Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gambling with our future? 16:31 - Oct 3 with 5148 viewslondonlisa2001

Some on here have asked the question if today is the day that our club ended as we know it.

Extreme? Possibly, yes. But in 6 months or so, we have gone from a fan owned 'proper football club', rightly lauded for our ability to 'do things differently' to a club making decisions for reasons that have almost nothing to do with football.

Because this is the first managerial appointment that I can think of which has been made for purely commercial reasons. Not the sacking of Guidolin, deeply unsavoury though the treatment of a real gentleman has been. But the appointment of Bob Bradley in his place. A man with a footballing record that can at best be described as fair to middling, yet a man who is as close to a household name in the US as any football manager can possibly be. Someone who has never been considered for any other Premier League position, and as the current manager of a French Second Division team, would be pretty low down any list of candidates we would or should reasonably expect.

Make no mistake, this decision has been made for one reason and one reason only. To dramatically increase the profile of a small, unfashionable mid table Premier League team. Outside the giants of the British game, there will be no Premier League club that is now more spoken about in the US media than Swansea City. No club that will receive more analysis. No club that will attract the attention of more vaguely interested US sports fans. When the attention of the US sports channels turns each week to the Premier League, few results if any will be reported before the result of Bob Bradley FC. In depth articles will be written on the 'breakthrough' of the first American manager to take over a top level team. Commentators will discuss at length his selections, formations and which US players would be best suited to join the Swansea 'roster'.

And that enormous boost to our profile will lead, or so our new owners hope, to an equally enormous boost to our commercial potential. Companies that would have rightly asked 'who' when our name was mentioned, will suddenly find us interesting. And when they hear of the rags to riches backstory, conveniently laid out (with some artistic licence) in a ready made film, then we suddenly become a very interesting proposition indeed.

The problem with all this, of course, is that we have relegation in the Premier League. And, however interested the US becomes in us, that interest will vanish overnight if we find ourselves in the championship next season. It will also take a hell of a lot of extra commercial activity to replace £150m each season in TV money.

I guess we now know what the new owners meant when they talked about 'increasing our commercial activity' and 'achieving the next level'.

But it's a huge gamble - swapping a tried and tested European manager who most fans believe would have kept us up bringing in another £150m or so, and the chance to do it again next year, for a few extra minutes on Fox every weekend, some Twitter trends and possible new deals for stadium naming rights and front of shirt. Deals that will last until the final whistle of our game against West Brom next May if Bob Bradley finds the Premier League too much for him.

Tell us Jason - do you feel lucky?
Gambling with our future? on 17:08 - Oct 3 with 4012 viewsjacktar

Some very good points there Lis. Being something of an optimist, I'm trying to look at some positives from some of the points you've made. I'm certainly not ready to write us off just yet but as you say a big gamble by the Mericans. Do they feel lucky? I think they'll need it, and it'll be their loss as much as ours if it all goes pear-shaped ................ but let's see eh.

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Gambling with our future? on 17:28 - Oct 3 with 3917 viewscostalotta

Not sure luck comes into Lis'

It may make some small differences in commercial activity but its success that breeds success and all that follows it, especially for football clubs.

There is not one positive thing i can say about BB coming in. I really hope I am wrong but this looks like going one way only. The EPL is unforgiving and not many managers who are new to the league do well, especially those with little footballing pedigree. There are exceptions of course but those are usually associated with the really big clubs with the big bucks.

Take Fulham from a few years - Magath.
Or WBA when the appointed that spanish fella.
Remi Garde - Villa

All massive failures but the parallels are remarkable as well as predictable and the guy we got doesn't have the CV that they had before the came here (EPL).

You might come back and say Laudrup... But he'd managed in the top flight of many european leagues. What about Sousa, well that was the Championship but at least he had that footballing pedigree and had achieved an awful lot in the game.
Gambling with our future? on 17:34 - Oct 3 with 3893 viewslondonlisa2001

Gambling with our future? on 17:28 - Oct 3 by costalotta

Not sure luck comes into Lis'

It may make some small differences in commercial activity but its success that breeds success and all that follows it, especially for football clubs.

There is not one positive thing i can say about BB coming in. I really hope I am wrong but this looks like going one way only. The EPL is unforgiving and not many managers who are new to the league do well, especially those with little footballing pedigree. There are exceptions of course but those are usually associated with the really big clubs with the big bucks.

Take Fulham from a few years - Magath.
Or WBA when the appointed that spanish fella.
Remi Garde - Villa

All massive failures but the parallels are remarkable as well as predictable and the guy we got doesn't have the CV that they had before the came here (EPL).

You might come back and say Laudrup... But he'd managed in the top flight of many european leagues. What about Sousa, well that was the Championship but at least he had that footballing pedigree and had achieved an awful lot in the game.

I wouldn't dream of saying Laudrup.

This is a farcical appointment. But the luck bit is they are gambling on a totally unproven manager at this level in return for massive US exposure and a lot more income.

The exposure bit will happen - you've only got to take a look at social media to see what the US TV people are saying, but on the field? Could take any manager from any lower league in the world and he could theoretically be a success. Chances are though...
Gambling with our future? on 17:34 - Oct 3 with 3893 viewsnierika

1. Swansea are already popular in the U.S. for a club outside of the giants and the TV ratings in recent years reflect that.

2. Outside of TODAY, I dont think there will be that much additional media coverage of Swansea. I can only assume that you are not very familiar with sports networks and programming in the U.S.

The biggest sports network, ESPN, doesnt cover a lot of Premier League outside of scores on the bottom crawl and will put the odd amazing goal in their top highlights. Im sure it will be mentioned on the 30 minute ESPNFC show that is on a few times a week but thats about it. ESPN has European Cup, Euro qualifiers, and MLS matches.

It will be mentioned on NBC Sports but they show and discuss EVERY EPL MATCH and dont favor certain teams. The commentators are English and Rebecca Lowe's husband works for Crystal Palace. You would never know that watching their coverage.

Fox Sports probably will discuss it but I dont really watch their news shows as NBC Sports has the Premier League rights. Fox does Bundesliga, Champions League and FA Cup matches.

BEIn Sports will mention it but they focus on La Liga, French League One, Serie A and they show the odd English Champiobship match. Oh, and CONCACAF/CONMEBOL World Cup qualifiers.

Bob Bradley was hired because they think he can keep us in the league, not for some infinitesimal bump in media coverage.
Gambling with our future? on 17:36 - Oct 3 with 3864 viewslondonlisa2001

Gambling with our future? on 17:34 - Oct 3 by nierika

1. Swansea are already popular in the U.S. for a club outside of the giants and the TV ratings in recent years reflect that.

2. Outside of TODAY, I dont think there will be that much additional media coverage of Swansea. I can only assume that you are not very familiar with sports networks and programming in the U.S.

The biggest sports network, ESPN, doesnt cover a lot of Premier League outside of scores on the bottom crawl and will put the odd amazing goal in their top highlights. Im sure it will be mentioned on the 30 minute ESPNFC show that is on a few times a week but thats about it. ESPN has European Cup, Euro qualifiers, and MLS matches.

It will be mentioned on NBC Sports but they show and discuss EVERY EPL MATCH and dont favor certain teams. The commentators are English and Rebecca Lowe's husband works for Crystal Palace. You would never know that watching their coverage.

Fox Sports probably will discuss it but I dont really watch their news shows as NBC Sports has the Premier League rights. Fox does Bundesliga, Champions League and FA Cup matches.

BEIn Sports will mention it but they focus on La Liga, French League One, Serie A and they show the odd English Champiobship match. Oh, and CONCACAF/CONMEBOL World Cup qualifiers.

Bob Bradley was hired because they think he can keep us in the league, not for some infinitesimal bump in media coverage.

Have a look at social media.

Bob Bradley was trending worldwide earlier.

Every major US media outlet is talking about it, sports related and other.
Gambling with our future? on 17:38 - Oct 3 with 3841 viewsnierika

Of course breaking news is going to get a lot of coverage TODAY.
Gambling with our future? on 17:43 - Oct 3 with 3822 viewslondonlisa2001

Gambling with our future? on 17:38 - Oct 3 by nierika

Of course breaking news is going to get a lot of coverage TODAY.

If they have appointed this bloke for football reasons then they are utterly clueless.

They have appointed him for commercial reasons.
Gambling with our future? on 17:46 - Oct 3 with 3799 viewsnierika

Gambling with our future? on 17:43 - Oct 3 by londonlisa2001

If they have appointed this bloke for football reasons then they are utterly clueless.

Perhaps you should reserve judgement of his football acumen until he actually gets to manage a few matches.
Login to get fewer ads

Gambling with our future? on 17:50 - Oct 3 with 3774 viewsjacktar

If that's the case Lis, do you think HJ & Co. will try and get some more EPL experience in his backroom? ................................ Then again, HJ ..........................................Naah ......................... Silly question really!

We shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush you know!

Gambling with our future? on 17:52 - Oct 3 with 3763 viewslondonlisa2001

Gambling with our future? on 17:46 - Oct 3 by nierika

Perhaps you should reserve judgement of his football acumen until he actually gets to manage a few matches.

Yeah - after all, he's only 58, it's not like he's had time yet to show enough to get any team in a decent league to hire him is it.
Gambling with our future? on 18:05 - Oct 3 with 3727 viewsdobjack2

Gambling with our future? on 17:50 - Oct 3 by jacktar

If that's the case Lis, do you think HJ & Co. will try and get some more EPL experience in his backroom? ................................ Then again, HJ ..........................................Naah ......................... Silly question really!

This appointment suggests to me that judas won't be in his job for much longer either.
Gambling with our future? on 18:11 - Oct 3 with 3692 viewslondonlisa2001

Gambling with our future? on 17:50 - Oct 3 by jacktar

Genuinely - I have no idea.

I don't believe for one second HJ wanted this, whatever puff is put out there.
Gambling with our future? on 18:13 - Oct 3 with 3683 viewsnierika

Gambling with our future? on 17:52 - Oct 3 by londonlisa2001

Yeah - after all, he's only 58, it's not like he's had time yet to show enough to get any team in a decent league to hire him is it.

He has previously been considered to manage West Brom, Aston Villa, Fulham and Hull City. But please continue to write him off because of his age and where he has been.
Gambling with our future? on 18:19 - Oct 3 with 3651 viewsBloodyhills

Gambling with our future? on 17:46 - Oct 3 by nierika

If it were all about football then Guidolin would have been given another handful of games at least as the team had been improving a lot the last few games.

Also what you are saying there is that we shouldn't judge him until he has had a few games here.

Imagine clubs took that view, when looking to appoint a manger. But they don't do they! They look at their past record and interview them. Looking at his past record he has done nothing to indicate he can cut it at this level

It's a huge gamble.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Gambling with our future? on 18:23 - Oct 3 with 3629 viewslondonlisa2001

Gambling with our future? on 18:13 - Oct 3 by nierika

He has previously been considered to manage West Brom, Aston Villa, Fulham and Hull City. But please continue to write him off because of his age and where he has been.

As I said - no club has hired him. Failing at the interview stage with 4 other not very good clubs is hardly an endorsement is it?

Have you seen the dross that those clubs you mentioned have hired? And he wasn't better than them?
Gambling with our future? on 18:31 - Oct 3 with 3598 viewsVinnie

In answer to your first sentence,yes.What made Swansea City unique among all others at the level they are now is now dead and buried.I used to be proud of that football club.Now it just the same as all the rest.
Gambling with our future? on 18:33 - Oct 3 with 3581 viewsSwansNZ

This appointment is exactly the same as us appointing Ricki Herbert as manager - If our previous owners had sold out to some Kiwis instead of Yanks.

I'm fecking p1ssed off right now.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Gambling with our future? on 18:36 - Oct 3 with 3570 viewsSwanseajill

Gambling with our future? on 18:33 - Oct 3 by SwansNZ

This appointment is exactly the same as us appointing Ricki Herbert as manager - If our previous owners had sold out to some Kiwis instead of Yanks.

I'm fecking p1ssed off right now.

I think the majority are with you on that score.
Gambling with our future? on 18:53 - Oct 3 with 3512 viewsSgorioFruit

I'm sickened with the sacking of the Italian and the appointing of the yank. Money money money money money money money. Now let's see if the yanks can keep Swansea in the premier league with a manager who no one wants. Absolutely disgusting behaviour from our board of directors today. Sold our soul. End of

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Gambling with our future? on 19:47 - Oct 3 with 3372 viewsNookiejack

When we get relegated and the Americans:-

1. sell off all our best players and the players on the highest wages and replace them with players on £1k a week
2. bank the parachute money over the next 2 seasons.

Is there any way they can get money out of the club - to pay back their investment - I assume through dividends - without having to also pay the Trust's 21% share?
Gambling with our future? on 19:54 - Oct 3 with 3324 viewslondonlisa2001

Gambling with our future? on 19:47 - Oct 3 by Nookiejack

When we get relegated and the Americans:-

1. sell off all our best players and the players on the highest wages and replace them with players on £1k a week
2. bank the parachute money over the next 2 seasons.

Is there any way they can get money out of the club - to pay back their investment - I assume through dividends - without having to also pay the Trust's 21% share?

There is no mechanism for them paying dividends and not paying the trust a dividend.

There is a mechanism for them appointing themselves as 'consultants' and taking a salary.

i don't actually think they are asset stripping Nookie - I think they are stupid / misguided / inexperienced.
Gambling with our future? on 20:00 - Oct 3 with 3268 viewslonglostjack

Superb post.

Edit: Referring to Lisa's original.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2016 20:04]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Gambling with our future? on 20:53 - Oct 3 with 3129 viewscostalotta

Yes, but commercial success will likely only happen if we have success on the pitch. By that i mean winning enough football matches to remain the EPL. IN fact, i'd probably go a little further and saying upsetting the big boys now and again . Football is about winning; thats successful and with that comes everything else (commercial success).

I probably explained that badly but hopefully you get the gist.
Gambling with our future? on 20:56 - Oct 3 with 3104 viewscostalotta

Gambling with our future? on 18:11 - Oct 3 by londonlisa2001

Genuinely - I have no idea.

I don't believe for one second HJ wanted this, whatever puff is put out there.

He may not have wanted it this but he certainly christened the boat. Come on...Its his and the actions of other boards members that have got us to where we are whether or not he appointed BB.

In fact you could say the Americans have played a blinder here. Who'd have thought eh?
Gambling with our future? on 20:57 - Oct 3 with 3097 viewslondonlisa2001

Gambling with our future? on 20:53 - Oct 3 by costalotta

Yes, but commercial success will likely only happen if we have success on the pitch. By that i mean winning enough football matches to remain the EPL. IN fact, i'd probably go a little further and saying upsetting the big boys now and again . Football is about winning; thats successful and with that comes everything else (commercial success).

I probably explained that badly but hopefully you get the gist.

I agree with you - thats the bit they don't get. I really don't think they understand how hard this league is. It's a massive gamble, but the commercial returns are only too obvious - look at some of our American fans saying about the number of people talking about this in the US.

I'm waiting to see who our coaches are...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024