Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everyone hates the Welsh language 17:39 - Sep 23 with 26206 viewsDarran

lol

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/carmarthen-bookshop-fails-to-sell-welsh-

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:23 - Sep 29 with 1498 viewsStarsky

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:29 - Sep 29 by Starsky

Nobody reads the road signs. I bet you Feck it up everytime you use it.
Without even noticing

Garymorningstarfeckoffffslmao

It's just the internet, init.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:58 - Sep 29 with 1475 viewsunion_jack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:09 - Sep 29 by londonlisa2001

Most people in Wales would find they could use Welsh far more often than any other language though. There's no NEED to as everyone speaks English, but they could do on a fairly frequent basis.

How often could most people use Chinese?

Lisa, the reality is that there is little appetite for it, even with the injection of cash.

Welsh schools churn out Welsh speakers who only speak English with eachother. Why? Because it's not cool.

If the appetite doesn't increase, is there a point in artificially sustaining it? serious question.

As for Chinese, there would be a greater chance of securing an international job. More people speak Mandarin Chinese than any other language. If you speak that and English, the world's your oyster!

I don't disagree with the cultural argument but it has to be supported by the people and presently I don't think it is. Certainly not in the south.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:20 - Sep 29 with 1469 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:58 - Sep 29 by union_jack

Lisa, the reality is that there is little appetite for it, even with the injection of cash.

Welsh schools churn out Welsh speakers who only speak English with eachother. Why? Because it's not cool.

If the appetite doesn't increase, is there a point in artificially sustaining it? serious question.

As for Chinese, there would be a greater chance of securing an international job. More people speak Mandarin Chinese than any other language. If you speak that and English, the world's your oyster!

I don't disagree with the cultural argument but it has to be supported by the people and presently I don't think it is. Certainly not in the south.

It is very cool.

Demand for school places out strips supply. Welsh school provision only ever goes up, never down.
Wiki says first school opened in 1956 and now 25 per cent of the pupils are educated in the welsh language.

The likes of Rambo, Joey, Ben, plus the rugby boys like Shane and Jonathan make a statement.
Not to mention the many actors - and all the smart welsh speaking female presenters who are mistly called Nia.

Are you stuck in 1962 or something ?

Beware of the Risen People

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:30 - Sep 29 with 1463 viewsunion_jack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:20 - Sep 29 by Kilkennyjack

It is very cool.

Demand for school places out strips supply. Welsh school provision only ever goes up, never down.
Wiki says first school opened in 1956 and now 25 per cent of the pupils are educated in the welsh language.

The likes of Rambo, Joey, Ben, plus the rugby boys like Shane and Jonathan make a statement.
Not to mention the many actors - and all the smart welsh speaking female presenters who are mistly called Nia.

Are you stuck in 1962 or something ?

Well I listen to those kids that are Welsh speakers and claim it's not cool. Maybe you are in denial.

And Welsh medium schools tend to have better facilities because they are newer. Presumably they are better funded or at least spend their allocated funding on educational matters not repair.

As for those you mention, I bet when they speak to eachother it's not in Welsh.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:50 - Sep 29 with 1447 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:30 - Sep 29 by union_jack

Well I listen to those kids that are Welsh speakers and claim it's not cool. Maybe you are in denial.

And Welsh medium schools tend to have better facilities because they are newer. Presumably they are better funded or at least spend their allocated funding on educational matters not repair.

As for those you mention, I bet when they speak to eachother it's not in Welsh.

Well you are wrong then.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:50 - Sep 29 with 1446 viewsexiledclaseboy

I fail to see how bilingual road signs can be confusing and/or dangerous to anyone of even sub par cognitive ability. I mean, to anyone raised in Wales they're second nature, they've been there our whole lives. Do you breathe a sigh of relief when you cross the border and think, "phew, I'm much safer now that I don't have to deal with deciding which place name to read"? I don't speak Welsh so I just naturally zone out the Welsh place names and concentrate on the English ones I can understand. I don't even notice the Welsh ones.

Taking Ynysforgan roundabout as an example, how fecking confusing can it be? Surely everyone knows that "Morriston" is "Treforys"? Ynysforgan is, well, Ynysforgan and Pontardawe is, um, Pomtardawe. How hard can it be?

Poll: Tory leader

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:52 - Sep 29 with 1440 viewsmonmouth

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:50 - Sep 29 by exiledclaseboy

I fail to see how bilingual road signs can be confusing and/or dangerous to anyone of even sub par cognitive ability. I mean, to anyone raised in Wales they're second nature, they've been there our whole lives. Do you breathe a sigh of relief when you cross the border and think, "phew, I'm much safer now that I don't have to deal with deciding which place name to read"? I don't speak Welsh so I just naturally zone out the Welsh place names and concentrate on the English ones I can understand. I don't even notice the Welsh ones.

Taking Ynysforgan roundabout as an example, how fecking confusing can it be? Surely everyone knows that "Morriston" is "Treforys"? Ynysforgan is, well, Ynysforgan and Pontardawe is, um, Pomtardawe. How hard can it be?

Yn galed iawn. Starsky. Twp.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 19:53 - Sep 29 with 1438 viewsKilkennyjack

😂😂😂

Login to get fewer ads

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 20:47 - Sep 29 with 1413 viewslondonlisa2001

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:58 - Sep 29 by union_jack

For me, yes, there is a point in sustaining it, whether or not it is fulfilling a real need or artificial (and I don't agree with your assertion that it is such).

We live in an increasingly undefined and intermingled world - at some point I have little doubt that we will all speak the same language - some sort of Chinese influenced English.

i have no problem with that - in fact I welcome it, but I hope that the traditional and ancient languages remain, alongside the global language that will emerge.

I like seeing the bilingual signs when I drive into Wales - it makes me feel at home. I particularly like that bit near Carmarthen when the signs from then on all switch the 'other way round' and become Welsh first and English second. It's part of our identity as a nation, and I don't think you can put a price on that.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 20:50 - Sep 29 with 1410 viewsexiledclaseboy

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 20:47 - Sep 29 by londonlisa2001

For me, yes, there is a point in sustaining it, whether or not it is fulfilling a real need or artificial (and I don't agree with your assertion that it is such).

We live in an increasingly undefined and intermingled world - at some point I have little doubt that we will all speak the same language - some sort of Chinese influenced English.

i have no problem with that - in fact I welcome it, but I hope that the traditional and ancient languages remain, alongside the global language that will emerge.

I like seeing the bilingual signs when I drive into Wales - it makes me feel at home. I particularly like that bit near Carmarthen when the signs from then on all switch the 'other way round' and become Welsh first and English second. It's part of our identity as a nation, and I don't think you can put a price on that.

Yeah but think of the confusion between Carmarthen and Caerfyrddin. Absolute carnage.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 20:56 - Sep 29 with 1394 viewslondonlisa2001

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 20:50 - Sep 29 by exiledclaseboy

Yeah but think of the confusion between Carmarthen and Caerfyrddin. Absolute carnage.

It's even worse when people see Dinbych y Pysgod.
Everyone hates the Welsh language on 20:57 - Sep 29 with 1392 viewsexiledclaseboy

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 20:56 - Sep 29 by londonlisa2001

It's even worse when people see Dinbych y Pysgod.

That one has always made me chuckle.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:02 - Sep 29 with 1381 viewsCatullus

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 16:25 - Sep 29 by Uxbridge

Do you have the same issue when there are two English place names on the same sign? Because it's effectively the same thing ...

Is it? Myself and my family were in tbe Maritime museum in the summer hols. Two young men were studying an interactive map of the area as we walked past. I don't know what their conversation was about but one said to the other "is Abertawe far from Swansea then"

And that is 100% true.

Roadsigns with a lot of names to read can cause a problem for people unfamiliar with the area, with any area. We all have seen cars/drivers who seem lost, who hesitate at junctions or make sudden lane changes, they're not all bad drivers, surely?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:08 - Sep 29 with 1376 viewsexiledclaseboy

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:02 - Sep 29 by Catullus

Is it? Myself and my family were in tbe Maritime museum in the summer hols. Two young men were studying an interactive map of the area as we walked past. I don't know what their conversation was about but one said to the other "is Abertawe far from Swansea then"

And that is 100% true.

Roadsigns with a lot of names to read can cause a problem for people unfamiliar with the area, with any area. We all have seen cars/drivers who seem lost, who hesitate at junctions or make sudden lane changes, they're not all bad drivers, surely?

They're not necessarily struggling with bilingual road signs either. They're probably just a bit lost. I dare say people get lost in England too where they have only one language on their signs. I got lost in Barking the other week trying to find a travelodge. Not a Welsh sign in sight.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2016 21:11]

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:15 - Sep 29 with 1364 viewsKilkennyjack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:02 - Sep 29 by Catullus

And that is 100% true.

You would think that somebody might invent a device to fit inside cars that could help drivers when they are unfamiliar with the areas in which they need to drive.

It would save reading maps and driving at the same time.
Dangerous that.
Especially in the dark.

Perhaps it could use satellites to help navigate the car.

Before long it could be in all cars and help drivers out.

Just a thought ...

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:10 - Sep 29 with 1347 viewsunion_jack

Because of course, only Welsh people drive on Welsh roads.

Anyway, as I clarified earlier, it's not place names so much but safety / information signs.

In Ireland I believe, they use a Celtic font for the Gaelic part. That's a good idea, why not here?

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:12 - Sep 29 with 1342 viewsexiledclaseboy

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:10 - Sep 29 by union_jack

Because of course, only Welsh people drive on Welsh roads.

Anyway, as I clarified earlier, it's not place names so much but safety / information signs.

In Ireland I believe, they use a Celtic font for the Gaelic part. That's a good idea, why not here?

Separate font would undoubtedly cost more mind. And are there lots of complaints from non-Welsh types who struggle with the signs?
[Post edited 29 Sep 2016 22:20]

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:13 - Sep 29 with 1342 viewsmonmouth

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 21:08 - Sep 29 by exiledclaseboy

They're not necessarily struggling with bilingual road signs either. They're probably just a bit lost. I dare say people get lost in England too where they have only one language on their signs. I got lost in Barking the other week trying to find a travelodge. Not a Welsh sign in sight.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2016 21:11]

Travelodge in Barking?

Life in the fast lane.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:17 - Sep 29 with 1340 viewsunion_jack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:12 - Sep 29 by exiledclaseboy

Separate font would undoubtedly cost more mind. And are there lots of complaints from non-Welsh types who struggle with the signs?
[Post edited 29 Sep 2016 22:20]

I bet that's not the reason it's not been done though.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:17 - Sep 29 with 1340 viewsexiledclaseboy

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:13 - Sep 29 by monmouth

Travelodge in Barking?

Life in the fast lane.

Cutbacks see. The Travelodge was allegedly in the "Docklands" which appeared to be just down the road from Barking.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2016 22:23]

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:18 - Sep 29 with 1274 viewsmonmouth

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:17 - Sep 29 by exiledclaseboy

Cutbacks see. The Travelodge was allegedly in the "Docklands" which appeared to be just down the road from Barking.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2016 22:23]

Sue them. Cruel and unusual punishment.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:22 - Sep 29 with 1273 viewsexiledclaseboy

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:17 - Sep 29 by union_jack

I bet that's not the reason it's not been done though.

No, the reason it's not been done is because it's not needed and the vast majority of drivers both local and otherwise manage just fine.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:45 - Sep 29 with 1258 viewsunion_jack

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 22:22 - Sep 29 by exiledclaseboy

No, the reason it's not been done is because it's not needed and the vast majority of drivers both local and otherwise manage just fine.

That's not the reason either.

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:23 - Sep 29 with 1241 viewsmorningstar

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 18:23 - Sep 29 by Starsky

Garymorningstarfeckoffffslmao

There's a simple solution. You do not ever, EVER down arrow me again, and also you have to down arrow every post that Darran and Jackfath make (but only when Jackfath is pretending to be Murph75). If you agree to this, then i will be nice to you and up arrow every single post you make.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:35 - Sep 29 with 1232 viewsmorningstar

Everyone hates the Welsh language on 23:23 - Sep 29 by morningstar

There's a simple solution. You do not ever, EVER down arrow me again, and also you have to down arrow every post that Darran and Jackfath make (but only when Jackfath is pretending to be Murph75). If you agree to this, then i will be nice to you and up arrow every single post you make.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024