viewsStarsky

Aye, you're ok but the other users are fecking dangerous.
Every morning there's an attempt to push me out of my lane by a driver that isn't paying attention to road signs in both languages.

It's just the internet, init.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:23 - Sep 29 with 1636 viewsunion_jack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 11:47 - Sep 29 by exiledclaseboy

You've made this point before and imo it's rubbish. It takes time for non-Welsh speakers to spot the English, a split second maybe, but more time than maybe safe. We've all been told that it only takes a split second if lack in concentration to cause an accident.

There is absolutely no need for it.

Contrary to what people may think, I have very little issue with the language, other than it is forced upon us at some cost (more than the paper clips mentioned above I'd wager).

If people wish to speak it, do so. But switch off the life support machine.

Ok, who's first to have a go at me?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:30 - Sep 29 with 1631 viewsmonmouth

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:23 - Sep 29 by union_jack

You've made this point before and imo it's rubbish. It takes time for non-Welsh speakers to spot the English, a split second maybe, but more time than maybe safe. We've all been told that it only takes a split second if lack in concentration to cause an accident.

Contrary to what people may think, I have very little issue with the language, other than it is forced upon us at some cost (more than the paper clips mentioned above I'd wager).

No one will have a go at you.

Set you on fire, yes. Have a go, no.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:35 - Sep 29 with 1627 viewslifelong

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:30 - Sep 29 by monmouth

No one will have a go at you.

Set you on fire, yes. Have a go, no.

I was reading somewhere that over 1.5 million people in London don't use English as their first language, with many thousands of them unable to speak it at all.

Let's hope they don't visit Swansea via the Ynysforgan Roundabout or they'll be totally fecked.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2016 15:42]
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:51 - Sep 29 with 1612 viewsmonmouth

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:35 - Sep 29 by lifelong

I was reading somewhere that over 1.5 million people in London don't use English as their first language, with many thousands of them unable to speak it at all.

Let's hope they don't visit Swansea via the Ynysforgan Roundabout or they'll be totally fecked.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2016 15:42]

Not sure how anyone copes with the complexity that is the Ynysforgan Gyratory Spaghetti System to be honest.

Add in the confusion of Swansea and Abertawe ON THE SAME SIGN!. What on earth were they thinking??

Anyway, always happy to help.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:25 - Sep 29 with 1595 viewsUxbridge

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:23 - Sep 29 by union_jack

Do you have the same issue when there are two English place names on the same sign? Because it's effectively the same thing ...

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:29 - Sep 29 with 1593 viewsStarsky

Nobody reads the road signs. I bet you Feck it up everytime you use it.
Without even noticing

It's just the internet, init.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:42 - Sep 29 with 1587 viewslondonlisa2001

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 15:16 - Sep 29 by union_jack

So why not learn a language of more use first and take Welsh up at another point in time if necessary?

Because they already speak the language that is of most use in the world so it seems reasonable to me that the second language is the one of the land of their birth.

Why don't people in The Netherlands learn something other than Dutch? Because that's a useless language. So is German (which many on here are saying is useful). So is French.

Pretty much the only truly 'useful' languages in the world now are English, Cantonese and Spanish. Possibly Arabic.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:49 - Sep 29 with 1583 viewsLohengrin

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:42 - Sep 29 by londonlisa2001

Because they already speak the language that is of most use in the world so it seems reasonable to me that the second language is the one of the land of their birth.

Why don't people in The Netherlands learn something other than Dutch? Because that's a useless language. So is German (which many on here are saying is useful). So is French.

Pretty much the only truly 'useful' languages in the world now are English, Cantonese and Spanish. Possibly Arabic.

If language were purely a matter of utility we'd have no poets.

Handsome people like us couldn't live in a world like that.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:05 - Sep 29 with 1571 viewslondonlisa2001

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:49 - Sep 29 by Lohengrin

If language were purely a matter of utility we'd have no poets.

Handsome people like us couldn't live in a world like that.

Same applies to many other aspects of our lives. If all music was utilitarian nothing would be written other than 30 second jingles that could be used to sell us product.

I simply don't understand anyone who thinks that protecting and promoting the use of Welsh is unimportant.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:05 - Sep 29 with 1571 viewsunion_jack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:42 - Sep 29 by londonlisa2001

Well you've answered my question. There are 3 languages there of more use.

Better use of their time surely?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:08 - Sep 29 with 1566 viewsunion_jack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:25 - Sep 29 by Uxbridge

Do you have the same issue when there are two English place names on the same sign? Because it's effectively the same thing ...

To be fair, it's not so much place names, it's more safety signs or contractors signs which are more than a few words long and crammed onto a small piece of metal.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:12 - Sep 29 with 1566 viewslondonlisa2001

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:05 - Sep 29 by union_jack

Well you've answered my question. There are 3 languages there of more use.

Better use of their time surely?

No - since everyone already speaks the language that is most globally useful so Welsh is for cultural reasons rather than utilitarian reasons. In countries where the usual language is culturally important but useless in global terms then the second language has to be for utility.

As an aside, I'd love to see the reaction on here if every school kid in Wales was taught Arabic.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:53 - Sep 29 with 1545 viewsunion_jack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:12 - Sep 29 by londonlisa2001

No - since everyone already speaks the language that is most globally useful so Welsh is for cultural reasons rather than utilitarian reasons. In countries where the usual language is culturally important but useless in global terms then the second language has to be for utility.

As an aside, I'd love to see the reaction on here if every school kid in Wales was taught Arabic.

The point you make is valid but not one I agree with. I'd rather chose a language that could significantly increase the number of people I could communicate with.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:09 - Sep 29 with 1536 viewslondonlisa2001

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 17:53 - Sep 29 by union_jack

The point you make is valid but not one I agree with. I'd rather chose a language that could significantly increase the number of people I could communicate with.

Most people in Wales would find they could use Welsh far more often than any other language though. There's no NEED to as everyone speaks English, but they could do on a fairly frequent basis.

How often could most people use Chinese?
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:11 - Sep 29 with 1532 viewsCountyJim

My two daughters talk to each other in Welsh the buggers

im going to take lessons one day that will ave um
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024