Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea - Judicial Capital of Wales 17:15 - Nov 3 with 1601 viewsjohnlangy

From memory there was 100% support on this board for the suggestion in another thread that the WAG should 'Invest in The Whole of Wales, Not Just Cardiff'. And a large part of that thread was about investment in Swansea. Hardly surprising. What are your thoughts on the following.

First off is the email I sent to Dai Lloyd (AM) followed by his response.
Dear Mr Lloyd,

You spoke some time ago about the above subject and suggested that, if/when a Welsh judiciary is set up it should be based in Swansea. As the question of devolving more powers to Wales is discussed this is one of the areas regularly mentioned.

I would like Plaid to adopt a policy of Swansea being made the judicial Capital of Wales (That, I seem to remember, is also the way you worded your idea at the time).

If a Welsh based supreme court is established, along with all the trappings associated with it, it would provide an enormous boost to the area where it is based. There would not only be a huge investment in an appropriate building, a Welsh Old Bailey if you like, but also a large number of well paid jobs and also the prestige of being the Judicial Capital. A totally disproportionate amount of governmental development has already gone to Cardiff and it would be a travesty of justice, no pun intended, if this and all other devolved functions continue to be based in Cardiff. I hope no one says, yet again, that this sort of thing benefits all of Wales because it’s a lie. It benefits Cardiff and Cardiff alone. I’ve said many times that Labour in the Assembly put Project Cardiff ahead of Project Wales. Each time one of these major decisions is made in Cardiff’s favour it just reinforces that fact.

There are complaints on a daily basis that the infrastructure around Cardiff is creaking and everyone argues that the M4 relief road is desperately needed along with the Metro. It’s hardly surprising when everyone is funnelled into Cardiff because that is where the vast majority of the well paid jobs are. It’s also where successive governments have colluded to ensure all the major sporting and entertainment events happen. Those same governments (Labour every time) have also ensured that Cardiff is the only place in Wales with decent, 21st century shopping facilities. It can’t be a coincidence that all the exciting plans for redevelopment of Swansea City Centre never get past the drawings stage. I’ll believe the latest plan is going to happen when the work actually starts and not before.

If all the facilities and developments continue to go to Cardiff MORE and MORE people will use the trains and buses to get there and then, in a few years time there’ll be another clamour for infrastructure investment in the South East. If more development was to happen in the West then people using the M4 this side of Cardiff would have to turn West rather than East thus easing the pressure on Cardiff.

Plaid is in a position of strength at the moment. We should use it.
Dear Mr. Young,

Thank you for your detailed analysis and I agree with you , naturally. This is also Plaid’s policy position from some years ago. Discussions are ongoing with the new Wales Bill about the judiciary and further devolution,- we await events there. Our policy work is developing to best take advantage of any new powers. Thank you for your view , and I shall feed it into our policy network in Plaid Cymru.

Yours sincerely,

Dr. Dai Lloyd AM

Thoughts ?
Swansea - Judicial Capital of Wales on 17:18 - Nov 3 with 1595 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Very well written and a well engaged reply. Although N Wales would probably have a shout

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Swansea - Judicial Capital of Wales on 17:38 - Nov 3 with 1564 viewstrampie

Plaid the party of Wales will distribute wealth to all areas, its always been Plaids strategy, Plaids heartlands are also far away from Kaardiff.

Plaids Dr Dai Lloyd is a GP in Swansea isn't he johnlangy ?

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Swansea - Judicial Capital of Wales on 17:46 - Nov 3 with 1558 viewsjohnlangy

Swansea - Judicial Capital of Wales on 17:38 - Nov 3 by trampie

Plaid the party of Wales will distribute wealth to all areas, its always been Plaids strategy, Plaids heartlands are also far away from Kaardiff.

Plaids Dr Dai Lloyd is a GP in Swansea isn't he johnlangy ?

Yes Trampie. He is.
Swansea - Judicial Capital of Wales on 23:03 - Nov 4 with 1469 viewsPrivate_Partz

An excellent effort as usual John and sorry I am late in responding. There have been lots of issues on the football board you know. :-))
It is good that Dai Lloyd / Plaid agree with your very well worded email and they still seem our only hope of a fairer investment across Wales.
It seem lessons are not being learned by Welsh Labour and I suspect we will have far less investment in Wales by losing our EU funding. This as a direct result of Brexit ( I still cling to the slighthope it will fall on it's ass btw). What little is left will continue to be pumped in to Project Cardiff and the decline of Labour in Wales will continue.
Having said that Plaid really need to step up to the plate. They have put their name to the pathetic 15 page document produced by Carwyn and Co on their plans for the next 5 year term. As usual it shows very little transport infastructure outside of the SE of Wales. Investment without decent transport links can never happen.
Let's hope we start to see a concerted response from Leanne and Co in the near future.
Your ideas on the Welsh Judiciary are an excellent example of how Government can directly create investment in other parts of the country by creating Public Sectir jobs in those areas. It flies in the face of HMRC however as both Private and Public investment continues to be centred within the Cardiff bubble.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea - Judicial Capital of Wales on 23:14 - Nov 4 with 1457 viewsKilkennyjack

Well done John mate. 👏

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea - Judicial Capital of Wales on 23:19 - Nov 4 with 1451 viewsLeonisGod

Thoughts? I suspect the relevance of Plaid is low enough to make any thoughts irrelevant, sadly.
Swansea - Judicial Capital of Wales on 09:50 - Nov 5 with 1377 viewsjohnlangy

Swansea - Judicial Capital of Wales on 23:03 - Nov 4 by Private_Partz

An excellent effort as usual John and sorry I am late in responding. There have been lots of issues on the football board you know. :-))
It is good that Dai Lloyd / Plaid agree with your very well worded email and they still seem our only hope of a fairer investment across Wales.
It seem lessons are not being learned by Welsh Labour and I suspect we will have far less investment in Wales by losing our EU funding. This as a direct result of Brexit ( I still cling to the slighthope it will fall on it's ass btw). What little is left will continue to be pumped in to Project Cardiff and the decline of Labour in Wales will continue.
Having said that Plaid really need to step up to the plate. They have put their name to the pathetic 15 page document produced by Carwyn and Co on their plans for the next 5 year term. As usual it shows very little transport infastructure outside of the SE of Wales. Investment without decent transport links can never happen.
Let's hope we start to see a concerted response from Leanne and Co in the near future.
Your ideas on the Welsh Judiciary are an excellent example of how Government can directly create investment in other parts of the country by creating Public Sectir jobs in those areas. It flies in the face of HMRC however as both Private and Public investment continues to be centred within the Cardiff bubble.

No problem at all. I've been reading the football threads as well. It is pretty time consuming.

I had wondered at the lack of responses. I thought this would get more people thinking what if. I sent a response back to Dai Lloyd as follows.
Many thanks for the quick reply Mr Lloyd.

I wanted to let you know that i’m going to start a thread on the Swans fansnetwork website on this subject. I don’t know if you ever visit the site but there’s a non-football forum and, when there’s a political thread of substance responses can be in the hundreds with reads in the thousands. It’s a tremendous forum for getting views and opinions across to a large number of people. Also policies. I knew you had said this but I didn’t know that it was Plaid’s position. And i’m a party member. I’d imagine no one else on that site would know it either.

I created a thread earlier this year titled ‘Invest in the Whole of Wales, Not Just Cardiff’ which was obviously a message to the WAG. Every single person who replied was very strongly behind the idea and a huge amount of the thread referred to investment in Swansea. If those people are made aware of a Plaid position that is as pro Swansea as this one that would naturally translate into votes for Plaid.

I wouldn’t expect you to reply on the thread given your position but it may very well be worthwhile you checking out the responses just to be aware of the general feeling.

Going back to the point about a ‘Welsh Old Bailey’, I can’t think of one iconic building in Swansea. The Guildhall is very nice but hardly iconic. When people hear the name Cardiff they probably think of the Millennium Stadium, the Millennium Centre, the Sennedd and the castle (I cant blame the WAG for that one). If this was to happen I would hope that the building created would be a world class design and build unlike anything else so that the image would say Swansea as soon as people see it.

Idealistic I know but that’s what I would like to see happen.

I've mentioned this site to others as well as Dai Lloyd hoping they'll pick up on the strength of feeling here on the investment imbalance (they must already know but this site would reinforce their understanding).

Leon says Plaid is irrelevant. Well, they are the second largest party in the WAG and are the only party in a position to affect Labour's stance. I don't call that irrelevant.

If we want Labour to change who else is going to persuade them to do it ?
Swansea - Judicial Capital of Wales on 15:22 - Nov 5 with 1323 viewsCopperJack

Excellent letter Langy, great idea as usual. After Plaid launched their campaign at Legoland and ratified Labour's Cardiff centric budget, I have list some faith in their pledge to invest in all of Wales. Nevertheless, Labour has a proven track record of neglecting Swansea, and the rest of Wales, to further accentuate the wealth gap in Wales, so what else gave we to lose?

Would be a brilliant idea if it came off, but I don't ever see a Welsh government investing outside of their pet project, turning Cardiff into a city state

Poll: The 2016 Assembly Elections: Which way will you be voting & why?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024