Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? 21:07 - Oct 5 with 5327 viewsswansvalleyjack

Judging by “social media”, it suggests that much of the Swansea fanbase is unhappy with the sacking of Guidolin.

But I don’t believe this is the case.

In summary, here’s my take (and of others I know):

1. When he arrived, his only task was to keep us up. And I amongst many was willing him to succeed. He did that in fairness — though it can be argued that Alan Curtis might well have done the same. Guidolin is often credited with the crucial Arsenal result —but Curt changed that game. Ditto Guidolin with the great West Ham result — but arguably they were on the beach that weekend & waiting primarily for the last Boleyn game v Man Utd.
2. Tbh, if Guidolin at the end of the season had been offered the Italy job, many would have been pleased to see him leave us. While he is undoubtedly a really nice guy, his tactics, communication and leadership were not really convincing. But as he was not offered the national job, then the Club had no option but to offer a new contract — we would rightly have been pilloried if we didn’t renew !
3. So...trying to look positive for the upcoming season, we hoped that Guidolin could refresh the squad (hopefully using his contacts), work with them pre-season and develop a way forward that wasn’t primarily defensive. And improve his English for better communication.
4. But the reality turned out to be different :
- The Club itself identified transfer targets …and worse, Guidolin seemed not to be bothered at all, nor in pursuing any contacts he surely would have had on the continent.
- From what we are hearing, pre-season (and the end of last season) found various difficulties between Guidolin and some players.
- Then the style of play in the new season hardly excited - despite Guidolin previously saying that he had loved watching the “Swansea way”; in fact some of the games were quite appalling, and also no-one seemed clear on what our tactics were.
- The communication had also not really improved . How frustrating to continually hear things like “ I am appy with squad, we play good game, we maybe deserve better, but this is football” etc etc. (I for one would have liked him to speak in depth in Italian with a top notch interpreter, so as to get a real insight to his thinking… but I don’t think this has ever happened). I suspect communication on the training ground was not good either.
5. Plus we had the Taylor and Ki issues, not saying this is all Guidloin’s fault, but clearly there were issues behind the scenes. No-one outside knows the details, but those within the Club would have known- and yet another factor in reaching the decision to let him go.
6. The support for Guidolin through “social media” also seems inextricably influenced by the vitriol towards the Club hierarchy over the takeover issues, and the (crap) Jenkins transfer window. The latter I agree with btw ! But Guidolin should have been stronger in that window !
7. So on balance, there was good reason to remove Guidolin. Pre the Bradley link, you could hear the discontent over Guidolin in the “bars and terraces”. Fans were definitely not happy and there was a real feeling of — relegation with this guy in charge. Despite player limitations, surely he could have got more out of them, plus better tactics/formations ?
8. And let’s not get too sentimental either …yes it was his birthday, but with an “x million” pay-off ! Once a manager has been appointed to a Premier League Club, it’s a win-win for them whatever happens.
So we are where we are. Not everyone is unhappy with Guidolin going & he’s got a nice pay-off. Not everyone is opposed to Bob Bradley. Hopefully it will be a good move (despite the obvious US marketing link). He seems like a breath of fresh air. We should give him full support from day one and — like Guidolin - judge him on results/performances. STID
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:10 - Oct 5 with 3094 viewsDarran

I'm not unhappy about anything.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:11 - Oct 5 with 3093 viewsLeonisGod

No, it's the manner of the way he was replaced before he was sacked that's caused the outrage. All hoared in the media too.

Regarding the football, we were flat and frustratingly defensive/reactive at times. It's a hasty sacking for us, but something wasn't quite right behind the scenes for sure.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:12 - Oct 5 with 3079 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Hello Huw, posting under a new name now?
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:16 - Oct 5 with 3042 viewsHugeEnkins

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:10 - Oct 5 by Darran

Reading all that was a ball ache though.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:18 - Oct 5 with 3028 viewsjasper_T

I'm unhappy he's gone.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:19 - Oct 5 with 3014 viewsWarwickHunt

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:16 - Oct 5 by HugeEnkins

Brevity is the soul of wit.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:19 - Oct 5 with 3001 viewsBanosswan

A lot of verbal diarrhoea on the site today.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:20 - Oct 5 with 2996 viewsDarran

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:16 - Oct 5 by HugeEnkins

Apart from that.

Login to get fewer ads

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:26 - Oct 5 with 2961 viewsQuincy999

I'm not unhappy Guidolin has gone. I was initially underwhelmed the appointment of Bradley but I'm starting to look at the positives and what he can do rather than what he can't. He will get the team fit, which i don't think they are at the moment. He will motivate them better and he will communicate with them properly.

I know it is controversial to post this on this board but i do not particularly blame the new owners for not consulting with the Trust with the appointment.
They knew who they wanted, they knew the Trust would disagree. They may have also feared a leak of some sort that would have made the appointment more difficult.
It's like a teenager asking his parents if he can go out drinking all night, the answer would be no so most do not ask.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 21:27]
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:27 - Oct 5 with 2950 viewsBorojack

I dont get why we gave him a contract in the summer and sacked him after 7 games.
We played pretty well against Chelsea City and Liverpool got a good win at Burnley.
The Hull game could have gone either way.
So it was only Leicester and Southampton where we played really poorly.
He deserved more time for what he achieved last season.
Taylor and Ki stropping about didnt help either also was let down by Jenkins in the summer.
All in all pretty poor from the club but we need to move on now dont have a choice really.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:32 - Oct 5 with 2924 viewsDarran

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:27 - Oct 5 by Borojack

I dont get why we gave him a contract in the summer and sacked him after 7 games.
We played pretty well against Chelsea City and Liverpool got a good win at Burnley.
Taylor and Ki stropping about didnt help either also was let down by Jenkins in the summer.
All in all pretty poor from the club but we need to move on now dont have a choice really.

I'm sure he made a few bob out of it.

N/A. on 21:34 - Oct 5 with 2906 viewsHuw57

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:27 - Oct 5 by Borojack

N/A.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2018 1:36]

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:35 - Oct 5 with 2895 viewsEilian

I'm very glad he's gone! Let's be honest with our selves. The football under him was terrible! He used to make som real cowardly substitutions.
Some people were looking back at games from 2/3 years ago and thinking wtf has happened to our club.
He should never have been given a new contract. That is the real crime here.

Let's move forward with Bob. I for one think that he is going to do an outstanding job!
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:47 - Oct 5 with 2835 viewsHugeEnkins

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:35 - Oct 5 by Eilian

I'm very glad he's gone! Let's be honest with our selves. The football under him was terrible! He used to make som real cowardly substitutions.
Some people were looking back at games from 2/3 years ago and thinking wtf has happened to our club.

Let's move forward with Bob. I for one think that he is going to do an outstanding job!

Bob a job?

Here's hoping.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:50 - Oct 5 with 2818 viewsBorojack

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:32 - Oct 5 by Darran

I'm sure he made a few bob out of it.

Ýes no doubt not reallty the point though cost a couple of million quid to get shot and after Jenkins blamed Monks sacking and poor signings for the losses incurred recently.
Another pi$$ poor decision by the club.
But we need to back Bob now its not his fault we have a sneaky buffoon as DOF.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins be sacked

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:22 - Oct 5 with 2692 viewsjasper_T

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:35 - Oct 5 by Eilian

He played the best football possible with the squad he was given.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:24 - Oct 5 with 2685 viewsowainglyndwr

Do you live in Alltwen ' Rhos area and initials of HJ
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:28 - Oct 5 with 2665 viewsAngelRangelQS

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:26 - Oct 5 by Quincy999

I'm not unhappy Guidolin has gone. I was initially underwhelmed the appointment of Bradley but I'm starting to look at the positives and what he can do rather than what he can't. He will get the team fit, which i don't think they are at the moment. He will motivate them better and he will communicate with them properly.

I know it is controversial to post this on this board but i do not particularly blame the new owners for not consulting with the Trust with the appointment.
They knew who they wanted, they knew the Trust would disagree. They may have also feared a leak of some sort that would have made the appointment more difficult.
It's like a teenager asking his parents if he can go out drinking all night, the answer would be no so most do not ask.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 21:27]

Oh well if you can compare a board of directors making two big recruitment decisions to a teenager going out drinking, that's ok then!
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:28 - Oct 5 with 2662 viewsEilian

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:22 - Oct 5 by jasper_T

He played the best football possible with the squad he was given.

Bull shit!

The team lacked tempo and energy. They were clueless in attack. We were shit! No doubt about it!
We made Hull city look like footballing gods.
The team we were promoted with would beat his team easily. Go and watch some youTube videos of our first year in the prem.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:29 - Oct 5 with 2662 viewsowainglyndwr

I am unhappy the way we treated the man.
The club are at fault. They shkuld not of renewed the contract and get to this embarrassing situation.
Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:33 - Oct 5 with 2626 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I'm not too unhappy he's gone but I'm concerned that we've taken a massive gamble in our choice of replacement.

There are plenty of holes in your theories in my opinion. The first one being that West Ham were on the beach when they had a real chance of Champions league qualification at the time.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:40 - Oct 5 with 2588 viewsPrivate_Partz

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 21:18 - Oct 5 by jasper_T

I'm unhappy he's gone.

Yeh so am I and I am certainly not gong to read that lot to change my kind. Very few people have said to me that that they are glad he has gone. None of the polls suggested so. Even in the Cardiff media.
I am confident we would have stayed up with him in charge.
Bringing in Boo is a massive gamble. Bigger than Gary Monk's appointment and that was reckless. I was amazed we improved our league position the following year. After that nothing surprises me in football.
I think this appointment is even more reckless. I will be pleased as punch if it works as it will bring massive worldwide publicity to the club and city.
I won't change my mind on how dangerous the appointment was, even if it is a resounding success. I also won't forget how we ditched a good and honourable manager in the most cynical of fashion for a purely commercial gamble.
It is done and dusted now and raking over it all to diss FG is completely pointless. We have much bigger things to worry about although I wish Frankie well in whatever he does in the future.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 22:42]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:42 - Oct 5 with 2571 viewsDarran

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:40 - Oct 5 by Private_Partz

Yeh so am I and I am certainly not gong to read that lot to change my kind. Very few people have said to me that that they are glad he has gone. None of the polls suggested so. Even in the Cardiff media.
I am confident we would have stayed up with him in charge.
Bringing in Boo is a massive gamble. Bigger than Gary Monk's appointment and that was reckless. I was amazed we improved our league position the following year. After that nothing surprises me in football.
I think this appointment is even more reckless. I will be pleased as punch if it works as it will bring massive worldwide publicity to the club and city.
I won't change my mind on how dangerous the appointment was, even if it is a resounding success. I also won't forget how we ditched a good and honourable manager in the most cynical of fashion for a purely commercial gamble.
It is done and dusted now and raking over it all to diss FG is completely pointless. We have much bigger things to worry about although I wish Frankie well in whatever he does in the future.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 22:42]

Oh God please tell me you're not going to go on about Frankie for the next three years in the same way you've gone on about Mikey?

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:45 - Oct 5 with 2553 viewsPrivate_Partz

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:42 - Oct 5 by Darran

Oh God please tell me you're not going to go on about Frankie for the next three years in the same way you've gone on about Mikey?

I won't if you don't. ML and Jack Army are your favourite subjects. ;-)
As usual I am only replying. I never start the threads. Perhaps my last paragraph may allay your fears.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Guidolin - are we really unhappy he's gone ? on 22:46 - Oct 5 with 2541 viewshammy

Will reserve judgement for a couple of months and see how Big Bob gets on

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024